THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 14:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilco- Sky Blue Sky  (Read 6636 times)

ScrambledGregs

Wilco- Sky Blue Sky
« on: 05 May 2007, 19:41 »

Anybody else hear this yet?? After finally getting over my piracy reservations I have a copy of it.

Well, I like it a lot. It sounds like Wilco are content to just make a listenable, fun album without having to experiment or push the envelope. There is no noise or electronic elements that I can think of on it. Expect music critics everywhere to call this their "jammy 70s album" because that's immediately what it sounds like to me. Half singer/songwritery, and half AOR classic rocky. This is NOT a bad thing.

'Impossible Germany' is probably my favorite track so far, along with 'Hate It Here.'

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Wilco- Sky Blue Sky
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2007, 21:52 »

It was a pretty good album. Not their best, not their worst. Less frampton worship, less experimental, still fun.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2007, 23:22 »

Haven't listened to it yet.

In my mind though, I'm not expecting it to beat Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. 'Cause nothing can.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2007, 12:06 »

I've only heard 'What Light'. I'm not going to listen to it on the website or through piracy because I've ruined lots of albums for myself. However, based on the bootleg of 'Impossible Germany,' that song alone will be worth the price of entry.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2007, 12:40 »

I'm very curious about the forthcoming album. I'll admit I thought that Nels Cline playing in Wilco is heresy but if he is allowed to contribute ideas to the music, it could turn out to be quite interesting. It was sort of ridiculous enough when Glenn Kotche joined in the first place and now a cynical man (namely me) might look at the idea of hiring one of the greatest avant garde musicians of all time to play in your band as a way of trying to kick-start creativity again. If it works, it was a good idea. If it doesn't, you're going to draw some nasty feedback from certain folks within the band's original fan-base. Frankly, without meaning to sound harsh to Tweedy (who's music I have enjoyed for well over a decade) if your band includes Nels Cline, Glenn Kotche and Pat Sansone (not even mentioning Jim Rourke) and you still can't make a decent album - I know lots of people who could.

I'm going to try to catch them live though. With that backing band it could be Chris fucking Carrabba instead of Tweedy and it would still be amazing.

Wait, you haven't heard their live album yet with this band?? It's the same one that recorded the new album. Both are fucking amazing, and I think the hired hands fit well into the sound of both, though it's weird to hear Cline play such non-experimental music on Sky Blue Sky.

SeanBateman

« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2007, 08:24 »

The people who complain about this album are going to be people who don't really get what Wilco does, I think. I have talked to people who complain about this record because "it doesn't sound enough like AGIB or YHF," but it is really apparent looking at their discography that Tweedy has never really wanted to stick with one sound. I really liked AM but I don't whine that he stopped doing country songs when Being There came out.

So yeah, this record doesn't sound at all like AGIB(except maybe "Side With The Seeds") but it has really good songs on it, dudes. Tweedy is still a very good lyricist, all the musicians are amazing, the melodies are sweet, the hooks are catchy, and yeah it doesn't ask you to think about the music all that much, but I think that's what he set out to do. A friend of mine described the record as "What it sounds like to be getting old as an indie rocker," and that seems about right to me. This is sitting on your porch in the early spring music for the .com generation, and I bet these songs played at Bonnaroo will be one of the best shows they have ever done.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #6 on: 07 May 2007, 09:46 »

It seems like when indie rockers get old, they start making jammy, vaguely 70s style music. See also Sonic Youth, Stephen Malkmus, (arguably) Sleater-Kinney,etc.

The more I listen to Sky Blue Sky the more I like it. It's not a grower so much as you settle into its spell and have a great time listening to it. Dirk hit the nail on the head when he said that it doesn't ask you to think about the music; most of the last few years of Wilco and Tweedy's work in general has been highly conceptual and deconstructed kind of music with very poetic/stylized lyrics. This album is just a great rock and roll record that is compulsively listenable.

Merkava

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 19:07 »

I think Wilco decided to just make a good album. They don't seem to be concerned with revolutionizing sound, just working it to create something enjoyable. That's fine with me. There are two current bands that I can say I have total trust in, no matter what they do: Mock Orange and Wilco. This is because, whatever direction they decide to take, it leads somewhere successful. I don't need the latter to make another YHF or AGIB----they've already done that, and they don't seem to want to again. I'm totally fine with letting the band make its own decisions, follow its own paths, even if none of them lead back to Summerteeth. :P

kablaaamo

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2007, 20:54 »

I don't really like it.

I'm with all of you in the idea that it's unreasonable to ask Wilco to retread old ground. I've loved them since Being There. That being said....ALL of the other albums, with their varying styles and offputting features, grabbed me within the first couple of listens. I've listened to Sky Blue Sky a few times now. There is nothing that sticks out as particularly bad or awesome....so while I won't be complaining or crying about it, I certainly won't be listening to it often.

Jeff being better is a good thing though. While it may (arguably) affect his songwriting, it's more satisfying to me that a musician I deeply respect is able to enjoy his life again.

ekmesnz

• Emoticontraindication
  • Sprung out fully formed, knock-kneed and upright.
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2007, 21:01 »

It's boooooooooooring.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2007, 01:28 »

I do like it but its definitely not as varied as far as musical style goes...probably something good to fall asleep too, but it doesn't bring up the same feelings for me as their other works.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2007, 04:05 »

It's decent. I'll need to listen to it a bit more first.

So who else thinks the bootleg live version of 'Impossible Germany' was a better performance, even if the quality of the MP3 was bad?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2007, 07:02 »

Generally when bands record albums like this, the songs sound better live, so I'm not surprised at all.

I think I like this album so much because I actually love that '69-'74 era sound that Tweedy mentions as an influence. I still love classic rock even if I don't listen to it much. Hell, I'm going to see Steely Dan and later Bob Dylan with my Dad this summer...

And no, fuck all that "Wilco just made an album full of Dad Rock" crap.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2007, 12:53 »

"Dad Rock" is one of the worst genre names I've ever heard.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2007, 08:13 »

I really like the album. It's different, but somehow the same. And yeah I think it's probably going to be awesome to see them play some of these songs live. Wilco is a hell of a band to see in concert.

I think if I had to sum up the album in one word, it would be "Wings."

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2007, 00:58 »

"Dad Rock" is one of the worst genre names I've ever heard.

It makes me think of Tim and Eric's Hip-Hop Instructional Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-CFKWCRAAA.

I haven't heard the album yet, but I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm glad to hear lots of positive responses to it.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2007, 07:48 »

I've decided I love this album. For the most part, it's the opposite of its predecessor, in that it's a work of restraint instead of a work of almost total self-indulgence. The songs are mostly laid back, quiet, beautiful folk songs with just a little bit of magic sprinkled on top by the rest of the bands. However, there's also 'Impossibly Germany,' which despite being totally out of place in my eyes is my favourite song on the album due to its three-minute guitar wig-out.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2007, 10:09 »

I'd still go see Neil Young and he hasn't had a good album in decades.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2007, 11:28 »

Meh?? Meh??

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2007, 01:40 »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2007, 01:41 »

Okay his hat makes him look like a bit of an asshole on Freedom but I think y'all get the point.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2007, 08:01 »

I've listened to this for a few weeks now and it's really grown on me. At first I didn't like it but now, it just feels right for them at this time...very chilled.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2007, 15:30 »

I officially adore this album and will link to my review once it's up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up