THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How many cd's do you have?  (Read 13258 times)

alongwaltz

How many cd's do you have?
« on: 29 Apr 2007, 08:53 »

I've got 461 proper releases, not counting burnt albums, mixes, etc.

And 3 records.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Re: How many cd's do you have?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2007, 09:41 »

This should go in the music forum.
Hate, rain on me

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 29 Apr 2007, 09:47 »

I have The Chemical Brothers - Surrender.

I have Fugazi - Repeater on vinyl.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:14 »

I think CD's are pretty alright.
Hate, rain on me

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:23 »

I can put a cd into my computer, but I cannot put a record in there. Also I can make mixes with cds, but not with records (due to the technology I own, I guess). I can't even play a record in my car!

The worst format that's still even a little bit around though is cassette, and I say that with love because I make mixtapes all the time. The sound quality is not so good.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:24 »

I love cassettes and I'm keeping the cassette player in my car but it's easily the worst format by a long shot.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:27 »

CDs were a necessary evil in the journey between vinyl and digital.

Unsure about cassettes

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #7 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:28 »

I have a couple dozen records and some 750 albums. Of course I didn't pay for all, most, or even a few of them. But I have them nonetheless.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 29 Apr 2007, 10:51 »

I didn't say tapes sucked, I said the sound quality isn't as hot as it could/should(? ) be. There always seems to be some fuzz that shouldn't be there, which in some cases can improve the aesthetics of the band overall, but sucky if you're going for a clean sound. Same with vinyl, the pops in my Loretta Lynn record or my Johnny Cash record enhance the sound of the recording (to my ears), but I would not want pops in my LCD Soundsystem or post-Satanic Panic Of Montreal.

Keep in mind that I did say that I love cassettes, I have cassette earrings that I wear all the time, but they're still the worst.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Spinless

« Reply #9 on: 29 Apr 2007, 11:14 »

Also, cassettes decay with time. If it wasn't for the gradual decay that using/fast forwarding/rewinding a cassette, I'd still be using one. Well, maybe if my cassette player hadn't broken.

Edit: Oh right, I have about 300 CDs. That's about 250 too many. The rest were either really great and worth it, limited edition or bought directly from the artist.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2007, 12:28 »

God, who gives a shit what format you listen to your music on?! Just listen to what you like and stop arguing. In my opinion every format has its advantages and disadvantages.

For what it's worth, I have 300ish CDs and maybe a dozen vinyl albums, not counting my parents records that I listen to.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #11 on: 29 Apr 2007, 13:08 »

CDs are the worst format of music ever devised.

Discuss.
Agreed.

CDs were a necessary evil in the journey between vinyl and digital.

Unsure about cassettes
Agreed again.

They were a necessary middle-step but these days I don't know why you would even bother purchasing a cd.  MP3s are infinitely more convenient, are easily manipulated and usually cheaper than a cd.  Vinyl is much more fun to listen to, actually sounds better IMHO and much more collectible if that's your thing (which in my case it is).  I personally am a huge fan of Sub Pop's new policy where if you mail-order a vinyl album they will send you a code with it so that you can legally download the mp3s for your computer as well.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 29 Apr 2007, 13:42 »

Tommy is pretty much right, with one disclaimer.  MOST tapes - and all tapes made before 1988 or so - don't decay in sound quality (unless they get eaten).  Around 1988 to push CD sales, they started making commercial tapes intentionally out of lower quality material.  This was called "planned obsolescence", to ensure people would eventually have to buy CD versions of tapes they owned.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spinless

« Reply #13 on: 29 Apr 2007, 13:45 »

CDs are pretty useful for backing things up and storing files. Not as useful as DVDs, but still useful. This makes them NOT CRAP in my opinion.

timehat

« Reply #14 on: 29 Apr 2007, 14:06 »

Digital music media allows for easy and accurate rewinding/fast-forwarding and or looping of sections of music which can be very helpful for musicians transcribing music, not to mention that cassettes sometimes seem to have a tendency to play things at variable speed and pitch which makes transcription even more difficult.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2007, 14:21 »

They were a necessary middle-step but these days I don't know why you would even bother purchasing a cd.  MP3s are infinitely more convenient, are easily manipulated and usually cheaper than a cd.  Vinyl is much more fun to listen to, actually sounds better IMHO and much more collectible if that's your thing (which in my case it is).  I personally am a huge fan of Sub Pop's new policy where if you mail-order a vinyl album they will send you a code with it so that you can legally download the mp3s for your computer as well.

I still buy cds for a number of reasons. For one thing most music I buy is only released on cd, vinyl or occasionally cassette, not mp3, and is frequently hard to download from file-sharing programs. And mp3s are only cheaper if you ignore the cost of the hardware. I can't afford an mp3 player which would store more songs than a burnt cd and considering the rate of muggings around where I live it would be pretty stupid of me to spend over ?100 on something I'd carry around with me. My cd walkman was cheap and has lasted me years, same with my cassette walkman.

Tapes are still great for recording when you start to consider cost. A friend and I have been using an old cassette recorder for working on songs. Sure the quality isn't great (this is more to do with the recorder itself rather than the cassette as a medium) but it's affordable, whereas digital recording isn't at the moment.

In the end I prefer vinyl to cds and tapes though, it's more physical. But if I'm to release something myself cd all the way. It's cheaper than vinyl and faster to reproduce than tapes.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2007, 15:05 »

I have about 350 CDs.

Currently, I view CDs and mp3s as equally necessary. I need mp3 format because I can't have a CD carrying case for all 350 CDs that is anywhere near as small as my mp3s player.

But I don't do any downloading. I rip all my mp3s from my CDs, which is what I still need CDs for. The problem with downloading is that you don't always get stuff at the same bit rate, or you get a live version that wasn't properly labeled as such, or the volume levels aren't all the same. Furthermore, it makes it too easy to break apart the unity of the album. I always listen to my music as complete albums, never individual songs.

faustian.spirit

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2007, 16:10 »

Reading about your download problems, I feel tempted to break a lance for slsk in public :) Yep it is a sin to do so, but I'll have my holy wine with a holy cow steak today....

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2007, 16:32 »

As someone with a cassette player that isn't a Walkman and cassettes made prior to '88 which have in fact degraded, I can assure you that a large chunk of you are viewing the medium through rose-tinted glasses; as someone without a credit card, I can also assure you that purchased MP3s are difficult to come by and at any rate they lack the physical album art, which in many cases with CDs can be quite a good thing to have.

I understand your dislike of CDs, guys, but they aren't the completely insanely bad medium everyone makes them out to be. I buy LPs when I can get away with it but CDs are for sure the primary medium in which I own music.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2007, 16:35 »

Okay, that's the one area you don't want to even mention with CDs. They scratch to fucking buggery the second time you pick them up out of their case. I still have the first ten or so cassettes I ever bought and they sound fine fifteen years later. So do the records. The CDs became coasters or just unplayable after a month.

Are you listening to your CD's, or sodomizing them? Jesus fucking christ. If I kept my Vinyl in the same conditions I keep my CDs (lying around not in a case) they would be fucked by now, whereas all my CDs are still perfectly playable, no matter how poorly I treat them.

Oh, and about 350 CDs and about fifty LPs.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2007, 16:37 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2007, 16:51 »

I'm with you, JC. I don't download insane amounts of music, mostly just individual songs so I can sample different bands and artists. I don't have the fastest internet connection in the world so this is all I can afford to do. Most of my music is on CDs, and I like to own the cover art and flip through the little booklets and all that. I keep 'em all in great condition and if a case breaks, I replace it!

Basically I am pretty down with CDs, though I can see the reasons why people would prefer mp3 or vinyl. It all seems pretty moot. CDs can get scratched, but vinyl can too, and your harddrive could get fried or stolen... All present formats will obsolete at some point... You may prefer the fuzzy sound of an album on tape, or the crackle of your old LP, but I know the album on CD and I prefer it the way that I know it. What's the difference?

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2007, 17:53 »

568 CDs.  I have about the same amount of vinyl, at a guess, maybe a bit more.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2007, 17:59 »

568 CDs.  I have about the same amount of vinyl, at a guess, maybe a bit more.

Sweet Jesus

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2007, 18:39 »

FWIW I am 31, so I've been buying CDs for maybe 15 or 16 years - I'm actually pretty heartless about getting rid of things I don't like, so I've probably bought at least a thousand CDs in my life. 

Also, a large chunk of the vinyl is either singles (hip-hop and dance stuff that never made it to CD) or the result of second-hand bargain bin trawling.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2007, 18:41 by fish across face »

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2007, 19:00 »

I have far too many considering I have not really bought any for thet 5 or 6 years. One day I will catch up. When I am a millionaire!

I would also like to declare my love for MiniDiscs. They were fucking awesome. I still have my player and it is quite frankly beautiful. It looks way better than most mp3 players. I was gutted when the minidisc player in my hifi went. (This was years ago as well)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2007, 19:00 »

No format is going to last forever. Even digital media degrade over time. I've grown up with C.D.s so they're what's familiar to me (I can remember when they first started becoming common, and it coincided with when I first started buying music). MP3s will never entirely replace C.D.s for me because there's a strong aesthetic and tactile enjoyment that I derive from the act of turning on the C.D. player, taking a C.D. out of its case, putting it in the C.D. player, pressing "play", and then holding the C.D. case and liner notes in my hand while I listen to the music. Scrolling through a menu on a screen and then pushing a button to start the music doesn't really compare.

787 C.D.s. Huh, thought I had more than that.

Brian Majestic

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2007, 21:12 »

Probably around 600 cds, 100 LPs, and 50 or so 45s.

On the whole, I really, really, hate mp3s. I think it's partly because I like physically holding something. The booklet/artwork/sleeve of a cd/record/etc is part of the experience to me.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 29 Apr 2007, 22:05 »

Make that 788. I found an Okkervil River C.D. I'd missed.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #28 on: 29 Apr 2007, 22:08 »

From now on, when I get into arguments with Tommy/see other people do the same, I'm going to start a game where I see how many posts Tommy makes before he mentions Fugazi, vinyl, Steve Albini, and/or Silkworm.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 29 Apr 2007, 22:12 »

Actually, make that 787 again. I've just remembered that my Charlie Hunter Trio C.D. is mysteriously missing, although the case is still there on the shelf. Fuck.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #30 on: 29 Apr 2007, 22:38 »

About 150 or so CDs, about 10 or so Vinyl (only started buying them. They're all limited edition Isis or Pelican LPs thus far  :-o )

For the record, while I prefer the sound of Vinyl (and all the artwork) CDs are way more convienient, and sound pretty decent, so I'm happy with em.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #31 on: 29 Apr 2007, 22:44 »

3, 4, something like that.

How many hard drives I have is another question entirely.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

The extra letter

« Reply #32 on: 30 Apr 2007, 00:19 »

I've got about 400-odd CDs and 30 to 40 LPs.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Scytale

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2007, 00:40 »

I'd estimate I have somewhere between 350 - 400 cd's.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2007, 00:46 »

From now on, when I get into arguments with Tommy/see other people do the same, I'm going to start a game where I see how many posts Tommy makes before he mentions Fugazi, vinyl, Steve Albini, and/or Silkworm.

Can we make a drinking game out of it?

We can also add in a rule where if I'm involved in a conversation and I mention a Canadian band you drink.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2007, 02:10 »

Since starting to listen to music I've bought about one album a week.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

thenosebleedkid

« Reply #36 on: 30 Apr 2007, 04:03 »

50ish or so, 1 vinyl

godinpants

• Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2007, 06:27 »

I have about 160 or so.

I don't really do downloading.
The way I see it, I plan on making money from music, I think through that, I'm obliged to pay for all my music.

I didn't have a job last year. And so I only bought maybe 10 cds.

Unosuke

« Reply #38 on: 30 Apr 2007, 07:35 »

I love my CDs. I guess its because when I started getting into music, it was still the age of the CD. Also, I don't like paying for digital music, if I'm going to pay money for music (which I do quite regularly) its going to be for something physical that I can archive and display with the rest of my collection, but I guess I'm just old fashioned like that.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #39 on: 30 Apr 2007, 08:16 »

I have 507 single/double pre-recorded CDs.  And about another 60 or so in multi-disc collections (Simon and Garfunkel; Donovan; 60's, 70's, and 80's rock; classical pieces, and so forth).  They run the gamut from ABBA to Warren Zevon, with many stops in between. 

I have about 40 CD mixes that I have made.

I also have about 20 albums on vinyl (lost a ton bunch in an accident several years ago, including my 78 rpm recording of "Hound Dog" by Elvis).

I have about 50 pre-recorded cassette tapes.  I have about 30 mix tapes containing various types of mixes (rock, celtic, and so forth).

I have one 8-track tape, a recording of a radio show when my daughter won a prize from a local radio station (but no 8-track player anymore). 

I have some of digital music I have purchased and downloaded into my computer.  The purchase agreement says that I can download them as many times as I want, to as many computers as I want, one flat fee (US$0.88 per song, US$8.88 per album).  (http://www.mp3tunes.com/)  The problem is that they don't have the music I want, for the most part.

I am looking into a program where you can buy music to download, plus you can get the CD for a few extra dollars.  (http://www.anywherecd.com/mp3/home1)  Likewise, they don't have music that I want. 

I have 24 videotapes/DVDs of various music things, some pre-recorded and some recorded off of television.  Plus 11 videotapes of operas recorded from television. 

I have about 6 GB of ripped CDs on my computer in Ogg Vorbis and FLAC formats. 

There are also about 100 or so CDs relating to computer stuff:  backups, downloaded and burnt CDs for various GNU/Linux distros, software applications, and so forth. 

I do not have a portable mp3 player, but I am looking for a portable player that will handle ogg vorbis and FLAC files, and has a reasonable HD size. 

I don't necessarily mind buying all of my music again every few years, but it would be nice to have it all in some sort of semi-permanent state.  I am getting too old for this shit.

Also, I buy quite a few CDs at shows/concerts given by local groups, so if I stand there long enough I can get them signed, which is tough to do with downloaded stuff. 

Oh shit.  If we are counting hard drives I have 23.  Plus the one in my computer.  Plus the one in my wife's computer.  Plus the one in my son's computer.  Plus the two for my laptop (which is dead, by the way).

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:00 »

Man, that is complete Fugazi, vinyl, Steve Albini, Silkworm.

You're right, how Sloan.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:09 »

Most of my music is on CDs, and I like to own the cover art and flip through the little booklets and all that. I keep 'em all in great condition and if a case breaks, I replace it!

Basically I am pretty down with CDs, though I can see the reasons why people would prefer mp3 or vinyl. It all seems pretty moot. CDs can get scratched, but vinyl can too, and your harddrive could get fried or stolen... All present formats will obsolete at some point... You may prefer the fuzzy sound of an album on tape, or the crackle of your old LP, but I know the album on CD and I prefer it the way that I know it. What's the difference?

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say.

Other then that: a little shy of 300 albums on CD format, and 10 on LP.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #42 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:42 »

Not that mant, really. Probably less than one hundred, more than fifty. I don't have enough money to have a large collection of CDs.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Valdemar

« Reply #43 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:53 »

My collection is a glorious 115 cds, one tape and zero LPs. God knows how many GB.

I am going to agree with Misereatur and Gryff in that cds are quite neat and as long as you are a little mindful you'll be fine.

Although it must be said, I would be all over vinyl if I had the necessary equipment.

Jed

« Reply #44 on: 05 May 2007, 04:17 »

I have 115 CDs and eight LPs (This is one I'm extremely proud to own: Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dudes LP).

CDs are good. You just have to keep them properly.
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #45 on: 05 May 2007, 05:05 »

I actually have barely any CDs these days. Everything's on my computer (and as soon as I can fix these miserable fucking USB ports, an iPod) and I've lost a lot of the original CDs.

If you want the number of albums I have, though, it's 265.

If you want to argue about sound quality, vinyl is good but if there's any dust in the grooves at all you're going to fuck up your record, and so living in dusty-ass Albania makes vinyls an absolute no-go for me. Cassette tapes do wear out, and if you're making tapes to get your circulation around, it may be a wonderfully inexpensive means of doing so, but not all players go at exactly the same speed as others, and as a result the song ends up playing faster and higher on another player, or sometimes it'll even give a shimmery vibrato effect. Fuck that.

DVD-CD is the best option I've found so far. Consistent quality, more space than a single 12" vinyl has on both sides of 8 of the damn things, they play the same every time, and they take a lot less babying than those damn vinyls do, even despite my love of vinyls.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 05 May 2007, 07:36 »

While I admit that they are not perfect, the CD does have many advantages over other forms of media.

First, it is a form that is very easy to handle and listen to. CDs have been my primary listening media for perhaps all of my life and I have only had perhaps three problems with listening to a CD, all of which were solved with both the CD and the player perfectly intact. In terms of ease of use and difficulty to damage, it is the best physical format I have ever used. Cassettes get eaten, vinyl gets scratched and dusty, 8 tracks were pretty much crap. If something went wrong with your player, there  was little you could do to save the album that you were playing.

Also, CDs gap the physical format and the digital format the best out of anything. With downloaded MP3s, you usually have little control over the bitrate and quality, CDs are created at a quality that allows you to rip to any format you wish, at any quality. If you want to save space, you can rip to a 128 MP3, although I do not recommend it. If you want to preserve the album completely, you can rip to FLAC or another kind of lossless format. Between that there is a large spectrum of more reasonable and efficient methods to rip, but you have the choice of both the quality and how much space it takes up.

I will give any person who brings it up that the minidisc was a better system and player overall (although slightly easier to ruin than CDs), but they never achieved the mainstream success to be a viable format to listen to music on. It is still a very useful and easy format for home recording when you cannot lug around a computer and full recording equipment, but it cannot be used as a method to get albums because even when it was in its heyday few artists released work on it. The minidisc was mostly a victim of circumstance.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 05 May 2007, 08:02 »

One thing that must be remembered when comparing C.D.s to older formats such as cassettes, is that when it comes to records that were not originally on C.D. a lot of the sound problems can arise not because of any inherent faults in the medium, but because the person who did the digital remastering fucked it up. There's a reason why record companies keep re-issuing old records: it's not just to make more money, it's also because often a lot of early C.D. re-releases sound pretty awful.

Though, it's mainly just to make more money.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #48 on: 05 May 2007, 08:55 »

---->My Collection<----

about 450 at the moment

a friend of mine has between 4000 and 4500  :-D
« Last Edit: 05 May 2007, 09:00 by Der Turm, der Leute frass »
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why
Pages: [1]   Go Up