THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PIRATES!!! (3!)  (Read 13763 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
PIRATES!!! (3!)
« on: 24 May 2007, 03:20 »

Anyone seen it yet? :) Saw it last night, and, while I didn't think they managed to capture all the elements that made the first movie such a great adventure, I was still perfectly satisfied with the experience. Def. worth the ticket-price and the time.

Orlando Bloom got surprisingly little camera-time, I thought, which was okay because the writing of his character really seemed to have gone down-hill since the last movie. What was surprising was that even JACK seemed like a bit of a supporting role compared to the last film. Who the hell were the leads, then, one must wonder... Barbossa and Elizabeth come closest, I reckon, and they were both great :)

A lot of funny one-liners and the like made the movie feel a teensy bit cheap, but nowhere near as ridiculous as Dead Man's chest. The action-scenes were great--and very Disney--and the CGI was, as always, sweet (if you like that sorta thing). Best thing about the experience, for me, was the audience--everyone was in an awesome mood and having a good time :)

Anyway, that's it from me. I thought I'd keep it spoiler-free until some more people'd seen the thing :) Do see it, and do see it at the theatre! Cheers!

-- P
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Re: PIRATES!!! (3!)
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 06:10 »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

:x
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

öde

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 06:18 »

:|

:-o

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2007, 06:25 »

:mrgreen: :police: :?
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2007, 09:08 »

My local paper gave it a D+ for being too convoluted.  Which means I'm going to see it for exactly that reason.

:evil:

:mrgreen:

:-D
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2007, 12:57 »

How could Jack be any more of a supporting character in this film without being a goddamn cameo?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2007, 13:00 »

Pirates exploding! Sword fights! Kierah Knightleys thigh! Doubleplusgood!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

epifreak

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2007, 17:01 »

Pirates exploding! Sword fights! Kierah Knightleys thigh! Doubleplusgood!

You had me at thigh. On a related note, I must be behind. I didn't think this had come out yet, then again, I woke up thinking this was Wednesday, so my judgment of time is suspect at best.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2007, 19:01 »

this will be the movie that sets of my Summer Movie Madness with my friend and I
I realize that it will not be all that good, but I am okay with that,

:-)
 :|
 :?

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2007, 19:08 »

Holy shart, wow.
Can we talk about this movie, like a lot?
What was everyone's least favorite part?  Mine was Davy as a human - fellow had ribbons in his beard.  I also disliked the part where Cal - ips - oooo turned into a bunch of crabs.
Also, did anyone find the monkey as amusing as the corpulent lady-fellow to the left of me found it?  She was probably really drunk at the time, so maybe not.  If so, however, please explain this humor to me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2007, 22:23 »

(spoilers or summat)

The whole Gullivers Travels bit with Calypso pissed the hell out of me. Mainly because the footage around that scene just kept going TV quality for absolutely no reason. (Oh, and the continuity errors. Like the way SHE WASN'T TIED TO THE MAST AT THE START OF THE SCENE. Also the fact that it was just all ridiculous).

Also, the final fight in the whirlpool, though shitting awesome, completely jumped the shark when Jack Sparrow made that parachute to escape the Flying Dutchman.

Best scenes:

1: Whole whirlpool fight before that bit. That was basically what I came to the cinema to see.
2: East India company raiding Chow Yun Fat's bathouse. MUSKETS! KARATE! SWORDS! YES!
3: Lord Cutler Beckett walking serenely down the steps of his ship as the Black Pearl and the Dutchman broadsided it mercilessly and insanely from both sides. That was just kick-ass.
4: The opening. Much kudos for having the little kid actually hang.

To be fair, the only scenes that got on my goat, apart from the attack of the 50 foot sea-goddess, were any scenes where Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom were allowed to be on the screen alone together where Keira Knightleys legs were not in full view. Thankfully few and far between.

Basically just good clean fucking fun. Anyone else stay past the credits?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2007, 22:35 »

I had to piss REAL bad at the end.  Kicked a bucket of popcorn over on my way down the aisle.  Stood over a urinal for two minutes, then immediately dashed back over to the theatre because it's become normal to have a little hidden bit at the end of the movie. 

Was anyone else surprised by Keith Richards' part?  I thought he was going to be...well, Jack Sparrow's dad, not the guy whose wife's head is as big as his fist and hanging on a string.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

TrueNeutral

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2007, 04:30 »

You know, this movie was so cookie cutter clean, I take the common criticism that it was hard to follow as proof that our ancestors are weeping in the afterlife because their offspring has degenerated into morons.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2007, 18:33 »

It was okay. I mean, I couldn't understand half the movie because of the accents but...

doki

« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2007, 05:15 »

AHHH the third part of a trilogy.... where to start where to start

first and foremost, i am aware that this movie, like Indiana Jones before it, is trying to thrill people with action and things like that.  also like indy, it wouldn't work without our favorite, beautifully flawed characters.  Rush was brilliant, Depp was brilliant, and as a result their characters were more fun.

UNLIKE indy, there was a serious link between the movies, and (despite leaving it open for a fouth sequel) it wrapped up nicely.  in trilogies, i feel the importance of this CANNOT be understated.  it was a nice tie to several loose ends

What i liked:
Will and Lizzy dont get to live happily ever after
Jack and his dopplegangers
Keith Ritchards on Guitar
Not an overuse of special effects

What i disliked
Calipso

ill think of more to rant about later

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2007, 05:47 »

What I disliked:
Will and Elizabeth not getting to live happily ever after. Poor bastards.
I am a sucker for the fairytale ending and it kind of ruined the entire movie for me.
Elizabeth's stupid hat.
That fucking monkey.

What I liked:
SWORDFIGHTING OMG
CAPTAIN TURNER OMG
The guy with the wooden eye.
The two masquerading soldiers at the end.
The dandy French Pirate Lord.

Narr

« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2007, 10:44 »

The movie was 3 hours long and I never once went "This is kind of boring now, get to the action."  I was entertained the whole time, and that's saying a lot.

Definitely better than Spiderman 3.  I have a feeling I will go see Pirates 3 again.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2007, 13:34 »

SPOILAS

Wait, it's actually fairly ambiguous about the "Fairy tale ending."
I think I even read somewhere that in the full movie (it was trimmed because it used to be even longer and nobody would be able to sit still for that long) it explains that somehow the curse is lifted.
It didn't make a lot of sense, but you can kind of extrapolate from the happy lighting that they're a happy pair now.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2007, 15:16 »

It had some fun action bits, but they all seemed really overdone and hectic to me.  They tried too hard to make it a really epic movie, and the fights just ended up being big messes to watch.  The story as well was poorly put together, with far too much attempting to happen.  Overall, I was entertained by some of the action sequences, but I thought it was a fairly dreadful movie.  I can't see myself ever watching it again, not when I could just throw in the first one.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2007, 16:06 »

I went and saw the movie, BUT WAS WITH FRIENDS WHO WANTED TO LEAVE AND DIDNT GET TO SEE THE AFTER-CREDITS PART!

What happened? Spoilers me, plzkthxbye.

You can message me the spoilers, if you don't want to post them here.

Fuckin' stupid friends.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #20 on: 27 May 2007, 17:00 »

Why the hell did Keith Richards play a guitar? Was he such a bad actor that all they could do to keep him focussed on anything was to shove a guitar in his hands? The whole boat of Jacks was great, though.
In general Elizabeth annoyed me, but she has for the other movies also. She had some good scenes, but still annoyed me with that stupid outfit.

What I liked:
SWORDFIGHTING OMG
CAPTAIN TURNER OMG
The guy with the wooden eye. (Ragetti)
The two masquerading soldiers at the end.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2007, 17:03 »

Yeah, it was downright Mary Sue the way that she became the respected "King of the Pirates" even though we had never seen her even show any aptitude towards sailing, and also in the way that she was kissed by every man with a death wish ever.
I hated her character.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2007, 17:25 »

Will and Elizabeth were a complete drag when they were together. Actually, I think they were my least favorite part about the movie, other than when Calypso got all big and then turned to crabs. The multiple Jacks was hilarious and Barbosa was pretty awesome as well. The fight scenes were great, it was funny, and I liked it. Minus all the Will and Elizabeth stuff. Mostly Elizabeth. And it would suck to be her at the end. The ending was funny and I'm glad they left it open for another possible sequel.

But I didn't stay past the end of the credits! What happened? I want to knooooow. Please?
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2007, 18:19 »

The after-credits bit with as little of a spoiler as possible:  Will Turner comes back ten years later, and meets a new member of the family, which could be a dog, parrot, monkey, Elizabeth's new husband, or child.  Take your pick.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2007, 22:44 »

i thought the movie was rather okay, not something I would rush out and see again but if I a friend wants to see it I will go.

things I liked:
the fact that Kieht Richards was far less silly then I had dreaded (I was expecting him to be a more ecentric version of Jack Sparrow)
the Jack dopplegangers
the monkey (they did shoot him out of a canon
the whirlpool fight
the fact that the dog that constantly had a key made an appearance
the different pirates groups, especially the persian ones (I think they were persian) with the leader that had a really high voice
Cutler Beckett not saying a damned thing as his ship is falling apart around him

things I did not like
the moments that Orlando and Keira were alone
Tia Dalma
the fact that the curse of the Davy Jones was never mentioned before this movie even though it was so damned important
the fact that after the epic battle every pirate ship was cheering even though only the Pearl and the Ducthman went at it

Postino

« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2007, 23:45 »

1. Okay here is the down low on the ending of Pirates, and they really should have included this because it was so damn important. The curse goes if you serve 10 years on the FD and at the end of it your lover is still faithful then you two are free to be together and the FD gets another captain. This explains why Jones was so pissed off when Calipso didn't show up at the end of his ten years.

2. Keira Knightley's character was indeed a little cheesy but I still found her sexy/entertaining. Orlando Bloom's character became a lot more weepy and shallow however, which is sad for Orlando because he was pretty good in the first one, and they just kept giving his character worse and worse lines.

3. While Depp was still amazing in this film and very funny, I personally think that Rush stole the show. Someone mentioned the Indy to Pirates comparison and I think that what happened her was what happened in the third Indy movie. Simply put Geoffery Rush much like Sean Connery stole the show. I don't know about you but I found myself much more entertained by Barbossa this time around than I did by Sparrow.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2007, 11:20 »

I liked the movie, it was a lot better then I thought it would be, although I've got to agree with what MooFace said in the Last Post thread about it being set-up for a 4th movie, which I think we can all agree is not necessarry. I think it should have had a -good-, all-questions answered ending. That would have been great.
(Although, if they DO decide to do another movie, the Fountain of Youth is going to be awesome...)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2007, 07:42 »

Saw it, loved it.

The Calypso bit was a little cheesy, but it gave rise to this browser title joke on http://www.errantstory.com/, so I forgive it for that reason alone.

I'm less convinced that they cut the explanation of the curse for time than to leave their options open if/when they make another film.  With it ambiguous, they can make up a story about freeing him from the curse, or just cut him out of the story entirely and give Depp more screen-time.

PS. Was I the only person thinking of the ever-popular swinging-pirate ship theme park ride when they were leaving the locker?
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2007, 11:25 »

No, no you weren't.  It made me want to go on one again.

CmonMiracle

« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2007, 13:21 »

I just want to make sure I am not crazy, but at a certain moment, the screen faded to black and I swore they played the sound effects from the actual ride! It might have been right as they entered the iceberg...I don't remember.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2007, 17:16 »

No, they did! I noticed that too. It was clever that they did that, as it was an unexpected thing that people who rode the ride would have noticed. It made me smile.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #31 on: 04 Jun 2007, 12:00 »

Considering the expectations I went into Spider-Man 3, 28 Weeks Later and Pirates 3 with, I'm worried about Harry Potter.

I expected this and 28 Weeks to be crap and both exceeded delightfully, wheras I expected Spider-Man 3 to rock and it turned out shit.

Much better than the second one, which was all flash and little substance with ridiculous fight scenes that were too epic for their own good.

I agree on the sentiment of how depressing modern culture has become that this movie is warranting such poor reviews for being "too convoluted." Fucking morons out there. Having a plot is apparently too much for the modern movie-goer. How Spider-Man 3 has been pulling down better reviews is beyond me.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 04 Jun 2007, 12:11 »

I agree on the sentiment of how depressing modern culture has become that this movie is warranting such poor reviews for being "too convoluted." Fucking morons out there. Having a plot is apparently too much for the modern movie-goer. How Spider-Man 3 has been pulling down better reviews is beyond me.

oh i'm sorry for wanting a movie to develop its plot based on its characters and setting and previous events rather than just having plot twists for the sake of padding a movie out to two hours so that filmgoers don't feel like jerry bruckheimer stole their ten bucks and then gave their mother a golden shower

yeah my bad a plot is too much for me

Ben yayayayayayayay

• You are so handsome. You are my friend.
« Reply #33 on: 04 Jun 2007, 20:13 »

what he said and I WAS CONFUSED   :-(:? :oops:

then again I went with the friend that doesn't know how to shut the fuck up during a movie. swear to god if he didn't know tae kwon do and I didn't weigh 118 to his 250 I would've slapped him in the face
If you fight fire with fire, you will just make a bigger fire. Yes.
But if you fight fire with crystals, and ice bulbs, you will put the fire out and the crystals will turn to diamonds!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 04 Jun 2007, 20:30 »

movies aren't for plebes like us, man

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #35 on: 04 Jun 2007, 20:59 »

oh i'm sorry for wanting a movie to develop its plot based on its characters and setting and previous events rather than just having plot twists for the sake of padding a movie out to two hours so that filmgoers don't feel like jerry bruckheimer stole their ten bucks and then gave their mother a golden shower

yeah my bad a plot is too much for me

Could be worse...the movie version of Dead or Alive comes out relatively soon.  That movie won't even have plot twists, only high kicks by asian girls in short skirts and tight tops.  And Jaime Presley, doing the same.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jun 2007, 21:21 »

I am sorry to report that I hit a new level of nerdy while watching this movie.

During the scene at Shipwreck Cove when everybody starts fighting and Elizabeth is like "This is madness!" and then Johnny Depp is like "This is politics."  I stood up and yelled "THIS...IS... SPAARTAAAA!" and kicked a railing.

The audience lol'd.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jun 2007, 21:38 »

French Privateers ftw.

My comments on the movie:

I was pretty pissed that Norrington got so little screen time.  After I started hating Jack Sparrow's guts in the second movie, Norrington stepped in to take his place as my favorite Pirates character of all time,  and he was totally gypped in this one.

Am I the only one who wanted Davy Jones and Calypso to live happily ever after?

Oh, and Elizabeth is a ho.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #38 on: 04 Jun 2007, 22:33 »

Could be worse...the movie version of Dead or Alive comes out relatively soon.  That movie won't even have plot twists, only high kicks by asian girls in short skirts and tight tops.  And Jaime Presley, doing the same.
And yet unlike Pirates 3 this film will not gross $635 million in its first weekend.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #39 on: 05 Jun 2007, 09:14 »

But I'm guessing it'll make around $400 million if it opens in Japan.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jun 2007, 18:27 »

I really didn't like the ending, only because it didn't seem 'finished'. I've heard rumours that there's going to be a fourth, can anyone confirm or deny this?
I really loved Orlando's character in the first movie, and feel they didn't really stay true to what he was like in the earlier films. But, I won't lie, death seems to treat that boy very, very well. God, he's good looking...
Sorry you had to see that.
I absolutely LOVED Johnny, as always. And Barbossa was just amazing...I loved him in the first movie, and was so happy to see him come back at the end of Dead Man's Chest.
So overall, I give it a 4/5. A decent movie, but it was missing that 'something'.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #41 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:52 »

Everybody I know has told me that they had to watch it more than once for everything to make sense.
I think I got it the first time around.

By the end of the movie it made sense, but I did enjoy the moment where I was just like "wait, he just licked that rock.  why the fuck is it a crab?"
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Rubes

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2007, 12:46 »

I think, the film was pretty awsome, especially the multiple Jacks and the conger eel-headed pirate.

There were a few terrible bits that ruined it though.

- Calypso (Both the stupid transformation sequence already much mentioned and the ridiculous mix'n'match mythology)
- Everything involving Mr. Bloom (except when he's in the barrel of water)
- The constant inclusion of lines from movie 1 - "Thank you, Jack" being the worst offender. And it was such a good line in the first one too...

loyalpeon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #43 on: 22 Jun 2007, 08:09 »

Meh, it seemed stretched a little thin to me. A few amusing moments, a few well choreographed fights, but at the end of the day it ended up being tremendously mediocre. I guess the same old jokes just weren't doing it for me this time around. All I could do this time around was cringe at most of Depp's scenes, while only Rush really picked up the slack (Barbarosa was by far the most entertaining character)... I'd give it 5/6 out of 10.

About the Davy Jones curse, I never picked up the bit about the fact that if your love waited 10 years you got off scot-free and alive. I'd understood it as you could finally rest in peace if you did your job for 10 years...
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #44 on: 22 Jun 2007, 10:02 »

If your love waits 10 years for you, the curse is broken. I took that to mean that you could rest in peace, not that you somehow come back to life. You're dead, you've been dead for 10 years, and your heart has been cut out and put in a box somewhere. Breaking the curse doesn't undo all of that.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up