THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (please critique) Futuristic Sci-Fi Comic, First Page  (Read 3695 times)

mothball

Hey guys, I know I don't post here very often (or at all, pretty much), but I've been thinking about starting a little webcomic of my own for quite some time. I love QC, it's well drawn and awesomely written, so I thought this board would be an appropriate place.

I have no formal artistic experience, everything on this page I tried to learn in the last week. So basically, what do you guys think? Is it catchy enough, is the art passable to convey the comic? or anything else you can think of. Just shoot comments at me.

Considering I'm drawing everyday now, my art has improved in leaps and bounds, which is saying a lot - the first version I did was little more than crappy looking stick figures.

Dreimon

Re: (please critique) Futuristic Sci-Fi Comic, First Page
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2007, 01:20 »

Where did the phaser come from? Hyperspace? I think it looks like an interesting premise.

It sort of reminds me of Zap! in space, with the... being in space thing. I was sort of thinking of making a webcomic too, and at some point I thought I'd do something Space-y. But that was because Cinemax showed the first six Star Trek movies at 9pm for six consecutive nights. And I watched them.

The art looks promising, especially if it's going to be a webcomic. Because so far, every webcomic I've seen has made their artists improve a lot. Especially the aforementioned Zap! In space. Have you read that? It moves a bit slow, though.

Anyway, uh, I wasn't sure if the guy was x-raying and scanning for weapons or disintegrating them at first... But I guess they were disintegrating.

I think you should continue it, it can only get better, right?

Ally

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2007, 12:24 »

Not bad! I'd say start the comic. Here are my constructive crits, though, since I like critiquing people. I'm not sure if I'm even qualified, haha.

1. This is a big thing - shading. I've been meaning to draw up a cute tutorial for a while, and since I'm procrastinating, I will now. You can find this in plenty of places but here is my version.

Okay that is very quick (I'll do a better one eventually I guess) but hopefully it gets my point across. Choose a light source in every scene and stick with it. If there is more than one light source, consider both of those. Take two lamps, turn them on, and hold your hand between them. Two shadows! I like that your comic is stylized but just keep shapes in mind.

2. Continuity? He is bleeding in panel 4 but not in panel 5.

3. Drawing the human figure is haaard. I have trouble with it when I'm not drawing from life. Always draw people around you; make your friends do short poses, etc. Invest in a good anatomy book. Practice practice practice. Your ears look off to me - I think they need to be farther back and a bit lower.

Hopefully this was helpful! Definitely keep at it. I'm too lazy to start my own comic so I always feel weird giving advice, haha.

mothball

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 18:48 »

Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, shading is a bit difficult for me right now. It is hard to visualize in my head how the light is flowing over the objects. Plus, I am finding it tough to visualize the scene as a 3d thing rather than a 2d thing. More practice, more progress.

Dreimon

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2007, 01:13 »

And more story, hehe. Where's the rest of your webcomic?
Pages: [1]   Go Up