THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 10:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neverwhere  (Read 2430 times)

doki

Neverwhere
« on: 20 May 2007, 07:36 »

I found the graphic novel in the bookstore, bought it, loved it, researched it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MVDN2rSRyc&mode=related&search=

I knew gaiman was good, but god damn

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Re: Neverwhere
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2007, 08:23 »

I did rather like the novel...! More accessible than some of Gaiman's other work from around that time. Forgot it'd been televised... looks totally sweet!
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

richardsdm

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2007, 08:22 »

Correct Order of release-

1)  Televised BBC series, recently released on DVD.
2)  Novel, written after the series was aired
3)  Graphic Novel, which annoys me to no end

Now, I am a Neil Gaiman fantatic.  I have quite a collection of his stuff, although I am very annoyed that they keep re-releasing all his old stuff in different formats just because morons like me will buy it.  Has he written anything new in several years?  I can't tell becuase all this re-released crap is blocking the view.

On a hypocriticial side note, I'm beyond excited about the Stardust movie coming out in August.  www.stardustmovie.com

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2007, 14:07 »

new from Gaiman, "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys" which are very good, I wish they make American Gods into a miniseries like NeverWhere.
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

richardsdm

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2007, 14:24 »

With Neverwhere, the series came first.  He wrote the book a year or two after.

I've read both American Gods and Ansani Boys.  I'm mainly talking about Fragile things, the neverwhere graphic novel, and the other collections that have stuff previously published but in different forms. 

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 05:47 »

I've only ever read the novel. Saw the graphic novel in the store and decided to pass based on the artwork.... How is the series?? Worth buying the DVDs of?

richardsdm

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 06:54 »

The series is very close to the book, and a lot of the dialogue is the same.  The only main difference is that Gaiman could do more with the book then the series could do budget wise.  The book expanded a couple of parts to fill in the detials.

If you like cheesy, low budget BBC sci-fi then I recommend buying them.  I have heard that the Gaiman commentary track is worth it but I haven't heard it yet.  Gaiman is a very, very funny man.  I have an illegal VHS copy.  I'll break down and get the DVDs eventually since I did enjoy the series.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 07:17 »

Quote from: richardsdm
cheesy, low budget BBC sci-fi

Indeed! Once you get past the first few minutes and can manage to forgive it for being completely aweful, it's rather fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up