THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter + Wii Controller = Hmmm...  (Read 5248 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Harry Potter + Wii Controller = Hmmm...
« on: 13 Apr 2007, 12:03 »

http://wii.ign.com/articles/779/779905p1.html

I'll get this out of the way now: I'm a little bit of a Harry Potter nerd. That being said, i've never tried any of the games based on the series as they've all looked like standard, crappy movie-license cash in crap. This one's got me intrigued, though. By the sounds of the article, it seems like it's essentially Bully with a wand and motion sensitivity. Considering Bully was one of the best games I played last year, this sounds like something that could really work.

Thought some of the other Harry Potter/video game/Nintendo dorks might find this preview enlightening.

Now, if only they'd get off their asses and get to work on a Star Wars lightsaber battle game...
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Harry Potter + Wii Controller = Hmmm...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2007, 17:59 »

No More Heroes is essentially a lightsaber game, except there's tons of blood and it's wrapped in SUDA 51's  trademark fucking insanity.

Go look it up.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2007, 21:36 »

Grawsith

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2007, 03:25 »

One must make the obligatory comment about the vibrating Harry Potter wands that girls enjoy. One must make connections from this to the WiiMote. One must giggle incessantly, and yet wonder about the mechanics of such a thing.
One has a phone call to make.

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2007, 17:04 »

I guess you forgot the ?The Nimbus 2000" controversy. it was a toy broomstick that vibrates and you put between your legs, alot parents groups got the toy banned.

http://www.cultureandfamily.org/articledisplay.asp?id=753&department=CFI&categoryid=cfreport
http://www.davesdaily.com/pictures/398-harrypottersbroomstick.htm
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2007, 17:32 »

I'm sure someone has said it before, but I wish that game developers wouldn't insist on using the Wii controller(s) in the most obvious but unworkable ways, and start using it more like an improved mouse or something. Get Blizzard involved and make a Starcraft 2 for Wii. Wouldn't that make pants shittingly awesome??

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2007, 17:47 »

Well, the Wii probably doesn't have enough buttons for an RTS, unless they released some kind of keyboard attachment that would plug into the bottom, but at that point, why wouldn't you just play it on a PC? Unless you were like me and can't afford a gaming PC, but I don't know how big that demographic is.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Grawsith

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2007, 18:11 »

Oh, it was a broomstick, not a wand. Sorry.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2007, 11:47 »

Well, the Wii probably doesn't have enough buttons for an RTS, unless they released some kind of keyboard attachment that would plug into the bottom, but at that point, why wouldn't you just play it on a PC? Unless you were like me and can't afford a gaming PC, but I don't know how big that demographic is.

Be honest, when you play a RTS, do you use buttons that much?? I need point only to Pikmin and Pikmin 2 for Gamecube for two real time strategy games that worked well on a console because of the interface and control scheme. They are other ways to do RTS other than ripping off C&C and Warcraft.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2007, 12:43 »

Actually using the Wii as a mouse is the least imaginative thing possible. For example, the pointing bit of Super Paper Mario is the least engaging feature of the game. I really encourage developers to come up with different ways to use the thing. I mean, for God's sake, it's basically a stick of magic. The Godfather: Blackhand Edition's usage of it sounds really clever, and this Harry Potter idea sounds pretty rad.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 15 Apr 2007, 14:25 »

Actually, using it for a mouse in an RTS would be very easy. It's accurate enough for it, and if you include the nunchuk you'd have 8 buttons to work with, plus anything they might want to do with directions for the analogue stick.

As much as I'd like to see RTS games actually work well on a console though, I'm much more excited for the huge assortment of OTHER things they can do with it.

But yeah, this might be the first Harry Potter game I try out.

M4

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2007, 22:44 »

Sounds sexy
Pages: [1]   Go Up