THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 00:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC RSS Feed  (Read 15358 times)

Bryn

QC RSS Feed
« on: 06 May 2007, 04:01 »

I use Firefox Live Bookmarks to manage my RSS feeds. The problem is, the QC one doesn't have a title or strip number in it- they all say "QC RSS Partytime". So I've got no idea when its updates.

Any chance we could get some detail added to the RSS feed?

Bryn

Re: QC RSS Feed
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2007, 19:12 »

People have lots to say about this I see :). Oh well.

blooflame

« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2007, 20:53 »

I think for the <channel> it's OK to have a <title> of QC RSS Feed Partytime, but each <item> should have a <title> of QC Comic #877 and possibly the <link> for the item should refer to view.php?comic=877

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2007, 11:37 »

I think for the <channel> it's OK to have a <title> of QC RSS Feed Partytime, but each <item> should have a <title> of QC Comic #877 and possibly the <link> for the item should refer to view.php?comic=877
I agree. Especially with the last thing.
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why

buggd222

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2007, 18:46 »

I agree also, and am bumping this as an alternative to the "Hurr I'ma go on the QC forums and be whiny about the RSS feed title thing" plan I originally had.

>.> <.<

RaegX

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2007, 21:04 »

I registered on this forum for one reason.

To say that the QC RSS feed is joke, until the entries all have unique titles rather than "QC RSS Party Time". So useless.

Example: http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=qcrsssuckswf8.png

Prominairy

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2007, 03:23 »

I just registered because I wanted to bump this up before it is gone from the first threads page. I use Firefox for keeping up with a fairly small number of RSS feeds and it is really a grievance that the QC RSS feed is lacking so in useful information. I am fairly astute as to when the strip updates, but using the RSS feed for this is useless, as all it every says is, "QC RSS Partytime", once for every update. Furthermore, the entries do not link to the strips, but all to the front page.

I have personally resorted to making my own RSS feed, that scrapes the front page for updates, looks for older images and does a very rudimentary OCR of the images to get the strip titles. I know this is probably not the most gentleman-like to do, and definitely not the best of options.

I do not have any experience with using RSSPect, but from a first, brief glance it seems as if it is possible to get the info to the feed using the "rss-title" "rss-link" tags (or rather, those classes for the "span" tag).

LovesTha

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2008, 23:57 »

Another person registering for the single purpose of complaining about the RSS feed.

Let me run you through my Comic Selection  routine:
1) find some reference to a comic
2) read the most current comic
3) check if there is a RSS feed (yeap, theres the orange logo in the title bar, all should be good)
4) spend 4 days, including a whole weekend reading back issues
5) subscribe to rss feed
6) discover the RRS feed is not worth using
7) complain of forum about quality of RSS feed
8) probably never read said comic again.

Sure you're RSS feed does make it easier to syndicate the strip. It doesn't help much for people who want to just know there is a new comic.

Its a pity, I really like the characters and plot. I also feel that I get most of the pop culture references, which always makes me happy.

BTW: I use the igoogle interface for my RSS feed viewing, so all I get is the above described static title for every comic.
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2008, 14:01 by LovesTha »

nigma

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2008, 13:44 »

Another person registering for the single purpose of complaining about the RSS feed.

Let me run you through my Comic Selection  routine:
1) find some reference to a comic
2) read the most current comic
3) check if there is a RSS feed (yeap, theres the orange logo in the title bar, all should be good)
4) spend 4 days, including a whole weekend reading back issues
5) subscribe to rss feed
6) discover the RRS feed is not worth using
7) complain of forum about quality of RSS feed
8) probably never read said comic again.

Sure you're RSS feed does make it easier to syndicate the strip. It doesn't help much for people who want to just know there is a new comic.

Its a pity, I really like the characters and plot. I also feel that I get most of the pop culture references, which always makes me happy.

BTW: I use the igoogle interface for my RSS feed viewing, so all I get is the above described static title for every comic.

I'm pretty much the same, except step 8, which should read more like "Forget about the comic for months at a time (because I never get an unread notice in my RSS reader), get pissed about the (still) broken RSS feed, and whine on the forums about it."

I'll send an email to Jeph to plead with him to let me or someone else fix the RSS feed this time.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
  • The puppy dog eyes will only get you so far...
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2008, 18:15 »

I agree! It would be nice if they were each different!

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2008, 18:30 »

If someone can code something up for me that works better than the current setup, I would be much obliged. I know absolutely nothing about RSS.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

LovesTha

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2008, 19:46 »

all were asking for is the following pair of tags:
    <span class="rss-title"> Title </span>
which would optimaly be placed around the comics title, but if it was just around the date we would cope.
and:
    <!-- <span class="rss-link"> http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1060 </span> -->
so that the link in the rss feed would point to that particular comic.

(the top tag would make the phrase "Title" visible on the site, the second one would be invisible)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2008, 20:33 »

I understand, but I have no idea how to make that work with the PHP that serves up the comics.

I'll have my hosting guy look into it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

NeoNorm

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2008, 00:26 »

I have to agree with most of the above, all except for not reading because of it. I still read every day!

I'm not a PHP guy (primarily ASP.NET) but I think i could figure out how to set this up.  What PHP program are you using to host the RSS? I might be able to read the manual and help you or your hosting guy set it up.

loop

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jan 2008, 06:17 »

Hi there!

I registered just to talk about the RSS.

:)

(well, okay, that was actually my primary motivation, but now that I'm here maybe I'll participate anyway)

The RSS feed stopped working for me - I use google reader to follow QC, and it's worked beautifully up until the last feed (1/21/08).  Not sure what the issue is, but there are just no further updates.  I've unsubscribed and resubscribed via google reader and another rss reader, and the last feed shown is the 21st.  Since there HAVE been other comics since, I figure there's an issue beyond my cluelessness for a change.

Emmo213

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jan 2008, 07:13 »

Registered just for this RSS discussion. The feed stopped working for me too a few days ago. I also wish the title would reflect a new comic instead of just Partytime. Maybe there's an update in the works. One can hope. Otherwise, love the comic!

ashridah

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jan 2008, 09:47 »

Yeah, the RSS feed stopped working for me a few comics ago as well, nothing new in it since the 21st.

cor825

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jan 2008, 00:10 »

Yeah, the RSS feed stopped working for me a few comics ago as well, nothing new in it since the 21st.

Me too!  Nothing since the 21st.  :(  What's wrong?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jan 2008, 00:20 »

I was switching to a new RSS publication system.

It seems to be working exactly as it should now!

The NEW feed URL is

feed://www.questionablecontent.net/QCRSS.xml

LovesTha

« Reply #19 on: 25 Jan 2008, 01:55 »

So let me get this right. I posted on a comic's forum. And something actually changed because of it?

This is amazing. I love you guys so much.

Emmo213

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2008, 06:12 »

Most excellent! I signed up for the new feed and it's working perfectly. Thanks!

loop

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2008, 09:17 »

Yay!  Thank you so very much!

Moleculor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2008, 12:43 »

*dance dance dance*

Kinguni

« Reply #23 on: 30 Jan 2008, 08:29 »

Not working again in either FF live bookmarks or NewsFox. Anyone else? :?

phroughy

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jan 2008, 20:58 »

Just registered to complain about RSS.

But before i do that. I love your comic, Jeph! You rock!  Todays (really tomorrows? its thursday's i guess) was exceptionally grand!

So, the names are appearing in the RSS, but for some reason thursdays isnt there.  The latest one in the RSS is "That would explain the homoeroticism", but the latest is "What about her Clones".  I just thought it was funny that the RSS was supposedly fixed, and doesn't even show the comic from that was posted the same time the fix notice was. :-P

Love the comic!

mehmeh

• BANNED
  • Plantmonster
« Reply #25 on: 30 Jan 2008, 21:22 »

I was switching to a new RSS publication system.

It seems to be working exactly as it should now!

The NEW feed URL is

feed://www.questionablecontent.net/QCRSS.xml

Random J Netizen here (from Australia, if that's of any interest) who's too lazy to sign up..

Love your work, keep it up, came to moan about the RSS feed not working.. then finding a weeks worth of sweet sweet comics saved up :D

Any chance you could put a notice on http://rsspect.com/rss/95.xml letting people know you've moved feeds so they don't have to come here to find out? :)

jayre

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2008, 00:56 »

hey, sorry to register and immediately start complaining, but...

does your rss feed update automatically? because quite often the comics don't show up on rss until days after they appear on the site. currently the most recent comic on the rss feed is 1107, but on the site it's already up to 1109.

It seems to me that you must be doing it manually, then. Else your automation is messed up right now. Anyway, you should try to find a way to either a) have the rss update automatically or b) remember to update it when you upload the comic.

anyway, just my humble opinion. I really like the comic, but I'm pretty busy so the only way I remember to read it is if it shows up in my rss. so take it or leave it.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2008, 18:22 »

Anyway, you should try to find a way to either a) have the rss update automatically or b) remember to update it when you upload the comic.

Or why not 'c) Go to the homepage every weekday morning because QC is consistently updated'? Just put a bookmark in the bookmarks toolbar, and you won't forget. :wink:

I have the RSS feed entered into Sage (a Firefox plugin), and Friday's comic is the first one that hasn't shown up the same day it was put on the homepage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up