Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 27 Nov 2021, 00:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many cd's do you have?  (Read 11517 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: How many cd's do you have?
« Reply #50 on: 05 May 2007, 05:05 »

I actually have barely any CDs these days. Everything's on my computer (and as soon as I can fix these miserable fucking USB ports, an iPod) and I've lost a lot of the original CDs.

If you want the number of albums I have, though, it's 265.

If you want to argue about sound quality, vinyl is good but if there's any dust in the grooves at all you're going to fuck up your record, and so living in dusty-ass Albania makes vinyls an absolute no-go for me. Cassette tapes do wear out, and if you're making tapes to get your circulation around, it may be a wonderfully inexpensive means of doing so, but not all players go at exactly the same speed as others, and as a result the song ends up playing faster and higher on another player, or sometimes it'll even give a shimmery vibrato effect. Fuck that.

DVD-CD is the best option I've found so far. Consistent quality, more space than a single 12" vinyl has on both sides of 8 of the damn things, they play the same every time, and they take a lot less babying than those damn vinyls do, even despite my love of vinyls.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #51 on: 05 May 2007, 07:36 »

While I admit that they are not perfect, the CD does have many advantages over other forms of media.

First, it is a form that is very easy to handle and listen to. CDs have been my primary listening media for perhaps all of my life and I have only had perhaps three problems with listening to a CD, all of which were solved with both the CD and the player perfectly intact. In terms of ease of use and difficulty to damage, it is the best physical format I have ever used. Cassettes get eaten, vinyl gets scratched and dusty, 8 tracks were pretty much crap. If something went wrong with your player, there  was little you could do to save the album that you were playing.

Also, CDs gap the physical format and the digital format the best out of anything. With downloaded MP3s, you usually have little control over the bitrate and quality, CDs are created at a quality that allows you to rip to any format you wish, at any quality. If you want to save space, you can rip to a 128 MP3, although I do not recommend it. If you want to preserve the album completely, you can rip to FLAC or another kind of lossless format. Between that there is a large spectrum of more reasonable and efficient methods to rip, but you have the choice of both the quality and how much space it takes up.

I will give any person who brings it up that the minidisc was a better system and player overall (although slightly easier to ruin than CDs), but they never achieved the mainstream success to be a viable format to listen to music on. It is still a very useful and easy format for home recording when you cannot lug around a computer and full recording equipment, but it cannot be used as a method to get albums because even when it was in its heyday few artists released work on it. The minidisc was mostly a victim of circumstance.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #52 on: 05 May 2007, 08:02 »

One thing that must be remembered when comparing C.D.s to older formats such as cassettes, is that when it comes to records that were not originally on C.D. a lot of the sound problems can arise not because of any inherent faults in the medium, but because the person who did the digital remastering fucked it up. There's a reason why record companies keep re-issuing old records: it's not just to make more money, it's also because often a lot of early C.D. re-releases sound pretty awful.

Though, it's mainly just to make more money.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #53 on: 05 May 2007, 08:55 »

---->My Collection<----

about 450 at the moment

a friend of mine has between 4000 and 4500  :-D
« Last Edit: 05 May 2007, 09:00 by Der Turm, der Leute frass »
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up