THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am becoming a fan of Tortoise  (Read 2395 times)

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
I am becoming a fan of Tortoise
« on: 18 May 2007, 23:01 »

This is a good thing, right?  Of course it is.
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: I am becoming a fan of Tortoise
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 23:24 »

It's a great thing.

I don't know how much you've heard but their recent rarities comp, A Lazarus Taxon, is possibly one of the best box sets I've ever heard.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2007, 07:22 »

I really don't think Tortoise have ever put out a sub par album. I love all their stuff.

Going to see them in June!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 07:37 »

Me too!  June 16th, I am pumped.

I got into Tortoise completely by accident by picking up TNT on a whim because I thought I had herd the name somewhere.  Best impulse purchase I ever made.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2007, 08:43 »

Even It's All Around You? I just listened to that through and it seemed really bland. Is this just a weaker album or is there some other Tortoise that is actually really good?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 09:21 »

It's All Around You is okay

get TNT though. It's easily their best, I think.

And their album with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy is so good
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2007, 15:06 »

?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2007, 17:26 »

It's All Around You is their weakest album, if only because all the others are so great and distinctive.

I picked up Standards on a whim because I always saw their albums in my local record store and thought the covers were fascinating. I rarely buy music based on the cover art nowadays, but it was certainly more exciting to listen to that album with a strange preconceived notion of what the music would be like. Anymore I read up so obsessively on albums before I even listen to them that I'm not as surprised by music as much as I used to be.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2007, 19:06 »

The album with Bonnie Prince Billy is so great

Yes it is. That album got me into Tortoise. Their cover of the Bosses Thunder Road is a particular highlight.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2007, 23:48 »

If anyone likes early Tortoise (so far all the stuff mentioned is the post-Pro Tools-using stuff) I'd thoroughly recommend the self-titled album by Directions In Music that contains various members, including one of the founders who has left, Bundy K. Brown.  He has a good touch for the psychedelic which I've found a bit lacking in Tortoise of late.  I do love 'TNT' though.  I sold 'Standards' within a year of buying it, just never found any of it very enjoyable.  Plus it was mastered horribly loud for my tastes. :|

My favourite single Tortoise track is Goriri off the first 'Macro Dub Infection' compilation.  Dunno if you can pick it up or if it's compiled anywhere, so I'll upload it if anyone's interested.  Really different from other things of theirs, the whole structure keeps falling away... super duper stripped back bass wobble and awkward looping shit.

I love that the album with Bonnie Prince Billy is so distinctive.  I don't like the results, but it's cool that it sounds different from expectations.

I saw Tortoise live a couple of years back but unfortunately it was just as good as I'd hoped for... I was bored for almost the whole thing...
Pages: [1]   Go Up