THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Summer Reading List  (Read 23465 times)

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
Re: Summer Reading List
« Reply #50 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:38 »

Hmm...

How about Twilight by Stephanie Meyer? That's a damn good book although I have to say after I read and its sequel (New Moon) I tried reading other books but they weren't of the same quality as Twilight. So I ended up rereading them at least three times each before I was finally able to move on. They were damn good books.
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

edgyswingsetacid

« Reply #51 on: 19 Jun 2007, 20:13 »

so far, in the past week and a half or so, i've read the molloy trilogy by samuel beckett, lafcadio's adventures by andre gide, miss lonelyhearts and the day of the locust by nathanael west, and the tropic of cancer by henry miller. in the months to come i shall read, in no particular order, illuminations by rimbaud, the magic mountain by thomas mann, volume 4 of that marcel proust thing, 120 days of sodom by marquis de sade, the myth of sisyphus etc by camus, being and nothingness by sartre, and perhaps some goethe or gogol. i've also been meaning to read the brothers karamazov since that day that crime and punishment blew me away, but we'll see how it goes. pretty standard stuff, but i've gotta say, those nathanael west novels were fantastic.

fozmo, i hope you enjoy that hemingway. it destroyed me.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #52 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:42 »

Ally, I noticed you're going to read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. When you do, please post what you think, because from other than an art history professor, everyone I know who's read it thought it was boring. This makes me curious, as I haven't read it.

I don't have a reading list yet, but I will once I finish making one up. It'll be full of all the things I really want to read and haven't yet, i.e. 1984, Dante's Inferno, and Slaughterhouse 5.

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #53 on: 20 Jun 2007, 15:02 »

yes, Vonnegut ftw! everyone and their mom should read at least one Kurt Vonnegut book this summer! i've already read three; you guys need to get on the ball.
i don't know what it is, but Vonnegut is really good to read in the summer time.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #54 on: 20 Jun 2007, 18:49 »

Today I finished The Prestige. I can't decide if I am in love with the ending or if I hate it completely, which is definately odd. Great book, weird ending. Now I've started with If On a Winter's Night a Traveler... Not sure about this one either, the author's tone is really not my style.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Flan

« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2007, 04:54 »

Go Murakami! Hard Boiled Wonderland and the end of the World is great.
But if you are reading Kafka, I suggest In The Penal Settlement. Its a short story.
Then go read Murakami's Kafka of the Shore. It's good if you haven't read the Kafka story, but all that much better if you have.

And for something completely different, may I suggest Kate Atkinson's Behind the Scenes at the Museum? Post modern, yes, but interesting and entertaining.

And I fully back up the person who recomended On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Felix_

« Reply #56 on: 23 Jun 2007, 12:48 »

I'm reading The Master And Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov right now.  :-D It's wonderful.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 23 Jun 2007, 15:13 »

If On a Winter's Night a Traveler... Not sure about this one either, the author's tone is really not my style.
Stick with this one all the way through, I can't recommend it enough.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up