THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 20:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chuck Palahniuk-Guts  (Read 8511 times)

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« on: 03 Sep 2006, 19:28 »

Just a warning to everyone, this is very graphic, and if you're a dude, you probably won't want to masturbate for a week after hearing it the first time. - Mnem

I have just discovered the short story "Guts" by Chuck Palahniuk, author of novels such as Fight Club and Invisible Monsters.

"Guts" is from a novel called "Haunted", which is a novel that contains seventeen short stories between the core narrative.

It is officially one of the most indecent things I've heard of.

This is an audio recording of Chuck reading the short story aloud in Pittsburgh, Virginia. I warn you, it's rather icky.
Hate, rain on me

Stifled Dreams

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #1 on: 03 Sep 2006, 19:32 »

I'm scared to listen to this, but I still think it needs to be in the books forum! <3

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #2 on: 04 Sep 2006, 04:32 »

As a fan of Palahniuk, I still had the sudden urge to have a shot or two of tequila after finishing this.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #3 on: 04 Sep 2006, 05:00 »

i love this story. i keep telling people to read it and they keep telling me they made it so far and had to stop. yaaaay.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #4 on: 04 Sep 2006, 05:49 »

Booring.

Spinless

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #5 on: 04 Sep 2006, 07:54 »

I've been telling this story since...2005? Can't have been any earlier I don't think.
Great for parties.

Ghostwriter

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #6 on: 04 Sep 2006, 09:35 »

Apparently Chuck Palahniuk based it off of the story of some guy he met at a support group.

I thought it was pretty funny, in a disgusting way.  Made me feel kind of uneasy, though.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #7 on: 04 Sep 2006, 09:39 »

It made me feel pretty dirty.

I'm just lucky I was already familiar with Palahniuk's work.
Hate, rain on me

haziegirl

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #8 on: 04 Sep 2006, 12:27 »

well here goes nothing... my roommate is the biggest Chuck Palahniuk fan I've ever met.. so we shall commence listening...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #9 on: 04 Sep 2006, 13:04 »

Quote from: Ghostwriter
Apparently Chuck Palahniuk based it off of the story of some guy he met at a support group.

Support group for what?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #10 on: 04 Sep 2006, 13:17 »

it's a snippet from his book Haunted. magnificent work.
also israel

Kid Modernist

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #11 on: 04 Sep 2006, 13:39 »

Chuck Palahniuk is a hack writer. All his main characters are the same, no matter what their background is supposed to be. He thinks writing in short sentences is awesome and emotive. And it's just pulp fiction.

OH MY GOD HE CAN TELL A REALLY GROSS STORY HE IS AWESOME.

The very first movie I ever thought was better than the book was Fight Club.

I thought the book was okay, but then I read a couple others of his and realized there was no deviation.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #12 on: 04 Sep 2006, 15:03 »

I like Chuck a lot, myself!

Anyway, to answer Johnny's question, Chuck would visit support groups when he had nothing wrong with him, and he would visit all kinds of different groups during the week, pretending to be affected with whatever the group members were. I'm guessing this support group was.. for guys who had anal prolapse?

Chuck's doing this partially inspired Fight Club.

At least I'm pretty sure this is how it goes.
Hate, rain on me

Ghostwriter

Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #13 on: 04 Sep 2006, 15:36 »

Quote from: The Wikipedia article for Haunted
According to Palahniuk, the first two tales came from his friends' experiences and the third he heard while shadowing sexual addiction support groups. In one of these groups, he met an extremely thin man. When Palahniuk asked him how he stayed so thin, he told him "I had a massive bowel resectioning." When Palahniuk asked what he meant, he told him the story which was the basis for the third episode in 'Guts'.

There you go.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #14 on: 05 Sep 2006, 09:10 »

Pahlaniuk has been one fo my favorite authors since I read choke a few years ago...actually, I read that book before I realized he had written Fight Club (stupid me thought it was just a movie).  

Read his book "Refugees and Fugitives;" it's his non-fiction piece and you get a good idea where a lot of his ideas came from.

There was a story in "Haunted" that I liked better than the one about St. Gut-Free, I just can't remember which one right now
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #15 on: 05 Sep 2006, 12:58 »

I read this story off the net maybe two years ago now. Reasonably gross, but I've read worse. For something in a similiar vein, try Iain Banks, particularly Canal, The Bridge, The Wasp Factory and Complicity. They have the advantage of also being fantastic literature worth far more than their shock value.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #16 on: 05 Sep 2006, 18:13 »

Quote from: Ghostwriter
Quote from: The Wikipedia article for Haunted
According to Palahniuk, the first two tales came from his friends' experiences and the third he heard while shadowing sexual addiction support groups. In one of these groups, he met an extremely thin man. When Palahniuk asked him how he stayed so thin, he told him "I had a massive bowel resectioning." When Palahniuk asked what he meant, he told him the story which was the basis for the third episode in 'Guts'.

There you go.

Oh yeah! I forgot.
Hate, rain on me

OHsmeat

Re: Chuck Palahniuk-Guts
« Reply #17 on: 02 Oct 2006, 22:30 »

that book was wicked awesome and really really gross. I bet he's a big ole sweetheart though that would give you candy whenyou hang out with him.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2007, 15:00 »

I'm resurrecting this topic to talk about Chuck's new book "Rant" in lieu of starting a new topic for just one book.

Anyone else read this yet? I'm about 80% finished with it right now and i'm very impressed so far. It's done in the style of an oral biography so it's a little different than his other books but once you get past the first two chapters or so and get used to it it just gets better and better and becomes more and more Palahniuk-esque.
So, yeah, i'm not finished with it yet but so i far i love it. Anybody else?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Cartilage Head

• Do Me Baby
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2007, 03:17 »

I would actually love to read something DIFFERENT by Palahniuk. That is a word that is not used often to decribe his work.
Hate, rain on me

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2007, 06:45 »

in lieu of starting a new topic for just one book.

What do you mean, "just one book"? We have topics here for just one film. We have topics in the music section for just one album. Hell, we have topics in I Like Fish for just one youtube video! I would've thought it was perfectly reasonable to start a new topic to talk about a new book.

You know, just for the record.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2007, 10:13 »

well, i wasn't sure how many people had actually read this and would have something to say about it.
it definitely deserves it's own topic because it's a spectacular book (and i haven't even finished it yet) that covers many fascinating subjects.
so read it, you people.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2007, 14:05 »

I read Guts.
I laughed out loud at one of the last sentences concerning the fate of his sister.
I thought it was hilarious, but I felt like vomiting the whole time.

Mnementh

« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2007, 15:24 »

Gah.  Zombies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up