THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 11:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Games We Hate  (Read 35579 times)

Scytale

Re: The Games We Hate
« Reply #50 on: 06 May 2007, 01:24 »

Well, enough on that then, any other games you hate, Scytale?

Hmm now you mention it I can't really stand Command and Conquer Generals.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #51 on: 06 May 2007, 07:18 »

You must be the only person in the world who went into the Icewind Dale series thinking it would be anything but a dungeon hack fest.

I don't really pat attention to games. I almost never read reviews, and I always buy games a year or two after they were first released because then they're very cheap. Like I said, I liked what little I'd seen of the original game, so I went for the closest I could get. When it comes to role-playing games there's generally far fewer to choose from than first-person shooters, or real-time strategy games. When you factor in the limitations of my laptop, the field is narrowed even further. Ultimately I was naive: I didn't believe that a group of people would voluntarily spend years of effort and a heap of money to create a great big pile of shit. I was wrong.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2007, 07:20 by Inlander »

Revenge of the Nerd

« Reply #52 on: 06 May 2007, 17:41 »

I'm going to go with the Civilization series. I hated these game with all my heart. The idea of having certain points to move is kinda stupid. It reminded me of a computer version of Risk. Which is okay because I don't like Risk either. Age of Empires I,II, and III are, without a doubt, much better in terms of game play and strategy. On that note Age of Empires: Mythology (or whatever it's called) was really, really bad.

Johnny Evilguy

« Reply #53 on: 06 May 2007, 17:48 »

I think there are only 3 people in the world who actually likes C & C generals and they all work for westwood studios...

ackblom12

« Reply #54 on: 06 May 2007, 19:16 »

Shut your goddamn mouth!

Westwood had nothing to do with Generals. They were dissolved after RA2 and Yuri were released.

I miss them so very much. :(

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #55 on: 08 May 2007, 17:51 »

Oh.  God.
Did anyone ever play Amazon Trail?  It's this really ghetto game that you have to play in 265 color mode.  I'm pretty sure it was just named in the dire hope that someone would mistake it for Oregon Trail.  It's even a misnomer- I mean, how is it even remotely a trail when you're going down the longest RIVER in the world with a CANOE and PADDLE? 
Basically, there is no plot, just a panther of some sort from the ancient past telling you to collect things for the Inca King, who is sick with malaria.  You, despite being his only hope, have an arduous journey.  There are too many ways to die even if you're a responsible gamer.  You can contract diseases for no real reason, "run" into the randomised ships that are impossible to avoid (causing you to contract dysentery at the same time), you can get shocked by an electric eel, and (my favorite) you can also get kidnapped totally out of the blue by a tribe of savage Indians.
Not a single aspect of the game is entertaining.  The only thing that brought a remote amount of joy was fishing, which gets old after you are saddled, because of the clumsy controls, with a log that you simply were nowhere near harpooning.  Everything else - meeting poorly animated and voiced historical figures, wasting all of your money on tents because you were forced to drop yours into the river by a passing capybera, even having to sit in the jungle to take a picture of a very poorly animated butterfly - was lackluster, even grating.
Why would the inca king need a river turtle anyway?

As far as I'm concerned, educational games jumped the shark at Number Cruncher.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #56 on: 12 Jun 2007, 14:08 »

What about Africa Trail and Yukon Trail?  I actually own Oregon Trail 3, although not on purpose.  It was a christmas present, and mildly entertaining the first few times.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #57 on: 12 Jun 2007, 14:15 »

If I remember correctly, Yukon Trail actually was a fun game.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #58 on: 12 Jun 2007, 14:31 »

I enjoyed Yukon Trail when I was a kid. I've always wanted to go back and play it again.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jun 2007, 14:49 »

I'm somewhat of a twitch gamer, I'll admit, so I found the length of time it takes to get into Morrowind to be a little too long for my liking, which is why I stopped playing after a few hours.  I'll give it another shot this summer, but that's one of the reasons I was much more immersed in Oblivion, was that it was a lot simpler to get involved with the game.  And with Morrowind, for some reason I didn't feel like we were allowed to stray too much from questing.  I just got kinda impatient with the whole thing and decided to play something else.  But seriously guys, this thread is derailed.  Pick up the pieces.

Got it, immediately downloaded the graphics enhancers and the unofficial patches.  I can now kind of see what McTaggart was talking about.  It is quite fun, but after playing Oblivion, feels kind of...dead.  No deer or butterflies, the soundtrack has one loop that doesn't really seem to fit with the ambience of the game.  The one cave I've been in so far had the same texture plastered on every surface save for the steps and was incredibly dark, even with a torch.  It's damn near impossible to see the fishes when they're attacking you.  And I'm still relatively annoyed at the map in Morrowind...they'd have several markers for the same city on the map, and you had to manually add dungeons and places of note to it.  And a lot of the architecture leaves little to the imagination (meaning that it's easier to get lost in the cities because most of the buildings look the same).

That being said, there seem to be a few more voice actors in it than Oblivion had (this was never a problem for me, though).  The people (although they don't talk as much) are much more...involved.  I do like the way they made you use landmarks for navigation...Oblivion tried this a couple times and it didn't work.  I had a horrendous time trying to find Dragonclaw Rock.  I like the random loot better (partially because it's completely random and not limited to calipers and tongs (which I need to collect for Shivering Isles, this guy'll give me money for it).  

It has a few things done better than Oblivion, that's for sure.  But when all the NPC's in the game act like they're neighbors spying on each other, it really detracts from the immersion.  If I gave Oblivion a 10, I'd give this an 8.25.  I'm going to keep playing it to see if it improves.

Yukon Trail:  Maybe for you, but I thought it was worse than Amazon Trail.  When you got tickets for the boat, there was a pointless calendar-pages-flipping sequence that may or may not have hidden load processes.  When  you're on the boat, you can't do anything outside of looking at your journal and/or restarting because the boat crashed.  When you got to actually hiking, you usually didn't make it very far, either.  Perhaps I'm just bitching about the obscene level of difficulty they threw upon millions of elementary school children, but I didn't enjoy it much.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #60 on: 12 Jun 2007, 16:58 »

I hate what Capcom did to Megaman. Megaman 2 was the best NES game in existence, and so I felt like I had a duty to be a fan of the entire series, but around 5 Capcom just broke my heart. I tried to keep liking the games, I really tried, but it was like being in an abusive relationship. Now it's hard for me to even think about those games, because of the emotional roller-coaster they represent.

rasufelle

« Reply #61 on: 12 Jun 2007, 17:00 »

I hate Halo.

Yes, it introduced the FPS to millions of people who bought the Xbox.  Yes, it was pretty.  But everything it had beyond graphics had been done better before.  Quake, Half-Life, Doom, these games really immerse you in the experience, a LOT better than Halo, and they don't have that annoying Warthog thing either.

I also hate sports titles, but mostly just 'cause I totally suck at them.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #62 on: 12 Jun 2007, 18:38 »

Megaman 3 was also really great, and the Megaman X series was pretty good from what I recall. Or at least, the games I played in it (X3 and X6, I think?) were.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #63 on: 13 Jun 2007, 12:37 »

I got the MMX Collection for PS2.

MMX1-4 are top notch, excellent games.

After that it goes downhill.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jun 2007, 13:35 »

I hate Elite Beat Agents. Well, that's not fair; I love the game itself. I just hate that 'Jumpin Jack Flash' is ridiculously hard. I refuse to believe that anyone who isn't enhanced by either cybernetics or drugs has beaten it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 13 Jun 2007, 14:32 »

Gran Turismo. How exactly has the most mind-numblingly boring series on the face of the earth managed to sell over 40 million copies?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #66 on: 13 Jun 2007, 14:43 »

Gran Turismo. How exactly has the most mind-numblingly boring series on the face of the earth managed to sell over 40 million copies?

yeah what the fuck is Gran Turismo? i have never understood it's appeal. blegh
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #67 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:42 »

Plain and simple:  Pac-man.  Any and all of them...

You have a fricken orange canibalizing other oranges with "Ghosts" chasing it around.  And why doesn't he grow bigger when he eats?  Why do people think the game is so damned addicting?

I'm off to go feed my Pac-Man addiction now...
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #68 on: 19 Jun 2007, 12:59 »

I feel the same way about Gran Turismo as I do about most racing games, and as I do about most sports games : they are extremely fucking boring. Especially team sports games. I have no reason or desire to play a game in which the main activity is something I could go outside and do.
Hate, rain on me

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #69 on: 19 Jun 2007, 13:08 »

I say exactly the same thing about FPSs.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #70 on: 19 Jun 2007, 13:35 »

So you can go out and blast aliens away with 200-pound assault rifles any ol' time?
Hate, rain on me

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #71 on: 19 Jun 2007, 14:02 »

The point is, if I want to play a racing game, I'll play something like Burnout or Mario Kart. Games that are... I don't know, more fun than the oh-so-exciting experience of driving a car.

Realistic sports games are much the same way, although I'll play them occasionally. Apparently the Wii version of Madden is actually pretty fun to play.

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #72 on: 19 Jun 2007, 15:47 »

I find Wii Madden to be frustrating a fucking hell. CASUAL MY ASS. I might as well be doing interpretive dance.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #73 on: 19 Jun 2007, 22:25 »

Realistic racing games are less about instant fun than taking pleasure in slowly getting better and better. If you're not the sort of person who'll spend four hours trying to shave .3 of a second off your best time then you're probably not gonna get as much out of it as some other people.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #74 on: 19 Jun 2007, 22:31 »

I don't mind realism in racing games as long as it FEELS like I'm going fast. Like Forza Motorsport, dunno about the second one, but the first did a good job in making me feel like I was actually driving a fucking sports car, not a goddamn box powered by a gerbil and it's running wheel attached to the running block.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #75 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:24 »

I'm tired of multi-platform releases.  It works between consoles, but it doesn't work so well with console and pc releases.  It just seems to me that games are simplified to cater to the console, and that gimps the pc release. 

I only had one gripe with Morrowind, and that was the combat system.  I could see the guys pores, and yet, I'm to not be able to hit the guy on three out of five attacks.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #76 on: 20 Jun 2007, 06:24 »

I think you missed the point of Painkiller. The point of Painkiller was speed runs and OH MY GOD THIS GUN PINS DUDES TO WALLS!
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #77 on: 20 Jun 2007, 09:17 »

You also forgot "HOLY FUCK THIS BOSS IS LIKE A MOUNTAIN".
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ackblom12

« Reply #78 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:22 »

Indeed, what other game do you start with what is practically a lethally modded weedwacker.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #79 on: 20 Jun 2007, 23:05 »

"HE'S JUST HUGE AND THE STAKES DO NOTHING"

Merkava

« Reply #80 on: 21 Jun 2007, 18:46 »

Xenosaga.

Xenogears is one of my favorite games, so you can imagine my disappointment upon playing Xenosaga. Obviously, it wasn't meant to be a true sequel/prequel, and I wasn't expecting such. I was expecting a playable game with interesting characters and an enjoyable plot. Unfortunately, I got this slow, extremely cheap battle system that, when in motion, is the equivalent of swimming through molasses. If I'm not having fun, I'm not going to stick around for the story. Of course, the story didn't strike me as that great, either. Nothing that occurred made inching through the drudgery of the battle system worth it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jun 2007, 20:30 »

If I remember correctly, Yukon Trail actually was a fun game.
It was, actually. There was river rafting and my favourite part was when you picked your site. If it was lucrative, like a dozen people would show up and pan straight gold from the river.

Maya Trail, now that was a shitty game. The plot was that an asteroid was going to hit Earth (!) unless you deciphered a bunch of clues in Mayan temples. You biked to each temple. And the temples were kind of like exploring in Myst, i.e. utterly dead. Then you could go in the temple and into a little D&D-style maze except there were no enemies ever. It was boring as shit and I couldn't figure out what to do so the world kept exploding.

öde

« Reply #82 on: 22 Jun 2007, 06:39 »

fething

Nerd.

I hate Wurm Online simply because it is almost perfectly what I want from the genre (reality sim) yet it fails on crucial points. Bascially, Wurm Online is a big world, populated by players that have gone out and made their own settlements, organisations, etc. There are no NPCs in the game except for merchants and monsters, everything in the game is player created and player run. This is awesome.

Unfortunately for me, it is extremely tedious. You have to dedicate a lot of time and effort to menial tasks to keep up what you've created, and somehow earn money to buy a deed and hire guards, etc. While this isn't too bad in a community, the tedium does get to you. The massive effort to do anything in the game is a huge put-off. On the other hand I suppose this is what makes the game realistic, slows down the development of the landscape to a manageable pace, and provides a bigger sense of accomplishment when you finally get something done.

What really screws up the game is the distinction between free players and people that pay to play. While a lot of the differences are fair, you can buy in game money cheaply, meaning free players have no chance unless they spend most of their time on the game.

Cenyu

« Reply #83 on: 23 Jun 2007, 12:35 »

A game which I did not hate but was rather immensely disappointed in: Black and White.

It had been pretty hyped before its release and I immediately bought it. The thing is I can't even remember why I did not even finish the third island. I just was not motivated to spend more than a few hours with the game. Six to seven years later it is kinda puzzling now that I think about it. I bought it, installed it, played it two or three days, ejected the CD and forgot about the game. And I can't even remember what exactly bothered me about B&W.

On the ongoing Halflife 2 discussion:
I did not like HL2 terribly much mainly for its lack of a proper story (in my eyes). I have witnessed year-long debates about the implications and nature of the story in gamers' forums and yeah, I find myself asking: What did I actually accomplish, who did I fight against actually...? The whole game is experienced from Gordon Freeman's perspective with no cutscenes transcending his personal viewpoint and giving away information to the player. Some might like this feature, I did not. I didn't know what was going on and GF's unnatural silence throughout the game was unnecessary and didn't help me to enjoy the game. For me HL2 was not very exciting and to be honest the gameplay was not that smooth, too.

xero

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 30 Jun 2007, 20:57 »

I'm tired of multi-platform releases.  It works between consoles, but it doesn't work so well with console and pc releases.  It just seems to me that games are simplified to cater to the console, and that gimps the pc release.
Seconded. Unfortunately I think it's pretty safe to say that barring some unforeseen turn of events, the PC gaming market is slowly dying, being replaced by the console market. Don't believe me? Check out the PC games section of your nearest Best Buy. Four years ago, the PC games section took up a quarter of the whole store. Two years ago, it took up two racks (front and back) in the middle of the Home Computing section (but I'm not counting the budget/youth/educational titles that no self-respecting gamer would purchase, like "ABC Turtle Teaches Spelling" and your "Bratz: Do-It-Yourself Brazilian Waxing for Young Girls" games). A year ago, the gaming section took up one rack (front and back). Last time I went in there, about a month ago, I was looking at half of one side of one rack. The console games section has had the inverse development.

I only had one gripe with Morrowind, and that was the combat system.  I could see the guys pores, and yet, I'm to not be able to hit the guy on three out of five attacks.

Try 49 times out of 50. The numbers-based combat and magic in Morrowind originally put me off of the game entirely, but luckily a friend of mine convinced me to give it a second shot. Once you get past the first few levels of your weapon of choice (and for this, the mudcrabs and rats are perfect), combat becomes much easier and less frustrating. I never did get the hang of the magic system though, aside from enchanting weapons. Still, Morrowind (and its expansions) was, for three years, my favorite video game ever, until Oblivion came out.

Now I can't honestly say that Oblivion replaced Morrowind for the #1 spot... It's not a horrible game (once you mod it up to fix the broken leveling system, the bad LOD, and some of the "well duh" glitches and missing features) but I still wouldn't call it my favorite game, by any sense of the word.

The reason Morrowind stopped being my favorite game after Oblivion is because after Oblivion, Morrowind felt downright unplayable. The problem with playing a next-generation sequel to a great game is that all the limitations and flaws that were barely noticeable before suddenly stop being so easy to miss. The characters in Morrowind ceased to be slightly-pixelated, poorly-proportioned, oddly-behaving people in my eyes, and instead became poorly-rendered, poorly-designed, poorly-scripted cardboard cutouts. The game-stopping glitches and crashes to desktop became downright unacceptable. AI scripting and bot-pathing became glaringly clunky. The interface, which I still think was far better implemented than the Oblivion one, suddenly started screaming "OBSOLETE!" at me every time I tried to use it. The enchantment system stopped being so familiar. And so many other things. Oblivion took away my ability to enjoy Morrowind.

Thankfully, Oblivion is not entirely a lost cause. There's a lot you can do to improve things with mods. With the right ones installed, you can pretty much turn the game into a true successor to Morrowind. But you can't fix the goofy AI. You can't fix the boring, generic-fantasy scenery. You can't fix the voice-acting problems. And you can't bring back the giant mushroom trees looming overhead, the "tap-a-tap-a-tap-a" of a nearby squib, the mating calls of the netch off in the distance, or the raspy Ashlanders urging you to "make it quick, n'wah!" It's just never going to be the same.

I loved Shivering Isles, by the way. Even if the rest of it was horrible (and it wasn't), the return of the giant mushroom trees made it worth the $30.

Oh, yeah, games I hate:

Lionheart promised to be an intelligent, deep RPG with one foot firmly rooted in medieval history, and the other in classic fantasy. Instead it was... half of a just-barely-decent game. Where was the other half? I don't know. I bought it on release day for the full $50, and a month later it was in the bargain bin for $9.99.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2007, 21:00 by xero »

rasufelle

« Reply #85 on: 30 Jun 2007, 21:26 »

Off topic, but concerning Morrowind vs. Oblivion:

Since both titles used essentially the same editor to build (The Elder Scrolls Construction Kit), wouldn't it be possible to, with a little- okay, a lot- of work to convert the entirety of Morrowind over to what would amount to an Oblivion expansion?  I mean, Morrowind has the BB mod, as well as numerous HD texture packs, so with some more effort and maybe a good month spent relabeling the coordinates of every last map square in the entire game, you could take the enhanced Morrowind features, update them to Oblivion level, and balance out the interfaces?  People have done massive amounts on both within the modding community already, and this has struck me as the next logical step since seeing Oblivion release.  Come to think of it, I've always wondered why neither Daggerfall, Arena, nor Battlespire were ever recreated within Morrowind beyond the dedication of time.

Of course, this is coming from someone who wants to get familiar enough with TESCS to recreate the entirety of A Link to the Past in their Morrowind file...

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #86 on: 30 Jun 2007, 22:27 »

A) Because of possible copyright violations that that would construe, and
B) Because that's a shit-ton of work for someone who's probably not going to get paid and as a consequence of A) might even be blacklisted in the professional development community.  Even as a group effort, that is going to take a very long time to do (seeing as morrowind files do not work with oblivion, everything would essentially have to be copied by hand), and I doubt anyone is going to want to incur a lawsuit.  If it does happen it'll probably be court-ordered to cease a la Ocarina of Time 2D.

xero

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #87 on: 30 Jun 2007, 22:36 »

What he said.

Not to mention that with the older games, format doesn't allow for porting: Most of Daggerfall's geography was generated randomly, for a truly immense game world. Morrowind doesn't support that. Also, in porting one game to another, you'd have to recode the game's script, during which time you'll inevitably face old behaviors that are no longer supported, or new behaviors that you'd like to add in. Repeat that cycle a few times, and pretty soon you're looking at a completely changed product, with just the setting remaining the same. At which point you realize that "wait, someone's already been working on that for a long while!"

ShinGetterPoPo

« Reply #88 on: 30 Jun 2007, 22:57 »

I really freaking hate God of War 2. The game pissed me off because I'd just start getting into killing a group of enemies and then they'd be gone and it'd be time for a puzzle.  I'd just start enjoying the puzzle and it would end. It ended up frustrating not because of difficulty, but because of the fact that everything was cut before it would start being enjoyable.
Made me sad because I had such high hopes for it after the first one.

HellPuppi

« Reply #89 on: 03 Jul 2007, 01:07 »

Morrowind, Oblivion: I didn't like either of them. I mean I had some fun playing them, but then I'd pick up a quest that I HAD to get through that wasn't right for my lvl, or I'd find myself standing in a city and not knowing what to do. Awesome concepts, I just wish they were better.

Black and White 2: again awesome concept. Spent hours playing it and got pissed off. it was just too tedious to try to balance doing 80 billion things at once and keep everyone happy.

Animal crossing for the ds: I love it and I hate it. I hate it because I shouldn't like it, but I do. It appeals to my OCD side.

Baggy

« Reply #90 on: 01 Aug 2007, 12:15 »

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time - Which you'll be playing til the end of time.  It's not so much that I hated it, but more along the lines of I enjoyed it for the first half or so, then started to wonder if I was near the end, then I wasn't, I wasn't even halfway through like I thought I was.  The game was faaaaar to long.  I like a good meaty RPG, one that can keep me entertained without opening my wallet for a month or so for another game, but not that long.  I don't think I ever beat it.  I have no desire to try.  There is no light at the end of the tunnel.  Just an endless tunnel, til the end of time.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #91 on: 02 Aug 2007, 00:51 »

I remember deriving enjoyment out of playing Amazon Trail for hours at a time.  I was a terribly deprived child.

Kana

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 02 Aug 2007, 04:48 »

Myst/Riven: I'm all for thinking/puzzle games and granted its age/time of creation I'm willing to give it a little lee-way (spelling?), but after wasting away what had to be well over a week on each game at their given time I always just got sick of them both.  So before uninstalling I found out how to get to the ending real fast and see this grand finale that was so hyped up.

Black & White 2: BW1 was great, it needed some fixes and extra things added and thats just what I hoped BW2 would be.  Don't get me wrong I played BW2 all the way through, but about the time of the 2nd Japanese land it got realllllly boring/redundant really fast.  Especially if you were being a 'good/softy' god.  The experience was at least more fun being evil.  Nothing like having an overpopulated city and picking up all the residents of the local nursery and throwing them as hard as possible with your mouse right into your defensive WALL.  :evil:

Lineage 2: I've played FFXI and WoW, now playing LoTR:O.  When I tried this game out I gave it a good 3 weeks before wanting to call up PlayNC and yell at them.

Guild Wars: L2's little/big brother.  Fun game to play, but playability quickly quickly diminishes.  Get to Searing, check.  Get to 20, check.  Get Ascended, check. Do quests to unlock all subjobs, check.  Now what?  New expansion.  Get Ascended, check.  All subjobs given for FREE?! Beautiful game and I still play it every once and a while, but most RPGs that I really enjoy have a ton of replayability.  Short of deleting my chars every week and starting all over, GW didn't do it for me.

Half Life 2: After reading this thread, I must be the only guy who's either a pansy or too honest to admit that Doom 3 scared the living shit out of me.  A friend told me HL2 was even more of a fear kind of game so I tried it out.  Beat it so horribly fast on the starting difficulty and the story was such that I didn't care to go back through on a harder one.  Also, while people want to say the story line is episodic and why thats ok theres cliffhangers - I have no problem with that.  I have a problem with shelling out cash for each episode which is so pathetically short that it barely seemed to constitute half a 'chapter' in the story.  On the other hand I can't wait for Team Fortress 2 to come out on the same engine.

Fear: Wasn't scary and it felt like a rip off combination of bad pop horror movies and old classic fps shoot 'em up games.

I'm sure there's more games but its a long list already.  Also I have oblivion as well as a ton of mods installed to alter different things.  Its a fun game to load and just wander about in, wait for night and sneak into a shop and kill the owner and fence the stuff.  But as far as going all the way with the story line and grinding in the game I just never felt inclined. 

To balance it out games that aren't bad at least right now.  Enemy Territory: Quake Wars (Beta 1 right now, but Beta 2 next week woo!) good deal of fun and super fast action, Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, just starting really, but fun so far - Diablo 2 loved it and finally put it to rest after however many years.

In any case I don't get to play the games that often, so I get quite picky/choosey on which ones get to take up my precious time.  :-D

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #93 on: 02 Aug 2007, 19:40 »

The thing with games like Doom and F.E.A.R. is that since they're marketed as scary, they do everything possible to make it scary.  With me, I was expecting it to be scary and thus moved slowly looking in every nook and cranny twice, which ended up having me far less surprised than they probably intended.  Something about headcrabs jumping at my face I just found to be scarier.  My two cents on the whole scary in games bit.

Cenyu

« Reply #94 on: 05 Aug 2007, 09:14 »

F.E.A.R. lacked the following two elements:

Variety (office, warehouse, office, vent, warehouse, warehouse, vent, office, office, office) - a real outdoor or urban episode instead of the indoor levels would have been much appreciated. Oh, and more kinds of enemies.

An exciting end fight - to be precise the end was totally anti-climactic. I hate games where I can't spend my dearly saved ammunition on the last boss in a gigantic battle.

The story itself was okay but I would have liked more proper cutscenes, maybe from a more omniscient perspective than the protagonist, in addition to the phone calls, flashbacks and dream sequences. Same problem like HL2 for me personally - it is not difficult to miss details of the story.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #95 on: 05 Aug 2007, 10:05 »

Not telling cutscenes outside of Freeman's perspective was a conscious decision by the developers, who had it well within their powers to do otherwise. I respect their choice, really. I gather it's the same idea with F.E.A.R.

To an extent it's like a book or film which never leaves the perspective of the protagonist - like everything but the last five minutes of Rear Window, for example.

Cenyu

« Reply #96 on: 06 Aug 2007, 01:01 »

I know, it's just my personal preference, really.

Lotus

« Reply #97 on: 10 Aug 2007, 11:18 »

Fuzion Frenzy 2. 
Now, the first Fuzion Frenzy is in no way an amazing game, but it's hilarious to play.  Imagine Mario Party with only mini games, and instead of collecting stars you collect orbs.  Insert embarrassing dialogue and you have a game worth playing because it's funny.
Fuzion Frenzy 2 did away with orbs, and the dialogue.  It was lame.  I hate that game.

Wyvernhand

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 10 Aug 2007, 21:12 »

I'm gonna have to go with Vanguard: Saga of Heros.  For a game that had almost infinite potential, that game really blew.  First, it suffered all of the lag issues that accompany the new release of an MMO, except they never got better.  Then they completely pigeonholed all of the archtypes classes, and even the more they gimped the hybred classes so much that no one ever wanted to group with them.  The crafting system had potential, until they adjusted the frequency of rare materials and the experience gain down to the point where gaining a crafting level between 30-40 took a week or so each, and 40-50 took about 2 weeks per level.  And that's if you only hardcore grind work orders, which gives you little money and a very slight chance of getting rare materials.

One of the draws of the game was to make a world so big, you had to spend weeks in an area just to explore everything.  Except there was nothing worth exploring.  You'd spend a whole evening running across the world to get to a far corner, only to find out that the devs hadn't populated it with mobs yet.  Or worse, there were huge unbeatable mobs that 1 shot you with a glance.  Mobs that don't have loot tables either, so even if you did manage to beat one, it was worth nothing, not even cash or vendor drops.  So instead, everyone just ran around in the same areas, which without instancing, means you'd have multiple groups down in a dungeon area either racing for bosses or trying to train mobs onto the other group.  Another thing that they went and did is introduce teleporters all over, that make crossing the huge amazing world now take seconds, so you never get a real attachment to any one place.  It also trivialized the sale of boats, which were intended to be player made transporation on the oceans and rivers, but ended up mostly being status symbols because of their rediculously high costs.  Also, the caravan travel system (where you can log out with your guildmates, and log back on near them regardless of where they've moved to) still hasn't been implimented.  That was one of the features they promised from the early start.

Vanguard also was supposed to have a really slow leveling system, which is mostly fine, except then they went about having double xp weekends for adventuring, and regularly increasing xp from mobs until you could gain about a level a night even at high levels, up to WoW standards.  While the adventurers were power leveling, the crafters were not, falling further and further behind, until the primary purpose of even the most dedicated crafters was to create twink gear for high level adventurers alt characters. Imagine investing 1000+ hours only to have the only reward for the work to make mediochre gear for peoples alt characters.  Sigil origionally promised the best gear in the game would be crafted, or crafting augemented.  To my knowledge, this still hasen't been included (and probably won't ever be) making the highest level craftable gear around level 45 (for level 50 characters) while the highest dropped gear is around level 55 (useable by level 50 characters becaue of janky equipment expertese system)

I'm not even going to go into the whole SOE hostile takeover part of Sigil Games and the firing of the lead developement team.  Last time I was on (almost 6 month now) they hadn't patched since the time before (almost 12 months now).  Almost everyone online I talked to were just killing time before their account ran out.  Also, gold seller bots were rampant, and entire server economies were permanantly ruined.

As I said, what had potential as an amazingly in depth and vast game ended up being a pipe dream to thousands of MMO gamers looking for a WoW alternative, and a major let down.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #99 on: 10 Aug 2007, 23:53 »

Man. Registering just to rant about a mediocre MMO.

Still, that does sound pretty abysmal. I wish there would be an MMO that respected crafters and traders as much as adventurers.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up