THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Biz Question  (Read 2120 times)

music fop

Music Biz Question
« on: 18 May 2007, 12:34 »

Hi, I'm a young composer and I'm trying to get some of my works published.  How exactly does one go about getting published, copyrighting, etc.?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Music Biz Question
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 12:55 »

Anything you create yourself is automatically copyrighted by you. You just need to be able to prove it, i.e. post a tape of it to yourself and don't open it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 23:45 »

You're from the US, right?

I'm not sure how it works there, but I know in Australia one thing to do is to join APRA, which protects copyrights on behalf of artists/composers and also organises royalties from usage of the intellectual property.

I imagine there would be an equivalent organisation in the US, although I couldn't find which one exactly from my cursory Internet searches.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

John Curtin

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 06:16 »

You're doing a composition major right?  Ask one of your lecturers/tutors about it; I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you out.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2007, 09:50 »

If I understand what the APRA does correcttly, the American equivalent should be ASCAP or SESAC. I know they are the organizations that represent bands and singer/songwriters and the like, I'm sure this would fall under the same category.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."
Pages: [1]   Go Up