THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 15:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music while you game?  (Read 11638 times)

Grawsith

Music while you game?
« on: 28 Dec 2006, 06:37 »

I'm liking The Infadels, and playing them when i'm in WoW is great. Also, New Order works wonders with Zelda:TP. Anyone else play stuff while they game?

(Apologies if this thread has been done before. I searched, but didn't find anything.)

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
Re: Music while you game?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2006, 09:09 »

I put my music on random while I play usually. Nothing in particular, but I've got a lot Slipknot and 90's alternative on my playlist.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2006, 10:36 »

I pretty much always game with the player on random

ackblom12

« Reply #3 on: 28 Dec 2006, 14:28 »

Honestly, I can't play a game with any sounds or music that aren't coming directly from the game. The only exception to this are games like Civilization.

GileX

« Reply #4 on: 28 Dec 2006, 17:07 »

Bah, really anything im into at the moment (usually death metal or metal of some sort). At the moment its dragonforce, was angra and arch enemy

Alarra

« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2006, 20:49 »

I've played WoW so nearly exclusively with Nightwish that now when certain songs of their's come on it conjures an instance in my mind.

Misguider

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2006, 21:28 »

I somehow cant game well in any game if the game has its original music playing

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2006, 23:48 »

In game, I leave the Sounds on but turn Music off. Then I shuffle through instrumental jams, mostly. I find vocals distracting for the most part while gaming, but instrumentals can add a lot to the mood.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 29 Dec 2006, 00:13 »

Honestly, I can't play a game with any sounds or music that aren't coming directly from the game.

This is especially true if you are playing We Love Katamari.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #9 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:48 »

I play the game with the game's music when it's important to hear the sound effects (dialogue, where gun shots are coming from, etc) and music. Otherwise I always out on my own music, which is whatever I'm listening to at the moment.

Often times I find myself hearing certain music at a later date and thinking back to the game I was playing while listening to it a lot. When I hear the Beastie Boys I think of Final Fantasy Tactics. More speficially, Built To Spill's live album makes me think of Dyntasy Warriors 3, because I got that CD from the library right when I was getting wayyyy too into DW3.

Guardian 452

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2006, 13:39 »

I'll only listen to music if I'm playing a game on my gba or something.  I don't care to listen to anything else if I'm playing a game on one of my systems.

Grawsith

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2006, 14:54 »

Often times I find myself hearing certain music at a later date and thinking back to the game I was playing while listening to it a lot.

This happens to me sometimes, but with TV shows. King Of Queens reminds me of Q3A.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:20 »

Dream Theater's "Train of Thought" album reminds me of Tony Hawk: Underground, and Rahzel, Metallica's "One" and Busta Rhyme's/MOP's "Ante Up" remind me of GTA3
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Entilzah

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:24 »

Flogging Molly always brings any of the FF's to memory for me. It's about the only thing I listen to when I play a FF game.

Alegis

« Reply #14 on: 01 Jan 2007, 17:34 »

Loved to do it in WoW. Eventually I used japanese combat music from Anime in the raids, made it much better.

Now for gaming, electro playlist or usual crap I listen to (indie etc). Depends. In BF2142 I usually wont enable music for better gameplay, but I like to have my speakers running something from ipod while wearing headset.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jan 2007, 22:33 »

i'm with the people who don't like non game music while they play. i like my gameplaying to be as immersive as possible and if i'm, say, shooting combine aliens and suddenly belle and sebastian comes on it's not going to be an immersive experience. often, especially with newer titles, ingame sound and music is an important part of the game. i just find outside music distracting.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2007, 23:29 »

I can totally understand the "no non-game music" rule for some people, as I went with it for quite a while. But I don't  play that many different games (I'm actually not much of a gamer), but the few I do play, I play a lot. It has reached the point where I've heard the same music so many times, in the same situations, that the music itself gets boring and distracting. I don't want to hear the same music every time I play the game, not anymore; I'd rather hear other stuff. Stuff I don't get to listen to all the time, but hey, I can have it playing while I game. I can still hear the talking and explosions and stuff, but with different music. Win-win situation for me.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Shming

« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2007, 08:31 »

Hmm I usually don't. For me games are all about atmosphere. I mainly play Resident Evil and Zelda.. and playing music or muting RE leads to dying most of the time.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2007, 10:27 »

...and if i'm, say, shooting combine aliens and suddenly belle and sebastian comes on it's not going to be an immersive experience..

Maybe if you're listening to music as you play, and are trying to feel like you "are" your character, you can consider that you are listening to headphones during battle, a la Jessica Biel in Blade Trinity :D
Just one way to think of it o.o
Boredom Makes You Cool.

nihilist

« Reply #19 on: 03 Jan 2007, 19:37 »

Depends on what game I am playing.  EVE, I turn off the in-game sounds, and just listen to music.  But FPS games?  I turn off ALL music.  I need to hear the footsteps and gunshots.

I am hardcore about my gaming.

theweirdone

« Reply #20 on: 05 Jan 2007, 23:17 »

Can't play with music not from the game... Just feels wrong...

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jan 2007, 01:25 »

There can be only one One  o.o
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #22 on: 08 Jan 2007, 07:18 »

When I play Super Smash Brothers Melee I like to listen to Coheed and Cambria.
Hate, rain on me

8ilbo

« Reply #23 on: 08 Jan 2007, 15:37 »

Benny Hill....Black and White rag...

I have them alternating on endless loop while I run around like a maniac on CSS  :-D

Other than that ingame music does me fine; besides, most of the time I'm talking to people at the same time...

Legendaryratboy

« Reply #24 on: 21 Apr 2007, 08:25 »

Mostly System of a Down or some other metal to make me angry and give me untold gaming capabilities.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #25 on: 21 Apr 2007, 09:08 »

It's pretty obvious to me now that it depends completely on what sort of game I'm playing and what I'm doing in it. I'm currently re-playing Star Ocean 2, and that game's music and sound effects get really tedious really fast, especially when you're trying to pickpocket the same people over and over, or level grinding new party members. Also, the voices in that game are just plain bad. So I tend to put on whatever music I want.

Same goes for puzzle games, or really any game where you're going to be hearing the same things over and over. The music tracks from Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI are my favorites from any games ever, but at some point I just want to hear something else.

But if it's a game where music/sound are vital to the game experience, like Meteos, RE4, or what have you, then I definitely don't put on other music.

Blind_Io

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2007, 18:30 »

With me it varies, if I am doing a First Person Shooter I don't want any music, I use my ears to clue me in to what is going on around the next corner.  For driving games it;s all about the classic rock (especially Queen).  For Guild Wars I just set it to random and use my keyboard media keys to skip anything that doesn't fit.

nihilist

« Reply #27 on: 27 Apr 2007, 18:49 »

I have music during Civ4.  That's really it.  Otherwise, I like to hear what is going on.  With driving games, gotta hear the engine.  With FPSs, gotta hear the footsteps.  Stuff like that.

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #28 on: 27 Apr 2007, 20:05 »

In EVE I turn off all sounds and music because when I do load a winamp playlist, I end up getting killed because I couldn't hear what was going on in my Ventrillo server.

So, yeah I play in silence...

For other games, usually go with in-game.

nihilist

« Reply #29 on: 27 Apr 2007, 20:13 »

In EVE, I just leave the weapon sounds on.  I get hypnotized into a dull half-asleep state, then I hear a missile pounding on me.

(Generally from mining.)

When we do fleet ops, I just try to ignore the asshats on TS.

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #30 on: 27 Apr 2007, 20:39 »

Haha I can't do that mike with weapon sounds... not when you are a Privateer  :wink:

Vent / TS is the only thing on since we have about 200+ targets running around...

Yeah, I can relate to the problem of idiots on these servers, though some of them quit so its actually quite tranquil.

Dear god, people still mine? :?
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2007, 20:42 by Johnny Evilguy »

B!shop

« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2007, 03:46 »

Depends. Some games I just have ingame music and sounds, but for others I listen to my own music. I'm somewhat picky about it, because listening to non-gaming music through headphones while gaming always makes me feel somewhat uncomfortable. As if it is invading my gaming experience.

I think rather specifically I would listen to my iPod whilst playing Shin Megami Tensei: Nocture for everything except the battles. But that's because the battle music for that rocked.

Also, generally with handhelds I won't listen to the ingame sounds and music, except if the soundtrack is rather good. Case in point - Sonic Rush

alongwaltz

« Reply #32 on: 28 Apr 2007, 13:33 »

I generally listen to music when I play video games because in-game music and sound effects are often annoying and irrelevant.

But there's not anything specific and my choice doesn't sync up with the game to create a proper mood or atmosphere.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2007, 20:48 »

If it's a game that's somewhat repetitive, and doesn't require a super whole lot of thought(something like Tetris, for instance) I like to play some music, usually whatever I've been listening to lately, or something that is ultra relaxing like Explosions In The Sky, or something. But if it's a game like Zelda, or something, I cannpt have music playing at all. I lose my focus too much.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2007, 07:06 »

I lump in with the group of folks who prefer to not have extraneous music playing when playing most games. I tend to stick to genres where the music is a big part of the experience and outside music tends to detract from it. Listening to Megadeth or Alice in Chains while playing Resident Evil 4 kind of pulls you out of the experience.

Games like Legend of Zelda or Final Fantasy have such epic and iconic soundtracks that it's an injustic to listen to something different.

Multiplayer games and online games can warrant outside music for me, though. If I'm playing multiplayer with a friend, usually we're bantering back and forth and ignoring the game sounds anyway.

It all depends on the genre and the intended atmosphere of the game and how many times I've played through it.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2007, 10:19 »

If I'm on the PS2, I can't listen to Music.  I have to hear what's going on in the game.

When I was playing online games, that didn't require sound, (most notably gothador.com, and sigmastorm.com) I would listen to a lot of slipknot, and greenday.  Occasionally some Tori Amos, and DMX too.

Meh, whatever...

I like all music.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

nihilist

« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:56 »

Haha I can't do that mike with weapon sounds... not when you are a Privateer  :wink:

Dirty hippy.  We are at war with you.  Also, I only do it with missions, just because I get distracted and forget that NPCs respawn.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2007, 15:40 »

I do it for games like Halo 2.  I used to listen to "Lord Gold Throneroom" by HORSE the Band while i'd play, and i'd feel like i'm playing better.  But there are games where i absolutely cannot turn off the music or have outside music.  Namely: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (amazing score), and Anarchy Online (epic music, though repetive).

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #38 on: 06 May 2007, 17:57 »

I knew there had to be at least one person in this forum that's a war target...

I recently played Quake III Arena and listened to Sky FM classical guitar station and it fit well too, getting top kills from my friend's server....

I'll try listening to Bach and Mozart to see how it affects performance

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #39 on: 06 May 2007, 18:16 »

The only instance I can think of is the way I played Scheherezade over the shittiness of the original Prince of Persia Warrior Within soundtrack.
Oh, the soundtrack.  It's so shitty.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #40 on: 07 May 2007, 02:13 »

I'll generally listen to music if it won't make it hard to listen to important in-game sounds or if the soundtrack is particularly good. Normally it's whatever I've been listening to at the time.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

miss mephisto

« Reply #41 on: 08 May 2007, 11:48 »

I almost always put on music when I play. Usually just my pod on shuffle, though I like alt. rock better than others when gaming. It's easy to listen to and/or tune out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up