THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Sleepy-Time Music  (Read 12334 times)

Kelema

Favorite Sleepy-Time Music
« on: 22 Apr 2007, 18:57 »

Hey Y'all,
I'm making some themed mixtapes for a friend of mine, one of which is going to consist of mellow, sleepy-time music.
I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for good relaxing music.
I've got the obvious choices on here so far...but I figured here was one of the best places to find some unique tracks to make my mix as multi-dimensional as possible (lets face it, 20 radiohead songs just won't cut it).
Thanks!

samoasneoartform

Re: Favorite Sleepy-Time Music
« Reply #1 on: 22 Apr 2007, 19:07 »

oh thats easy.

Jose' Gonzalez

just listen to anything by him when you're falling asleep and you'll go to sleep quickly and have lovely dreams

not saying that he is boring either, you fall asleep because its quiet and mellow and beautiful.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2007, 19:08 »

Check out:

Monster Movie - '4th And Pine' / 'Shortwave'
Slowdive - 'Machine Gun'
Conjure One - 'Sleep'

(Separated those off 'cos I always listen to 'em late at night meself. If you ignore everything below this line, grab 'em ;))

Thievery Corporation - 'Le Monde' / 'Lebanese Blonde' (For some reason the French version of the latter sounds better but the lyrics are awesome so get the regular version first, so you can understand 'em...)
Deep Forest - Night Bird
Ofra Haza - Im Nin'alu
Massive Attack - Dissolved Girl
Orbital - Halcyon & On & On
Iron & Wine - Naked As We Came
Porcupine Tree - 'Stop Swimming' / 'Don't Hate Me' / 'Heart Attack In A Lay-by' / 'Feel So Low'

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2007, 20:16 »

I wouldn't really say "Naked As We Came" is a nice song to fall asleep to, but i guess you can.

Anything by Explosions in the Sky.  Andy McKee writes some amazing acoustic music.  "Coffee" by Copeland (ironically) has a very distinct mood to it, well, to me.  It's kind of relaxed, and it makes me feel all warm inside, like i just had some good coffee and uhm...*stopping before i get carried away with sappiness*.  Anywho, i'm weird, so when i got to sleep, i like to listen to stuff that makes me happy.  So basically anything that is sappy.  Piano songs work well.  "You Are the Moon" by The Hush Sound is a very nice track.

Lately i've been listening to JamisonParker's Sleepwalker album when i go to sleep.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2007, 20:26 »

Mogwai
Do Make Say Think
Explosions in the Sky
Sigur Ros
The Album Leaf
Amiina
Bell Orchestre
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Philip Glass
Tape
The Notwist
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2007, 20:42 »

Adding to Matt's list, you should probably consider giving Mono a try...
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Splunkle

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2007, 20:48 »

Well, to start with, a lot stuff from Kahvi.org would work well, methinks.  Apart from that, let see...

Aphex Twin - Xtal (If you have only heard come to daddy and are worried this is a joke, its not.  This is back when he did ambient stuff)
Ilaria Graziano - Where does the Ocean go?  (This is from the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OST 1)

Oh! Xerxes' album The Mirror Formula!  You can grab it here, though I suppose you only want tracks, not a whole album... hmmm.  I would think that track 5, angelina is probably best for sleeping.  Boards of Canada probably have some good stuff for sleeping too, but I'm not so familar with their stuff to name songs of the top of my head.  

Dangit.  Thats all I got for now.  Sorry I couldn't be more specific with the names. ^_^

EDIT (because I am a slow, slow poster): I would think that Explosions in the sky would be a little too excited to fall asleep too.  But if thats what we are looking at in terms of energy, I'm going to add M83 - Lower Your Eyelids to Die With the Sun. 

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2007, 20:51 »

M83
Air
Bonny Prince Billy
Cyann & Ben (I can't pretend anymore)
Low (Things we lost in the fire)
If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2007, 21:01 »

I don't really like to sleep with music on often, but when I do I invariably listen to Mogwai's "4 Satin EP". It's just under 20 minutes long, I think -- just the right length of time for me to nod off. The last track ends in a long segment of white noise, which I find very relaxing at a low volume.

tacroy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2007, 21:41 »

Last night while I was falling asleep, the song of choice was "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac.  An old classic, and it worked well.  Personally, I think the most recent (live) version is the best.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2007, 22:42 »

Dude, Nadja. Get Bodycage, and give Clinodactyl a listen. Like MBV stretched out heaps.

Also, Sigur Ros, Angelic Process, even Drudkh.

I tried Khanate once, just to see what would happen. Bad, bad idea.

Scytale

« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2007, 23:53 »

I listen to music when I sleep fairly regularly.

I've been listening to "A Fine Day to Exit" by Anathema a lot lately
"Hli?skj?lf"  by Burzum is a good one, I also sleep to "Filosofem"
"Worship Him" by Samael works pretty well because its all pretty low tempo stuff
"Moon in the Scorpio" by Limbonic Art works pretty well.

I'll second Drudkh, "Autumn Aurora" would be my pick

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2007, 02:34 »

Mogwai
Do Make Say Think
Explosions in the Sky
Sigur Ros
The Album Leaf
Amiina
Bell Orchestre
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Philip Glass
Tape
The Notwist

What Matt said plus:
Iron and Wine
I am Robot and Proud
Elliott Smith
and Eric Whitacre's a capella pieces
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2007, 07:49 »

Did anybody say Brian Eno's Ambient albums or anything by Boards of Canada yet?? Because yeah.

Zetsu

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:05 »

I really like to listen to Dirt by Alice in Chains when I feel like falling asleep to music. :)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:12 »

I thought this was a thread about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:21 »

I've had 5 albums on rotation lately.

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun and Takk... (my two go-tos for sleeping)
Elliott Smith - XO and Either/Or

And whatever the hell the new A Sunny Day in Glasgow album is (good suggestion, Adam. It works quite well).
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #17 on: 23 Apr 2007, 08:23 »

Ulver- Perdition City
Porcupine Tree
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #18 on: 23 Apr 2007, 14:25 »

Well, of course there's "Asleep" by The Smiths...

Yoko Kanno (off the Cowboy Bebop sountrack, I believe) - "Space Lion" ... guaranteed to relax you antime, anywhere (here you are)

albums:
Stina Nordenstam's And She Closed Her Eyes

Cowboy Junkies' The Trinity Session ... it's all at such slow tempos

The Blue Nile's Hats

Denison Witmer's Are You A Dreamer? (I'm pretty sure he's working on an album/collection titled something like "Songs to Fall Sleep To")

Katatonia's Last Fair Deal Gone Down (one of the few metal album's I've been introduced to...slow and consistant...doom metal? do I have that one right?)
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2007, 14:32 by jimbunny »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #19 on: 23 Apr 2007, 14:32 »

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines. It's lovely to nod off to with a warm milk drink.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2007, 14:44 »

Mezzotint by Chris Herbert, tommy reccomended this album once, it is fantastic. Possibly only second to Music For Airports
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2007, 15:19 »

Yeah, Matt pretty much aced this thread.

I really dig this style of music; the whole post-rock / instrumental / ambiant genre really works for me.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2007, 16:03 »

I can't really agree with Explosions in the Sky or Do Make Say Think being relaxing bands. Same with Mogwai in many cases. Their music gets very loud, very intense, and very driving. Not something I would relax too. For music that is verrrrrry relaxing (the kind of music you can sink into sleep to) I would recommend anything by the brilliant 'Stars of the Lid' or 'Eluvium' both of which are wonderful and ambient and glacial in a really good way. Tim Hecker and Max Richter are also good choices for music that will really make you relax and calm down. All very good stuff.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2007, 18:12 »

Yeah, Matt pretty much aced this thread.

I really dig this style of music; the whole post-rock / instrumental / ambiant genre really works for me.

It's also fantastic music for writers and people who stay up too damn late/sleep too little, two categories I find myself in. I can't tell you the number of times I found myself listening to Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Volume II while trying to finish a column for my college paper.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2007, 18:16 »

-Mogwai, as mentioned before (although Mr.Beast has enough loud tracks to keep you awake)
-Death Cab For Cutie
-Orba Squara (MySpace 'em)
-Minus The Bear (especially Interpretaciones Del Oso)
-The Postal Service
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

samoasneoartform

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2007, 18:55 »

M83
Air
Bonny Prince Billy
Cyann & Ben (I can't pretend anymore)
Low (Things we lost in the fire)

bonnie prince is great to fall asleep to.

kablaaamo

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2007, 20:27 »

I really like Broken Social Scene's instrumental album Feel Good Lost for sleeping to. Also, Patrick Watson. Also, I second pretty much everything already listed in this thread that is similarly atmospheric and soft.

(That's what I'd suggest for others. My own sleeping music depends on my mood...and for a couple of years my favourites for snoozing were Sleater-Kinney and the Hives, later Wolf Parade. I don't necessarily recommend that.)
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2007, 20:31 by kablaaamo »

Will

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2007, 20:51 »

Ooh, Denison Witmer for the win! I haven't listened to him in ages, but he is excellent for sleepytime. Or just for 'chill out and sip the warmed beverage of your choice' time.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2007, 22:11 »

-Mogwai, as mentioned before (although Mr.Beast has enough loud tracks to keep you awake)
-Death Cab For Cutie
-The Postal Service

I would agree with Death Cab and The Postal Service.  I haven't heard that Minus the Bear album, but i wouldn't recommend their Menos El Oso album.

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2007, 22:32 »

Joanna Newson-YS
Cat Power-Moon Pix
Broken Social Scene- You Forgot it in People
The Album Leaf- In a Safe Place
Iron and Wine- Our Endless Numbered Days
Eluvium-Talk Amongst The Trees
Animal Collective- Feels(!!!!!!)
Damien Rice-9
Mum-Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is Ok
Xiu Xiu- La Foret

I don't know it's weird, outside of those cd's theres not really anything I can fall asleep too. It's not even really that theyre all mellow, the cd just has to feel like Nighttime to me. (I dont understand why Animal Collective is like that for me, but I think Banshee Beat is the most amazing song to fall asleep to ever.)

CmonMiracle

« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2007, 23:20 »

Definitely throw some Mum on there.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2007, 14:18 »

Xiu Xiu- La Foret

The first five I agree with although I would definetly change that BSS album to "Feel Good Lost" which is a truly wonderful album. But I'm not sure I see how Xiu Xiu fits the bill. I personally find them very intense, jarring, and emotionally disturbing lyrically. For me anyway, none of those things are conduscive to sleep. Xiu Xiu is great but I think of them more as 'stay up really late and scare the shit out of yourself' music than 'sleepy-time' music.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2007, 19:37 »

Joanna Newson-YS
Cat Power-Moon Pix
Animal Collective- Feels(!!!!!!)
Damien Rice-9
Xiu Xiu- La Foret

I don't know it's weird, outside of those cd's theres not really anything I can fall asleep too. It's not even really that theyre all mellow, the cd just has to feel like Nighttime to me. (I dont understand why Animal Collective is like that for me, but I think Banshee Beat is the most amazing song to fall asleep to ever.)

Other than Xiu Xiu, those make a lot of sense to me, particularly Animal Collective. They're the sort of band who are fantastic to listen to in an altered state, whether it be stoned or in that state between waking life and sleep. Although I think overall Sung Tongs is a better fit for sleep music because it's more acoustic and calm, whereas Feels has those bits of noise or screaming that jarr me awake. Oh and 'Visiting Friends' is mesmerizing to fall asleep ti.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #33 on: 24 Apr 2007, 19:50 »

When I want mellow, sleepy music, sometimes I put on Tool, Fiona Apple and Evanescence.

Oddly enough, I've fallen asleep listening to System of a Down and Adema while wearing headphones, on a very high volume. It's the drums I think.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

eveisdawning

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #34 on: 24 Apr 2007, 19:54 »

I heartily agree with Broken Social Scene and The Album Leaf and Eluvium (who are all amazing). To add some non-recent stuff, I sometimes fall asleep to old jazz music, specifically Billie Holiday. I'm talking the quieter stuff here, like "Gloomy Sunday." Her voice is soothing. I like it. Feist is also not too bad to sleep to, although some songs can be a bit jarring (you have to kind of pick and choose). Same with Kaki King--some stuff is sleeping material, other songs, not so much.
Without music, life would be a mistake. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #35 on: 24 Apr 2007, 20:14 »

-Death Cab For Cutie
-The Postal Service

I would agree with Death Cab and The Postal Service.  I haven't heard that Minus the Bear album, but i wouldn't recommend their Menos El Oso album.

Menos El Oso is a bit loud, I agree: Interpretaciones Del Oso is a remix album by various artists, and is quite a bit quieter/instrumental than the original album.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #36 on: 24 Apr 2007, 21:13 »

Yeah I don't know what it is about that Xiu Xiu cd, I think its just cause the first cd is the most minamilistic quiet song ever.

Felix_

« Reply #37 on: 24 Apr 2007, 23:20 »

My fave sleepy-time type of music is probably stuff like Skepticism, Thergothen, Saxon Shore, Slowdive, In Gowan Ring, The Protagonist, and a few others.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2007, 00:38 »

for me i listen to either post-rock (see above posts) or stoner doom

quite frankly there's nothing like listening to dopesmoker by sleep the whole way through as you go to bed
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2007, 00:57 »

Well everyone's suggested just about all I woud reccomend. I don't think I saw Kings of convenience in there, really chilled Norwegian stuff. Also Cat Power will always give you a nice entry to pleasant dreams. I'm a little obsessed with the Hayden song "Dynamite Walls" at the moment. Check them out.

Will

« Reply #40 on: 25 Apr 2007, 07:42 »

Anything off of the 'Bitches Brew' sessions by Miles Davis is good...

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Apr 2007, 15:12 »

DJ Shadow.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #42 on: 28 Apr 2007, 15:59 »

I second:
Elliot Smith
Explosions In The Sky
Mogwi
Iron And Wine

I also think Calculation Theme by Metric is a rather good song to fall asleep too. And some Postal Service stuff. Way back in the day I used to listen to a certain Death Cab album to fall asleep. I had a mix cd with The Arcade Fire's Tunnels, Andrew Bird's Lull, Black Eyes' On the Sacred Side, and Nancy Sinatra's Bang Bang on it, and that cd always did a good job of knocking me out.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #43 on: 28 Apr 2007, 16:55 »

I actually have a "sleep" playlist on itunes because its what i listen to before i sleep.

It goes as follows.

Goodbye Head - Trey Anastasio
Dead Metheny - GYBE
In and out of Dreaming - Gabby Lala
Auto Rock - Mogwai
Hot Chicks Love Chocolates (i think one of my mates changed the name of that track)- Jay Terrien
Cigarette - Ben Folds
Billy Breathes - Phish
Swept Away - Phish (its important that those last two tracks go together)

As you can see it takes mea while to get to sleep.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #44 on: 29 Apr 2007, 15:22 »

"Sleepytime Time" - Cream

Oh wait, it's just about being lazy, it's not really lullabye-type music. However, there are several pieces I can name that might help:

"Parade" by Leo Kottke
In fact, most of the album Peculiaroso by Leo Kottke
Anything by Pavement ever
I'll be the 50th person to repeat Sigur Ros
"Melissa" - The Allman Brothers Band
"Memory" - The Seatbelts (if you've heard it, it should be obvious to you)
"Hey" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"The Gold Finch and the Red Oak Tree" - Ted Leo and the Pharmacists
"Jazzman" - Pure Prairie League

Hope these are helpful.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

faustian.spirit

« Reply #45 on: 29 Apr 2007, 15:55 »

The whole "Moon in the scorpio" Album by Limbonic Art.

This is not mellow music.

This is symphonic black metal gone a little over-key-board, but without compromising on (electronic) drum speed, but avoiding any hectic feel to the music (unlike their later works).

This is so hypnotic it tends to JATO you into a deep meditation state with or against your will if you listen to it on headphones lying down.

Also try, for a far mellower approach : early "The 3rd and the mortal" works ("Tears laid in Earth" and "Nightswan").

Also: Mandylion by the Gathering

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #46 on: 29 Apr 2007, 17:06 »

I just thought of something else! Joanna Newsom's Milk Eyed Mender is great to fall asleep to. It's all kinds of soothing, and give you some interesting stories to think about as you drift off to sleep.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?
Pages: [1]   Go Up