Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOST  (Read 67296 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: LOST
« Reply #150 on: 30 May 2008, 15:31 »

Christian, I'm convinced, is an apparition of some sort, not a legitimately tangible being.

He's tangible enough to pet dogs and hold babies.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #151 on: 30 May 2008, 16:21 »

I honestly don't see how him holding the baby would have been an illusion, either to the viewers or to Claire, since it would have involved him creating an illusion of him carrying the baby and also making Claire not realize she was holding Aaron.  A bit of a stretch, I feel.  If the Island can manifest visions that multiple people see and can manipulate guns into not firing in New York and everything else, I don't know why it's so bad for it to be able to make Christian "solid".

Plus, his body wasn't in the casket.  Kind of gives a bit more credence to the thought that Christian's actual body is being used, at least some of the time.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #152 on: 30 May 2008, 17:30 »

Wow, seriously.  Seriously you guys.  I think LOST needs to win an award for the most dedicated audience asides from Battlestar Galactica.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #153 on: 30 May 2008, 21:25 »

That was basically a perfect season.

That is how you make a season of a show, television industry. Have a plan, stick to it, let it be encapsulated with a beginning and an end, but have it make the entire show as a whole better.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #154 on: 30 May 2008, 21:59 »

It's rare that a show gets consistently better with every season like Lost has. Season four was by far the best so far, with the most consistently intense pacing and some of the best plot progressions thus far. I'm already going through withdrawal. Luckily, I've convinced my girl friend to start watching so I'm just done re-watching season 1. And yeah, Lost definitely has some of the most devoted, cultish fan following. Sure, it doesn't compare to, say, Star trek by a long show but it's a damn devoted following.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #155 on: 31 May 2008, 00:19 »

I'm just waiting for the show to end and in the years following tattered "island" clothing to become the cult trend. It'll happen. Also, Battlestar Galactica should be classified sperately with cult followings because I'm sure 95% of people who like the current show despise the original, with good cause.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #156 on: 31 May 2008, 01:10 »

I didn't really like this finale as much as say, the season 1 or season 3 finale. But I still think it was pretty good. One thing that concerns me is that I'm curious about how they're going to tell the story now. The events on the island have basically caught up with the flashforwards off the island. Originally at the beginning of this season I was somewhat speculating that they were going to rid the show of the flashes all together, and just split the narrative between concurrent off and on island stories. But now that seems unlikely, since there doesn't seem to be much more to say off island until 3 or so years after the events of this finale. However, I think that if the flashes remain, that it wouldn't be very fitting for Lost to have the core of the story (and the cast member receiving the flashes) off island.

And after this season, if they do rid the show of flashes, I will be slightly perturbed, since there are 3 characters who need the full Lost character treatment very badly (Miles, Charlotte, and Daniel, especially the former two.) and one who could possibly get it as well (Frank) and it's been heavily hinted at the end of this season they are going to have a big role.

So then I thought that maybe they were going to focus on only the on island things. But then I realized there doesn't appear to be much conflict left on the island (save for the cryptic "very bad things" that Locke mentions) and the only core, popular cast members left are whittled down to Locke, Sawyer, Juliet, Bernard and Rose (if anybody really even likes those three that much) and possibly Jin. Assuming that Claire will not be such a huge part of the core group now that she's become a mysterious island woman.

But assuming that the Lost writers can come up with more plot points than I can (and they no doubt will) then I assume that season 5 will focus heavily on the events on the island in the 3 years before the Six come back. Miles, Charlotte and Daniel's characters will be fleshed out considerably. I imagine initial drama will be provided by Locke's attempts to recruit his old friends and the freighter people to his new group of Others. (Quite possibly he will even be faced with the hard decision that Jacob may not want him to recruit a good many of them, such as Sawyer, as well.) Jacob should finally be explained. Other supernatural forces on the island such as Christian may be explained by way of Claire and Locke, and possibly Hostiles. Other major mysteries of the island will possibly be explained, especially by way of Charlotte and Miles, it appears. If there are any other new main cast members they'll probably be original Hostiles. Alpert could possibly become a main cast member and maybe get a flashback (here's hoping.)

As far as off island goes... I'm not sure. Beyond the fact that I think it should be explored what happens to Desmond, Penny, and Frank after leaving the island. I dunno. I don't think more needs to be said about Jack right now. Kate needs more characterization regarding her promise to Sawyer. Hurley seems to not need anything more. Sun for sure needs more. Sayid and Ben could maybe use an episode in the 3 year gap. However, I'm not sure any off island characters will be getting flashbacks/forwards.

I have no theories regarding the lore of the show, however. Really I'm just speculating about what form the narrative will take in these next two seasons. I'm probably completely wrong, as well.

Edit: Does anybody else think Walt might go back to the island? They have a perfect solution to the problem of his age. And I think Walt's storyline desperately needs a proper resolution. I think it's entirely possible he could go back to the island, and possibly be the successor to Locke as leader of the Others.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 04:12 by JediBendu »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #157 on: 31 May 2008, 07:43 »

I finally watched it! Perty good episode. I'll post more later when I have time.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #158 on: 31 May 2008, 07:49 »

The producers have said that there was supposed to be more exposition about Charlotte, Miles and Faraday and that because of the writer's strike we'll get it next season instead of this one, so it's a safe bet a good chunk of the next one will be focused on them exploring the island.

Thankfully they have learned how to introduce new characters that people actually like; the Freighters are all great.  Charlotte is kind of a bitch but still interesting and it's clear she does care about Dan.  Miles is the new smartass now that Sawyer has gotten a bit more serious (though I lol'd when he called Frank "Kenny Rogers") and it seems like he does care about more than just money.  And Faraday, well, no explanation needed, just a solid, sympathetic character who will probably die a horrible death saving Charlotte, in true LOST fashion.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #159 on: 31 May 2008, 09:51 »

Edit: Does anybody else think Walt might go back to the island? They have a perfect solution to the problem of his age. And I think Walt's storyline desperately needs a proper resolution. I think it's entirely possible he could go back to the island, and possibly be the successor to Locke as leader of the Others.

Absolutely. Walt still has a definite role to play. He's still "special" and has some unexplained powers (making the bird hit the window, touching Locke in season 1 and knowing about the hatch ect. ect.). Whatever his role, I think it will be increasingly important. There was some speculation amongst friends that an entire season might go by without the six, which I highly doubt but it's true that most of them don't have much to focus on. Obviously Sun is going to be playing an important role but Hurley's institutionalized, and Jack's doing surgery whilst depressed neither of which gives a whole lot of material. Seeing Sayid kill people for Ben is also something that can't be too dragged out. The point is, most of the six don't have a whole lot going for them story wise off-island until after the events at the end of season 4. I guess season 5 could be the six after this point with flashes to the island from the day the six escaped leading up to this point, perhaps even culminating with the six getting back. Or do you think that last part will be saved for season 6?

Hollow Press (my blog)

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #160 on: 31 May 2008, 10:40 »

I'm really not sure when the Six are going back. If I had to guess I'd say the end of season 5 or the beginning of season 6, however. This still assuming that on island events will still generally be the core of the show as far as timeline goes, meaning that present day on the show will still always take place on the island. Though I can't say that's definite.

Also, I'm somewhat curious about whether or not Desmond, Frank, Aaron, and possibly Walt will all have to be brought back to the island with Jack, since Ben insisted that Locke should come back as well. I'm interested to see what Ben's requirements are for having to go back. And I expect that Ben's ulterior motives for going back to the island could very well be to get back Juliet, at least in part.

@Zerodrone: That's good news. I agree, the freighties are the most successful main characters save Ben, Desmond, and possibly Eko that have been introduced (with Ben being, in my opinion, probably the best character of the show now). Miles' trues motivation for wanting to stay on the island is possibly the thing I'm most curious about, and I'm wondering if Charlotte is connected to DHARMA, or something more interesting. Daniel has the most obvious hanging storyline with the whole time travel thing, as well. Frank is a good character, but he's not as interesting plotwise as the other three, but still, hopefully they give him just as good treatment as they gave less interesting characters like Ana-Lucia, Juliet, and even Nikki and Paulo.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #161 on: 31 May 2008, 10:52 »

I seriously dislike Juliet.  Maybe it's just the actress, but it's partially the way she's written.  When she told Jin about Sun cheating on him, that was pretty much the end of my caring for her whatsoever.  Her and Jack are probably the only characters since Ana-Lucia that I actually dislike.

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #162 on: 31 May 2008, 11:05 »

Jack is a character that's on an off for me. After season 1 he got pretty boring, and he was somewhat tiresome during season 1 as well. In season 3 I thought he started taking more interesting character turns again and the season 3 finale is probably my favorite finale of any season, and I think they handled Jack pretty much perfectly in terms of his established character in that episode and throughout season 4.

And I definitely agree on Juliet. The only thing that makes her interesting at all anymore is Ben's obsession with her.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #163 on: 31 May 2008, 13:31 »

I dislike a lot of the show's characters. I despise Kate totally and completely. I have pretty much since the pilot. I also hated Anna Lucia while she was alive and I didn't like Sawyer for some time (although as I'm currently rewatching the series, I do rather like him through season 1). Jack is pretty frustrating most of the time too and Juliet is totally unlikeable (that Jin/Sun thing was awful!). That being said, I do like a bunch of characters. I liked Mr. Eko, Hurley is endearing, Sayid is awesome and bad-ass (breaking a guy's neck with your feet is beyond cool), Jin became great as a character, Ben is really mysterious and awesome and, of course, Locke is terrific (possibly my favorite character. I was so sad to see him in the coffin). The freighter crew is also definitely growing on me. I'm excited to see them become a more prominent part of the show.

Also, I'm somewhat curious about whether or not Desmond, Frank, Aaron, and possibly Walt will all have to be brought back to the island with Jack, since Ben insisted that Locke should come back as well. I'm interested to see what Ben's requirements are for having to go back. And I expect that Ben's ulterior motives for going back to the island could very well be to get back Juliet, at least in part.

I think it's likely that Aaron will have to go back and maybe Walt but I doubt Frank or Desmond will. The impression I got was the survivors of 815 that would have to return, not people who were already on the island/came later. Also, can Ben go back? He said the island wouldn't let whoever moved the island returned and I doubt he would lie about that. Maybe he'll find a way but if the island doesn't want something to happen, it won't happen.
« Last Edit: 31 May 2008, 13:36 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #164 on: 31 May 2008, 14:13 »

True, it's likely that he can't get back, but I fully expect that one of the main reasons for organizing the return even if it's not possible for him is to get to Juliet in some way again.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #165 on: 31 May 2008, 14:30 »

Or Ben can go back if he's with the O6 and Locke.  Perhaps Ben killed Locke, knowing that it would give Jack a good reason to join up with him and help convince everyone to go back.

Because Ben always has a plan.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #166 on: 31 May 2008, 15:20 »

True, it's likely that he can't get back, but I fully expect that one of the main reasons for organizing the return even if it's not possible for him is to get to Juliet in some way again.

I'm not 100% convinced about that motive. It seems a little....shallow(?) for that to be Ben's motivation.

Hollow Press (my blog)

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #167 on: 31 May 2008, 15:33 »

Ben's motives over the past season have shifted to be more shallow and personal though. He not only let Goodwin die because of jealousy, but Juliet has warned Jack that Ben will kill him because of their blooming relationship. Also, he's now planning on killing Penny to avenge his own daughter, which is understandable enough but revenge is pretty selfish, especially in that situation. His competition with Widmore also seems driven by personal malice.

Basically I think that in this past season Ben has really been shown as a failed leader, and now his manipulative, masterful badassness has basically been turned to serve his own personal gains, especially since he seems largely finished with island concerns after moving it.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #168 on: 01 Jun 2008, 15:58 »

So I finally watched the season finale last night.  It was good, but after the last scene on the boat it felt really drawn out.  That is, until the very last scene of the episode.  That being said...

*breath*

GOD DAMN IT LOST I HATE YOU SO MUCH
WHY DO I KEEP WATCHING YOU

FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Styles

« Reply #169 on: 01 Jun 2008, 17:56 »

granted things could have been worse.
The could have cancelled it, like many of my favourite shows of late. [insert irate comment of us tv networks here]

Thankfully, we know there is an end (literally & figuratively) coming. but what that is is endlessly lost on me.
I enjoyed the season & the finale, definitely getting better from the first couple of seasons.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #170 on: 02 Jun 2008, 17:34 »

Link contains spoiler:
Alternate season four endings: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OLPX26aWQZA
I predicted it was going to be the latter of the two before the show aired. I think they made the best choice.

Hollow Press (my blog)

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #171 on: 03 Jun 2008, 08:02 »

Note, those are not technically typical alternate endings. They're more along the lines of red herrings. Neither of those was intended to be used, they were just filmed to sew confusion and avoid legitimate spoilers.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #172 on: 03 Jun 2008, 08:11 »

I just realized something. Since we now have two main characters with ties to the Hanso Foundation off the island (Sun now being a major part of Paik Heavy Industries and Desmond with his connections to the Widmore family) it seems we may finally see some of the material that's been the main area of interest in the Lost Experience in the actual show by way of them. I'm sure we're going to find out a lot more about Charles Widmore and the corporation at the center of all the conspiracies next season with characters like Sun, Desmond, and Ben.

Anyone think it's possible that Lost Experience characters may show up in the actual show at any point? I think it's unlikely, but if any of them are going to it'll more than likely be Alvar Hanso himself.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #173 on: 03 Jun 2008, 10:40 »

Well, the infamous picture of Alvar was already shown in the Swan orientation video and a lot of stuff like the Black Rock's last voyage under Magnus Hanso, who was mentioned in the Swan island map, have been referenced, so I'm going to say it's safe to assume that the Hanso family will be mentioned more, but I doubt we'll see Rachel Blake or Mittlewerk or anyone of that sort.

However, ComicCon is probably going to be the start of a sequel to Lost Experience, according to the writers from last ComicCon and the commercials during the finale. So that'll be cool.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #174 on: 03 Jun 2008, 22:13 »

Question: Is it far too late to get involved in the Lost experience? I have no idea what it's like or what it entails.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #175 on: 03 Jun 2008, 23:32 »

The original Lost Experience ended two years ago. Look it up on Lostpedia to read the story and see the videos.

Whether or not the new ARG is a sequel is unconfirmed.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #176 on: 01 Aug 2008, 12:51 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up