THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 06:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Joker Begins  (Read 42955 times)

thehoopiestfrood

Re: The Joker Begins
« Reply #50 on: 29 May 2007, 08:50 »

Right, ignoring all that - 4 of the main action scenes in the film are going to be filmed for IMAX. I remember Batman Begins was advertised at my local IMAX cinema and I desperately wanted to see that, so it should be good. There are also a couple more pictures from the set here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32816

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2007, 08:54 »

Now that is awesome. IMAX rules.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #52 on: 30 May 2007, 15:53 »

i'm trying to refrain from educating myself too much about this movie before it comes out or previews start showing because i have alot of faith in Nolan and i dont need to go confusing myself with mixed messages before it even comes out.

i mean, even my mom loved Batman Begins and she hates almost all movies and rarely bothers to stay awake to see one in it's entirety. that sends a serious message to me because i know all too well how she is about movies.
so i'm just gonne smile and nod along until this comes out and hopefully i won't be dissapointed.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #53 on: 08 Jun 2007, 18:10 »

Honestly, I don't care if they cast Christopher Nolan's right testicle as the joker, because Michael Caine is Alfred, and that means that this movie would still be the most well cast sequel of all time.

In all seriousness, I can see Ledger pulling this off with Nolan directing him.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #54 on: 09 Jun 2007, 07:10 »

Casting Michael Caine in anything is risky, he's a hit and miss actor who takes pretty much any role. I have to admit he didn't do badly in Batman Begins.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #55 on: 09 Jun 2007, 10:39 »

Michael Caine as Alfred is entirely the tits. I loved him in the first one and I stand by him having been the best Scrooge ever.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #56 on: 09 Jun 2007, 11:33 »

Casting Michael Caine in anything is risky, he's a hit and miss actor who takes pretty much any role.
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

I don't understand this assertion at all. He's been in a couple of shit movies but he's been in a lot of great ones in the last two decades alone.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #57 on: 11 Jun 2007, 09:54 »

I agree, Michael Caine is brilliant in every movie he's done. Whether or not the movie was good or bad has no bearing on his acting performance....

öde

« Reply #58 on: 11 Jun 2007, 16:08 »

Sometimes he just doesn't fit the movie, I don't know.

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #59 on: 11 Jun 2007, 16:21 »

It's the accent. It never changes and it's quite distinctive. :P

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jun 2007, 17:19 »

Sometimes he just doesn't fit the movie, I don't know.

To quote the great Kyle Farsnworth: "Opinions are like assholes, Scott: yours is wrong."
JON MADE ME GAY

Mr. Pink

« Reply #61 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:37 »

Personally, I'm kind of interested in the direction in which Nolan (might be) taking the Joker. The way he was mentioned in Batman Begins, he seemed like less of an overblown lunatic, and more of a flat-out sociopath. I'm probably wrong on this, since they gave Ledger "The Killing Joke," and they described him as having "a taste for the theatrical." Still, it would be cool to see a more sinister Joker.

As for the picture, it reminds me of Fight Club.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #62 on: 22 Jun 2007, 13:35 »

Pretty decent sized surprise spoiler concerning The Dark Knight. You've been warned.

SPOILER:

Cillian Murphy has been spotted on the set and has been filmed in at least one scene. It would seem that we've apparently not seen the last of the Scarecrow! This, to me, is absolutely fucking delightful news.

Source

Also, for anyone interested, they redesigned the Batman suit Bale is wearing:

Visible Here

It's going to be mostly armor plating on what looks more like a sort of mesh material. While on the one hand, I'd love seeing a more classic look from the comics, this is most definitely a more realistic and practical look, while maintaining the intimidating vibe. If I were a vigilante, I'd sure as Hell be going out fighting crime in something more like that.
JON MADE ME GAY

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #63 on: 22 Jun 2007, 13:43 »

One thing I really liked about Batman Begins was the way they showed the practical reasons for all his costume ideas.
Like, using the hang-glider cape, the spikes on his gloves from his sword fight training, the "theatrical" costume. The batmobile being a military tank-like vehicle which can go super-fast for making bridges.

The costume image you show there looks like armor, which is even more practical.

I don't know why, but showing the usefulness of a crazy superhero costume appeals to me a lot.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

Felix_

« Reply #64 on: 23 Jun 2007, 04:11 »

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 23 Jun 2007, 09:02 »

Oh now come on this is what Google is for:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 23 Jun 2007, 10:30 »

Yeah, that teaser poster has been long, long, long since debunked as fake.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Felix_

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jun 2007, 12:35 »

*feels his world coming crashing down around him* :cry: :cry:

Kaktion

« Reply #68 on: 18 Jul 2007, 08:50 »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #69 on: 18 Jul 2007, 09:00 »

Hmmm, that's the first time I've been able to see a large version of that last image and I have to wonder, his hands aren't white like his face. I'm going to assume he wears glove for most of the movie and that means there was no reason for them to put makeup on his hands. If the character actually is explained as applying makeup, I'll be a bit displeased. He's always been iconic in the idea that it's not makeup, but his actual skin.
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jul 2007, 11:11 »

Especially since that doesn't even look remotely like Heath Ledger.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #71 on: 28 Jul 2007, 15:35 »

Teaser Trailer!

Sounds to me like Heath is aiming for Jack Nicholson's Joker. :(
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #72 on: 28 Jul 2007, 17:49 »

You're basing this off of one line spoken in the teaser...
I'm not ready to call it quits based off of something that lasted 2 seconds.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #73 on: 28 Jul 2007, 18:17 »

I'm not ready to call it quits based off of something that lasted 2 seconds.

Sadly that's not the attitude my ex-girlfriend took.
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2007, 18:21 by CookedHaggis »

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #74 on: 28 Jul 2007, 18:44 »

:roll:
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #75 on: 28 Jul 2007, 20:38 »

If the new Batman movie was done by the same writer and creative staff as Batman Begins, I'll watch it.  Otherwise, I won't.  That simple.

I think what they're going for with the Joker is that they're trying to make him look like a deranged person in the Silence of the Lambs sense.  It's an interesting decision, and we'll just see what they do with it.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #76 on: 29 Jul 2007, 11:32 »

From the imdb page.

The director is the same: the consistently excellent Christopher Nolan

The writers are actually different: Nolan and David Goyer still retain story credit, but the screenplay is by Nolan and his brother Johnathon (The Prestige and the short story Memento is based on...I'm not sure how I feel about this.  The Prestige was good, but in my opinion Christopher Nolan's weakest film to date.  Still, I never thought Goyer was that great a writer based on his other work, Dark City aside, but Batman Begins was still great)

The cinematographer is the same (Wally Pfister):  maybe a little bit of a nerdy thing to note, but Batman Begins, The Prestige and Insomnia all looked damn good (plus he's worked with Nolan on everything except Following)

The editor is the same (Lee Smith): I'm not sure I really know enough about the mechanics of film editing to have an informed opinion, but I always felt Begins was overlong (though is that the editor's choice?) and that the fight scenes could have been better (someone somewhere pointed out that their confusingness could have been intentional - mirroring Batman's methods of distraction etc - but at times it just seemed to get in the way).  Though the guy has worked on Master and Commander and Buffalo Soldiers, which I think are great, so I guess he should get the benefit of the doubt.

The art directors are all different.  Now, I'm not entirely sure what art directors do, so maybe someone could fill me in here.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #77 on: 29 Jul 2007, 23:30 »

The camera work during the fight scenes were intentionally chaotic and not very pleasing because it was meant to give the audience an idea of how fast and chaotic Batman's fighting style is (they actually made one up for the film I think or perhaps used a style that is really not very well known) as well as how brutal it is (it's all elbows and knees mostly). I can see why they went with that technique but I prefer to see how the winner actually defeats his opponents.

The art director generally oversees the construction and design of the sets and possibly some of the costuming so if there is a different one to the previous film, The Dark Knight's Gotham City will have a slightly different feel and ambience to the Gotham of Batman Begins.

Based off that teaser trailer I will see this movie. Hell I own all the Burton and Schumaker Batmans so I'd see it even if the trailer was horrible.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Lotus

« Reply #78 on: 02 Aug 2007, 18:38 »

Sounds to me like Heath is aiming for Jack Nicholson's Joker. :(
I thought the exact same thing when he finished with "I'm a man of my worrrd."

I think what they're going for with the Joker is that they're trying to make him look like a deranged person in the Silence of the Lambs sense.  It's an interesting decision, and we'll just see what they do with it.
Yeah, I'm hoping that they're aiming for a more disturbing rather than comedic Joker because that's what will work best in the Gotham City created in Batman Begins.  Ledger has been reading the comics that Nolan throws to him and a lot of it consists of more recent publications.  Mostly dark material that would make Frank Miller happy.

Modern_Ruin

« Reply #79 on: 04 Aug 2007, 11:27 »

I think it took some massive balls to decided to use the Joker for this second movie after Nicholson became so iconic in the original movie. Ledger's Joker couldn't possibly be the same (which is good) and while I have no actual opinion about Ledger as an actor (all his movies sort of passed over me and didn't stick in my mind much) I think it's great that they've chosen someone who elicits the "...wtf, HIM?" response out of everyone. Keeps us guessing.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #80 on: 13 Aug 2007, 02:15 »

NEW TRAILER!!!!

Well kinda
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #81 on: 14 Aug 2007, 00:32 »

Words can not express how happy and excited I feel about this, especially that last post.

Anna Banana

« Reply #82 on: 19 Aug 2007, 09:24 »

I had heard they were originally going to have Adrien Brody play the Joker.

Real let down.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #83 on: 19 Aug 2007, 15:42 »

Pfft, from what I've seen Brody couldn't act his way out of a paper bag in the rain. Though I did hear they wanted Michael Keaton for the role which would have been a very interesting choice. Then I heard he was going to do Jigsaw in Punisher 2 but neither is the case now.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Anna Banana

« Reply #84 on: 19 Aug 2007, 16:22 »

Pfft, from what I've seen Brody couldn't act his way out of a paper bag in the rain. Though I did hear they wanted Michael Keaton for the role which would have been a very interesting choice. Then I heard he was going to do Jigsaw in Punisher 2 but neither is the case now.

Have you not seen him in The Village?

and yeah Michael Keaton would suit better as the Joker.. it's beyond me why they ever cast him as Batman in the 1st place.

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
« Reply #85 on: 19 Aug 2007, 17:11 »

As for me, I really think The Village was an awful movie, so I wouldn't use it as a reference for anyone's acting chops. That's just me.

Moving on, I would like to join the other (maybe) 2 people who thought Heath Ledger was a good choice for the Joker.The very second I heard that Ledger was cast, I was excited. I just think he can do it. I think he has the right look and I think that, with the right direction, he can absolutely nail it. I do agree that an actor who is going to play a previously established character should give a bigger shit about its roots. That said, maybe the fact that he even has that fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants attitude about it means he's better off not even trying to interpret it himself but, rather, just doing what Nolan tells him to do. After seeing Batman Begins, which was so amazing that I struggle to even understand it, I feel that it is entirely beyond me to even question the casting choices for the sequel. As far as I'm concerned, the casting for Begins was perfect, except maybe for Katie Holmes simply because I don't think she's a very good actress. It'll be nice to see someone else in the role of Rachel Dawes.

Mark my words. Ledger will own the role of the Joker. MARK THEM!! If for no other reason than to throw it in my face when I turn out to be wrong... which I won't.
Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 19 Aug 2007, 19:06 »

Anna, make your sig die plz, thx.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #87 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:38 »

Have you not seen him in The Village?

and yeah Michael Keaton would suit better as the Joker.. it's beyond me why they ever cast him as Batman in the 1st place.

I have and I wasn't impressed.

And as for Keaton as Batman, he was chosen because Bruce Wayne isn't necessarily the musclebound superhero like Superman is and is also a little unhinged and let's face it, Keaton does crazy pretty well as evidenced by his "C'MON! YOU WANNA GET NUTS? Let's get nuts..." scene.

Anna Banana

« Reply #88 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:36 »

Michael Keaton as Batman makes more sense than the conventional superhero.. I see your point, although I've never liked him as Batman.

despite whether Adrien Brody would've been good as the Joker, I still would have gone for him over Heath Ledger any day.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #89 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:17 »

Actually I'm in the "Heath Ledger is probably going to have a pretty good whack at being the Joker" camp. He's a good actor and with the right direction he can be great.

Also Anna, Ozy wasn't really being a jerk, you really need to take the pictures out of your sig.

Anna Banana

« Reply #90 on: 20 Aug 2007, 07:09 »

I suppose I'm still in the Heath-Ledger-from-A-Knight's-Tale headset.

and why? (about the sig.)

Anna Banana

« Reply #91 on: 20 Aug 2007, 07:12 »

Nevermind, someone explained it to me.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #92 on: 20 Aug 2007, 08:56 »

guys are we talking about the adrien brody who won an oscar for the pianist

i'm no expert but usually that's a good indicator of talent

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #93 on: 20 Aug 2007, 09:11 »

Well I don't like 'im!

CookedHaggis

« Reply #94 on: 20 Aug 2007, 11:13 »

guys are we talking about the adrien brody who won an oscar for the pianist

i'm no expert but usually that's a good indicator of talent

Except for the fact that Sean Connery and Cuba Gooding Jr have both won Oscars, and Tom Cruise has been nominated 3 times.  Still, I like Brody.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Heath Ledger, but he was brilliant in Brokeback, so I'm optimistic about his take on the Joker.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #95 on: 20 Aug 2007, 12:22 »

I'm sorry, did you just disrespect Sean Connery?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

CookedHaggis

« Reply #96 on: 20 Aug 2007, 14:55 »

Sir Sean Connery.  And yes, I did.

backstagebetty

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mmmmhmm
« Reply #97 on: 20 Aug 2007, 15:30 »

Quote from: Something Witty on Gabbly
Who is backstagebetty? A slut. But who?

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #98 on: 04 Sep 2007, 21:10 »

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #99 on: 04 Sep 2007, 21:16 »

In one of those pictures, I'm quite sure that the Joker is kicking Batman in the junk. I'm going to love this film.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up