THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indie Electronica recommends  (Read 14471 times)

Valdemar

Re: Indie Electronica recommends
« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2007, 11:06 »

That's a mindboggling viewpoint if there ever was one :?

therisingend

« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2007, 12:36 »

Dream Theater use keyboards and I wouldn't really call them electronica prog rock

well i wasnt really talking about keyboards in general. i was mainly talking about electronica keyboard stuff, sorry for ot making that clear. "these arms are snakes" has a very electronica sound. and i think if people concider "the postal service" indie electronica
then "these arms are snakes" are also indie electronica....
 :?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #52 on: 27 Mar 2007, 17:11 »

I'm on a Temporary Residence Limited kick right now so I'm going to recommend:
Kammerflimmer Kollektief
Sybarite
Cex
Fridge

All four of those are (or were in kk's case) on the TRL label and each is fantastic example of electronicy goodness. Well worth looking into. I love most of the stuff done by all those bands.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

djcuddlefish

• Not quite a lurker
  • anybody seen my shoes?
« Reply #53 on: 27 Mar 2007, 21:28 »

doesn't 'indie' just really represent the word 'independant'? and when it comes to electronic music. isn't it all basically independant? tons of cats out there making shit on their PC's without any outside help at all.

at any rate. someone already mentioned ellen alien. Jeph has mentioned numerous times his adoration of the Ellen Alien and Apparat album called 'Orchestra of Bubbles' which is a good accessible poppy kind of electronica. also worth checking out is Apparat's own albums. entitled Trial and Error, Multifunktionsebene, Duplex (which just yesterday got props from Jeph), Algorhythm, Shapemodes, and Silzium. (the track Komponent in particular is beautiful) when apparat throws lyrics into his tracks they take on a whole new force.

the voice in the back of my mind is telling me that what you kids mean by 'indie' really means more like 'accessible' or 'poppy'. so I'll keep to that..
more to the IDM side of things, check out Beefcake. specifically the album 'Drei'.  Gridlock has already got mention, they're along the same lines as beefcake. for more chilled out sounds try some cats like New Delhi FM, or Ishq, Monolake, Jetone, xploding plastix...

another one I have to toss out there is the ethereally beautiful, melancholic,  and sometimes haunted sounding  Ulrich Schnauss.

Dj Cuddlefish could go on and on and on and on really. he'll cut it short today.

cheers!
nuh hurrr

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #54 on: 28 Mar 2007, 05:44 »

Telefon Tel Aviv are two guys from Chicago who make amazing IDM.

Both of their albums (Fahrenheit Fair Enough and Map of What Is Effortless) are highly recommended.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

byebyepanda

• Emoticontraindication
  • do a barrel roll!
« Reply #55 on: 28 Mar 2007, 23:15 »

Ratatat and The Legends are my favorites :]

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
  • my SimCity's bigger than your SimCity
    • last.fm
« Reply #56 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:14 »

Decoder Ring - sort of indie electronica but with big layer-y post-rock elements.
as far as albums go - start with the Somersault score they did or Fractions.

Pivot - are the same sort of thing I guess...

and listen to the person who reccommended Gerling. they are tops.

Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

Mr u Suk

« Reply #57 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:20 »

thanks for the help guys. I just nabbed Ladytron's 604 (which made me very happy cuz i have all 3 now Yay!) and Ratatat's self titled. Im really looking forward to getting some Add n to (x) and Apparat when i get paid

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #58 on: 29 Mar 2007, 03:23 »

Mmm, Add N to (X).

Get Loud Like Nature.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #59 on: 04 Apr 2007, 00:11 »

Postal Service is just Ben Gibbard with Dntel, right?  So . . . Dntel.  Dumb Luck is out and its not half bad.
Also . . . mouse on mars.  Radical Connector and Varcharz are both great starting points -- the farther you go back, the sparser it gets.
Finally, on the dance side, Infected Mushroom.  Vicious Delicious is awesome.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #60 on: 06 Apr 2007, 20:08 »

Dream Theater use keyboards and I wouldn't really call them electronica prog rock

well i wasnt really talking about keyboards in general. i was mainly talking about electronica keyboard stuff, sorry for ot making that clear. "these arms are snakes" has a very electronica sound. and i think if people concider "the postal service" indie electronica
then "these arms are snakes" are also indie electronica....
 :?

Have they changed of late? I saw them a couple of years ago and they were doing that standard sort of sassy stuff so many people who used to be in hardcore bands are up to these days. I think there may have been keyboards but it was a fair way from electronica. Mind you, they weren't really trying since they had blatantly realised that hardly anyone there gave a rat's ass about them.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up