THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 17:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any Help with other webcomics?  (Read 7605 times)

jwehman5000

Any Help with other webcomics?
« on: 23 Apr 2007, 06:41 »

Are there any other comics out there like Questionable Content?  I read about 10 webcomics a day but I haven't found anything else like QC and I've been looking hard.

Can anyone help me out?

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Re: Any Help with other webcomics?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2007, 00:49 »

Why read similar things? Variety is the spice of life.
Seriously, there's probably tons of knockoffs out there, none of them nearly as good as what Jeph does.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2007, 20:37 »

There are a few hilariously awful QC rip-off comics out there. Don't read those.

Read everything on my links page and in Dayfree Press.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2007, 21:35 »

are you taking about those horrible "originals" posted by that rude forumite?

they were delightfully awful, and by delightful I mean I wanted to gouge out my eyes for reading such things. and the fact that he actually thought they were any good what so ever made me laugh

my two cents are that you should check out VG Cats and Overcompensating, though Overcompensating is under jeph's links right?

Shishio

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2007, 13:28 »

You might like Ripped Ticket.

WJ

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:13 »

Hey Jeph, have you ever checked out GunnerKrigg Court?  www.gunnerkrigg.com  I found it this morning and kind of like it.  There's a charictar named Kat that sometimes looks a lot like Dora.  Check out panel 4 here:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=111   And panel 5 here:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=148

There's also a very Pintsize-like charactar (more evil, less fun-loving); a stuffed toy wolf that got possessed by a demon.  While it's plenty original enough not to qualify as a spin-off or copy, I'd bet Tom Siddell pulled some inspiration from QC.

WJ

Latnemele

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2007, 03:00 »

I also read quite alot of different webcomics and some of the best IMO are:

QC (of course)
Bob and George
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Least I Could Do
Nuklear Power

That is just to name a few.  None are better then QC but thier very good in thier
own way.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2007, 21:46 »

I wanna read the terrible rip offs too, just because I think they'd make me giggle.

Anyway, I reccomend:

Cat And Girl
Qwantz
A Softer World
The Perry Bible Fellowship
Achewood
Diesel Sweeties
xkcd
Toothpaste For dinner
Patches

And one that not so many people have heard of, but I love dearly:

Isolated Instances Of Non-Gravity(http://www.non-gravity.com/)
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 00:08 »

I came across one of the ripoffs on my own a while ago. It featured the basic "dude gets to college, meets a new person and exchanges remarks with them while experiencing college" formula, where a copy of Marten is the protagonist and a copy of Faye is the new friend. Shoddy knock-off of QC's brand of dialogue/banter, same 4 long panels on top of each other/newsbox to the left site design (although with red text on a black bg and a default serif font, if memory serves,) lousy art, no writing ability, etc.

It was great. I read every strip, every news post and every supplementary page (like a hideous car wreck where you slow down and can't look away.) I'd really like to see it again.

edit: love rhymes with "  "

HAHA nuts
« Last Edit: 21 May 2007, 00:10 by tomselleck69 »
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

nursethalia

« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2007, 13:31 »

Are there any other comics out there like Questionable Content?

Try 'Coffee of Doom'.

http://www.webcomicsnation.com/deviantyouth/cod/series.php

The name could be a coincidence, but the art seems a teensy weensy bit like Jeph's early style.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2007, 20:53 by nursethalia »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2007, 18:37 »

The name isn't a coincidence if I came up with it first.

Comics where I'm an obvious influence or whatever is fine. I can recall a time when QC pulled heavily from the style of some of my favorite comics. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. But it does bug me when people wholly appropriate ideas or artwork from my strip and claim it as their own. I've seen at least one guy who literally just traced a couple of my characters and then started talking about what a great leap forward his drawing abilities had taken. That's pretty weak. I'm not even that good an artist! There are so many people better than me that they could be ripping off! Gah!
« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 18:44 by jeph »
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

nursethalia

« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2007, 01:47 »

The name isn't a coincidence if I came up with it first.

Comics where I'm an obvious influence or whatever is fine. I can recall a time when QC pulled heavily from the style of some of my favorite comics. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. But it does bug me when people wholly appropriate ideas or artwork from my strip and claim it as their own. I've seen at least one guy who literally just traced a couple of my characters and then started talking about what a great leap forward his drawing abilities had taken. That's pretty weak. I'm not even that good an artist! There are so many people better than me that they could be ripping off! Gah!

Meh, the only reason I say it could be coincidence is because I went through a phase back in high school where I added the words "of doom" after every noun I could think of. And yes, Jeph, you ARE a good artist. Just take a look through your own archives and see how much your art has changed. Even in the past few months, your sense of proportion has improved greatly! I know very few people who'd be willing to work as consistently on their particular style as long as you have. And after four years you're still seeking to improve your technique, and that says a lot about you!

...By the way, every time my mum ever told me imitation was the sincerest form of flattery I seriously contemplated punching someone! My little sister had a bad habit of tracing everything in my portfolio and showing it off to her friends at her own...annoying yes (I suppose that's what younger siblings are for), but not nearly as frustrating as coming across a picture of something traced from your own works!

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2007, 20:56 by nursethalia »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2007, 20:50 »

I've definitely IMPROVED but I'm not what I would consider "good" yet.

Maybe in another four years.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2007, 13:43 »

No offence to anyone, but that strip was pretty much the suck.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

nursethalia

« Reply #14 on: 02 Jun 2007, 18:41 »

No offence to anyone, but that strip was pretty much the suck.

I think they got cute after he stopped using coloured pencils.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2007, 14:21 by nursethalia »

Dreimon

« Reply #15 on: 02 Jun 2007, 21:38 »

He did acknowledge being inspired by QC here http://www.coffeeofdoom.com/view.php?date=2007-05-11
Pages: [1]   Go Up