THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl  (Read 10202 times)

the_tard

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
« on: 25 Mar 2007, 18:24 »

Woo! It's finally here. I played it for about two days straight and have just now decided I should probably stop before I become one of those zombie stalkers. Man this game is friggin' awesome, especially after people start giving you the underground missions. Just finished lab X18 a couple hours ago, and I can definitely see what all the reviews were talking about when they were raving about how awesome the environment and feel of the game is. I'm about 150 feet underground in an underground nuclear power plant, you have to use night vision goggles that make everything flcker on and off green and make a creepy buzzing noise, because if you don't, it's so dark you can't even see the gun you're holding. Then some psychic midget starts hucking boxes and glass bottles at at you, which explode on whatever they hit. You're fumbling around in the dark looking for an access code so that you can go to the next floor down, and you hear this *Thump... thump ... Growl .... Thumpa-thumpa-thumpa-thumpa* and WHAM! You get the ever loving crap pummeled out of you by a pseudogiant. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that this game is pretty awesome. My personal opinion is if you like shooting stuff, blowing stuff up and putting holes in crazy-ass mutants you should definitely buy this game. There, that's my thoughts. What did you guys think?

ackblom12

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2007, 18:49 »

I'm certainly enjoying the game. It's great coming up on your target and then watching a pack of Fleshies stampede him down.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2007, 08:29 »

My computer can't run it on low settings.  It's fine underground, but as soon as I go outside, it chugs along at about 3 frames per second.  I need a new computer.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2007, 13:33 »

Wow I remember when PC Gamer first announced this game 6 or 7 years ago. I still have the issue in fact. If I'm not mistaken it was in thier Most Anticipated Games of 2001 (or 2002, I forget) feature at one point. At first it was a pure RPG. "This isn't a FPS at all" the developers insisted. I'm a little dissapointed things changed because the world was going to be even more open ended and there were going to be tons of ways to develope and customize your character (like in a typical PC RPG). Still, I've heard great things about this and I'm looking forward to getting it in the near future. Will it be worth the wait? I've been excited for it ever since I read that article years ago so probably not really. But I'm sure it's still a really fun game. One thing that has gotten me excited is my friend compared it, at least in the begining, to Cormac Mcarthy's new novel, "The Road" which I loved. When I get around to playing this I'll post my thoughts.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

the_tard

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2007, 18:20 »

It's really good, but I don't see why it took 5 years. I only found out about it from this here forum about 2 months ago, I feel sorry for the people who have been waiting 5 years. Dimmukane, It's the opposite for me, I'm fine above ground and slow underground from all the cool lighting and such. For outside I turned grass density to none and upped vision distance. Turning down grass density, even to nothing, made hardly any visual difference that I could notice but it made it run a little smoother. I am currently running on Med graphics with settings tweaked or turned down just for personal preference. But yeah, this game pretty much devours your computer.

Zadorzky

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2007, 18:49 »

It's one of the scariest games I've ever played, and I love it for that.

The shooting mechanics are some of the most realistic I've seen in a game, and the AI is brilliant.  You can't pull stupid tricks on them, and they will flank, surround, suppress, and tear you to pieces if you aren't smart about it.

A ton of people have been complaining about the gun accuracy, but its just perfect IMO.  If you could just camp on a hilltop and snipe everyone in a 360 radius it would be just plain boring.  What most of these complainers fail to realize is that guns not intended for sniping generally can't hit a dime from 30m away.  There's gonna be some room for uncertainty.

I love the unexpectedness of the game, there will be times when you think you're safe, and out of nowhere 12 dogs are surrounding you and you are shooting left and right in an attempt to stop yourself from becoming lunch.  Luckily, the animal AI is excellent, and the animals are smart enough to run away if you shoot a few of em and behave as a pack rather than a group of enemies.  It's got the most incredible feeling of Paranoia, and its tripled as soon as you hit the underground.  The Bloodsuckers are invisible horrors that take 3 full clips to kill, assuming you hit em every time.  Pseudogiants are giant demons of doom, Snorks are just freaky.  X-18 is probably the scariest environment I've ever seen in a game thus far, though who knows, perhaps later there's something even scarier.

I think the game is brilliant for the way it catches you off guard every time, requiring you to be constantly on your toes and not afraid to take a risk yet smart enough to know when its wiser to retreat and take a better position.

The only disappointments I have is the bugs, loading screens, and the lack of economy in the game.  There is money and the like, but it pretty much takes a backseat to the rest of the game.  It's arguable that cash doesn't even matter, since you find stuff that is better than what the merchants have.  I would have really liked if there were trade routes and supply runs you could make for extra cash which you would use for modding your guns and the like.  Vehicles would have been a nice addition too.

The only other thing that annoyed me somewhat I guess would be the fact that the artifacts are not only as common as rocks, they are also more or less underpowered.  I would have preferred them to be far rarer and more powerful.  It's just that there are so many lying around on the ground, sometimes within 10 feet of each other, it just seems that since these things are what STALKERS are in this zone for, and for all the STALKERS you encounter, it seems strange that there would be so many just lying around.

The game extra dialog and writing is in Russian and set in the Ukraine, and I just happen to be a Russian-Speaking Ukrainian.  I swear you are missing out on 70% of the game world's depth if you don't understand Russian.  I can translate some of the phrases and anecdotes if anyone cares  8-)

the_tard

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2007, 20:39 »

That would be interesting to know what people are saying... The only time they're not speaking Russian is when they're talking to you or talking to someone else of significance right near you. I do feel like I'm missing out, but I like the feel of the game and I'm glad they went authentic with it. The zone being full of English speaking people would be kind of strange. Actually, I guess the zone being full of bilingual people is even stranger, but, meh. I like the gun accuracy. It's a nice happy medium from the ridiculous innacuracy of guns in BF2142 and the perfect accuracy of any gun in Wolfenstein. If you crouch and take a well placed shot for their head, they go down. Also, I agree, X-18 was probably the most well done environment I've seen in a game in a long tiime. Like ... ever. The trade route thing would be cool, I would totally raid a caravan. I really screwed up with Duty. I noticed all the ones around the camp (the first one you see, before you meet Barkeep) were holding Tunders. (Thunder? Tunder? it's probably Thunder but I've seen it spelled both ways...) I decided I wanted one. After about 5 tries I managed to wipe out the whole camp and steal all their thunder ammo. That was all good and fun untill I went to meet the Barkeep and the whole of the Duty encampment slaughtered me. Ouch. I eventually got through, but now every time I turn something in to the Barkeep, I have to kill the whole Duty camp again. Really sucks. The good news is they can't get in the bar, so it's kind of a safe haven.  I noticed as well that side missions are completely useless because you can get assloads of money if you just stop to loot your enemies and keep up with the main storyline. If I want to, can I join one of the clans? I so, where would I find the Freedom camp? (assuming I can't join Monolith  :evil:)

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2007, 21:19 »

The funny thing is that originally, vehicles were included. 
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2007, 08:44 »

I think it makes sense that there are bilingual people there. Isn't the entire premise that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s are there for treasure hunting?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

the_tard

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2007, 17:56 »

Yeah, but not everyone would speak Russian and English. Not that I'm complaining, I like to know what people are saying when I talk to them.

Zadorzky

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2007, 19:17 »

Hahaha well, what else can you expect?  I'd imagine killing a few dozen duty members would piss off the entire clan.  I actually have no idea as to whether or not you can join any other clans, I haven't really been playing long enough.  I haven't even played up to X-18, I just saw it and played it at my cousins' save game before I got the game myself.  I'm at returning Strelok's (Which means Shooter in Russian btw) cache to the Barkeep.  Just got out of the facility.

A few phrases I remember in Russian for the benefit of the English-only players:

Anecdote:

Two stalkers catch a third from behind near a river.  They don't find any artifacts or money on him, but its obvious he has some.  So they start dunking his head in the water and ask:

"Artifacts and cash?"

He answers:

"No,  there's nothing!"

They do it again and ask him, he still says nothing.  They do it a third time, and a fourth.

Finally, at the fifth time, when they ask him, he says:

"Look guys, either dip me down deeper or hold me down longer, the water's murky as hell and I can't see shit like this, much less artifacts and cash".

I remember another one, but not in its entirety, and I don't recall it is being funny.

Also, there's "Papali, Suki!"

Which translates to..."Got me, those bitches!"

Hehe, that's all for now.  Ill add more as I hear em.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2007, 17:21 »

The regular version of STALKER is only $40 CD, which is about $20-30 less than most new games, so your wallet will not cry too much.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

the_tard

« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2007, 11:22 »

Well, I beat it. Sort of. I got one of the "fake" endings.

SPOILER
I finally made it to the monolith/wish granting machine. What kind of stuff you did in the game determines what ending you will get. I had a craplaod of money, so I got the "rich" ending. I walked up to the monolith, held out my hands, smiled and said "I want to be rich." Then the view pans to one of the bolts holding up the ceiling and shows it turning int a gold coin, unscrewing, and falling. My character looks up and sees it, picks it up. He gets a big grin on his face. All of a sudden, these gold coins start raining down like crazy, and you kneel down and start laughing. Then, as would be expected, the ceiling caves in and crushes you. Game over. Kind of dissapointing, but I did rush through the game.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbzAqiFWGQ There's the video.

Replaying the game again on "Master" difficulty. Holy god damn it is hard.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2007, 14:43 »

Stalker mods

Just in case you want to change up the game a bit.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

weenus

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2007, 20:07 »

I said come in! Don't stand there!

nihilist

« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2007, 07:18 »

This game alternately frustrates me, and draws me in.  The concept is so awesome, but some of the implementation... Jesus. You can only run until you hit a bump in the ground, then your character seems to hit molasses.  Missions that fail BEFORE YOU EVEN GET THEM.  The AI that sometimes is awesome and other times two NPCs spend all eternity walking into each other.

ackblom12

« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:25 »

The AI that sometimes is awesome and other times two NPCs spend all eternity walking into each other.

Still 10x better than Radiant AI.

nihilist

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:46 »

F.E.A.R. had some pretty decent AI.

CPotts

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2007, 07:34 »

I have this game and love it, despite the fact that I cannot level transfer to Bar because it crashes at "LOADING CForm..."

I'm the biggest pimp on the block in Dark Valley and Cordon though. ;)

but still, imagine my frustration.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2007, 13:32 »

I love technical help. :D
What are the specs on your computer? Are you running at least Minimum System Reqs? XP or Vista? Any mods? Have you installed the latest patch? DXDiag would probably help in this instance. STALKER's a bitch to get running smoothly, but once you do it's a blast! And the Bar is pretty influential, so let's see if we can get it to work for you.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly
Pages: [1]   Go Up