THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steve Miller Band  (Read 10267 times)

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Steve Miller Band
« on: 14 Dec 2006, 10:51 »

Can anyone think of any bands that play a lot of songs similar to "Fly Like An Eagle"?  I don't have the willpower to go looking.  Just that one song.  You know, with the spacey stuff.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Kirbo

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com
Re: Steve Miller Band
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2006, 15:01 »

Pink Floyd.
"Are you really the messiah?
Yes I am." - Gord Downie

http://www.kirbo.thejefffiles.com/twisb.html

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2006, 18:14 »

Pink Floyd.

erm...more spacey.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 18:16 »

In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2006, 18:21 »

camelpimp

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2006, 23:22 »

Well, I heard Johnny Marr's singing voice sounds like Steve Miller, so check out Johnny Marr and the Healers? (I think that was the name of the band... someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2006, 11:36 »

I have their album. I paid $2 for it from a Salvation Army store and i think i was overcharged

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:16 »

dammit, more spacey.

Spacemen 3?
God Is an Astronaut?
Man or Astroman?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Doctor Funk

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2006, 12:23 »

Hmm... Captain Beyond? "Myopic Void" is a pretty god-damn spacy. And it's from about the same period. Captain Beyond is a great album, though it's not all in that vein.

timehat

« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2006, 05:01 »

My problem with the Steve Miller band is the they'll have these really cool experimental-sounding intros to songs, and I'm like "shit, why is this on the radio?" and then the song proper starts and its the most worthless shit I've ever had rape my ears. I think this is kind of indicative of a lot of rock bands in general, where they get all creative for their intros and or/outros, but do little to integrate those ideas into the song itself.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2006, 05:35 »

Hawkwind?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2006, 10:10 »

The reason I'm looking, if you're curious, is because two of my friends were just starting to trip on acid when the song came on, and I want to find enough to make at least a 3-hour playlist.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2006, 11:23 »

I think  the grateful dead would be more suitable for an acid trip, correct me if im wrong.
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2006, 12:30 »

I think  the grateful dead would be more suitable for an acid trip, correct me if im wrong.

According to my friend Jack, who had once tripped on acid every day for 3 months (and he's still completely sane, wouldn't you believe it), says that all of the songs that he has tripped to (including the Grateful Dead), the two best are Imogen Heap's Headlock, and Fly Like An Eagle.  So I'm looking for stuff in the vein of Fly Like An Eagle (rising notes abound, background noise, softer vocals) for the next time we trip.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2006, 19:54 »

The reason I'm looking, if you're curious, is because two of my friends were just starting to trip on acid when the song came on, and I want to find enough to make at least a 3-hour playlist.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Hawkwind?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2006, 19:59 »

HAWKWIND!

FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2006, 23:14 »

Acid Mothers Temple
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #17 on: 18 Dec 2006, 02:31 »

How could I forget Acid Mothers Gong? Acid Mothers Temple + Daevid Allen = WHOA.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2006, 11:37 »

speaking of which, which do you guys find preferable, shrooms or acid?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2006, 11:52 »

Honestly, I prefer getting wrecked and hallucinating wildly.

But thats just me.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2006, 23:21 »

Never done 'shrooms, but I've heard it's a lot like acid, only mellower. You tend not to go through an extreme buzz phase at first, eventually mellowing into a 12-hour high. Instead, you just eat these things, and pretty soon things aren't normal anymore.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #21 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:07 »

My friend (as mentioned above, who once went on a 3-month acid trip) describes acid as making you convinced that you're sober, with strange things happening.  He remembers the citizens of Atlantis moving into his kiddie pool, that sort of thing.  Mushrooms, on the other hand, he describes as convincing you that you're not sober, and you might go on a journey through the desert just to get to the bathroom.  I'm just debating whether to take the shrooms or the acid, cuz we got both.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #22 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:41 »

You do not need drugs to enjoy music, no matter how trippy or spacy it is. If you do, there's somthing wrong with you.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

camelpimp

« Reply #23 on: 22 Dec 2006, 01:53 »

Unless it's very bad music?

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2006, 02:19 »

No drug can help you with that.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 22 Dec 2006, 03:57 »

I disagree!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2006, 04:42 »

My friend (as mentioned above, who once went on a 3-month acid trip) describes acid as making you convinced that you're sober, with strange things happening.  He remembers the citizens of Atlantis moving into his kiddie pool, that sort of thing.  Mushrooms, on the other hand, he describes as convincing you that you're not sober, and you might go on a journey through the desert just to get to the bathroom.  I'm just debating whether to take the shrooms or the acid, cuz we got both.

That does correlate to some of the 'shroom stories I've heard, and I can vouche for the acid "attitude". We were in a little shopping center one time, and there was this magic shop, it must've been about 15 feet square, tops, tucked into a corner, and as I walked past, there was a security guard standing there in the shop. He was probably just the regular guy who strolls the place, but it looked hilarious because he looked like a guy hired to guard this tiny little shop. I told my girlfriend, and she said "Well, there is that new law that every store must have armed security." Wow, I hadn't heard! Of course I can now see how silly that is, but at the time, it made perfect sense.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2006, 08:38 »

I would never describe the abject terror at the sheer existance of the universe as anything even remotely similar to sobriety.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #28 on: 22 Dec 2006, 09:49 »

"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2006, 11:05 »

I'm not looking to enjoy the music, I'm looking to enjoy the trip.  If I want to appreciate music, I must be sober, high, or rolling on ecstacy.  This is purely for sensory enjoyment.  I've found some stuff that I'm pretty sure will send me on an epic quest, and I was looking for good coming-up music.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:29 »

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to do any kind of hallucinogin is to take a lot of it, and go looking for completely unplanned fun.

This whole "planning a trip" thing just smacks of wankery to me.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2006, 22:25 »

As far as I'm concerned, the only way to do any kind of hallucinogin is to take a lot of it, and go looking for completely unplanned fun.

This whole "planning a trip" thing just smacks of wankery to me.

I don't think having good music counts as planning.  Cuz that's all we're planning of anything, is the music.  We're gonna do it again on New Year's Eve at a gas station, and pray that the cops don't try to check up on us.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #32 on: 29 Dec 2006, 23:33 »

As it turns out, I only remember listening to one song, The Beatles - Norwegian Wood.  That was it.  And someone had put on some shitty trance or something.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: 29 Dec 2006, 23:51 »

Best song I ever listened to when I was tripping was 'Intergalactic Space Crusaders' by Star One. It rocked so hard that it made my monitor screen melt and I had to run out my room because I thought I had liquid plasma screen on my trousers. That was only Salvia Divinorum though. I've only done that and shrooms a few times.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

NiMRoD420

« Reply #34 on: 30 Dec 2006, 01:50 »

I defy anyone to make a more spacey track than "Astronomy Domine" by Floyd. The title alone makes it win.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #35 on: 31 Dec 2006, 11:24 »

I couldn't remember actually listening to any music other than that one song.  I would have loved to listen to more, but my trip didn't take me to any music.  We started watching the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour (which is a fucking WEIRD movie, by the way), and I peaked for 2 hours.  I could only sing words, I couldn't talk.  And the cats, my GOD the cats.  and Blue's Clues.  the damn dog was growling at me.

timehat

« Reply #36 on: 04 Jan 2007, 12:06 »

I defy anyone to make a more spacey track than "Astronomy Domine" by Floyd. The title alone makes it win.
I am thoroughly of the opinion that Voivod's cover of that song totally kicks the shit out of the original.

The Eyeball Kid

« Reply #37 on: 05 Jan 2007, 21:09 »

I would never describe the abject terror at the sheer existance of the universe as anything even remotely similar to sobriety.

I thought thats what sobriety is and what drugs and all that help us to forget

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #38 on: 29 Apr 2007, 20:49 »

As it all turns out, Coil was the band of the hour.  I ate 4 geltabs and put on Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1.  Red Birds Will Fly Out Of The East And Destroy Paris In A Night is an amazing song, for future reference.  And Brahms' Symphony No. 1.

Pages: [1]   Go Up