THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephen King's Gunslinger series - worth it or no?  (Read 9226 times)

dr.caffy

So I read alot of Stephen King. IT, Carrie, Pet Sematary, Bachman series, Christine, Night Shift  - I've read about half of his novels and short story collections. Yet I tend to shy away from the Gunslinger books since the big bastards would take a nice healthy chunk of my life to finish. Still, a buncha folks I've spoken to foam at the mouth over them.

So I ask: are those 10,000-odd pages worth it, ladies and gentlemen of the jury? Or would I be better off with something else? Caffy needs your help. D8

magdalena

Re: Stephen King's Gunslinger series - worth it or no?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2006, 11:26 »

YES!!! but read the new version he put out, it has some new things that he added in later books that make the story mesh better.  and when you read those, you pretty much have to read all his other books over because he ties them all in together.

Blaine is a pain and that is the TRUTH.

Entilzah

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2006, 18:55 »

READ THE SERIES! That is an order. It is some of Stephen's best work. It was well worth my time reading and enjoying it. I promise if you like King's stuff, you will not be disapointed by this series.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #3 on: 29 Dec 2006, 19:24 »

As someone who has read a similar amount of King as the OP, I would recommend these novels.  They aren't really horror novels really; it's more of a science fiction epic, like The Stand.

I really enjoyed them all, save for the final book.  Part of me is grateful that King had the decency to finish the tale, though.  I won't say anything more about the last book for the sake of spoilers at this point.

pinkroses

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2006, 22:41 »

I enjoyed the first 5 or so, but then reading them became a bit of a chore. They seemed to kind of drag by the end, not a lot happening in 100 pages or so. Maybe I feel this way because I had to wait so long before reading the last few after reading the first ones in such quick succession (I filled half a shelf in my school library by ordering them so the school bought them for me! :-) )

magdalena

« Reply #5 on: 29 Dec 2006, 23:48 »

there's also a comic series that is in the works that jai lee is the artist for that takes place before the gunslinger i am looking forward to it muchly.

i had to read the last one twice before i accepted the ending.  now... after thinking about it for a LONG time, it fits.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2006, 05:30 »

i thought the series they were doing was just the gunslinger (ie. the first book)

anyway it's well worth the read although it does slow down in parts
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2006, 06:46 »

Also, pet peeve, it's not "The gunslinger series." The guslinger is the first book. The series is called The Dark Tower.

</nerd>
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Alarra

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2006, 08:56 »

I love this series personally, so yeah...you should read it.

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2006, 11:43 »

My bookshelf of nothing but Stephen King Hardcovers compels you to read the goddamn Dark Tower series.

It's fuckin amazing. especially the ending to it all.

magdalena

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2006, 13:08 »

i just love how he tied everything together, even Pet Sematary.  and if you haven't read any of the Dark Tower main books, then Insomnia doesn't make nearly as much sense.

i was mostly disappointed how he never tied in the Talisman and Black House more.  that would have been a dream come true.  i just love Jack Sawyer.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2006, 22:05 »

Absolutely.

Spoilers below:

]I really liked the fact that Father Callahan showed up in the later books.  The way that King left his story unresolved at the end of Salem's Lot had been a sore spot for me.  Though I felt much more could have been done with Flagg/Walter, it was disappointing that he went out so suddenly after having such an important role in the other Dark Tower books.

magdalena

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2006, 08:18 »

YES!!  don't even get me started about that.  ergh.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2006, 09:25 »

Yes, read it. It's the truth. The truth is a pain.

You won't really be able to guess what happens at the end, which is good.

Though the last book did kinda piss me off. Not gonna say why though.

Alarra

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2006, 12:00 »

What pissed me off was the end of the 3rd book.....but that's because I read them as they came out and it was something like 6 years between that and the 4th book....and that's a long time to wait on a cliffhanger.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jan 2007, 00:28 »

It is a pretty good series but the ending is very bittersweet.
Hate, rain on me

ackblom12

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2007, 10:22 »

The ending being so bittersweet is part of what I loved about the series, and King in general. The endings are more natural I guess. Not everything get resolved, not everything may end up ok, and the hero doesn't always make it out quite so well, if at all.

guywithoutsocks

« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2007, 01:56 »

What pissed me off was the end of the 3rd book.....but that's because I read them as they came out and it was something like 6 years between that and the 4th book....and that's a long time to wait on a cliffhanger.

Agreed!  I didn't have to wait that long, maybe three years, but it was still agonizing.

kokeyjoe

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2007, 18:24 »

Also, pet peeve, it's not "The gunslinger series." The guslinger is the first book. The series is called The Dark Tower.

</nerd>

Agreed.  But there's still a part of me that wants to think Roland is the center of the universe.

And as far as the original question... I love The Dark Tower with such a fierce passion that I believe anyone should read it, especially someone who has read half of King's works already.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2007, 20:08 »

Considering he spent about 30 something odd years working from the first to the last, it's most definately worth the read.

Poufe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • meh.
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jan 2007, 22:04 »

Just to add to what everyone else has been saying. Yes, I've herd that the Dark Tower series is some of his best work. Though I do not know much considering I've only read The Stand and Christine so far. I am in love with Stephen King novel and plan on reading the Dark Tower series after a finish a few more of his novels. If you get there before I do tell me about them, i've herd nothing but wonderful things from other people though.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 02 Jan 2007, 23:17 »

Make sure you read...

The Eyes of the Dragon (One of my favorites, and a very good story that centers on Flagg as the villian)
IT
The Talisman
Black House
Hearts in Atlantis
Insomnia
Deloris Claiborne

Those are some of the books that added a great amount to the... web I guess, of the Dark Tower stories. They also tend to have little bits in them that help you understand how things work in the world of The Dark Tower. Of course once you've read 2 or 3 f the Dark Tower books you'll also start noticing LOTS of little things from the other books that tie in. It's really amazing.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jan 2007, 05:51 »

if youre familiar with more than 10% of stephen king's work then you are cosmically obligated to read The Dark Tower series.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #23 on: 04 Jan 2007, 07:04 »

Ackblom, you forgot The Stand.
Hate, rain on me

fozmo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 04 Jan 2007, 08:08 »

To reiterate for the bajillionth time:

READ THEM

and on the subject of waiting to read them: I started just as the 6th one (Song of Susannah) came out, so by the time I finished them all, the last one was out and just old enough to have a copy put in the used bookstore at the library. $3 for a $30 book. It's a wonderful feeling.

Edit: Also note icon. Facepalm. How'd I forget that?
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2007, 08:45 by fozmo »

ackblom12

« Reply #25 on: 04 Jan 2007, 09:00 »

Only because he mentioned he'd already read it ;)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jan 2007, 09:02 »

Of all the Stephen King I've read, I have to say The Stand has seemed the strongest.  Haven't touched The Dark Tower yet though.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #27 on: 04 Jan 2007, 11:28 »

Only because he mentioned he'd already read it ;)

He'd mentioned already reading IT, too.
Hate, rain on me

ackblom12

« Reply #28 on: 04 Jan 2007, 11:56 »

Well damn my selective vision. :P

NiMRoD420

« Reply #29 on: 05 Jan 2007, 01:29 »

The Dark Tower Series, as a whole, is possibly the best thing I've ever read. Just read it. Everyone should freaking read it. You have forgotten the face of your father if you do not read it. Ka is a wheel motherfuckers.

Kaktion

« Reply #30 on: 08 Jan 2007, 08:43 »

The Dark Tower series, which I got into in eigth grade, was quite possibly one of the best series I've ever read. One of the few series I actually read in its entirety. As others have said, if you're a Stephen King fan you are obligated to read this. It's more or less his reason for being a writer - says so in the books, hehe. I agree with everyone here on the subject of Flagg.

Oh, my favorite was Wizard and Glass, simply because looking into Roland's past was a treat. On that note, I might as well plug, and remind everyone, of this:

http://www.marvel.com/news/-1.639

Dark Tower comic, coming next month. More info on Roland's past, how great is that?

NiMRoD420

« Reply #31 on: 09 Jan 2007, 05:37 »

Certifiably great, and you can put money on that.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2007, 23:52 »

My favorites of his are: It and the unedited version of the Stand.
I finished the 4th one so now i move on to the 5th one which is Wolves of something?
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2007, 10:52 »

Wolves Of The Calla.

This book is a major turning point in the story.
Hate, rain on me

Legendaryratboy

« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2007, 21:14 »

This series is one of the best works of dark fiction I have ever read, if you like Stephen King, then you have to read it if only so you can make the connections between the series and his other works, especially The Stand. I also have troubles finding the new version of the Drawing of the Three for some reason.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #35 on: 22 Apr 2007, 11:28 »

:oops: I thought it got old in the middle of the 3rd book, which is where I stopped. Maybe one of those, 'I love your idea to death [the first book], but I've got no patience for the extended character development [the rest].'

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #36 on: 08 May 2007, 14:24 »

Grrrr - it's hard for me to discuss this without dropping spoilers like mad.

Suffice it to say that it is my absolute FAVORITE series ever.  Though there were times that I wanted to kill Sai King with my bare hands.  Not because it was bad, but because I didn't want to happen what did happen.

My favorite quote:  "It all comes down to the same five minutes of blood, pain, and stupidity."  - Roland Deschain.

Yes - READ THIS SERIES!
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up