THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Don't "Get" The Field  (Read 8808 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
I Don't "Get" The Field
« on: 02 Apr 2007, 08:33 »

Stylus gave it an A, Pitchfork loves it, and I just don't understand what's so rad about it. At most I'm listening to it and the way it blends its samples with the beats and melodies and going, "Oh, that's neat." I'm not raving over it.

I guess what I'm asking is for someone to explain to me what I'm missing. I understand Jeph's point about it having "melody as rhythm" but that's not really coming across as revelatory to me. I'll probably be giving it another listen so I want to kind of know what to be listening for.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
Re: I Don't "Get" The Field
« Reply #1 on: 02 Apr 2007, 09:30 »

The Field is a German techno artist who released his debut record last week. It's titled From Here We Go Sublime. You'd know that if you read the front page of the comic, Tom. Tsk, tsk.

At any rate here are some review links. Pitchfork's 9.0 review, Stylus' A review and a 5/5 review from Resident Advisor which I've seen quoted about a dozen times. I also have a couple of friends who are absolutely raving about it.

I've given it a few listens but whatever is being lifted from everyone else's eyes on the first run-through is still in front of my own on the fourth or fifth. By 2017 I'll have likely forgotten about the record completely.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 02 Apr 2007, 11:38 »

So it's just you JC. Way to be a dick, dick.

Thanks for your opinion, coprophiliac*.

Anyways, I mean, I like it, for sure. It's catchy and listenable. It just doesn't feel as monumental as everyone's making it out to be. I want to fit in! That's all!

*there are no noted instances of tommydski actually eating shit. i'm just pushing boundaries, man. i'm trying to get inside your head, you know?
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2007, 11:40 by Johnny C »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #3 on: 02 Apr 2007, 12:32 »

Good, they'll think it's huge.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2007, 17:31 »

You do know that just because a bunch of other people, including MUSIC CRITICS, have bonerz for an album, it doesn't mean you are weird or wrong if you don't, right?? For instance, I don't really get what makes Joy Division so great, aside from a few of their songs.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #5 on: 02 Apr 2007, 18:44 »

I'm sorry Johnny C, we can't let you be one of the cool kids now.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2007, 07:18 »

My favorite Joy Division song is 'Love Will Tear Us Apart.' So nyah!! Otherwise, I like Interpol's first album better.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2007, 07:24 »

I don't really get what makes Joy Division so great, aside from a few of their songs.

psst

neither do i
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #8 on: 03 Apr 2007, 07:27 »

psst

it's their songs.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #9 on: 03 Apr 2007, 09:29 »

So hey guys why don't we talk about The Field.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #10 on: 03 Apr 2007, 16:35 »

Right, because it's not at all possible that someone who is not you would have different musical taste.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #11 on: 03 Apr 2007, 17:00 »

I think Tommy's joking Gregs...
FROM NOW ON ON DA INTAR...NETS...WE SHOULD...use asterisks to express our feelings so sentences aren't read hundreds of times, going from a happy joke to vitriolic "I hate you's"? *Confuddled!*

Actually, I just listened to some of the most controversial band on the foums right now (*Spoiler Alert!* Sarcasm *End Spoiler!*) and I actually like it quite a bit. They're a bit minimalist, which may be what's got you Johnny. May-be?
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #12 on: 03 Apr 2007, 17:11 »

Joy Division is serious business.

Also, "New Dawn Fades" whomps "Love Will Tear Us Apart"'s ass. And I'm not just saying that to rack up indie cred by slagging off the popular tune, because "Love..." is excellent. But NDF... damn.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #13 on: 03 Apr 2007, 18:19 »

My favorite Joy Division song is 'Love Will Tear Us Apart.' So nyah!! Otherwise, I like Interpol's first album better.

Surely you mean this other track

[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #14 on: 03 Apr 2007, 18:33 »

I don't know if it's a REVOLUTIONARY MONUMENTAL ALBUM or anything. I just find it intensely enjoyable to listen to. It's a breath of fresh air in dance music, much the same way Vitalic's OK Cowboy was refreshing a few years ago.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #15 on: 03 Apr 2007, 18:35 »

I just downloaded 'Sun & Ice' from their website so I could think of a pithy put-down.
It's actually really good, I like it a lot.

Man that is the WORST track on the record. Get the whole thing, I think you will enjoy it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

BillAdama

« Reply #16 on: 03 Apr 2007, 20:00 »

The Field is the sort of thing I might put on in the background when I'm reading or lying in bed or something.  But not something I'd listen to just for listening to it.

You either like Ambient with it's resonance, simplicity, and repetition, or you don't.  The Field...is a pretty damn good Ambient band.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #17 on: 04 Apr 2007, 06:35 »

So that's why vinyl is still such a big deal to some people.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #18 on: 04 Apr 2007, 06:39 »

Right, because it's not at all possible that someone who is not you would have different musical taste.

Easy man. All that Crack is making you edgy. I don't like y'know pizza. So I know how you feel.

Except for the Crack withdrawal. That's all you.

But not something I'd listen to just for listening to it.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I actually never listen to any of my records. Instead I put them in a giant pile and roll around on them naked. Listening to music is so passe.

LOOK MAN WHATEVER, I'M JUST TRYING TO PESTER YOU UNTIL YOU GIVE ME SOME MONEY AND/OR CRACK IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE THE GOOD STUFF IT CAN HAVE LIKE FIBERGLASS AND MARBLES IN IT

MusicScribbles

« Reply #19 on: 04 Apr 2007, 06:51 »

Easy man. All that Crack is making you edgy. I don't like y'know pizza. So I know how you feel.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I actually never listen to any of my records. Instead I put them in a giant pile and roll around on them naked. Listening to music is so passe.

LOOK MAN WHATEVER, I'M JUST TRYING TO PESTER YOU UNTIL YOU GIVE ME SOME MONEY AND/OR CRACK IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE THE GOOD STUFF IT CAN HAVE LIKE FIBERGLASS AND MARBLES IN IT

That's the spirit!

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #20 on: 04 Apr 2007, 08:22 »

That's the spirit!

Yes. It is.
Hey, this is kinda fun.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #21 on: 04 Apr 2007, 08:27 »

That's the spirit!

Yes. It is.
Hey, this is kinda fun.

After a bit it starts to get to get annoying when the WORDS take up huge chunks of the chat. Especially since you're just reposting what everyone said already and adding a sentence or two to the mix.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #22 on: 04 Apr 2007, 12:28 »

I bet that stack of quotes looks well good after a nice rock o' crack.

After a couple of listens I'm really digging this Field album. I've had a fetish for all things electronic for years but never really gotten into the techno side of things beyond a couple of bands; this seems to mix that style of beat with elements of trance and god knows how many other silly sub-genres to create a perfect fusion of sound. I guess that's what's so revelatory about it. Other groups have executed each part of this music just as well but The Field have merged several different strains of electronica quite flawlessly.

Then again I have no taste, limited knowledge of the subject and I'm a sucker for samples of chicks going 'ooooh' or 'aaah' in synth songs so disregard dis shit. I'm lovin' it though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #23 on: 04 Apr 2007, 12:33 »

I dunno. Part of my problem I guess is that I was blown away by MSTRKRFT and even more Shout Out Out Out Out last year, and so this sounds like less of that breath of fresh air Jeph's talking about. It's interesting but to my ears not nearly as much as the SO4 record.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #24 on: 04 Apr 2007, 15:28 »

Holy shit do those look awesome.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #25 on: 04 Apr 2007, 16:29 »

holy shit do those look depressing
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #26 on: 04 Apr 2007, 18:21 »

you put them on and suddenly you're all 'AH BLOO BLUH BLOO"

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #27 on: 04 Apr 2007, 20:09 »

his volvo

OF DESPAIR!!!!!!!!!!

but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #28 on: 12 Apr 2007, 01:59 »

I dunno. Part of my problem I guess is that I was blown away by MSTRKRFT and even more Shout Out Out Out Out last year, and so this sounds like less of that breath of fresh air Jeph's talking about. It's interesting but to my ears not nearly as much as the SO4 record.
That's apples and oranges to these ears.  Guess I tend to agree as to what's more interesting, but it's not like they're heading in the same direction.

The first track by The Field I heard was the first one on the album and found it off-putting.  All of the tuned parts are just bits of Kate Bush's song Under Ice...  I'm not anti-sampling at all - it's generally a fuck of a lot more interesting to me than someone playing a guitar - but I just reckon he failed to do anything at all interesting with his sources.  It's all just (admittedly thin) slices of the recording extant, with no kind of processing to add texture, nor other elements to create a new context.  I guess a house beat is a pretty new context actually... ;)  Anyway, it's shit.

Do those who do like The Field listen to other stuff on the Kompakt label?  If so, what did you think of e.g. the DJ Kose album?  That's pretty ridiculously interesting and great.  I also love both the Dettinger albums, I wish he'd do another.  And then there's Andrew Thomas... and Michael Mayer's mixes... and plenty of good 12"s... shit... so many good bits.  *sheds a tear*
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2007, 02:01 by fish across face »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 12 Apr 2007, 03:07 »

They aren't so much apples and oranges as... shit. Apples are related to roses, right?

They're of the same species but are wildly different.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2007, 07:18 »

bumping this thread. I just got this album, and damn, it's really good, so I wanted to rave about it. It is extremely melodic, and it's a nostalgic trip for me, as I listened to (roughly) similar music back in year 10. It's one of the first albums of this kind that don't get boring, and the melodies in this album are great. I've yet to hear a better dance track then Everday. Freaking awesome album. Sure, it's nothing revolutionary, but it's a real solid slab of dance music that people from all sorts of different music tastes will enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up