THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 23:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007 Records you might have missed(Links inside)  (Read 12349 times)

SeanBateman

Radicalfashion-Odori Piano based electronica out of Japan. Really complex and layered, and if nothing else, the musicianship is astounding. It's a little bit poppy, but in the best possible way. Definitely worth checking out if you like sounds!

Here's a quote from a bio
The richly textured and strikingly original Odori is a composite of contrasting elements. In all senses it is new, fresh, and distinctive yet it sounds familiar. It?s a fascinating sound-world where elegant, sophisticated piano compositions and highbrow experimentalism with uncommon scales collide with playful, modern electronics. It?s a lethargic sonata, free but structured, composed but improvisational.
Thousand and Ballet are standout tracks for me.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?btyjnyvnwry

Next Up:Lucky Soul- The Great Unwanted.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2007, 16:04 by Johnny Katz »

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
Re: 2007 Records you might have missed(Links inside)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2007, 16:09 »

That's on Hefty - a very worthwhile label to investigate.  The label owner's dad directed Ferris Bueller's Day Off and The Breakfast Club, and got John McEntire from Tortoise to do the soundtrack for one of his movies in the 90s.  There is no better reason to support a label.  :wink:

I found Radicalfashion on a listening post at my local music shop, which I was surprised by.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2007, 16:12 by fish across face »

SeanBateman

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2007, 17:25 »

Lucky Soul- The Great Unwanted.

I am basically straight up demanding that everyone give this album a listen. It's completely worked it's way into my skull and now I can't stop playing it over and over. It's really fun, light, pop music that somehow manages to be simultaneously incredibly simple and really complex. Incredibly easy to sing along to as well. Female vocalist, cute lyrics, definitely not one to miss.

My favorite tracks are Ain't Never Been Cool, Baby I'm Broke, and The Towering Inferno, but really every single song on here is good. Please, Please listen.

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?7t25zwe3hx1

SeanBateman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2007, 18:48 »

David Vandervelde- The Moonstation House Band.

This might be my favorite record of the year so far. Straight up 70's revival rock and roll, no pretension, no excess, just really good music. The fast songs are better than the slow songs, but it all comes together really well in the end. It's only an 8 track album, but still, check it out. Also I saw them live about a week ago and I do not think I have ever been rocked that hard in my life. I'd put him in the top 3 live acts I've ever seen. 4 or 5 minute solos in every song, including an amazing cover of the Rolling Stones "lonesome schoolboy" I can't reccomened this album enough.

Highlights are Nothin' No, Can't See Your Face No More, and Murder in Michigan.

hxxp://www.sendspace.com/file/ym1gcu

SeanBateman

« Reply #4 on: 14 Apr 2007, 20:13 »

Secret Mommy- Plays.

Really great glitch electronica album. The premise is that the guy asked a whole bunch of his friends to come lay down acoustic insturnmental and vocal tracks. None of the insturments were allowed to be plugged in in any way. Then he took those tracks, mixed them, and made an incredible album out of it. Some of the tracks with vocals get a little weird, but mostly it just sounds awesome. Really cool music that hovers between hauntingly beautiful and creepily unsettling, but never really makes up its mind which it wants to be. Also on my short list of best albums this year.
Highlights are: String Lake, Kool Aid River, The Tale of a Bird Hit By Lightning.

hxxp://senduit.com/460e28

I am not upping any more unless people who have downloaded these come talk to me about them. People who haven't are dumb, because this is all really good music.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 14 Apr 2007, 20:18 »

Isn't it still 2007? Don't I still have time to discover these albums?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SeanBateman

« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2007, 20:37 »

Isn't it still 2007? Don't I still have time to discover these albums?

I am making it easy on you!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2007, 21:02 »

I have a Secret Mommy album

But not this one

but it is a good album

I will get this one

and the rest of these too
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2007, 12:35 »

Fair enough Kieff.

I suppose I'll just post my Record Club albums here since that thread has died, plus then I'll post some good 2007 material.

SeanBateman

« Reply #9 on: 15 Apr 2007, 13:15 »

See? It works for everyone!

More to come later.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #10 on: 16 Apr 2007, 02:16 »

I have a few I'd like to share.

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #11 on: 16 Apr 2007, 11:37 »

Awesome stuff, thanks for the links.

SeanBateman

« Reply #12 on: 16 Apr 2007, 13:12 »

Did anyone listen to the vandervelde? I want opinions.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #13 on: 16 Apr 2007, 14:03 »

I'm going to be downloading them all, I'll give you my thoughts in the next day or so.

SeanBateman

« Reply #14 on: 16 Apr 2007, 15:02 »

Field Music - Tones of Town

I downloaded this on someone elses reccomendation, and it didn't disappoint. It's basically pop music from England, but I guess more? The music is dense in some places but the melodies remain strong throughout, and the vocals are super fun. They're compared to Maximo Park, who I've never heard, and the Futureheads, who I think they are way way better thank. They remind me a tiny bit of The Unicorns, but only on a couple tracks and only because of the Synths they use.

Highlights=Give it Lose It Take It, A House is Not a Home, and Closer at Hand.

Check it out!

hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?3dmmoddnyfz

Next up is Frog Eyes - Tears of The Valedictorian.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 16 Apr 2007, 15:11 »

Not so much "compared to" as "share members with"

SeanBateman

« Reply #16 on: 16 Apr 2007, 15:22 »

Not so much "compared to" as "share members with"

Suddenly so much makes sense!

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2007, 16:24 »

Did anyone listen to the vandervelde? I want opinions.

I've given it one full listen through, and I like it.  I agree that the fast songs are better than the slow ones, though I would have to say that "Jacket" is my favorite track of the lot.  I also felt like the last song (the instrumental one) didn't quite seem to fit well with the rest.

fish across face

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2007, 08:11 »

Dirk Hopeless??

Thanks for the uploads, gave all but the one that you said sounds like 70s rock a listen.  I didn't really like any of them, but I'm glad to be able to check them out. 

I think Lucky Soul could grow on me... idea-wise I find it awful, but it is ripping off sounds I really like, so we'll see... Weirdly I find it really 80s, insofar as it makes me think of bands like the Style Council and even Bowie doing 50s and 60s throwback tracks back then.  I really don't like the slow numbers, but some of the upbeat ones are much more beefy and fun than other vaguely anaemic "pure pop" acts.

Re: Radicalfashion, if you like the tracks with Carl Stone it's worth checking out some of his own stuff.  I remember the CD he did with Tetsu Inoue being pretty great. Unfortunately I don't have it with me right now.  He used to have heaps of stuff on MP3.com back before it was bought out... which is probably close to 10 years ago now.  :oops:  Oh well.

I can recommend lots of other stuff like Secret Mommy, if you're interested.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2007, 02:18 »

The standout album for me was Lucky Soul...so good and poppy. The others, I will have to listen to more and see if they grow on me.

Here.

Lost In The Trees - Time Taunts Me
http://tinyurl.com/3dpmve

If you're a fan of Final Fantasy, Andrew Bird or any band with big orchestrated productions, you'll like LITT. The instrumental songs are haunting and this might sound silly, but it made me think of an dark opera or a soundtrack to a movie like Batman.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #20 on: 19 Apr 2007, 04:39 »

well i havn't played final fantasy since ff6...i should probably get an emulator or something but have never been bothered...anyway they sound like a supernintendo game soundtrack AWESOME *goes and gets*
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

SeanBateman

« Reply #21 on: 19 Apr 2007, 16:52 »

Frog Eyes - Tears of The Valedictorian.

I do not know how to describe this album! Basically every song is like if you took some dudes and told them, "alright you are good at insturments, I want you to go into the studio and go fucking crazy. A lot of the time the tempo's are weird, and the rythems are almost off, but in a really cool way! I like the record a lot, but the fast, explosive songs are better than the slow ones, again. Also the vocalist sounds like if Win Buttler woke up one morning and decided that instead of dirging he would just do everything fucking awesome from now on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4zzbwjtzmji

Also I will from now on continue to upload one album for every 3 people who actually talk about the previous albums in this thread.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 19 Apr 2007, 17:21 »

The Frog Eyes album is easily in my top 3 for albums I've listened to so far this year.  I can't wait until I'm actually going to be able to buy it.  All you folks should give it a listen.

Foocault

« Reply #23 on: 19 Apr 2007, 19:34 »

So far I've downloaded the Lucky Soul and Secret Mommy albums.  I think both are superb, thanks a lot!

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #24 on: 19 Apr 2007, 23:08 »

Holy fuck, that field music album is so delicious. Everything else is pretty ok, but I mean, I don't know if it will be kicking around on my MP3 player by 2008, while this definately will be.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

SeanBateman

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2007, 23:58 »

The Frog Eyes album is easily in my top 3 for albums I've listened to so far this year.  I can't wait until I'm actually going to be able to buy it.  All you folks should give it a listen.

Can you explain it? I do not know how to explain why it is so fucking good, but it is so fucking good.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #26 on: 20 Apr 2007, 01:32 »

I couldn't really get into it. It was just so incredibly ridiculous. For me, it is more of an album to put on at a party at that time around 1:30 am when all the wankers have left, but plenty of people are still awake enough to have a good time.

I should also probably mention that the people left at this hypothetical party are on a lot of drugs.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #27 on: 20 Apr 2007, 01:56 »

Can you explain it? I do not know how to explain why it is so fucking good, but it is so fucking good.

I'm not sure I can explain it, all I know is that after a few beers it seems even more excellent.  The vocals, as with all other Frog Eyes that I've listened to, are amazingly impassioned.  The instruments, though not sounding like those in an ordinary sort of rock album, are played with skill and work wonderfully to compliment Carey Mercer's voice.  The lyrics are great.  The album never ceases to see unique, moments within it are unlike anything I've ever found elsewhere.  Listening to it know, I think it may just be my favourite release of the year so far.  We'll see how I feel in the morning though.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2007, 16:29 »

all of these are nice, i'm glad i ventured into the music forum again!

thanks kieffer
 i haven't listened to everything, but i have downloaded most, and i'm listening to some frog eyes now. maybe my least favourite so far... it will no doubt grow on me (sounds a bit meatloafy right now on stockades :/ )
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2007, 17:11 »

I just can't dig Frog Eyes. Mercer and co. write some decent tunes but maybe it's because I've seen them live and watching them live is an excruciating experience.

fish across face

« Reply #30 on: 21 Apr 2007, 05:22 »

Yeah, I think this Frog Eyes is awful.  I think the singer sounds like Bowie from time to time, or maybe just has similar vowels!? 

I also don't understand how it's supposed to sound weird or untraditional.  What's an example of one of the songs that you think sounds unusual?

Spinless

« Reply #31 on: 21 Apr 2007, 12:38 »

I haven't listened to this new Frog Eyes yet, but I have high hopes because the Folded Palm is one hell of an album, which cemented Frog Eyes as one of my favourite bands.

Chat comes soon.

Scytale

« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2007, 03:41 »

The New Samael album leaked

http://metaldlz.blogspot.com/2007/04/samael-solar-soul.html

Initial listen and I'm impressed, it's like a cross between Eternal and Passage with hints of the experimentation from Reign of the Light. Vorph's voice sounds awesome on this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up