THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knitaffiti  (Read 6522 times)

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
Knitaffiti
« on: 08 May 2007, 20:04 »

Yes, knit graffiti! A bunch of crocheted pole-cozies are popping up around my neighbourhood, and I've pulled some crap acrylic out of the stash to join in (but knit, instead). I'll post pictures when I'm done!
Has anyone else ever knitaffitied?
And: If you could knitaffiti anything, what would it be?

thehoopiestfrood

Re: Knitaffiti
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2007, 11:39 »

That sounds awesome! I've never heard of this before. I liked those little magnet led graffiti type things you could attach to metal but I've never tried anything like that.

Post photos!

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007, 22:07 »

That sounds so hardcore.

I second the pics request.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2007, 05:53 »

My knitting group has vague "someday" plans to knitaffiti all the statues in the park. We're going to make gloves, scarves, and legwarmers. It was supposed to be for last year on Labor Day (1st Monday in September) but it hasn't happened yet. Thanks for reminding me!
Ho, ho, ho!

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2007, 09:37 »

Would the leg warmers button up around the legs of the statues or are there lots of statues where you are which have legs off the ground? It involves more planning that I thought it would!

quietfox

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2007, 09:51 »

My knitting group has vague "someday" plans to knitaffiti all the statues in the park. We're going to make gloves, scarves, and legwarmers. It was supposed to be for last year on Labor Day (1st Monday in September) but it hasn't happened yet. Thanks for reminding me!

AWESOME IDEA! Yes, there must be pictures. If I did hypothetically knitaffiti any statue, I think I'd do this one:

Any ideas? What would you do?

(FYI: It's a statue of Brigham Young, which has nothing to do with the motivation, which is that the statue is located smack dab in the middle of Salt Lake City. I wouldn't knit anything offensive to put on him, probably just a hat or scarf or something. Too bad his legs aren't up - he'd look fantastic with leg warmers.)

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2007, 09:56 »

I would put legwarmers on the horse. And a scarf. I'd just cover them both in anything I could, really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4264683.stm

The cone is pretty much never taken off. I don't think they even bother any more. If they do, it is replaced within 24 hours.

Oh! Great idea! You could make the horse earwarmers!! In some mad bright colour! Pink probably! No green or blue. :P
« Last Edit: 15 May 2007, 09:58 by thehoopiestfrood »

quietfox

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2007, 22:03 »

My day just became worth it. That cone is HILARIOUS.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2007, 14:43 »

That cone is amazing.

quietfox, I say you should knit the guy a hat with some awesome ear flaps. And make it a very bright color, so it's easily seen. You can always make leg warmers for the two on the bottom. ^_^
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2007, 15:09 »

Sometimes they put a cone on the horse as well. That is the best. It never fails to make me smile when I see the cone.

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2007, 16:36 »

Fuck, I put the camera in my bag today to FINALLY take a picture and still forgot.
Soon, I promise!

Statues are a great idea! I don't have any nearby, but I will definitely scope them out. And I'm totally digging the cone on that guy's head.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2007, 17:00 »

Does this mean they think that the Duke of Wellington was a "conehead"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coneheads
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

quietfox

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2007, 17:24 »

SWEET! Hot pink hat with earflaps - that would be awesome. I must wait 'til I get my paycheck before I scout out the Hobby Lobby...

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2007, 18:39 »

You could, for legwarmers, just do a square of knitted fabric and stitch it shut around their legs while nobody is watching.
I would love leg warmers on BY.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2007, 02:35 »

There was a time when someone kept putting things in the hand of a big bronze statue in hyde park. For a while it was a flavoured milk bottle, but it had also been a girly magazine, socks and all sorts of giggleworthy stuff.

Someone also kept putting traffic cones on the scepter of a statue of Prince Albert for a while, making it look like he had a rocket of some description.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2007, 03:28 »

We put a pirate hat on the statue of Donald Dewar a few years ago, when it was new. However we only did it for a picture and then took the hat down as we wanted to carry on wearing it.

You couldn't do that now as he has been put on a really high plinth because people kept stealing his glasses which sucks. Silly fun things are good, actual vandalism sucks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4551062.stm

Before you could sit at his feet or stand next to him.

« Last Edit: 18 May 2007, 03:32 by thehoopiestfrood »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2007, 06:36 »

Damn it. Everytime I read this thread, I expect knitaffiti pictures, but I never get them. :(

Post some already! plz.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Victorinia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2007, 20:35 »

Terrible, terrible news...
They clear the bills on the poles every week, and they cleared the knitafitti along with them. This has kind of discouraged me - I'd like it to be a bit more lasting, you know? However, there are some excellent examples here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up