THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The National - Boxer  (Read 4353 times)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
The National - Boxer
« on: 04 Jun 2007, 20:34 »

I'm not sure how widely known these fellas were before 2007, or if they're particularly well-followed here, so apologies in advance if I'm preaching to the converted.

I know there's a rolling CDs of 2007 thread but I feel this album is sufficiently awesome to deserve its own topic right here. Frankly, this CD isn't doing anything that hasn't been done before. It's not avant-garde, it's not progressive, it's not setting any new trends or anything. What it is, quite simply, is a collection of really good songs. Its beauty is in its simplicity - the songwriting is fantastic, the album flows together smoothly with no weak points, and the lyrics are mature and well-delivered. First single and arguable highlight of the album Mistaken For Strangers is maudlin but energetically so, and from there on in it flows smoothly from relatively upbeat numbers (like Squalor Victoria, of which bands like Editors and Interpol would do well to be jealous) through mopey ballads and back. Confidently classy, this record is a real highlight in an already stellar year for new music, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't go down well here.

« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2007, 14:18 by amok »

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
Re: The National - Boxer
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2007, 21:18 »

i think it's mistaken for strangers. I do agree- great album... apparently there an intense live act. Matt Berringer, from the youtube clips i've seen, has Ian Curtisesque stage antics. has anyone here senn them?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2007, 21:24 »

Uh, fuck, so it is. I had another song with 'Waiting' in the title on while I was typing that up and got my wires crossed. Corrected, thanks :)

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2007, 21:54 »

I was beginning to wonder how long it was going to be before a thread was created to discuss this album.  The rhythm section is goddamn amazing.  Just dark, heavy propulsion driving some really elegant, warm songs.  I like it a lot, it's difficult to find anything else to listen to at the moment.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 2007, 23:38 »

I totally agree. I'm in the depths of addiction at the moment...

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun 2007, 03:14 »

so apologies in advance if I'm preaching to the converted.
i'm adding that one to my list of puns people deserve to die for
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jun 2007, 08:43 »

Am I missing some hilarious inside joke here, because there's no pun in that quote.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jun 2007, 10:41 »

*Cough* sendspace *throat clear*.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jun 2007, 12:28 »

There's a download link right in the first post :( signing up only takes like 2 seconds. My internet is too shit for me to spend another 4 hours uploading it again :)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jun 2007, 14:11 »

Apparently there an intense live act

I'm not sure where you heard that but I've seen them and I beg to differ. I personally don't think their old album or this new one are particularly impressive. I love this kind of music so it's not a genre preference, I just don't find The National all that appealing. I'd go as far as to say they're fairly dull. Live they aren't so great either. I heard "Alligator" before I saw them live and wasn't expecting much. And I didn't get much. Now they weren't bad at all. They all seem pretty into their music and the singer (who, because he doesn't play an instrument, stands around a lot which got on my nerves) was quite good. But the music was a bit blah and didn't really hold my attention, or the attention of most of the audience. Who knows, maybe it was just an off day for them. Honestly though I really don't understand any of the hype surrounding these guys. They're a fairly mediocre "indie-rock" band and not much more.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jun 2007, 14:14 »

I've read a bunch of interviews and he seems like a really nice guy, but god their singer irks me.

I saw them play with CHYSY last year and midway through their set me and Jro got bored and left.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun 2007, 17:57 »

Wow, sounds like my sources are wrong then. Thats dissappointing.

hihowareyou

« Reply #12 on: 06 Jun 2007, 01:55 »

All this negativity aside, I am an enormous fan of these guys. However I can't say I care much for their newer stuff, doesn't seem as down to earth as their earlier works.

Getting smashed with best friends my sophomore year wouldn't have been the same without this band.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #13 on: 06 Jun 2007, 05:52 »

I've read a bunch of interviews and he seems like a really nice guy, but god their singer irks me.

I saw them play with CHYSY last year and midway through their set me and Jro got bored and left.

See, my exact thoughts when I first heard his voice were "Wow, this is awesome.  Kind of like if the guy from Interpol laid down decent vocals."

And if the dude from CYHSY doesn't bug you but this guy does, well that I just can't fathom.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 06 Jun 2007, 05:57 »

Glad it's not just me, !!!CPAOI!!!. My first thought on hearing the album was 'fuck, Interpol's balls dropped.' As far as I'm concerned, they pull off the whole post-joy-division thing much better than Interpol and their seven billion imitators.

Also, I hear the live act is pretty hit-or-miss, and the guy's said so himself. Not had the pleasure myself, they're playing London in November so I might have to roll on down and give it a go.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jun 2007, 06:48 »

Yeah, just keep hating on Ian Banks.  It's like he has feelings too . . . or reads QC music forums . . . .

No it really isn't.

I saw The National open for The Arcade Fire at Radio City Music Hall and enjoyed their brief set enough to check out their albums immediately after.  It was good enough for me to grab the albums as soon as I got home, and really I thought their live performance was about 9 times better than their albums (maybe they were amped up to be opening for Arcade Fire?)  My first reaction was that I really wasn't crazy about how The Boxer is mixed -- it seems far too vocal heavy, but given the reaction of y'all (except for old grumpy Jeph) and the 5 day sold out week of shows they just had at Bowery Ballroom, I'm relistening.

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #16 on: 06 Jun 2007, 11:12 »

What I think needs to be kept in mind here is that this music is meant to be vocal-focused and is driven primarily by the rhythm section, which IMHO gave a very tight performance on Boxer.  The guitars consist mostly of atmospheric, picked-out chords for texture (and, well, atmosphere).  I think the mix is great, but this is definitely not a guitar album.

As far as Interpol is concerned, I pretty much agree with you Amok.  I still like Turn on the Bright Lights but admittedly it sounds like Joy Division 2.0.  The National is warmer and elegant, and I think that it favorably distinguishes them from the horde of other bands who share the same influences.

SeanBateman

« Reply #17 on: 06 Jun 2007, 11:17 »

Someone just put the whole album up on Mediafire and I will decide if it is good or not.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2007, 14:19 »

I'm putting it on Sendspace for people who are allergic to Yousendit. Considering these sites all do the same damn thing that's pretty much the last time I'm uploading it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yw4lgd
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2007, 15:36 by amok »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2007, 22:54 »

What I think needs to be kept in mind here is that this music is meant to be vocal-focused and is driven primarily by the rhythm section, which IMHO gave a very tight performance on Boxer.  The guitars consist mostly of atmospheric, picked-out chords for texture (and, well, atmosphere).  I think the mix is great, but this is definitely not a guitar album.

As far as Interpol is concerned, I pretty much agree with you Amok.  I still like Turn on the Bright Lights but admittedly it sounds like Joy Division 2.0.  The National is warmer and elegant, and I think that it favorably distinguishes them from the horde of other bands who share the same influences.

Frankly, I really don't see the Interpol/ The Nation comparisons.  I would put the National singers voice closer to young Leonard Cohen than Ian Banks, which is really a huge compliment.

I agree with you that it's the music is meant to be vocal focussed.  I guess what I'm saying is that I'd find it a lot more interesting if it wasn't.  Singer doesn't display much range, lyrics don't grab me, I feel like I've heard it all before.  Maybe a third relisten will be the charm.  Probably not, though.

Oh, and if it's the Joy Division rehash angle that you really can't stand about Interpol then I highly recommend you give their upcoming album A Love To Admire a good listen -- I hear a number of the new songs at Tuesday's show and they have definitely gone more melodic and less post-punkish with the only really sad part being that Carlos D.'s masterful bass is somewhat less dominant than it was in Antics.  The lyrics are also less ass than previously.  Which admittedly is not saying much, but I've always found that Banks is talented with good phrases ("play with the breaks you came here with today . . . . ") even if the songs don't hold together that well (and really I can count truly talented lyricists in rock/pop these days whose music I actually enjoy on both hands).

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #20 on: 07 Jun 2007, 01:22 »

They're similar to Interpol in that they are both vocally focused, and the guitars are used to create a dense, brooding atmosphere. They also have a similar tone, a kind of pent up aggression that threatens to spill out... I like them both... but i don't think they're going to save the world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up