THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Office (US Version)  (Read 9980 times)

Bradwick

The Office (US Version)
« on: 08 Dec 2006, 10:08 »

Does anyone else watch this show?  I find it absolutely hilarious, probably the most hilarious show on TV.  It's also the only show I think where I laugh and cringe equally.  Plus it does a great job of blending humor and drama (well, sort of drama).

My favorite character has to be Jim just because of his dry wit and the perfect timing of his looks to the camera.  The pranks on Dwight are the best too, I especially like all the nickels gradually placed in the phone and then removed all at once.

So anyone else a fan of the show?  If so, who's your favorite character and what's your favorite moment?

Maui

Re: The Office (US Version)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2006, 10:44 »

I'm not gonna lie, i'm a little bit in love with Jim Halpert.

Also, the Gay Witch hunt episode is so great. I think the show has finally found it's stride, it wasn't very consistent during the first season.  Steve Carell plays an ass so freaking well.

Bradwick

« Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2006, 10:52 »

I'm not gonna lie, i'm a little bit in love with Jim Halpert.

Hah, seriously, I watch the show and I'm like, "Man, I wish Jim was my best friend, he'd make an awesome best friend."

And I completely agree about it hitting it's stride now.  I noticed a difference between season 1 and 2 as far as rhythm and the characters interacting better.  Season 3 has been even better I think.  This is also one of the few shows I can watch the episodes again and again and still laugh every time.

JJMitchell

« Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2006, 20:14 »

I absolutlely love the office.

Steve Carell is great as an ignorant boss who wants / needs to be a good boss.
Jim of course is my favorite but I really love Dwights character.  He is so great to laugh at.

My current favorite prank is the faxing Dwight as 'Dwight from the future'.  LOL

Fiddler

« Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2006, 22:37 »

Definitely a great show.  But seriously there are sometimes where I'm just in pain from the awkwardness and horror that happens, but it cracks me up even as it hurts me haha.

JJMitchell

« Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2006, 23:48 »

The pain and awkwardness are part of the charm.

Half arsed ninja

« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2006, 03:30 »

I was actually surprised by this. I've watched the english one with ricky Gervais (mans a lengend!) So when I heard theat they was going to be an american remake I thoguht no way will this be good but its not to bad Steve Carell is actually class in it. Though I recomend to watch the english one.

chupones

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • A mystery wrapped in an enigma stuck in suburbia.
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2006, 10:41 »

Favorite Michael Scott line:

You don't call retarded people "retards". That would be in bad taste. You call your friends "retards" when they're acting retarded.
I may not be a Flintstone, but I'll certainly make your bed rock. - Phil Ken Sebben

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2006, 10:46 »

The UK version was a little darker, and I really liked it for that. A lot of oppresive hopelessness that oddly befit a dead-end office job like everyone in the show had.

However, the US version has a lot of cute moments, a really good cast dynamic (boosted probably by the off-season webisodes that have helped turn the show into more of an ensemble piece) and longevity. I like both versions, really, but the US one has certainly found its niche and is mining it quite well at the moment.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

BBP

« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2006, 12:09 »

The third season doesn't have those awkward pauses anymore.  I loved those moments when so much was conveyed with just a look.  Still great though!

Bradwick

« Reply #10 on: 10 Dec 2006, 11:26 »

The UK version was a little darker, and I really liked it for that. A lot of oppresive hopelessness that oddly befit a dead-end office job like everyone in the show had.

A lot of that is how the British view office jobs vs. how American's view them.  The British realize it's hopeless to try and advance and just accept it where in the States it's all about trying to climb out of it.  I think they do a good job of tailoring it for each country that it's in though.  I think there is also a French, German, and Spanish version.

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 11 Dec 2006, 05:44 »

There is definitely a french version, which I've seen bits of (but it was just after I arrived here so my language skills weren't the best). I'm torrenting the first season ATM, I'm curious to see how it compares to the UK version (still haven't seen any of the US version. It was bought by a commercial network in Australia, hyped for weeks, and canned after something like 3 weeks).

JJMitchell

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2006, 20:30 »

Did anyone see the hour long one last night?

I love this show.

Steve Carrell is truly awesome.  I don't think there is any character that I just can't stand either.

Maui

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2006, 04:19 »

Haha yes, a full hour of awesome.  Steve Carrell+30 second clips of Goodbye My Lover=amazing.  I was crying it was so great.  The karaoke version of Alanis Morisette was classic as well.

edit-  i cant believe i almost forgot about michael marking his asian girlfriend's arm, oh my god, so awful.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec 2006, 04:23 by Maui »

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2006, 20:07 »

I love both the UK and US versions of The Office. I personally prefer the US version because there is more 'cheap' (but still awesome) humour in there. I would imagine that if I had worked in a dead end office job the UK version would appeal more.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Maui

« Reply #15 on: 01 Jan 2007, 05:26 »

I got the first season on DVD for christmas, it was only six episodes i guess?, but still great, there's lots of bloopers and commentaries.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2007, 08:52 »

The US version of The Office was one of the worst shows I've ever seen - the UK version is one of my favourite. You just cannot beat Ricky Gervais. Ever.

The US version took some time, but it found its niche. It's not the same show, but it's very good in its own way.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jan 2007, 15:38 »

The US version took some time, but it found its niche. It's not the same show, but it's very good in its own way.
exactly how i feel about it.

i'll take this back if it ends up invalidating my opinion on matters of taste in the future, but while I have always enjoyed them both, I think I am beginning to prefer the american one. I think the point where it began to take the lead was the nickels in Dwight's phone.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2007, 00:13 »

The point for me was when Jim confessed that those things weren't all that funny when you read them one after the other.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:49 »

I don't like the US version of the Office (I have not seen the other version though). I found the US one boring, pointless, and not at all humorous. From my point of view, the show absolutely sucked. Just my opinion though.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

JJMitchell

« Reply #20 on: 03 Jan 2007, 18:52 »

Work in an office for 6 months and you'll get most of it.

importance

« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2007, 13:26 »

I started watching this show for about a week ago as a friend of mine put it on my Ipod. I love my friend. I also love the office US.

I love everything about this show, and I can watch every episode over and over again, and discover new jokes and things to laugh at.

My favorite moment is when Dwight crashes his car on his way to help Michael with his burned foot. He just looks so funny when he throws up, and then dashes right back into the car and drives away. =)

JJMitchell

« Reply #22 on: 03 Apr 2007, 18:03 »

Faxes from future Dwight has to be my favorite moment I think.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 03 Apr 2007, 20:31 »

The moment with the Gaydar at the end of one of the episodes this season?

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 05 Apr 2007, 20:39 »

Man, it's sad that the thing I was looking forward to the most for the past few weeks was the new episode of The Office...

In my defense, it's a great show.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 06 Apr 2007, 22:48 »

There is definitely a french version
There is a Quebecois version as well.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #26 on: 21 Apr 2007, 23:28 »

*resurrection*

Quebecois version you say? 

IMDB it or it didnt happen.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Holm

« Reply #27 on: 26 Apr 2007, 15:43 »

it's ok but it pales completely next to the uk version

Jab

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2007, 00:57 »

My personal Top Ten favorite Office moments:

1) Michael marking his girlfriend's arm, because he couldn't tell her apart from her other asian friend.

2) Kelly Kapoor playing dumb and asking Jan if Michael "getting to second base" with her was an example of office sports metaphors , resulting in a desperately awkward Jan moment, and Kelly turns to the camera and winks, showing she knew exactly what she was doing.

3) The HORRIFYINGLY sad moment on the kid's show, when Young Michael says "when I grow up, I'm gonna get married, so I can have a hundred kids, so I can have a hundred friends, and nobody can ever say 'No' to being my friend!" The cat puppet asking the question's reaction is what makes it oh, so horrifying.

4) Kelly rushing up to Jim and going "Why didn't you tell me you had a crush on Pam!?" and Jim being almost forcefully taken aback.

5) Michael & Tim Robbins singing the "Baby Back Ribs" song at Chili's, while Jan sits in angry silence.

6) Michael proving that he actually IS great at his job when he needs to be, selling the branch's business to Tim Robbins' character.

7) Angela stating just why they have a fire drill to the camera, until the stress gets to her and she starts crying.

8.) Dwight & the whole office realizing that the "Samuel L. Chang" character was originally called "Dwight", but the search & replace missed one 'Dwigt".

9) Michael finding out Jim liked/likes Pam, and telling him never to give up in his happy voice, but stops, goes completely serious, and goes "NEVER give up".

10) "The only thing I'M worried about... is gettin' a BONER." 'nuff said, really.

Xamira

« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2007, 09:13 »

Why I love the UK Office:

David Brent: Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of CVs in the bin without reading them.

Tim: Team Leader don't mean anything mate.
Gareth: Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team.
Tim: No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it.
Gareth: I think they do.
Tim: No they don't Gareth.
Gareth: Erm yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm.

Tim: Ok now guys, we're about to enter a warehouse environment now. I'll just warn you that some of the people in here will be working class. So there may be some arse cleavage. Just find a partner, hold hands and don't talk to anyone.

Gareth: I could catch a monkey. If I was starving I could. I'd make poison darts out of the poison of the deadly frogs. One milligram of that poison can kill a monkey. Or a man. Prick yourself and you'd be dead within a day. Or longer. Different frogs, different times.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:03 »

6) Michael proving that he actually IS great at his job when he needs to be, selling the branch's business to Tim Robbins' character.

This is one of the series' best moments, I think. It actually justifies Michael's position as a manager and also gives loads of credence to his background as one of the company's best salesmen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up