THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 07:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Games We Hate  (Read 35492 times)

Postino

Re: The Games We Hate
« Reply #100 on: 11 Aug 2007, 04:02 »

Oddly I am going to have to credit Eve for honoring crafters as much as adventurers, odd but true.

The Flasher

« Reply #101 on: 11 Aug 2007, 17:01 »

I hold a special hatred in my heart for Pools of Radiance (The one released in 2004.)  The install was impossible for me, it needed 2 gigs in your C drive, but I had partitioned my drive so that C had Windows installed and was a total of 2.5 gigs... D and E were huge though!

Eventually they released a patch which allowed you to install to a different drive... But even then the installer would check your C drive for space first....

Sigh.  I stuck with it and actually got a new hard drive.  Then I realized it was a stale game with no point, a ton of lag and absolutely no discernable plot.  To be fair, I gave up after a total of about 4 hours, but I don't think a single part of that experience was fun for me.

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #102 on: 11 Aug 2007, 21:14 »

While I loved 1 & 2, Resident Evil 4 is one of the only games my PS2 will never play again.  I did fine in the older games, but I couldn't get really good at the controls in this game, hence I was killed so fast in the beginning of the game (again, and again, and again) - that I couldn't even really start the story of the game.  Things like that really drove me nuts so I just turned off the game and played something else.

ackblom12

« Reply #103 on: 12 Aug 2007, 11:07 »

Perhaps I have not played this game enough to determine this, but jesus fuck I really hate Valkyrie Profile 2.

I got it in the mail yesterday, put it in for 3 hours today and is now getting mailed back.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #104 on: 30 Aug 2007, 05:25 »

I hold a special hatred in my heart for Pools of Radiance (The one released in 2004.)  The install was impossible for me, it needed 2 gigs in your C drive, but I had partitioned my drive so that C had Windows installed and was a total of 2.5 gigs... D and E were huge though!

Eventually they released a patch which allowed you to install to a different drive... But even then the installer would check your C drive for space first....

Sigh.  I stuck with it and actually got a new hard drive.  Then I realized it was a stale game with no point, a ton of lag and absolutely no discernable plot.  To be fair, I gave up after a total of about 4 hours, but I don't think a single part of that experience was fun for me.
Don't worry, I beat the game and I'm here to tell you that you missed nothing. I have a tendency to play super bad games clear through for no good reason.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #105 on: 06 Sep 2007, 18:13 »

Not so much hate as wtf am I supposed to do now; Fallout 1 and 2. I don't actively dislike either, I just could never quite get the hang of them. Go find the GECK! Ok, where the fuck is the GECK? How about a clue as to where to start? Or a tutorial, for that matter? I have a feeling I might love these games (I love the setting to bits), but it just seems like a hopeless project, which is incredibly frustrating.
That's the point, though. The game doesn't hold your hand. You're thinking of it too much in terms of linearity. In 1, you're supposed to roleplay and ask people in the gameworld where a water chip can be found, and most won't know, but as you go through the different areas it eventually reveals itself (I can just tell you where to look if that's not your thing). In 2, there's no time limit. The main questline takes up barely 5% of the game, if that. It's like Oblivion, you're supposed to handle everything else the game has to offer first. Except unlike Oblivion, there are precious few fetch quests and there are usually several ways of going about solving problems. Besides, they do tell you where to start. The village elder tells you to look for Trader Vic, who had Vault 13 artifacts. You go to Klamath to find Vic at his house, he's not there. You go to the Den and it turns out he's being held hostage by slavers. Once you get Vic out, he points you to Vault City, etc. etc. But it's not a race. You should gain a few levels before heading out to VC.

But I can see how it could be confusing. A few big tips: One - always, always run a character with "small guns" tagged your first time through. Two - When you get to the Den, on the left side of the map there's a building with a trader inside along with a few junkies and whores. Kill him. You'll get all of his stuff, which you'll need, and there are no cops in the Den, so nobody cares. Three - When you're done with that punk, there's a backroom in the crackhouse to the south with a bald trader in the back wearing a green shirt. Repeat tip two, but turn up the combat movement speed in the options menu, because the junkies will scatter, and they move very slow and very far.

Now you're ready to play.

As I said in another thread, I've always hated first-party Nintendo games. I can play the later versions of Mario and enjoy them, but Zelda and Metroid bore me to tears. I also hate any game that requires grinding to play properly, ie any MMO or JRPG.
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2007, 18:20 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #106 on: 06 Sep 2007, 18:18 »

Halo

its only good if your good.

and I sir are not good.

And WoW for making EQ look so bad...
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #107 on: 06 Sep 2007, 20:48 »

Also WoW for eating the souls of all my friends who started playing 'to see what the fuss was about' who I haven't seen in months.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #108 on: 06 Sep 2007, 20:53 »

Also WoW for eating the souls of all my friends who started playing 'to see what the fuss was about' who I haven't seen in months.
That happens far too often. And it doesn't help that most of my friends are the type that would fall for it hook, line and sinker.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #109 on: 06 Sep 2007, 20:54 »

Yeah we just got done weaning one kid off a several-year drug addiction then he's all like 'so guys I'm gonna try this Warcraft game' welp won't be seeing him for another 50 months.

Icoop

« Reply #110 on: 06 Sep 2007, 21:20 »

But I can see how it could be confusing. A few big tips: One - always, always run a character with "small guns" tagged your first time through. Two - When you get to the Den, on the left side of the map there's a building with a trader inside along with a few junkies and whores. Kill him. You'll get all of his stuff, which you'll need, and there are no cops in the Den, so nobody cares. Three - When you're done with that punk, there's a backroom in the crackhouse to the south with a bald trader in the back wearing a green shirt. Repeat tip two, but turn up the combat movement speed in the options menu, because the junkies will scatter, and they move very slow and very far.

Now you're ready to play.
Hehe the fallout series ruled also; my favorite way to Roll Fallout 2 is just to haul ass and quicksave everychance you get all the way to San Fran. Talk to the Brotherhood and run up to Navaro, steal the power armor, and then go back to Klamath to commence gaming.

I usually hate games that I'm not good at including; 2d fighters and beat games. Neither of them are so bad until you start playing multiplayer though, theres nothing quite as infuriating as practicing a game all day long and then promptly getting your ass handed(over, and over, and etc) to you by your best friend.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #111 on: 07 Sep 2007, 05:28 »

that happened to me in guilty gear
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #112 on: 09 Sep 2007, 21:40 »

Two Worlds.  It's an attempt to take a gameworld bigger than Oblivion and some more hardcore aspects of ARPGS and mix them together.  They don't even do this right.  While enemies don't scale, most of them can be beaten by luring them to a health shrine which heals you whenever you're damaged; and just hacking away, making this even easier than Oblivion.  The voice-acting is far more varied than Oblivion's and also far cheesier.  When your character (who can only be a human male with a VERY limited set of facial features) kills a chicken and says "Say hello to Death!", you'll probably be on the floor laughing and in tears. 

Considering the sheer size of this world, there are relatively few dungeons.  Whereas Oblivion had somewhere in the number of 300 or so dungeons, this one has about 60, and then a few outdoor caves and enemy forts.  And several hundred campsites of three bandits and a chest.  Some of the chests at said camps don't even open.  Horses are so poorly done that I at one point was leaning about 20 degrees from the ground, which was already at an incline, on a horse.  Enemies frequently die and fall through the geometry, or stay in battle positions like statues of war.  Citizens have pretty much the same response to everything in a given village.  The map just sucks, quests will often give no hint whatsoever as to where you have to go (the ones where you have to find people and kill them).  Entire quest lines can be skipped by doing things in the wrong order (this doesn't mean they were branching quest lines, this means that a quest line was inaccessible after completing a completely unrelated quest line).  It is even possible to break the story quest line.  People you have to meet for sidequests might just decide that they don't exist.  You can go to their house and wait and wait and wait and nothing will happen.  Quests can be solved before they're even started.

Like Oblivion and Morrowind, this game relies on cells to load areas, and lets you know when you're loading them.  But just as often, there will be an unexplained hang-up of about 5 seconds.  Frame rates are inconsistent, it looks awful on standard definition TVs (you can't read the damn words because they're too tiny and serif-ized).  Enemy variety is almost non-existent.  I made it to level 32 fighting Orcs, Goblins, Wolves, Bears, Boars, and a couple Ogres.  And boatloads of shirtless bandits.  It's surprisingly easy to get over insurpassable mountains and find yourself in an area the developer clearly had not planned on anybody visiting. 

The whole thing is just one big fucking mess.  I would bet money on the developers not hiring ANY QA testers whatsoever.  Atari 2600 games had fewer bugs than this, it's just ridiculous.  It has every one in the book short of deleting the root directory on uninstall. 

That being said, there were two good things about the game:  the Alchemy/Weapon system, and the variety of locales.  The rest of the game was pretty much canned scabs in a broth of diarrhea.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

JanusKain

« Reply #113 on: 11 Sep 2007, 00:00 »

I hate Resident Evil 4, it is over-hyped.  The entire Resident Evil series has stopped being survival horror, and the controls are mediocre at best.    And when taken as what is left, an over the shoulder third persion shooter, its a third rate game.  The "interactive cut scenes" annoyed me to no end as well, just could not stand them.  The story was bland and uninventive, I felt no attachment to any of the characters.  Also, the enemies  are one of the most bland types of enemies.  They just come at you when they see you, or attack you.  No real group dynamics are displayed.  It makes me sad.   :-(

supertankguy

• Plantmonster
  • o hai
« Reply #114 on: 11 Sep 2007, 15:46 »

Tribes 2.

The original Tribes evolved into an extremely fast paced, team-based, FPS with some strategy elements.  Tribes 2, by design, removed/limited the speed and turned the focus from speed and aiming ability to pure strategy.  Also, the attitude of the devs managed to fracture the community that had built up around the original game and destroy the franchise.

Spinless

« Reply #115 on: 11 Sep 2007, 17:05 »

There is only one game I hate.
Iridion 3D for the gameboy advance.

I figured since I was an master or R-type and Gradius that I could get good at that game and obliterate it. Not the case. So frustrating I smashed a gameboy advance into itty bitty pieces and nearly snapped the cartridge in two.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #116 on: 12 Sep 2007, 13:54 »

Tribes 2.

The original Tribes evolved into an extremely fast paced, team-based, FPS with some strategy elements.  Tribes 2, by design, removed/limited the speed and turned the focus from speed and aiming ability to pure strategy.  Also, the attitude of the devs managed to fracture the community that had built up around the original game and destroy the franchise.

Oh my god, I had nearly put all that behind me. To say it "fractured" the community is a polite way to say it. As for myself, I'd put it this way: the way the community transitioned between Tribes games was a complete, unmitigated clusterfuck. People complain that the NMA site has the most toxic community of gamers going, but I'd say they don't hold a candle to the worst Tribes grognards. It was terrible; the developers slowed the game down just enough to piss off the veterans but added in too many features for the game to be any easier to learn for newbies, leading to the videogame equivalent of class warfare and perhaps the single most hostile enviroment I had ever had the displeasure of playing in. I'm glad the series is dead, despite how much I had once enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007, 13:58 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #117 on: 12 Sep 2007, 14:18 »

Woah.  Back in the Starcraft days I used to bitch about getting slapped around by maphackers and having battle.net go down more times than a seasick hooker at a paraplegic's convention.  But you definitely win.  Yikes.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #118 on: 12 Sep 2007, 18:26 »

Heh, okay, perhaps I was being a bit melodramatic, but that's really part of what made it so bad: Tribes 2 had drama queens like me running around with spinfusors ruining everything!
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2007, 18:28 by Whipstitch »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #119 on: 12 Sep 2007, 18:37 »

Pissier than NMA? Surely you jest.

Actually NMA isn't that terrible. It's RPG Codex that gives NMA its bile-black color.

You know what game I hated? Dungeon Siege 2. I actually bought it on a whim, took it home and it was like a terrible game turned into a Uwe Boll movie then turned into a game again (except, Boll is actually making a Dungeon Siege movie, last time I checked)
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #120 on: 12 Sep 2007, 19:14 »

Well, here's the thing about the NMA guys: No matter how much they bitch, they can't really ruin Fallout itself for anyone. It's a single player game, thank god. Tribes, on the other hand, had no real single player content to speak of, so you either managed to get your friends together or else you fended for yourself amongst the ravening mouthbreathers that polluted the community.

supertankguy

• Plantmonster
  • o hai
« Reply #121 on: 13 Sep 2007, 07:06 »

Pissier than NMA? Surely you jest.

Here's the wiki article on the largest of the fan sites.  Currently it's the 16th largest video game forum on the net.  But, at the time, it was probably in the top 3 since most of the forums that are now larger either didn't exist or hadn't been around that long.  Lots of extremely vocal, angry people make for some huge drama.

Tycho from Penny Arcade called the 'hardcore' group at Tribalwar.com a "whiners choir" because they were in favor of faster gameplay whereas he wanted more vehicles, bigger bases, etc.  Personally, I was one of the people complaining about the capped speed.  It was what made the game more interesting for me, not being able to drive 51321 types of vehicles or hang out in a huge base.  If I had wanted something like that I would've been playing Battlefield, which was released at roughly the same time.

Joey JoJo

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.myspace.com/punchthedj
« Reply #122 on: 14 Sep 2007, 03:38 »

I'm honestly surprised that no-body has mentioned The Sims and all of the bastard offspring yet. I just don't understand how anyone can garner any sort of enjoyment from that game. Although, if you're in a relationship and your significant other has that game, chances are that they'll make a little loved up couple and a family, and then drown you in the pool or kill you via some other virtual method when you do something wrong or split up with them.
When I asked my doctor why it hurt when I urinate, he pointed out that my penis was on fire.  I guess that's why he's the doctor.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #123 on: 14 Sep 2007, 12:19 »

I like the Sims, but then I'm the sort of person that made the Tycoon series into a sleeper hit. I just build houses and try playing around with various interior design schemes rather than ever actually you know, goof around with the Sims themselves. I've had some interesting conversations with people on the subject of the Sims, and it helped me understand why so many people believe gamers to be socially maladjusted in general. There are times where it seems like most gamers are entirely uninterested in sandbox gameplay until they figure out you can trap people and watch them slowly die or gun down hookers in GTA.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2007, 12:20 by Whipstitch »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #124 on: 14 Sep 2007, 12:53 »

I also hate any game that requires grinding to play properly, ie any MMO or JRPG.

I don't envy JRPG designers; balancing those games for the mass audience has to be a real pain in the ass. For example, there's the guys like my brother; not big on risk taking and end up grinding because they prefer to treat items as emergency measures. Then there's players like me: people who pretty much never grind and routinely run from about half the fights in any given JRPG while tearing through rare expendable items as if they were a dime a dozen, often beating the game while severely "underleveled" by many people's standards. It sounds great, but anyone who plays that way will someday learn the hard way that they are merely one poorly chosen save point away from backtracking and replaying chunks of the game. And then there's the third guy; willing to grind like my brother but downs expendable items as quickly as I do. Trying to keep the game challenging for all three types of players has to be damn near impossible. Do it badly and you get the guys in group 1 saying the game is too tedious, the guys in group 2 saying the game is too "cheap" or frustrating and the guys in group 3 saying the game is both too tedious AND too easy. Honestly, they're never going to be able to fix this balancing issue until they figure out a way to make JRPGS something other than resource management simulators, and doing that would risk pissing off the entire fanbase.

MMOs, on the other hand, are just plain evil. I mean, honestly now, some form of grinding or another is basically built right into the developer's business model.
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2007, 12:58 by Whipstitch »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up