THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 18:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confirmed! Final Fantasy 4 coming to DS!  (Read 7886 times)

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer
Confirmed! Final Fantasy 4 coming to DS!
« on: 10 May 2007, 04:12 »

It's been confirmed. Sqeenix is making a new remake of Final Fantasy 4 (2 to SNES users) for release on the DS.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/cecil-b--deformed/kotaku-magu-final-fantasy-iv-ds-confirmed-259068.php

jarska

Re: Confirmed! Final Fantasy 4 coming to DS!
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2007, 04:54 »

It's 2 for stupid people with no respect for history, but hey... Good news.  :-D

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2007, 06:16 »

Or it's 2 to people who, y'know, don't get so hardcore into the series that they follow the details of its history in an entirely different region.

I know it as 4, as I didn't even get into the series until the late nineties and thus didn't play it as two, but the vast majority of gamers outside of Japan who have been playing the series since before the Anthologies (Y'know, the ones who ACTUALLY have some real history in it) originally played it as 2 and there's nothing wrong with them recognizing it as such.

That said, this is rather good in the sense it opens the door for them to potentially remake V and VI, my two favorites of the series from the SNES era. I never much cared for IV, though I'll pick this up as I'm curious to see what they changed and the fact that if sales are lacking, they'll probably never do the others.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2007, 12:01 »

Haven't they re-released this fuckin' game enough? You can play the damn GBA version on your DS if you want to.
Hate, rain on me

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2007, 15:32 »

I've never played FFIV for more than 5 hours, so I am actually really excited about this. Especially because the DS needs some RPGs badly. Oh and I personally thought the FFIII remake was damn good and a fun, pretty straight forward RPG.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2007, 20:49 »

Eh, I have the GBA port, so I probably won't buy this.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2007, 23:06 »

Imagine a closed fist.

Imagine the middle finger slowly raising into the air.

Imagine the fist becoming giant and stone, the finger reaching high into the clouds.

Imagine a door opening in the fist and a million little fist with middle fingers start walking out on little legs.

Imagine them all doing a little song and dance number where the only lyrics are "Fuck you Squenix, make some new games!"

Imagine all of those fingers raping the asses of every single port and remake team at Squenix, then the executives.

You're approaching my hatred of the company these days.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2007, 23:41 »

with this news I am only slightly happy since I rather enjoyed FF3, but more ticked off

I imagine myself in a warehouse, dressed nicely in a suit and tie, a boom box resting against my leg, and some shadowed person tied to a chair with a Square Enix t-shirt being the only really thing that distinguishes them from any one else.  I ask them a simple question, "Where is my Kingdom Hearts 3?"  They do not answer, instead they tell me that they are re-releasing another NES Final Fantasy game, from back in the day when all I actually cared about NES was that it had Duck Hunt and Super Mario, and maybe Robo Cop and Battletoads, but that is a big maybe.  I repeat my question and they answer me with the fact that there will be many versions of Final Fantasy 13.  That is when I press the play button on the boom box and Stuck in the Middle With You starts to play.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2007, 23:44 by Blue Kitty »

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2007, 00:11 »

Actually, it's a remake of a SNES game, but that makes me even more iffy about it.

Spinless

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2007, 07:33 »

The game is being COMPLETELY remade. It's not just a lazy port. And a lot of people (me) didn't pick up the GBA version. I imagine it'll play like a fairly new game but with the ff4 plot.
I am DEFINITELY picking this up.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2007, 08:37 »

People seem to be ignoring that part. You'd be surprised how much a full-out remake can make a game feel like something entirely different and improved. Anyone else play the Resident Evil remake? The original was literally only about a generation and five years removed from the remake, but was still a completely different game that was improved in every conceivable manner. Final Fantasy IV is, what, fifteen years old now (1992 feels right)? Not to mention, the DS's control scheme allows for a lot more than a complete graphical overhaul.
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2007, 08:54 »

I know that I for one never finished Resident Evil 1 until the remake for Gamecube. RE1 did not age well at all; it was a fantastic game in its day, but everything in it was made archaic and frustrating within a year or two. I'm not saying that FFIV hasn't aged well or that it needs a remake, but I'm not going to complain because it means they're finally moving away from rehashing FF I and II over and over. Seriously, does anyone actually want to play the PSP version??

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2007, 09:58 »

"It's LIKE a new game, but isn't!" isn't really resonating as a good thing.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2007, 11:53 »

Wow, Ozy, you certainly raise a good Halo! What Katamari I see. Have you ever Zelda a Final Fantasy I-XII?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2007, 11:55 »

Oh I guess what I'm saying there is "like a new game but isn't" isn't really a brand new thing because developers are constantly releasing sequels which are really really similar to previous games but with marginal updates and as a result playing them feels only slightly different from playing the predecessors but they are good games anyways.

Incidentally maybe someone who buys this DS port hasn't played the GBA port and would like the version that is completely overhauled? Perhaps that is the target audience?

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2007, 12:31 »

linky linky bo binky

Left is the new one, right is the SNES version. (Pics shamelessly stolen from the above link.)

I'm thrilled about this - FF2 was my favourite game when I was a kid. (Seriously, Meteos was the ultimate spell ever. Kain's jump technique was the greatest FF attack ever. The airship theme song was the greatest video game song ever.)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2007, 12:41 »

Oh I guess what I'm saying there is "like a new game but isn't" isn't really a brand new thing because developers are constantly releasing sequels which are really really similar to previous games but with marginal updates and as a result playing them feels only slightly different from playing the predecessors but they are good games anyways.

Well, then you chose the wrong series to indicate that, since Halo sucks, the only 3D Zeldas I've liked are Wind Waker and Majora's Mask (which were criticized for being too different), Final Fantasy can, as previously indicated, go to hell, and Katamari is completely burned out now.

In fact, the only series I can think of that I'll buy that argument with is Super Smash Bros. which there's only 3 of.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2007, 13:34 »

I am about 90% sure you are completely insane.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2007, 19:22 »

Well, then you chose the wrong series to indicate that, since Halo sucks, the only 3D Zeldas I've liked are Wind Waker and Majora's Mask (which were criticized for being too different), Final Fantasy can, as previously indicated, go to hell, and Katamari is completely burned out now.

In fact, the only series I can think of that I'll buy that argument with is Super Smash Bros. which there's only 3 of.

So basically you're offended that they'd remake a game you've already played to death, but you're not willing to concede that there are people out there who've never played ANY of the iterations and are looking forward to this DS 3Dmake?? Because I am the kind of person this game is aimed at, and while I have played all of the iterations thus far, none of them have managed to hold my attention because of the dated gameplay and graphics (admittedly, that's subjective, but even the GBA remake doesn't look or play as good as latter 16 bit RPGs IMO).

Manix

« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2007, 19:56 »

I have every intention of buying this game th eminute it comes to the states, and you know it will. This will be the third time i've bought it. I missed out on 2, but later got the PS remake, and the GBA version.

Now where's my DS Chrono Trigger port?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2007, 00:49 »

OK, in general:

A) Fuck Kingdom Hearts. Seriously.

B) I would pay like, 60 dollars for a DS Chrono Trigger remake. What the hell, Squeenix.

C) Yes, Square rehashes its classic games a lot. So the fuck what? Nintendo does it too, and it doesn't stop them from making new games as well. If you don't like it, don't buy it and don't bitch. Again, I probably won't buy this one just because I already own the game, but it's not like I'm pissed at Square for doing it.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2007, 17:24 »

OK, in general:

B) I would pay like, 60 dollars for a DS Chrono Trigger remake. What the hell, Squeenix.

C) Yes, Square rehashes its classic games a lot. So the fuck what? Nintendo does it too, and it doesn't stop them from making new games as well. If you don't like it, don't buy it and don't bitch. Again, I probably won't buy this one just because I already own the game, but it's not like I'm pissed at Square for doing it.

Somebody get this man a drink, because I agree completely with what he said. And it was delivered in such a handy format, too!!

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2007, 22:42 »

Chrono Trigger port = Good idea. Better than porting a recently-ported game.
Hate, rain on me

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #23 on: 12 May 2007, 23:01 »

OK, in general:

Golden Chocobo Award.

I'm sort of with Ozymandias on C though.  Instead of doing nothing but fanservice, they really should start doing more new stuff, it's kinda how they got into the position of buying Enix (I'm talking about Square now).  Create a few more games that have unending iterations.  I am completely fine with them 3Ding the DS ports, but at the same time I wish they would've left that alone and struck out on another venture instead.  I'm not pissed at Squeenix either, but you have to admit, they're somewhat stagnant in the innovation department.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Manix

« Reply #24 on: 13 May 2007, 05:53 »

Man, i'm glad i'm not the only one who wants a Chrono Trigger port. It woul work just fine on the DS, and it can easily handle games of the Super NES era. I'm not sure if I would prefer a full on remake, or just a port with some new parts and extras.

I hate to nitpick, but Square didn't buy Enix, They merged after "FINAL FANTASY: The Spirits within" bombed, and left Square in major financial loss. It really doesn't make sense that anyone would buy Enix, as they publish the most successful RPG in Japan, Dragon Quest.

What i'd really love to see is a DS remake of "Phantasy Star IV: The end of the millenium." Full-on! Just like FFIII, and this game. You'd pay 60 bucks for CT? I'd pay a 100 bucks for this.

EDIT: Of course, people who played the original on the Genesis payed 100 bucks for it there, so I don't know if that's saying much.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 06:12 by Manix »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 13 May 2007, 10:21 »

You won't get it. Final Fantasy isn't in the title.

Hell, the only time they've ever re-released Chrono Trigger was under a Final Fantasy name.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 13 May 2007, 10:26 »

The fact is, Square is still making new games, but they realize that they sell games based on the strength of their brands. Final Fantasy XII and especially XI are pretty different from all of the previous ones, but Square stuck the Final Fantasy name on them because they knew that would sell those games. Coming up, they've got a new Mana game, obviously all the FFXIII stuff, DQIX and the crazy Wii spinoffs, a new MMO, and two brand-new games: It's A Wonderful World and Last Remnant. Maybe a lot of those are spinoffs, but they're different games in most cases, and as previously stated, Square is a business interested in making profits, and they do so on the strength of their brands. I'm afraid I don't quite see the argument for ''Square isn't making new games."

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2007, 10:38 »

I just looked up It's A Wonderful World. What a completely insane-sounding game.

Does anyone remember Square's genre incursions? I'm thinking especially of The Bouncer right now, but also Parasite Eve. I wish they would do stuff like that. I guess Project Sylpheed counts but I never played it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2007, 10:40 »

I WANT THEM TO GO BACK TO THE GODDAMN FRANCHISES THEY FORGOT, DAMMIT.

Parasite Eve 3? Chrono Break? Actraiser 3? Any of those sounding appealing? Because the names alone make me feel funny in my pants.

Make PE3 in a hybrid RE4/RPG style. Make a 3D Actraiser (like the original game, not the abomination unto the Master that was Actraiser 2). Make Chrono Break a mixture of the concepts of Trigger and Cross: move back and forth in time and across alternate timelines. Split off a timeline in the past to visit it in the future, retaining previous timelines that had been created!
« Last Edit: 13 May 2007, 11:16 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2007, 10:54 »

I have an old PS2 launch mag with pictures of Parasite Eve 3 in it. Some nights before I retire I sit by the fire with a glass of brandy, turn to that page in the magazine and reminisce upon those days.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #30 on: 13 May 2007, 23:45 »

FUCK YOU, SQUENIX

In case it's not clear: That's Aya Brea. That's a big 3. And that's for a Japanese cell phone service.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2007, 08:20 »

Look, she's killing herself it's so depressing.

rasufelle

« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2007, 10:13 »

While the Final Fantasy IV remake does look quite impressive- and, should I ever shell out the money for a DS again, I'll buy it, guaranteed- I have to admit that simply remaking the old Final Fantasy games is getting old.  Final Fantasy III was one thing- it had never had a stateside release.  However, the DS has, if you really think about it, just as much power, if not resolution, as the N64, Ninty's last system to use dual 32-bit processors, and much better disc space, from what I've seen.  So, tell me, are graphical updates enough?  If it came down to it, I'd much rather see a FFVII DS remake.  Why?  One, because it hasn't been done, though there are still those demo videos for the PS3 floating around, and two, the gameplay is marginally less dated.  There's nothing wrong with Final Fantasy IV, but even with all the rereleases of the game, it still plays the same as it did fifteen years ago, and, to be quite honest, if I'm going to play an old FF game, it's going to be either the original for my NES or Final Fantasy V on my PS1.  Final Fantasy IV already plays on the DS through the GBA cartridge.  Why not give us something if not new, at least not already available on the system.  Chrono Trigger would look amazing on the DS, and could even have some pretty interesting DS compatibility when using the ranged attacks.  Final Fantasy VII is by no means too massive to fit on a DS cartridge, and frankly wouldn't really need that much of a graphical update beyond some better character models outside of battle and texturing.  Heck, they could even include all the materia that were removed from the game due to rushing development.  Or, better yet, how about a brand new, DS only RPG series?  Heck, you could even redo the craptastic Final Fantasy Legends games where they didn't suck, or make new games in that series and it'd be at least different.

My point is, while this game will be good, it really doesn't add anything overwhelming to the game.  If you have a problem with the graphics of the old games, maybe you'll like it better, and knowing Square they'll probably throw in some fancy CG work as well, hopefully better made than the ones on the PS1 release.  But if your problem is with the gameplay, I wouldn't expect that to change too much.  It didn't really chance significantly from FF IV to FF IX, beyond the magic and skill acquisition gimmicks in each of the games, so I don't see why the remake should be any different.

Manix

« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2007, 15:53 »

Hasn't there been enough FF7? I mean really! A movie, several sequel/prequel videogames, and that PS3 demo video, Not to mention the characters appearance in Kingdom Hearts. I say we've got enough FF7 to last us for the rest of our lives. A remake of the game is the last thing anyone needs. Now 9 remake on the DS? That I would'nt mind seeing.

Frankly, we don't need to see Cloud chase down Jenova/Sephiroth again.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2007, 16:44 »

There's no way that FF7 would fit on a DS cartridge, anyway. The thing took up 3 discs, and even 10 years later you wouldn't be able to compress that all onto a DS cart. Especially if you expected a graphical update along with it.

rasufelle

« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2007, 19:06 »

Why wouldn't FF VII fit?  The graphics are less than those of pretty much every single DS game- including both the FF remakes- and there really isn't that much more to the world than the older games, considering there are around 50 hours of gameplay in both FF IV and FF VII.  The only reason that it took three discs back in the day was due to poor compression- heck, uncompressed the Ultima edition for PC is maybe 150 mb total, and updated character models and textures wouldn't have to be that big- a polygon here and there, a few wrinkles drawn in, and it's all good.  Look at the number of DS games made in full 3d.  Also, from what I've seen the DS has a lot more cartridge space available than the N64 had, judging by the expanded content of some of the N64 sequels and remakes, and since that was the only reason the Final Fantasy games weren't on the N64 I don't think memory is a problem.

However, I do agree that FF IX would be a better game to have, though compressing it down to a memory card would be practically impossible.  Then again, that's my favorite FF game of all time, so I'm kinda biased.  To be honest, I have no particular affection for FF VII, the only reason I used it as an example was because it tends to be well liked by most all Final Fantasy fans.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2007, 11:27 »

There's no way that FF7 would fit on a DS cartridge, anyway. The thing took up 3 discs, and even 10 years later you wouldn't be able to compress that all onto a DS cart. Especially if you expected a graphical update along with it.

Actually, it's quite feasible that it might fit in its original form. Compression technology has significantly improved since the game was made and a Nintendo DS "cartridge" can hold up to a full GB. It wouldn't be any great effort for them to port it over. Not that I'd care for them too, I never even particularly cared for it, but it could be done and it would essentially be a license for Squenix to print money. Their most popular RPG coupled with the current top selling (By a WIDE margin) video game platform? Shit, I'd green light that, from a financial standpoint.
JON MADE ME GAY

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2007, 12:31 »

*cough*

I couldn't have asked for a better comparison pic. An SD card that holds 4 gigs. FF7 was 3 CD-ROMs. 3x700mb = 2100mb = 2 gigs. They could fit FF7 onto a DS cartridge with updated graphics and gameplay and have tons of room to spare.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up