THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Fuzz  (Read 10128 times)

Fiddler

Hot Fuzz
« on: 20 Apr 2007, 08:12 »

Saw this at a free screening last night and it was hilarious.  Any movie where the main character gets a good excuse to drop kick an old woman in the face is okay by me.  Anyone else get out there and see it?  If not, nows your chance!

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: Hot Fuzz
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2007, 08:31 »

If my theater gets it, I'm there this weekend.

I was flipping through channels last night and they had a preview of it on Reelz. Then Nick and Simon came onto the set and beat up some guy. Nick also claimed that England invented violence. Wish I'd DVR'd the whole deal, it was pretty hilarious.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Utopian

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2007, 09:08 »

Is it not out in America yet? It's brilliant, I adored it! In fact, I think you just mentioned my favourite bit, Fiddler :)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2007, 12:53 »

I was supposed to go see it tonight, but my friend's bitch of a now ex-fiance dumped him, so I'm gonna get drunk with him and watch the Red Sox instead. I'll try and see it Sunday, considering I loved Spaced and Shaun of the Dead.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Yakob

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2007, 13:04 »

I believe I heard a song by The Fratellis in the commercial, so it's a win in my book

Tyrial

• Not quite a lurker
  • Resident Tripod Nut
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2007, 15:33 »

If you haven't seen Hot Fuzz yet, go now! Would it be appropriate to now list favourite moments in the film? (Besides the granny getting fly kicked in the face of course, that needs to made into an avatar)
"There ain't no nothing we can't love each other through" - Tripod

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2007, 20:45 »

I think the granny getting kicked in the face was my favourite part too. I absolutely loved the movie, best thing I have seen all year I think. If you haven't seen it, go now. You must.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2007, 13:28 »

I managed to get out to see it last night. Fucking brilliant.

My favorite part was probably "Were there any problems?" "Uh...ummm...nyarp?" Also, the gunfight had to be about the best movie gunfight I have ever seen.
JON MADE ME GAY

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2007, 22:27 »

*sigh*

my theaters do not have it yet
ever since I saw the trailer I have wanted to see this movie

Utopian

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2007, 04:35 »

I have every intention of buying it on DVD when it comes out. Like Spaced (which I've been rewatching series 2 of this week) there are blatantly tons of geeky references you don't pick up on the first time you see it! I also particularly enjoyed the bit where they're watching DVDs of police films, and Timothy Dalton's whole performance was ace.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2007, 05:41 »

Unfortunately, Spaced hasn't been released on DVD over here in the States. If I want to legitimately own it, I'd need to shell out about $80 for an import edition. That's way more money than I'll ever be willing to pay for a fourteen episode TV show. I ended up downloading them.
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2007, 08:07 »

I want to see it, but it hasn't come out here yet. It looks hilarious. I liked in the preview that they incorporated a bit of Shaun of the Dead into it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2007, 18:20 »

I loved the dude impaling part of his mouth on the model village church steeple.
"Owwww!  Thith really hurth!"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2007, 23:26 »

oh sweet Jesus I loved this movie so much.  hell, I am even tempted to see it again when it comes out for regular theaters (hopefully it will)

By the Power of Gray Skull

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2007, 05:43 »

I might see it a second time, myself. As mentioned, I loved it. I've also got two friends who are dying to see it that haven't yet. Probably gonna see if they want to go this weekend.
JON MADE ME GAY

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:36 »

Just saw it tonight. Brilliant. My housemate's boyfriend reckons it's even funnier than Shaun of the Dead - and I think it might be right. One thing I really loved about it is that, despite all the horrific and appalling violence in the film, none of it was gratuitous. I mean, it's a film about horrific and appalling murders, but it's actually got a much lower body count than any of the films it's taking off: sure, all of the bad guys get hurt, but none of them get killed. I really like that. I hate the way most big-budget Hollywood action flicks treat human life as essentially disposable.

Gotta admit, the bit I laughed longest at was the take-off of the line from Chinatown: "Forget it, Nicholas. It's Sanford." Tee-hee!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 27 Apr 2007, 08:46 »

All of us laughed hardest at the part where Danny's father's getting away and Danny pulls a Point Break. Even better that we were still dying from the swan swerve.
JON MADE ME GAY

Utopian

« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:01 »

Well since this thread has started giving loads away - yeah! I really loved the direct references of other cop films followed by parodying them. Point Break it one of my favourite films, too.

The thing with always going to buy ice cream was cute, and when Danny invited him in for coffee, and Bill Bailey's character made me laugh. But then I always love Bill Bailey. Also Adam (or was it Joe?) from The Adam and Joe Show as the journalist. I haven't seen him on telly for ages. He was probably one of my favourite characters in the film - the only one with a brain at least! All you people talking about it makes me want to see it again right now! :(

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:07 »

Well, I think the US was the last place for it to debut, and it's been a week since it debuted, so I figure screw it. If you haven't seen it by now, you shouldn't be reading forum threads about it.

That having been said: "SWAN!"
JON MADE ME GAY

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:08 »

It was Adam.

I loved the references to Bad Boys II because it is my utter favourite guilty pleasure film. I actually cheered a bit. If I am a bit off my face I will argue with anyone that Bad Boys II is the greatest film all of time. (I don't actually believe it, but it's fun to argue.) I should be ashamed but I'm really not. I love it so much!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #20 on: 27 Apr 2007, 09:15 »

I myself prefer to argue the merits of Airheads when drunk.
JON MADE ME GAY

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2007, 15:38 »

Oh, I am nursing a bit of a crush on Simon Pegg after that one.
Be still, my beating heart.

Utopian

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2007, 04:36 »

Welcome to the club, ampersandwitch - here's your membership card ;)

Oh, of course it was Adam! I'm always plagued by doubt when I make an assertion about which is Adam and which is Joe!

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2007, 05:32 »

I know, it took me ages, but then again they had their names on their tshirts in the Adam and Joe show so that helped. I just remember that Adam is small and Joe is tall.

Hunter_Rose

« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2007, 09:34 »

Why are swans such a big deal in the U.K.?  I mean we have them here, but aside from being real pretty birds it's not that big a deal IMHO.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2007, 10:20 »

They're pretty big and scary and strong. I've been attacked by swans while sitting in a car. They tried to get in the sunroof and pecked the windows! This is because we were eating chips in the car because we were afraid of being attacked by birds if we sat and ate them on a bench by the lake. It turns out they could smell the chips even in the carpark! Can birds actually smell? They KNEW anyway!

Also I think it's illegal for anyone to kill a swan apart from the Queen, or only Royalty can eat swan, something like that. It'm pretty sure it's illegal to kill or injure a swan for us common people anyway. :P All swans belong to the Queen or something. Someone else will know better.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2007, 10:26 »

That so makes me want to eat a swan. I have never even considered the notion of eating a swan, but knowing that in another country, only royalty can do it makes me want to broil one up bad.
JON MADE ME GAY

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2007, 11:03 »

I think you could eat a swan if you're not Royalty if you were being fed it by the Queen at a dinner or something. However I don't think they are actually killed to be eaten by anyone nowadays, but again, I may be wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2007, 22:46 »

i hear their shit is toxic, as in it can poison lakes

at one boy scout camp we were allowed to kill any swan we saw with a shotgun so that it would not poison their lake

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #29 on: 05 May 2007, 07:37 »

Can birds actually smell?

The vast majority of bird species have very poor smell. The old line that you shouldn't handle a bird that's fallen out of a nest because the mother will smell human on the bird and reject it, is untrue: rescue those poor fallen nestlings!  Birds do, however, have incredibly acute eyesight.

Also I think it's illegal for anyone to kill a swan apart from the Queen

Correct! I'm pretty sure that's just in Britain, though. I don't think Queenie owns any of our swans here in Australia. Incidentally, the native swans in Australia are black! In my opinion they're much prettier than white swans, because white swans are usually actually yellow and muddy and mucky looking. As everyone knows, stains don't show up on black clothes nearly as much!

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #30 on: 05 May 2007, 08:24 »

I loved this movie.  I won't elaborate on it any further.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #31 on: 05 May 2007, 22:22 »

I've said it before elsewhere, but I feel like Shaun of the Dead was to Simon Pegg as "Sixth Sense" was to M. Night Shyamalan... in that it rocked so hard, no matter how good the rest of his movies are, they won't be as cool as the first.

That said, my brother brought up a good point... Hot Fuzz was funnier than Shaun of the Dead. It was definitely filled with more humor than SotD.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying all of the movies these guys make :D
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2007, 07:34 »

Am I the only one who hated that film?

Of the I believe eight people who went to see the film with me, I was the only one who didn't think it was fantastic. I hate violent films, even spoof violence, I've never understood why it's funny.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #33 on: 06 May 2007, 11:10 »

You mean like the one scene with the dude and the other dude and all the blood?
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #34 on: 06 May 2007, 12:30 »

Saw this last night with some good friends, and all I can say is, DAMN I wish I'd seen this on the big screen. Not because it wasn't great on my laptop, but because it woulda been even MORE satisfying to share the fun with a whole movie theatre full of people, 'cause it was funny as hell =) pretty stylish, too.

I feel like I'll never hafta watch another cop-film again. And I think I may have lost my appetite for action films in general... because I know that, no matter how the film-industry evolves over the coming years, I'll never again get the satisfaction of seeing a pale British man dropkick a granny in the head for the first time.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 06 May 2007, 14:04 »

My friends and I all went to the theater to see *gag* Spiderman 3 last night, but then my roommate and I saw that Hot Fuzz was showing at the same time and we were like "Yeah booooooooy!" and we went and saw it and it was the most goddamn excellent buddy cop action movie ever made, goddammit.

It's not even fair. Wright and Pegg shouldn't be allowed to make movies anymore, because everything they do outclasses any movie in the genres they're parodying/homaging.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #36 on: 06 May 2007, 18:29 »

Am I the only one who hated that film?

I believe so.

From people I know who've seen it, the reviews I've heard range anywhere from "Fucking awesome" to "OMGZ BEST MOVIE EVAR!!!"
JON MADE ME GAY

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2007, 22:01 »

all that is right with the world

adritha

« Reply #38 on: 08 May 2007, 01:58 »

Obsessions, I think that range of answers sums it up pretty well. I seriously couldn't stop laughing. I love funny movies that actually manage to have a decent plot. SO GOOD!!! :police:

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #39 on: 08 May 2007, 05:40 »

My rule of thumb from henceforth is: anyone who didn't like it was drunk and accidentally ended up in a showing of Spider-Man 3.
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #40 on: 10 May 2007, 21:00 »

I just got back from this movie about two hours ago and holy shit it was awesome. Extremely funny, and the action was actually better than a lot of pure action movies. A+++ WOULD SEE LIKE ANOTHER 40 TIMES
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there
Pages: [1]   Go Up