THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 16:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down  (Read 2105 times)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down
« on: 18 May 2007, 02:46 »

I bought this book awhile back but I haven't had a chance to read it. I'm finishing up The World According To Garp right now, and I have two books I could read after this. One is this Hornby book, and the other is The Face by Koontz. So has anybody read A long Way Down? Is it any good?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
Re: Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 06:20 »

Yup, I've read it, and I really liked it. Then again, I've liked almost everything I've read by Nick Hornby, so yeah. I suck at explaining why I like things, so I'll just shut up now.

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 14:26 »

I started reading it, liked the first half and kinda sidetracked and never finished it.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

alongwaltz

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 19:07 »

Yeah, I enjoyed this, but I've enjoyed all of Hornby's books.

I'd probably put this higher than How To Be Good, but on par with High Fidelity and About A Boy.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2007, 11:49 »

I've read it and...

Well, I liked it. But I didn't OVERLY like it, if you get my meaning. That is to say, I enjoyed reading it, but didn't think it was amazing.

The story kind of meandered a bit, but did so intentionally. A Long Way Down just seemed so insistent on sticking to 'reality.' It's a very 'real' book, the characters feel like they're real people, they make flawed, realistic decisions, and there are no life-changing moments, like there often aren't in life. This seemed to be as much the book's greatest flaw as it was its greatest strength. The entire book seemed to be an excersize by Hornby to see just how noncommittal a resolution he could get away with. Given, his endings for Fever Pitch, About A Boy, High Fidelity weren't the type of resolutions you typically read, they still had a sense of wrapping up the story to them that I felt, because of its decision to stick to 'reality,' A Long Way Down lacked.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up