THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 14:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DC/Zuda Comics  (Read 2615 times)

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
DC/Zuda Comics
« on: 12 Jul 2007, 11:05 »

So DC Comics has announced a newly formed difital imprint, Zudacomics, partnered with IBM and offering, apparently, money to web comic creators who have their submissions accepted and printed through the imprint as well as easy access to future print applications if warrented.

What does everyone think of this?  Is it good, bad, a little like closing the gate after the horse has already left?

Discuss, if you feel like it.  More can be read on Zuda here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=119800 and, with some opinions from a few creative types, here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=120411

HPPH

Re: DC/Zuda Comics
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:01 »

So DC's trying to be a keenspot. Could be good. Hell, if you look at their track records for things they were willing to allow creators to publish it seems logical.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:12 »

I didn't read the thread, so I don't know if they covered this: one thing that would worry me if I were the author of a webcomic is whether or not DC will make you sign away the rights to your comic if you use this service. ClearChannel is pulling that shit right now with a recent settlement they reached with the FCC regarding their payola scandal; they've agreed to 'donate' 4200 hours of air-time on their stations to independent artists, only now they're saying that said artists must sign away any performance royalties before they will air them. I think Tommy started a thread about it some time ago, but you can read the whole story here.

Anyway, I think this could be good for artists in the comic world if a similar screwing doesn't happen to them.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:14 »

You should consider yourself glad you didn't read the thread. I'm a regular at that forum and 95% of those people are absolutely batshit fucking loco.

I am a God damn forum addict, though.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:48 »

Unless this is revealed to be a deal where DC just takes advantage of creators in the coming months, I will probably submit something.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom
Pages: [1]   Go Up