THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Albums you've changed your mind about  (Read 13261 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Albums you've changed your mind about
« on: 25 Apr 2007, 19:19 »

Maybe this thread has been done before but whatever this is my website.

I was listening to the new Do Make Say Think album You, You're A History In Rust for the first time since it leaked a while back. When I first got it, I felt like it was their weakest album thus far. But today I realized that the second 2/3 of the record (from "A Tender History In Rust" onwards) is some of the best music they've ever produced. They're doing this awesome, pastoral Tortoise-meets-Broken-Social-Scene thing (which makes sense since at least two of 'em are in BSS) that is a wonderful extension of their sound. So now I feel like the first few songs are just the appetizer for the rest of the album, and I really enjoy the hell out of it.

Your turn.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

weenus

Re: Albums you've changed your mind about
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2007, 19:43 »

Well this happened a few years ago, and this is probably not really appropriate for a first post but regardless, I hated Brand New's second album. It kind of came off as this really 'Oberstcore' crap that bugged the hell out of me. Somewhere along the lines, Guernica and Okay I Believe you but my Tommy Gun Don't warmed me up to what I now consider a well written album. The third album is working the same way. The Archer's Bows are Broken has been making me more open minded.

My old roommate also played the hell out of My Girlfriend's Boyfriend whenever we went anywhere, but I eventually grew to love Her Space Holiday.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2007, 19:55 »

I just recently changed my mind about the band Silkworm.  Not one album, but the whole band.  I used to find them limp and unengaging, but I just started listening again and realized how good they actually are. 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

kablaaamo

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2007, 20:09 »

You Forgot It In People.

Really.

At first I thought it was the least interesting thing I'd ever heard....until a friend convinced me to try again. I still kind of dislike certain tracks (Lover's Spit...) but I've come to love it. Oddly enough, it was Pacific Theme that won my appreciation first.

weenus

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2007, 20:10 »

You Forgot It In People.

Really.

At first I thought it was the least interesting thing I'd ever heard....until a friend convinced me to try again. I still kind of dislike certain tracks (Lover's Spit...) but I've come to love it. Oddly enough, it was Pacific Theme that won my appreciation first.

Almost Crimes did it for me.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2007, 20:14 »

Oh Inverted World by the Shins.  When I first heard it I found it boring.  I cued it up two years later on accident and discovered that I liked it a lot.  I think in general being exposed to more old-school pop music did it.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2007, 21:02 »

Also the new Pelican record. First impression was "meh," repeated listens have jacked it up to "yay!"
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2007, 23:07 »

I've changed my mind on Neon Bible. I realised around the fourth listen that I liked this record about a hundred times less than Funeral and haven't listened to it since.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2007, 00:32 »

I've changed my mind about Do Make say Think's & Yet & Yet. First time I listened to it I thought it was a boring Tortoise album. Second time I listened to it I thought it was pretty good. Third time I listened to it I was hooked.

I didn't like Pink the first time I listened to it because I was expecting another drone album and got a punk explosion. But the second time I listened to it, it just blew me away.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2007, 00:59 »

I didn't like The Great Eastern for years, despite being a huge fan of Peloton. I decided to give it another try a week or so ago and something clicked. Instead of sounding overdone it just sounded big and enveloping, and I'm converted. I need to try getting into Hate now, and get hold of Universal Audio too to see if the same thing happens with them.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2007, 02:45 »

Ulver's Blood Inside absolutely sucked for the first few listens, but now I really enjoy it. What was originally directionless noise makes a fair bit of sense, and sounds pretty awesome.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2007, 03:24 »

I didn't like Pink the first time I listened to it because I was expecting another drone album and got a punk explosion. But the second time I listened to it, it just blew me away.
I read this as being about Pink the pop singer... :)  Strangely, most of the comment works ... maybe if you replace "drone album" with "generic R&B" and "punk explosion" with some much more tepid nod to the singer from Rancid co-writing heaps of her third album..?

Can't think of any albums I've changed my mind much about recently... the Fennesz / Ryuichi Sakamoto collab has fallen off my radar since the first week after I bought it, but that probably doesn't mean much.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2007, 04:34 »

i never liked rap and used to judge hip hop as a singular genre with it to avoid until someone introduced me to jurassic 5
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2007, 04:53 »

Lots of stuff. I used to be all over "formula prog" like Dream Theater, Yes, Shadow Gallery, IQ, Symphony X, Spock's Beard, and others. I still like most of those bands to some degree, but with the exception of Transatlantic and The Flower Kings, they're not favorites anymore.

The first time I heard GYBE's "Lift Your Skinny Fists..." I was still in that prog phase, and so my reaction was like "What is this nonsense?" Somehow I actually managed to get that album before I even heard of the genre of post-rock, which is why the mp3s I ripped from the CD are still labeled as "prog-rock". Now it's my favorite album.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2007, 04:58 »

Angra's Holy Land. It rocks so much harder now.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2007, 05:07 »

I just recently changed my mind about the band Silkworm.  Not one album, but the whole band.  I used to find them limp and unengaging, but I just started listening again and realized how good they actually are. 

Me too, Blueblood is one of my favouritist albums ever. It really sparked my interest in Silkworm, Fireblood and Developer didn't really engage me.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2007, 06:45 »

Greg pre-college and pre-mushroom experience: Radiohead are the greatest band ever, and OK Computer is the finest album ever hewn by human hands.

Greg post-college and post-mushroom experience: Radiohead are good but I never listen to them anymore, and OK Computer is pretty good but I like Kid A better.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2007, 06:50 »

Gotta be Mclusky. When I first heard My Pain and Sadness is More Sad and Painful than Yours I kinda passed it off and was all about Do Dallas, but now it's really grown on me.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2007, 09:27 »

This is more of a "band I have changed my mind about;" I listened to Aereogramme's "My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go" and didn't really dig it, but then I gave their 2003 album "Sleep & Release" a listen last night, and I really dig it a lot. I'm gonna check out some more of their older stuff, and see if I can develop more of an appreciation for that last album that way.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:20 »

I didn't like it for five years or so in fact.

You were probably drunk.

Desmonkey

« Reply #20 on: 26 Apr 2007, 11:25 »

when i was a wee lad, i hated "Funeral" by Arcade Fire, but now i really love it, especially the songs Tunnels and Rebellion.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #21 on: 26 Apr 2007, 12:52 »

The new NIN, which I didn't like very much and now like very much.

And Makers by Rocky Votolato, which I originally wasn't crazy about but am now very fond of.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #22 on: 26 Apr 2007, 13:49 »

Maybe this thread has been done before but whatever this is my website.

I was listening to the new Do Make Say Think album You, You're A History In Rust for the first time since it leaked a while back. When I first got it, I felt like it was their weakest album thus far. But today I realized that the second 2/3 of the record (from "A Tender History In Rust" onwards) is some of the best music they've ever produced.

This is very odd because when I read the title of this thread I thought to myself, "man, I'd have to say that new Do Make Say Think album has really grown on me. I kinda didn't like it too much at first but now I think it's great." So that's my response. Oh, and seeing them live a couple of times since it came out has helped raise my appreciation for the band in general (which was already really high) definetly helped.

My opinion of Fridge's album 'Happiness' has also changed. I saw Fridge in september in NYC and loved thier set so I bought that album. I listened a few times but each time wound up more bored than the next. Recently, however, I picked up this album again and after just a few spins I'm loving it. Luckily the label they're on is repressing it in a very limited vinyl edition that I'm going to snatch up right when it goes on sale. I love coming back to an album and finding much better than when you left it.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 26 Apr 2007, 16:39 »

Christ. I used to loathe Radiohead. Luckily I heard Kid A in its entirety and realised I was being an oaf.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #24 on: 26 Apr 2007, 18:10 »

Christ. I used to loathe Radiohead. Luckily I heard Kid A in its entirety and realised I was being an oaf.
This, just with OK Computer rather than Kid A.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #25 on: 26 Apr 2007, 19:10 »

I didn't like it for five years or so in fact.

You were probably not drunk.

I sometimes like bands once I listen to them drunk. Captain Beefheart, f'rinstance.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #26 on: 26 Apr 2007, 19:11 »

when i was a wee lad, i hated "Funeral" by Arcade Fire

It came out, like, two years ago!! YOU'VE BROKEN MY MIND.

kablaaamo

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2007, 20:33 »

This, just with OK Computer rather than Kid A.

This, but backwards.

I used to think Radiohead was the greatest band ever....but I guess I've grown out of it? I've had this computer for a year now, and I put all of my music onto it when it was purchased....and the majority of my Radiohead tracks are still unlistened.

penpen17

« Reply #28 on: 26 Apr 2007, 21:02 »

The Knife - Silent Shout.  When i first listened to it, I was put off by the sheer strangeness of it, and I thought it was kind of boring...but now that I've gained an appreciation for it I think it's totally awesome

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #29 on: 26 Apr 2007, 21:13 »

I /agree with the Neon Bible assessment. On first listen I really liked it, but I have not desired to listen to it again.

Also, I used to ignore Xiu Xiu's A Promise in favor of Fabulous Muscles and The Air Force but now I listen to it a lot.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #30 on: 26 Apr 2007, 21:39 »

Angra's Holy Land. It rocks so much harder now.

Yeah... I was a big fan of temple of shadows, and I had that long before Holy Land, so when I heard the lack of prog influnces in Holy Land, I almost dismissed it, but I eventually got into it. It's now my favorite angra album after ToS.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #31 on: 26 Apr 2007, 22:10 »

Radiohead make great music, but they just aren't that much fun to listen to. Anymore I don't listen to Radiohead for the enjoyment of it, it's like an intellectual or conceptual exercise or something, like watching a David Lynch movie. I only bother to watch such artsy films about once a year, but I'm glad somebody is making them.

Still, I'm glad I saw them live, at least.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 26 Apr 2007, 23:45 »

"The National Anthem"? Admittedly it's just one track but it's a blast.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #33 on: 27 Apr 2007, 05:13 »

When I was young I was really into Dio. Any album. Then there was a huge amount of time when I just couldn't listen to it anymore. It sounded sort of boring compared to ... newer stuff. CoF. Negura Bunget. Tristania.

But I just played Holy Diver and, I have to say ... it rocks. It does so many things so well.

Plus, that midget can sing.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #34 on: 27 Apr 2007, 06:54 »

To fully appreciate [i[How Strange, Innocence[/i] by EiTS, it turns out all I had to do was:

--be on an irregular sleep and eating schedule for 3 years due to my shitty, shitty job
--nearly stop sleeping altogether due to bullshit with a girl
--have a predisposition to melancholia

And then:

--drink three glasses of scotch in order to get to sleep
--still be unable to sleep, lie awake on bed staring out at the approaching morning
--put on How Strange, Innocence as exhaustion takes hold

EiTS bored the piss out of me until I listened to them in that perfect frame of mind.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #35 on: 27 Apr 2007, 07:37 »

"Mutations" by Beck. At first I hated his style change but now it's grown on me and I really dig it a lot. And that's Nobody's fault but my own.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #36 on: 27 Apr 2007, 07:45 »

EiTS bored the piss out of me until I listened to them in that perfect frame of mind.

Similarly, I only really properly got into EITS after hearing "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place" on a fuckton of good shrooms. Previously they'd just been pleasant background music. After that I started really enjoying that CD and post-rock in general (except Mogwai who continue to annoy me by sounding like a band I should enjoy yet bore the shit out of me)

fearghal

« Reply #37 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:05 »

I used to be in to Cake like it wasn't healthy. I don't think Comfort Eagle left my cd player for 6 months. now...i can't stand the stuff. I just don't think its put together well anymore. Maybe i've just heard good music now.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #38 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:14 »

And that's Nobody's fault but my own.

I C WUT U DID THEER

I'm pretty much the same for that album. I bought it and listened to it once, then came back to it after going through a little blues phase and now it's easily one of my favourite Beck albums.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

epifreak

« Reply #39 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:33 »

Pain of Salvation - Scarsick
I was about ready to trash this album until it started growing on me like a freaking fungus.

Pain of Salvation (any pre-Be album)
I initially wrote these off as another generic Dream Theater knockoff until I really started listening.

Deftones - White Pony
Absolutely hated it the first time I heard it. Eventually, I came to like the album.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #40 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:54 »

When I first heard Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer I liked one song and didn't like the rest. It is now one of my favourite albums. I wasn't into metal when I first heard it so that would explain it really.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:29 »

I used to be in to Cake like it wasn't healthy. I don't think Comfort Eagle left my cd player for 6 months. now...i can't stand the stuff. I just don't think its put together well anymore. Maybe i've just heard good music now.

I got bored of Cake when I realized that Comfort Eagle = Fashion Nugget = Motorcade of Generosity = Pressure Chief = Prolonging the Magic.

In other words, they never evolved and their songwriting got tired and repetitive.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus
Pages: [1]   Go Up