THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Games Series'  (Read 5110 times)

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
Games Series'
« on: 09 May 2007, 15:09 »

So, I got to thinking about it, and I was a little surprised to find out how I've gotten into the series' that games can often get into, without even realizing it.

The one that immersed me, without me even knowing it, was the Final Fantasy Series.  Even though it kinda' lost my attention with FFX - still, that's 10 games, and I played them all to finish up to that.

Also high on the list - The Resident Evil Series.  I played the first one when it came out - like two days after release.  I played 2 and three, and I'm into RECVX, even though I hate it with a passion.  I also have Outbreak, and RE:4 now - haven't even played 4.  I've considered getting a gamecube just to play the RE:0 and RE:remake.  Just wow.

The GTA series - all the way back to its PC roots - I've played them all except Vice City Stories, and the forthcoming GTA:4.

Metal Gear Series - Yep, played the first two on the NES.  How far they've come.  Damn those games were hard in the early days.  Again, considering a GC just for the Twin Snakes.

There are others, less popular, and some with only 1 - 2 games.  That's the biggest meat of the list right there.

Anyone else?
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Re: Games Series'
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2007, 20:01 »

Pokemon. Hell yes. I played Blue and Silver to death, got halfway through Crystal and Ruby, and am having a kick-ass time with Diamond. I love my Pokemans.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Splunkle

« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2007, 22:11 »

Civilization - I've played every single version, plus Alpha Centauri, and I've even played Colonization.  About once every 9 months I get a huge massive craving to play some Civilization, and it isn't sated until I do so.  I'm going through one now actually, and its really annoying, because I lent my Civ4 disc to a friend.  I'm such an addict =(

Command and Conquer - Not anywhere near as bad as my Civ addiction, but I still really love these games.  Kane lives in death, you see.

Thats all the series I'm addicted to with more than two games in it.  If we include two game series, the list explodes.

Scytale

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 00:39 »

Put me down for Civilization as well, I still play Alpha Centauri over LAN sometimes.

Warcraft is another series I've plowed through never played World of War Craft though

Ultima, even played Ultima Online for a while
Space Quest
Kings' Quest
Zork
Commander Keen
Heroes of Might and Magic
Wing Commander (even stuff like Privateer...)
Quake
Mortal Kombat (1 -4, don't know what else has been released since)

Jeez thats a lot more then I thought...

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 06:37 »

First, I DEFINITELY recommend you get a Gamecube for REmake and RE: 0. If you liked the original, the remake will make you shit yourself in gaming bliss. I started playing the series with the release of 2, so I played the original back within two years of its release and the incredible amount of improvement made for the remake is astounding. Every single element of the game is improved, ESPECIALLY the atmosphere. I'm usually an advocate for "graphics are unimportant," but when a game's chief selling point is the atmosphere, the better the graphics, the better the game. The voice acting...still sucks, but hey, I expect it from these games at this point. Play it, you'll be hooked from the opening cinematic alone. I'd actually recommend you get a Wii, if you've got the cash. You can play them on there and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is supposed to be out soon and has the benefits of both the Gamecube (Better visuals) and PS2 (Extra content) versions, plus the motion controls (Which apparently work very exceptionally).

That said, I'm actually a series specific gamer. Unless something gets rave reviews, I tend to stick primarily to established series.

Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Suikoden, Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Lunar, Street Fighter, Streets of Rage, Sonic the Hedgehog (Pre-3D), Chrono, Soul Calibur and Golden Sun come to mind quickly.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 12:37 »

Oh hell - I'd completely forgot about Command and Conquer and Mortal Kombat.

Grrr - gotta' quit this!

:-P
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 13:54 »

Good series:
Warcraft:
The first was groundbreaking. The third was a lot of fun. The second was, and remains to be, one of my all time favorite games and easily one of the best RTS games every made.

Age of Empires:
The first was a lot of fun. The third had great graphics and was a very cool, if not entierly original conceptually, game. The second was, and remains to be, one of my all time favorite games and easily one of the best RTS games every made.

Maybe I'll add more to the list in later. I'm sure there's plenty of others.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 15:14 »

That said, I'm actually a series specific gamer. Unless something gets rave reviews, I tend to stick primarily to established series.

Boo!

However you raise nothing but great points about RE.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2007, 15:35 »

Even if RE4 wasn't from the Resident Evil series, it would still be christ fuckingly, bed shittingly awesome. Seriously, RE4 is one of the best games of the last generation. I bought it on a whim for $20 and that made me guilt for paying so little.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2007, 19:30 »

I want the Wii version to come out soon so I can have something for it besides Paper Mario and Wii Sports.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2007, 20:57 »

Yeah, series-only gaming is bad. People who only buy Halo, GTA, and Madden every time they come out are killing creativity in games. Support smaller developers who create good products!

I'm also waiting on the Wii version of RE4 since I skipped on the Gamecube and PS2 versions. It's also going to only be 30 dollars when it does come out, so that's a bonus! But Johnny, do you not have Twilight Princess or WarioWare?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 06:44 »

I simply don't have the time to play video games I used to, sadly, especially in the summer. Between watching baseball games and going out, I just can't game like I used to. I've had Super Paper Mario for close to two weeks now and haven't gotten the time to play past the first save point.

With that in mind, I said I tend to stick to specific series, not that I play games just because they're part of a series. I've never touched a Madden game (Which I wouldn't call a series as much as an updated franchise), haven't cared for GTA in years and am not particularly big on FPS to begin with, and even at that, Halo's relatively subpar of a shooter. I just tend to stick with stuff that's got a proven track record. With how expensive games are these days and the amount of time you have to put into them, I don't have the luxury to expand too far. Sometimes, this'll bite me in the ass (I love Legacy of Kain, but Blood Omen II was generic garbage), but most times, the big series tend to deliver (Zelda, Resident Evil, Metroid, etc).

I won't specifically skip something over for not being part of a series. One of my top games of last year was Bully. I enjoyed the idea of sandbox gameplay without having to go around beating cops to death (Something I never got that much pleasure out of). I've been dying to play Katamari Damacy, but I haven't had the leisure without a PS2 (I need to buy myself a modded one sooner or later).

When you look into it, though, it falls down to the matter that most of the best games to come out, sadly, are part of a series. Outside of the DS (I still need to finish Hotel Dusk), nobody really releases creative new ideas en masse anymore. If I'm gonna get the same crap over and over, I'm going to go to guys like Miyamoto to shovel feed me it.

I'm also waiting on the Wii version of RE4 since I skipped on the Gamecube and PS2 versions. It's also going to only be 30 dollars when it does come out, so that's a bonus! But Johnny, do you not have Twilight Princess or WarioWare?

Seconded. Last year was the first year in a while where I had trouble making time for every game I was genuinely interested in and Twilight Princess came out at the top of the pack for me, easily. I was enamoured in FF XII, Suikoden V, Wii Sports, Bully and Gears of War, but nothing owned my soul quite as bad as Twilight Princess.

Also, for those not aware, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is, technically, budget priced at $30. I've bought this game twice already (My pitbull managed to get my original copy out of the case and devour it) and am still gonna buy it again.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 11:45 »

But Johnny, do you not have a job?
:(

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2007, 00:28 »

Right right. My bad.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Scytale

« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2007, 12:00 »

I just remembered another awesome series I used to be pretty into, does anyone else remember the Caesar games,  Sierra used to make them, I think Caesar 3 was my favorite.

The Total War games are good too a friend's got me hooked on Rome: total war at the moment.

Oh and speaking of series does Duke Nukem count, there were only 2 and the 3d FPS version, but I used to love Duke 1 and 2, especially the first one, I always thought 2 was a bit too hard.

What ever happened to 2D platformers, I used to love them, stuff like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Prince of Persia, Jill of the Jungle etc, that genre just seemed to die I think consoles probably caused this as I know on the N64 anyway all the old 2d games like Mario and Donkey Kong went 3d, which is a pity cause I really loved those old games and I never got into the 3d stuff, just didn't seem the same. Is anyone still making old school type platformers? Man I might go and see if I can get prince of persia to run on my old box, that game was so awesome.

Man this is making me really nostalgic, I remember when I used to buy games for $5 a floppy disk, then you could get cd's with like 30 games on them for $20. I honestly don't think I would of gotten into prgramming or anything like that if I hadn't had to learn all the dos commands, how to use a hex editor and the debug command (to cheat of course :P), make my own boot disks etc.  I remember I bought a copy of windows '95 (which was a lot of money for me to spend back then) because there was 1 game I really wanted to play (Starcraft) and my Dad refused to upgrade from Windows for Workgroups...

I feel kind of like a Grandpa when I go into Electronics Boutique or something and don't recognise 90% of the games they sell anymore, I guess thats one of the reasons I stick to series I'm familiar with, don't really have the time anymore to play anywhere near as many games as I did when I was a kid.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2007, 05:42 »

I've played all the Fallout games. Yes, even BoS on the PS2.

I've played all the C&C games on PC except 3, which my computer couldn't handle.

I've played all of Blizzard's offerings except the Lost Vikings games.

C&C and Fallout would have to be my two favourite game series Of All Time, though.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up