THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self absorbed art thread!/Thread containing my artwork.  (Read 5196 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

So, yeah. Here's my work.

This is my first attempt ever at continuous line.

I was in advanced printmaking for most of my high school years, so here is some of my work.

This is an etching I made using a sheet of hard plastic, and a needle tool.

This is a monotype that I did in about 10 minutes as a last minute entry for a show. Surprisingly, it has actually won some awards. This picture doesn't do it much justice.

This is actually the collage I made in order to get a print off of it. The black color is the residue left from printing it, and the yellow color comes from the varnish I used to seal it so the ink wouldn't soak through, and become absorbed by the materials, instead of the paper. I don't have the print I made from this, because I only printed an artist's proof, and that's been lost for years. I think only two people ever got to see it, and that would be my teacher and I. Most people like the collage as is though. It once hung at a local gallery.

This is another monotype I did. I actually made this in between two classes. I don't really like this one, and I ended up leaving it at my school. A year later I returned to pick up a lot of the stuff that I did leave, and wanted, and I found this framed and mounted.

This is part of the collection of war helmets at our local art museum. I used to go there once a month and draw some of the work. This has hung in the student gallery there twice, and at a few local shows, as well.

This is a water color and colored pencil drawing I did for a class. Everyone tells me that the shadowing on the apple it off. It's not freaking off. I was in a fucking shitty-ly lit school room. I had light coming from three different directions, yet still had shadows. This is how the shadow looked.

A triptych I made involving random song lyrics, and robots. It's really cliched, I know, but I like it. The longer one(the second picture) goes in the middle. The longer one is also a print, whereas the other two are drawings.

Last but not least is a oil drawing I did for an AP Art course. I hated the course because me and the teacher did not get along for shit("It's not art. I wouldn't want to hang it in my home. F." Well, I'm not making art for you to hang in your home, old lady.) It was supposed to be done in the genre of surrealism. My teacher told me it was rubbish before we had the critique, but our guest "critquer"   said it was the best thing she had seen. Whatever.

Sorry for the shitty quality pictures. So what do you guys think?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
Re: Self absorbed art thread!/Thread containing my artwork.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2007, 15:41 »

I love so many things about your artwork, and obviously, your teacher was hella wrong.  I would hang the apple up right beside that awesome, AWESOME, war helmet (envy!!!!!!!!), and put the monotype up right above my bed where I would see it every night.
I appreciate the technical ability, creativity, and the whimsical, creative ideas of each piece, but in the triptych, I feel like it could be more finished.
But, come on, who doesn't want to see song-spouting robots really come to life with color or shading?

hypeserver

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2007, 17:37 »

I think they're awesome! Do you have a deviantart? I usually publish my artworks there.

HPPH

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:42 »

I'm always happy to see more people using etching. What type of plates(besides the plastic one) did you use (nickel, aluminum, copper)? Have you tried lino/wood cut yet? You don't even need a press to print your work. I usually use a spoon for that.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2007, 13:22 »

I've used nickel, and aluminum. I've done woodcuts before, but I haven't in a long time. Spoons are ok for printing, but I prefer using a brayer, mostly because I'd always end up hurting my knuckles with a spoon.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

HPPH

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2007, 15:08 »

Eh, I've found with brayers that I can't apply the same pressure as with a wooden spoon.

Oh, this is a good one if you're on a budget: particle board aka hard board aka masonite. Much much cheaper than wood and it cuts easier. Of course you only have one side you can essentially work on. It takes ink well.

Ally

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2007, 15:18 »

One summer I got to use a printing press. Rolled like a dream. I have a piece of lino right now but no way to cut it, achh. Are the cutty things expensive? I probably won't do lino again in ages so I don't want to buy something but I don't really feel like waiting until September to cut it.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2007, 17:21 »

Depends on the quality. Lino tools usually aren't expensive. The set I bought for woodcuts, however, were over $20 for a set of 5. Also bigger woodworking tools will be more like $20+ per tool.

I use wooden knobs for relief cuts. If you get two wooden knobs like you'd use for cabinet doors and glue the ends together, you get nice pressure out of it and it doesn't hurt my hand like using a spoon does. I love presses, but I really prefer hand printing relief cuts, because you can control it more and get richer tones/color.

Also, MDF is a bit thicker than masonite and is a bit easier to carve due to less slippage. I use this if I'm using more than 2 blocks. Otherwise, I'm a big fan of poplar or pine. (I personally like the grain to show.)

/printing nerdiness
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2007, 17:49 »

Isn't the dust from MDF carcinogenic? Do you have to be really careful? I suppose carving it might not produce dust. Ach, I dunno what I'm talking about really.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2007, 07:34 »

Not that I know of. It's compressed sawdust as far as I know and used for building things and whatnot, so though I'm not really sure, I doubt it. (Though if it is, I've inhaled worse things...)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jun 2007, 10:15 »

I think it's because it is bonded with formaldehyde, but I think the amount of formaldehyde depends on the country you live in. I know we're told in Britain not to inhale the dust and also that if you're using it in furniture it must be properly sealed, but to be fair nearly everything apparently causes cancer nowadays. :P It's just something to bear in mind anyway.

HPPH

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2007, 10:22 »

MDF... if I recall correctly that's the cheapy wood like stuff and is safe. It's etching and litho that'll give you worse ailments.

As for cutting lino, I've cut that stuff with xacto blades (but don't buy xacto gouges. They are less than useless) for line work. It doesn't take that much effort. In fact, before doing wide area cuts, I use an xacto blade to delineate the shape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up