THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 11:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Games With Awesome Kick-Ass Endings/Final Boss Fights *Spoilers For Everything*  (Read 14093 times)

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

Jeph's bad ending thread made me think about some of my favorite endings.

(1) God of War II:  You get to beat the living crap out of Zeus, Athena gets offed, and you get treated to a gorgeous 10 minute cinematic of the Titans attacking Mount Olympus.  Plus the ending fight, although easy and kind of gimmicky, is graphically gorgeous.  The whole game is stunning but the ending was particularly satisfying.

(2) Gears of War:  I really, really liked the final boss.  He was just the right level of difficulty on the second highest difficulty level and it was extremely gratifying to down him with that final headshot just when you think you're completely screwed.  I've played the game through solo and with a friend, and the final fight with a friend is INTENSE.  The cinematic was meh and predictably sequel oriented but it suitably menacing and made you feel sort of bad for the grubs.

(3) FFVII:  Ok so Sephiroth was ridiculously easy, but he was freakin' SEPHIROTH.  Nothing more needs to be said on this subject.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2007, 07:38 by pilsner »

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I thought the final boss fight to Final Fantasy VII was crap, as a note.

Anyways, my top three:

1. Final Fantasy VI: The long fight with Kefka is made inherintly more badass when combined with the epic score that is Dancing Mad.

2. Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess: I'm so counting the entire Ganondorf fight, from when you encounter him posessing Zelda to the final duel. The entire thing just felt absolutely epic.

...you know, I can't really think of any other games where the final boss stands out that epically well.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

From a gameplay persepective, the fight with Sephiroth was crap.  From a BAD-ASS perspective it was BAD-ASS, however.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

I really loved the ending to Throne of Bhaal, the expansion to Baldur's Gate 2, but only when the Ascension mod is installed. Basically, it restores a whole lot of cut content to the endgame, and the result is vastly different from the fairly disappointing vanilla ending to the story. It's fittingly epic.

Also, it makes all the boss fights throughout the game a fuck of a lot more challenging. Instead of 1 dragon in Abazigal's lair, for example, it's now 3.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2007, 21:14 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pentaen

• Furry furrier

fighting "the boss" at the end of metal gear solid three is sooo epic, also interesting because if you follow the story you are being forced to do what you do not wnat.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

Shadow Of The Colossus had an ending so badass i actually grew a second set of nuts.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff

The ending "area" of Lufia 2, from when you reach the triad of islands to the end of the game. Specifically:

1) Escher-esque towers populated by awesome monsters with amazing magic items + bossfights at the top
2) Dekar coming back out of nowhere and beating the shit out of everything
3) Giant flying island shooting at you with lasers
4) Spiffy final castle with pretty cool music
5) The whole scene at the very end where you destroy the crystals under the island

<edit>
and yes, the last colossus in SotC was frickin' amazing.
</edit>

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

The ending of Hitman: Blood Money was pretty good. Took me an extra playthrough or two to figure out that 47 was still alive.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish

It wasn't exactly the ending (although that was awesome too), but losing the horse on the way to the last Colossi felt like a gut-punch the first time it happened.
Before, I was feeling kinda bad for killing these things, especially since I could see it was having a bad effect on Wander (wasn't the hair red to begin with?), but after that, I was "My name is Wander.  You killed my horse.  Prepare to die."

Also, it was a lame fight, and the To Be Continued was even lamer, but the cutscene at the end of Soul Reaver 2 where Raziel kills himself ("I renounce you." = Kickass), then finally gets an idea of what Kain's been planning for the last thousand-odd years was brilliant.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

0bsessions

• Quiki

That was Defiance, actually, not Soul Reaver 2. The Soul Reaver games didn't really have ANY ending. The first you go through the chronoplast chamber and meet Mobius and it's just "To Be Continued..." and then the second one the Blood Reaver tries to devour Raziel and Kain shows up and utilizes the moment to remove the Reaver and break the cycle of fate surrounding Raziel with another "To be continued..."

Beyond that, I don't remember a "I renounce you" line. I do remember "I release you" when he devoured Mobius's soul at the end, though.
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

Earthbound's final boss is amazing. You're fighting this crazy time space warp demon face thing, and it's telling you all these strange disturbing things while you fight it. And in order to win, you have to make Paula do her Pray command 7 times in a row.

Chrono Trigger is the best RPG ever in my opinion, and one of the many pieces of that awesome-ness is the final boss. Depending on how you approach him, the fight is anywhere from from two to three bosses in a row. The music for each different 'form' is also amazing, as is the psychedelic scrolling background for its final form. THEN when you beat the game, you get New Game + and can start the game anew with all your equipment, levels, skills, and items just as they were when you finished it, enabling you to go fight Lavos at anytime during this new round leading to around a dozen different endings. Whew!!

Not to spoil anything, but Metroid Prime 3: Corruption's final dungeon and boss(es) are suitably epic.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker is my (so far) favorite Zelda game. The final boss is who you'd expect, but the fact that you have the pirate chick *SPOILER*who is actually Princess Zelda*SPOILER* to help you out during it is really damn cool, especially the tactics you have to use to defeat him.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish

That was Defiance, actually, not Soul Reaver 2.
Beyond that, I don't remember a "I renounce you" line. I do remember "I release you" when he devoured Mobius's soul at the end, though.

No, it was SR2.  When I said kills himself, I meant he kills the human Sarafan he used to be, and actually revered as noble at the beginning of the game.  They fight, Raziel runs his past self through with the Reaver, and renounces what he used to be as he does so.

Then the whole struggle with the Reaver, and he realises that Kain has been doing all of this in an attempt to find a way out of the doomed choices they've all been forced into.

0bsessions

• Quiki

Oh, okay. The wording was a bit iffy considering he actually did kill himself in Defiance and all.
JON MADE ME GAY

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

This thread is starting to resemble this t-shirt.  Awesome.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2007, 07:40 by pilsner »

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish

I've never gotten around to watching Donnie Darko, now it's ruined.  Thanks.
That aside, I love the design.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker

YOU WERE WARNED

EDIT:  Now that would be an awesome final boss.  Like, you get to the Atlas and before you can kill him, he recites a few movie spoilers and maybe fraudulently debits a few hundred dollars from your bank account.  Just to really get across how incredibly evil he is.  ARGs rule.
« Last Edit: 05 Sep 2007, 07:37 by pilsner »

ScrambledGregs

Which movie is "the villagers sacrifice the policeman"??

0bsessions

• Quiki

It's from the Wickerman.
JON MADE ME GAY

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home

The Metal Gear Solid series has always provided incredible endings, especially the second and third ones.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

The Metal Gear Solid series has always provided incredible endings, especially the second and third ones.
The third one was good, but I hated MGS2's ending. I hated most of MGS2's plot elements anyway.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tehz

I think I might be the only person out there who actually liked MGS2's plot.

Nearly everyone I've asked disagrees with my opinion of that game. It's probably my favorite game of all time, and I am dead serious when I say that.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

It's a fun enough game, and it moves along at a brisk pace, but... there's just too much wacky shit. More than normal. Paranormal possession of the most badass character in the game by a eurotrash Bond villain? check. Vampires? check. Clone as president? check. Needlessly dramatic limp-faking? check. Otacon's sister being conveniently put in charge of Arsenal Gear computer tech? check.

And that ending. It's fun, no doubt, what with the UI fucking itself up as the virus alters the VR in Arsenal Gear, but then it goes into an epilogue about... choices or something, and Raiden meets his pregnant turncoat girlfriend somehow. They're jettisoning that whole arc in MGS4. Raiden's the new gray fox, Rose is nowhere to be found.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Tehz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_2_characters#Rosemary

"Hideo Kojima confirmed in his Hideochan radio blog that Rosemary will return in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots."

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy

The ending for every installment of the new Prince of Persia trilogy is awesome. In Sands of Time you kind of get this bittersweet ending because he has to erase the memories of the love interest. Warrior Within fell down a little because you have to get all the life upgrades to get the real ending. Two Thrones not only has an epic boss fight but has an extra challenge at the end where you fight the Dark Prince in the "Mental Realm" which is less epic but still cool to watch. And the ending of the game really ties every installment together.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metal_Gear_Solid_2_characters#Rosemary

"Hideo Kojima confirmed in his Hideochan radio blog that Rosemary will return in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots."
Hmm, could've sworn Vamp was going to get her.

Wonder how they'll tie up the Russian lady's baby arc.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

Diablo II's boss fights are pretty awesome.  Of course, I've only seen Andariel, the guy that you fight instead of Baal in Tal Rasha's Tomb, and Mephisto.  I have yet to fight Diablo or Baal.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation

I've never played a MGS game, but after seeing all the weird kinds of shit Kojima likes to pull with gameplay (setting your system clock ahead, having to switch controller ports, etc.), I'm interested to see what he comes up with for MGS4. Still, if it doesn't come to the 360 I probably won't bother with it.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

Which movie is "the villagers sacrifice the policeman"??

It happened in Silent Hill the movie

I for one loved the ending to Wind Waker, probably even more then the one for Twlight Princess

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

The ending to Wind Waker was pretty much the best moment in any Zelda.

Also, I hate you all for not having mentioned Super Metroid already. The final Mother Brain fight defined "holy fuck" moments.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

did i completely miss this part of the game
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

did i completely miss this part of the game
No, I had just read that Rose was going to get killed by Vamp, thus ensuring the acrobatic Vamp v. Raiden/Cyberninja fight FMV we've already seen. Apparently that is not the case.

It's still confusing, since the earliest reports of the game's plot confirmed that not only would Vamp be returning, but he would technically be on Snake's side. I'm sure there are ways that could play out.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

Metal Gear Solid is such an epic series that I wish I liked it.

I'm sorry guys, I just don't get it. It reminds me heavily of the GTA series because, while it does entirely unique, new things, it does very few of them flawlessly. Now, I think this deserves some explanation. In GTA:SA (eg.), the food and clothing thing just sucks. Clothes take so fucking long to try on that it's really not worth spending 5 whole minutes trying to decide on new socks. Food is almost as bad, with no ability to rob stores, no ability to steal food, etc., and it also has the same problem of taking literally 5 seconds to cycle between each "meal". The voices get old, and the system itself gets repetitious and aggravating.

That's a very small part of the game, but the same unpolished feel happens through all three games. MGS has the same feel. Codec monologues are plain annoying, and the voice acting on Snake is the most irritating sandpaper-against-my-eardrums noise I've ever heard. It's so completely over-the-top it reminds me of the overdub on Daft Punk's One More Time, except this time it's used 100% seriously. Besides the plot being completely ass-backwards, the gameplay usually feels hollow and old-school, especially the top-down perspective and difficulty aiming with ANYTHING outside of first-person.

Now I know everyone is going to yell at me, but I should say this: I don't hate either series. For all the unpolished feelings, they're still amazingly fun games. I just have never understood people calling EITHER of these two games, perfect.

Man this rant does not belong here.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

camelpimp

I just finished the orginal Lunar 2 and that ending was pretty boss, despite having so much cheese you could make pizza out of it.

LordNagash

I really liked the ending to Baldurs Gate II, not Throne of Bhaal. Giving Irenicus the finger was so fun, only to be sent to hell with him, man, I never saw it coming. I suppose it felt so good because I think Irenicus was one of the best villains I have seen. Thanks in no small part to David Warners voice work.

guywithoutsocks

The ending to Wind Waker was pretty much the best moment in any Zelda.

Also, I hate you all for not having mentioned Super Metroid already. The final Mother Brain fight defined "holy fuck" moments.

Agreed on both counts, though I'd probably still pick the last battle of Ocarina of Time over other Zelda end-battles.
Pages: [1]   Go Up