THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 10:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PETER LINDGREN LEFT OPETH.  (Read 6078 times)

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
PETER LINDGREN LEFT OPETH.
« on: 17 May 2007, 11:51 »

From OPETH.COM

"Peter Lindgren has stepped down from his guitar wielding duties after 16 years in Opeth. Below is an open letter from Peter addressing the issue:

"It is with sadness I announce that Opeth and I are going separate ways after almost 16 years. The decision has been the toughest I've ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life.

The reason behind this is that I feel that I simply have lost some of the enthusiasm and inspiration needed to participate in a band that has grown from a few guys playing the music we love to a world-wide industry. The love of music has always been, and still is, our motive, but I personally have lost something along the way. The massive amount of touring has taken its toll. Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don't feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier. I have come to a point where I realize I won't be able to give the band 100%, and from both sides this will not be good enough for what Opeth stands for. I will always love playing, listening to, and living music, but I will do it differently from now on.

These years has easily been the best of my life and I will always cherish the memory of what we have experienced together. I would like to thank the band, our management, record label people, all the bands I've made friends with for everything. Most of all, I would like to thank the fans from the depth of my heart for the support throughout the years.

I wish Mikael, Martin, Per and Axe all the best and I am confident they will continue doing the greatest music in the world!! /Peter"

Supposedly the ex-guitarist from Arch-Enemy is taking his place. Even so, fuck that shit!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY....
Hate, rain on me

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: PETER LINDGREN LEFT OPETH.
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2007, 15:05 »

Fredrik Akkeson or Christopher Amott?  They'll be able to pull it off just fine.  I wouldn't be too worried.   Of course, it's always sad to see a member of band that's been there for such a long time leave, but I'm fairly positive that their musical integrity will remain intact.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2007, 15:44 »

So we have two options for this thread:

1. Opeth fans Vs. Opeth haters.
2. Musicians playing in small bands and smaller scenes, keeping their 'enthusiasm' alive Vs. big musicians, signed to major labels that tour extensively, making music their job.

Lets make this a good thread, shall we?
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 15:55 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2007, 15:52 »

Well, at least I got to see them live before he left. I'm honestly not quite sure how to feel about this. I personally have felt that Opeth's last few albums have been a bit disappointing, so maybe a new guitarist will revitalize them. That's the optimistic view, at least.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2007, 19:06 »

This is bad news... Peter Lindgren, you will be missed.

But I'm not too worried, if at all. Mikael writes the majority of the music, so nothing should really change.

Oh, and Fredrik Akkeson is confirmed as the new guitarist.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2007, 19:07 by Objects inside Clouds »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2007, 20:50 »

Aw, that's too bad. At least he got while the getting was good. More power to the dude.

Dude from Arch Enemy is replacing him? Oh man. The concept of a hyper-melodic AE/Opeth hybrid, however unlikely, makes my mouth water.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 21:02 »

It's a dude from Arch Enemy, not the dude from Arch Enemy. I don't know how much Akkeson was really involved with the songwriting for Arch Enemy. Hypothetically he would still bring their style, but I would say we can't really know for sure.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2007, 21:08 »

Yeah as I recall the Amott brother who's still in the band does (did?) most of the songwriting.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 21:44 »

Maybe now they'll suck a bit less?

ok, I don't really hate Opeth, but they're supremely overrated, and based on interviews I've read, Mikael Akerfeldt (sp?) is a tool.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 21:49 »

Michael Amott is the brother still in Arch Enemy who is the main songwriter for the band and always has been. Christopher was there also for a while but not anymore.

And actually from when I saw them live Akerfeldt was a great frontman with a genuinely funny sense of humor. Plus, he guested on an Ayreon album so I can't really hate him.

Scytale

« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2007, 00:42 »

Jeph, if you like the shredding in Arch enemy you need to listen to Heartwork by Carcass, Bill Steer and Michael Amott = Awesome

As for Peter leaving, it's quite a bummer as he's been with them for a long time, I really hope he's leaving has nothing to do with the direction they're sound is heading.

M4

« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2007, 00:42 »

Dude from Arch Enemy is replacing him? Oh man. The concept of a hyper-melodic AE/Opeth hybrid, however unlikely, makes my mouth water.

I don't care how unlikely it is, half the forum is still going to drown in my Metal fan-boy drool.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2007, 01:20 »

Possible, but while Opeth are overrated, it doesn't change the fact that it's an extremely good band.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2007, 02:04 »

Possible, but while Opeth are overrated, it doesn't change the fact that it's an extremely good band.

I would dispute that. They're a decent band. Slightly above Mediocre.

Admittedly, I'd probably like them a bit more if they weren't so overrated.. But seriously they're not that good. Very repetitive, very boring.. And this si coming from someone who likes drone!

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2007, 06:33 »

They're considered progressive, actually. If you don't like progressive music, then you probably won't like Opeth. They're no Dream Theater or Symphony X, but as someone who greatly enjoys both death metal and progressive metal, Opeth are an interesting alternative to Death and similar bands of an era past. Except that Opeth still put out music.
Plus, Opeth is actually made of really good musicians. Not really disputable, you don't have to like the music, but it's hard to ignore how good they actually are.

Scytale

« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2007, 06:56 »

Green Carnation are my favorite Progressive Metal band at the moment, their not as technical as bands like Dream Theater but I think they are much better song writers.

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #16 on: 18 May 2007, 07:06 »

They're considered progressive, actually. If you don't like progressive music, then you probably won't like Opeth. They're no Dream Theater or Symphony X, but as someone who greatly enjoys both death metal and progressive metal, Opeth are an interesting alternative to Death and similar bands of an era past. Except that Opeth still put out music.
Plus, Opeth is actually made of really good musicians. Not really disputable, you don't have to like the music, but it's hard to ignore how good they actually are.

for followers of both genre's they are quite a blend...the only others who do it well are edge of sanity
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #17 on: 18 May 2007, 16:38 »

Green Carnation are my favorite Progressive Metal band at the moment, their not as technical as bands like Dream Theater but I think they are much better song writers.

Arguably true, since DT writes songs based around how much musical wank they can fit in. Don't get me wrong, I love DT for that.

for followers of both genre's they are quite a blend...the only others who do it well are edge of sanity

If only Death were still with us.  :cry:

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #18 on: 18 May 2007, 22:06 »

oh god Death was so good
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2007, 23:40 »

Actually Chris Amott is back in Arch Enemy.

i don't know how much of a fit Fred Akesson is gonna be in Opeth. Arch Enemy and Opeth are kind of leagues apart in terms of guitar styles. I guess seeing as he's basically just gonna be playing whatever is written for him it won't matter too much... But I think Opeth could still find a better fit than him.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2007, 01:05 »

Steven Wilson would be my choice if he could multi-band.
Hate, rain on me

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2007, 20:47 »

i don't know how much of a fit Fred Akesson is gonna be in Opeth. Arch Enemy and Opeth are kind of leagues apart in terms of guitar styles.

Oh definitely. AE is all about really obvious riffs played blindingly fast while Michael Amott solos over them. Opeth are about complicated chords (oh god the opening to The Drapery Falls or the quiet part in Blackwater Park ow my hands) and surprisingly math-y riffing (oh christ pretty much all of The Leper Affinity ow ow ow hands).

But I feel like if Akesson can keep up with Amott he'll do fine in Opeth. A lot of AE songs are harder to play than complicated Opeth tracks simply because you have to be able to palm-mute so goddamned fast.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2007, 21:32 »

I love the opening to Drapery Falls. Hell, I love all of that song.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2007, 22:08 »

The intro to The Drapery Falls (and when they reprise that riff again later in the song) is just one of thos perfect passages of music. Tingles every time.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Scytale

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2007, 23:31 »

I've never been a huge fan of Blackwater Park (the album), I dunno what it is I just have trouble getting enthused about it.

The Opeth Riff that really gets me every time is the 8:20 or so riff in "The Night and the Silent Water"

Not the most technical riff but the way it's executed is brilliant, When the electric comes in over the top of the acoustic, amazing, the whispered vocals over the top of the lot give me the shivers. One of the most haunting pieces of music I've heard.

The intro riff (the first one with distortion)in The Apostle in Triumph is pretty godly as well, so slow and tormented, hell that whole song is amazing

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 19 May 2007, 23:34 »

Speaking of which, Scytale, I never did manage to find a torrent of Morningrise. Would you mind uploading it?

Scytale

« Reply #26 on: 19 May 2007, 23:37 »

mmk I'll pm you it when it's done (might take a while)

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2007, 02:45 »

One of these days I will get my lazy arse around to getting into Opeth. I just can't be fucked, quite frankly.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: [1]   Go Up