THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 11:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electronic relaxing music  (Read 7161 times)

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
Electronic relaxing music
« on: 17 May 2007, 13:49 »

Yeah, just trying to find some new sources auf music for me..

SO, does anyone here listen to those stuff? Something like Goa or Dub? Does anyone know any good sources, where I could get something like this?
I am running out of music, the tracks I have on my computer are getting boring with time, more aggressive than floating water is making me feel uncomfortable (there has just to be a overdriven guitar or some other non-smooth sound) and so I am just getting more and more uncomfortable, because I really need music.
Any suggestions?

Only thing coming to my mind is Burning Babylon, but it's quite different to order that in Germany. Espacially because I don't know how to handle PayPal.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 14:52 by Antsan »
Bad English? Sorry, I'm from Germany...

The serious side of life is just a childish imagination.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Re: Electronic chilling music
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2007, 14:44 »

Well, I saw the thread title and immediately thought, "Aphex Twin". Then I realised you probably mean "chilling" as in "relaxing" not as in "will give you nightmares", so my next thought was "Boards of Canada".

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
Re: Electronic chilling music
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2007, 14:53 »

Oh. Chilling is not the same as relaxing? So I will change the topic...

Boards of Canada? Thanks, I will search for that.
Edit: Yeah, found it! And it's good! Thanks for that one.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 15:02 by Antsan »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Electronic relaxing music
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2007, 15:01 »

Boards of Canada is seconded.  Definitely relaxing. 
Disco Biscuits are half-electronic, half-relaxing, but I like 'em. 
Coil's album 'Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1' is pretty good too.
And Grandaddy. 
And some of Ulver's later stuff.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Gryff

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2007, 15:06 »

Well it can be the same as relaxing - as in "just chilling with my homeboys, dogg" - but it can also be used to describe something that fills you with dread - as in "the chilling sight of a hundred zombies, shambling relentlessly towards him". English, eh? Pretty wacky!

If you're going to sample some Boards of Canada, try the album Music Has The Right To Children.

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2007, 15:11 »

Hehe, I've just known chilling as sitting somewhere in the edge of a room and beeing half asleep. :-D

grandaddy seems good, too.

Hmmm, it's maybe a little early to say something like that, but it seems Dub isn't listen to so much.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 15:15 »

Aphex Twin's 'Selected Ambient Works' are two great albums that may well meet your needs.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Gryff

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2007, 15:31 »

Man, I could tell you about some dub, seriously - there is shitloads of it coming out of New Zealand. It's not something I listen to much, but there is lots of good stuff. Check out Rhombus (dub/hip hop), Fat Freddy's Drop (dub/reggae-ish) or Shapeshifter (dub/drum n bass). Good albums to check out from these guys would be Bass Player, Based on a True Story, and Soulstice, respectively. Let me know if you like 'em and I can point you in the direction of more.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 15:42 »

If you're going to sample some Boards of Canada, try the album Music Has The Right To Children.

That has a chilling murder dialogue though.

Gryff

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 15:47 »

There's nothing relaxing about murder, Dan.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2007, 18:02 »

Goa is anything but relaxing, I'd say.

A lot of my favourite electronic listening music comes from Germany, if you want suggestions from your country.

Regarding dub, here are some suggestions regarding the originators in the 70s.

Yabby U - King Tubby's Prophecy of Dub
Burning Spear - Garvey's Ghost
King Tubby And Friends - Dub Gone Crazy (The Evolution Of Dub At King Tubby's 1975-1979)
Scientist - Dub In The Roots Tradition

At the other end of the scale, the most minimal dub stuff that's happening now is Rhythm & Sound, operating out of Berlin.  They used to release housey techno but have gone increasingly into dub territory.  Try 'Rhythm & Sound with the Artists' or 'Versions' (that's the isntrumental version).  It's absolutely incredible sound design, but a lot of people find it very boring.  They're wrong. ;)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2007, 21:09 »

Try Proem.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2007, 04:33 »

Fat Freddys Drop is exactly what I was searching for! Thanks for that!

@fish:
Goa isn't relaxing? Not all Goa is relaxing, but mostly...

A lot of my favourite electronic listening music comes from Germany, if you want suggestions from your country.
Yeh, I think that would be best. :-D

Burning Spear sounds good, but it's a little bit... loud? Something for later, I think.
For Yabby U, King Tubby and Scientist I couldn't find any samples, so those will wait. I won't buy blind, even if King Tubby is the father of Dub.

@Jeph:
Proem is way to aggressive for me, but maybe I just got the wrong tracks.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2007, 04:56 »

Ok, not dub at all and more along the lines of Aphex Twin's SAW albums (and those are not that great if you ask me) is Loscil's First Narrows album and to a lesser extent their other albums which are in a similar vein but not nearly so good. They're on the label Kranky if you're gonna look for a sample.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2007, 04:57 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2007, 05:20 »

FREq - Strange Attractors
Wrecked Machines - Blink
SynSUN - Unstoppable (CD 2)*

*If you only hear one CD on this list, make it this one. Brilliant Ukrainian psy record, the first CD is fairly standard trance/dance fare but the second CD is all progressive n' relaxed n' shit.

fish across face

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2007, 05:20 »

Yeh, I think that would be best. :-D
OK then!  Here's some German electronic music I think is rather lovely, and which is really quiet.

Dettinger - Intershop
Mapstation - Distance Told Me Things To Be Said
Burnt Friedman & The Nu Dub Players - Just Landed!
To Rococo Rot - The Amateur View
Pole - LP 1
Gramm - Personal Rock

In general you could try browsing some of the stuff on the Berlin-based label scape - it released two of the above albums, and is run by Pole.  Indie suckers looking for electronic relaxation often enjoy a lot of things on another Berlin-based label called Morr Music.

That said, none of this is much like Fat Freddy's Drop.  If that is what you are looking for you could investigate Sonarkollektiv, which is the label that released some of their stuff in Germany.  From memory they're released on Kartel in the UK, so you could also check that out.  I heard Fat Freddy's Drop through a DJ called Gilles Peterson who has a regular radio show that plays a lot of music like that.  He might have mixes on the net or streaming shows via the BBC.  His show is called Gilles Peterson Worldwide.

Jed

« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2007, 06:21 »

Alexander Chereshnev is good. You can get his and a lot of other artists music for free at Kahvi.org. It's a place for good independent electronic music.
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2007, 08:02 »

You know who gets no love at all but is one of the best modern ambient musicians of today?? Eluvium. I just grabbed Copia off teh torrents and it is unspeakably beautiful stuff. He kind of takes it all the way back to Eno's first ambient album by using piano and strings.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2007, 10:19 »

They're a little dancey at times, but Thunderball does the trick for me.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2007, 12:57 »

DJ Shadow.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

The extra letter

« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2007, 14:45 »

The Album Leaf might fit this category quite nicely...
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2007, 20:50 »

You know who gets no love at all but is one of the best modern ambient musicians of today?? Eluvium. I just grabbed Copia off teh torrents and it is unspeakably beautiful stuff. He kind of takes it all the way back to Eno's first ambient album by using piano and strings.

I was going to mention Eluvium but I always bring up Eluvium so I decided to pass this time. But I have to second the reccomendation. I briefly met Eluvium (Matthew Cooper) at one of his shows in New York. I've seen him a couple of times live and he was incredibly nice and humble and almost uncomfortable with praise. Anywho his work is plain brilliant. Some of the best ambient work I've ever heard in fact. For really relaxing stuff I'd actually give his first and third albums a listen ('Lambent Material' and 'Talk Amongst the Trees') perhaps even over 'Copia'. There's simply a denser sound in these earlier albums which are more conduscive to falling into a deep sleep. I don't know if I've ever seen someone manipulate a simple guitar in such beautiful ways so definetly check out this guys stuff. It should definetly suit the needs of any relaxing music seeker.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Mobius_Logic

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2007, 21:38 »

Small Sails, definatly. Theyre a local(ish) band from portland.

Everyone here should listen. It will please you in ways indescribable.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=41904525

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2007, 03:16 »

James Figurine.
It's relaxing because his singing is more talking. And its just really apathetic.
The album is called "mistake mistake mistake mistake"

fish across face

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2007, 03:51 »

If you like that he has also done several good albums as Dntel and another good one as half of the Postal Service.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2007, 17:23 »

I was going to mention Eluvium but I always bring up Eluvium so I decided to pass this time. But I have to second the reccomendation. I briefly met Eluvium (Matthew Cooper) at one of his shows in New York. I've seen him a couple of times live and he was incredibly nice and humble and almost uncomfortable with praise. Anywho his work is plain brilliant. Some of the best ambient work I've ever heard in fact. For really relaxing stuff I'd actually give his first and third albums a listen ('Lambent Material' and 'Talk Amongst the Trees') perhaps even over 'Copia'. There's simply a denser sound in these earlier albums which are more conduscive to falling into a deep sleep. I don't know if I've ever seen someone manipulate a simple guitar in such beautiful ways so definetly check out this guys stuff. It should definetly suit the needs of any relaxing music seeker.

Yeah, Copia isn't anything like I expected. It's much more like a soundtrack/instrumental album than the ambient/drone/soundscape material I imagined. If I recall correctly it's almost all piano and strings, with maybe some synths and samples.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2007, 18:44 »

You're right. Of course whenever he performs material from 'Copia' live it's all on his laptop or done differently with more guitar and such. Seeing him play live is a really incredible experience b/c the music is so loud and dense and seeing one person create that is truly impressive.

Hollow Press (my blog)

M4

« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2007, 01:29 »

If you can anything of his stuff, auroranoise is as rather soothing.

adara

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jun 2007, 22:13 »

I second Mobius Logic's choice of Small Sails; "Similar Anniversaries" is quite nice.

You might also want to look into Jatun's self-titled release. I have been enjoying that lately.

However, I highly recommend B. Fleischmann's "The Humbucking Coil." I've been listening to it a lot recently and it is superb. There are two tracks with vocals on them which are probably the weakest on the album, but the purely instrumental tracks are fantastic. So far this is all I've heard by him, but I'm probably going to look into buying his back catalog because I love The Humbucking Coil so much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up