THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arch Enemy  (Read 4909 times)

Latnemele

Arch Enemy
« on: 28 Apr 2007, 02:56 »

Did a search for an Arch Enemy topic and could not find any, found alot of metal topics
but none for them.  Hope I am not pushing it by starting one.

So have not had a chance to see them on tour but collect alot of thier CD's and find
them to be a great band.  I like the CD Doomsday Machine the best so far. Anyone else?

Scytale

Re: Arch Enemy
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2007, 03:00 »

I don't mind them,

Burning Bridges and Wages of Sin are my favourties.

Michael Amott is a great guitarist, you should check out the albums he did with Carcass (Especially Heartwork) if you haven't already.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2007, 05:43 »

i will not commit anything contructive to this topic
instead i will say

DAMN THAT CHICK IS HOT
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2007, 08:19 »

I'm definitely not a fan.  Wages of Sin isn't necessarily a bad record but it's almost painfully derivative.  As mentioned earlier, Heartwork by Carcass is much better than anything Arch Enemy has recently released, though I can't speak for the quality of pre-Angela Gossow material as I haven't heard it.

For my money there's much better melodeath out there.

epifreak

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:08 »

As Wages of Sin was my introduction to the death metal genre, I'm kind-of required to like the band. I'll admit they're hardly doing anything unheard of, but every once in awhile, I just want to listen to guitar wankerdom. Arch Enemy pretty much fills that role for me.

As for the pre-Angela era, I'd definitely recommend listening to a few tracks before buying into it. There's some amazing music there, but Jondur's voice is a bit of an acquired taste, and the guitar work isn't up to the quality standard that's been present in the last few albums.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:34 »

Funny story...I got into death metal by downloading an Arch Enemy song that was labeled as Metallica on Kazaa.  It was Burning Angel, from Wages of Sin. 

Having listened to every album, I have to say that I much prefer anything Wages of Sin or earlier.  For guitar wankery, The Immortal beats out anything else they've written (because Kill With Power is a Manowar cover).  Cosmic Retribution actually had an acoustic solo instead of a normal one.  Black Earth had what was probably the best drumming Daniel Erlandsson has ever done with the band.  I'm not against Angela's presence at all, because she can cover those songs well so they'll still play them occasionally at their shows, but since her involvement, their music has been steadily getting less interesting to me.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2007, 09:55 »

I don't like them tbh, I don't enjoy the vocal stly at all.

Plus such a small woman making such a noise scares the crap out of me.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

epifreak

« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:06 »

For guitar wankery, The Immortal beats out anything else they've written

For me it's Enemy Within. I know it's not the craziest playing they've ever done, but it's the most fun to listen to IMO.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:32 »

For guitar wankery, The Immortal beats out anything else they've written

For me it's Enemy Within. I know it's not the craziest playing they've ever done, but it's the most fun to listen to IMO.

That one's actually a tough call, if you haven't seen how it's played.  As it turns out, it's actually a pretty easy piece to play, as it goes.  I still would've picked The Immortal for having a minute-long plus solo.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

epifreak

« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2007, 10:39 »

I have seen how it's played. I know it's hardly the most technical piece they've done, but like you said, if you don't know how to play it....

The intro riff uses a strategy I actually use a lot, where the open notes trick the ear into thinking the line is moving much more than it is. Done right, it can sound phenomenal and triple the notes you play for every fretted note simultaneously.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2007, 13:45 »

Arch Enemy is a fun, if not amazing, death metal band. I think that Burning Bridges has the best overall guitar work, both in terms of leads and riffs, but I like Gossow's vocals better so I would say that Wages of Sin and Burning Bridges are in a tie for my favorite album of theirs.

They put on a fantastic live show, if you get the chance to see them. If it weren't for Megadeth's absolutely mindblowing two-hour set and the fact that they didn't play anything pre-Wages, they would have been my favorite part of Gigantour. Ravenous made the fucking walls shake.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scytale

« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2007, 23:30 »

I agree with most people here Arch Enemy aren't the greatest Melo-Death band around but they are listenable enough.

Daniel Erlandsson played in Eucharist and their 2 albums are fucking amazing, "A Velvet Creation" is my favourite, one of the most overlooked Gothenberg bands IMO.

Other really good melo-death albums, you should check out if you haven't already:

Dawn  - Slaughtersun
Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
Dissection - The Somberlain
Earth - Star Condemn'd
Sentenced - North From Here
Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2007, 02:27 »

You fail on three counts sir:

One: No Edge of Sanity (Purgatory Afterglow or Crimson)
Two: No Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Three: Sentenced!?

Otherwise a pretty good list, though not quite in line with what I'd define as MDM. I wouldn't call Earth or Amorphis MDM, and Dissection  only if there was no better genre to dump them in. Actually, I probably don't really agree with that list at all, but it's a pretty nice list.

As for Arch Enemy. Good band. Pre-Gossow material was more interesting instrumentally, but Gossow is one of the best death metal vocalists around at the moment, so it all balances.

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Scytale

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2007, 03:50 »

Heh I was trying to avoid listing the big MDM bands like ATG DT, EOS, etc, but yes they are good too. I like that Sentenced album so bite me:)

Yeah that Earth Album is a tough one (make sure you don't confuse them with the Drone band also caleld Earth) it sounds to me like a mix of ATG, Entombed and Winter with keyboards.

sean

• welp
« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:25 »

Arch Enemy was one of my first metal bands, so they're kinda sentimental to me.
Besides that, they're a decent band. Nothing special, but they're not bad.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

M4

« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2007, 10:50 »

Arch Enemy is great and a fantastic live show. Angela Glasgow's vocals have arcane effects on the Metal ladies in attendance, turning them all into eight-hundred pound Metal gorillas. Ever seen a pit full of girls terrorizing guys twice, maybe even three times their size? YIKES!

"Anthems of Rebellion" is by far their best record.
Pages: [1]   Go Up