THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1960861 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #250 on: 21 Nov 2007, 15:00 »

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/savannahDLX/savannahDLX_frm.htm

I came so hard, this is exactly the body shape, style, and bridge setup I've been looking for for AGES.

Between this and that Italia Rimini doubleneck, I don't know which I'd rather have. I have a pretty severe hard-on for a 12-string and practicality isn't a problem for doublenecks, but I've always wanted a guitar that will feed back and you can still divebomb her.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #251 on: 21 Nov 2007, 15:41 »

pretty severe hard-on for a 12-string

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/nashville12/nashv12_frm.htm

Not a double-neck, but fucking gorgeous.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #252 on: 21 Nov 2007, 16:40 »

dogg if you divebomb a Bigsby expect to spend the next ten minutes retuning
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #253 on: 22 Nov 2007, 03:29 »

After retrofitting her with a graphite nut and locking tuners (a total of like what, $70?), the roller bridge should make it work without fault. Floyd Rose can suck it.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #254 on: 22 Nov 2007, 04:19 »

Ehh, I dunno. My experience with Bigsbys hasn't been too positive, they give me tuning hell. I dislike their general feel as well, especially the clunky vibrato arm. Give me a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato system anyday. That's what I calll smooth.

The design on the model you linked is a bit different from the standard Bigsby though- more roller gadgets, different positioning of spring, and the arm looks like it'd be more comfortable, so perhaps it's an improvement. Locking tuners and graphite nut will certainly help. If you're expecting divebombs though, the Bigsbys I've tried have a downward bend range of about two semitones.

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #255 on: 22 Nov 2007, 07:58 »

My guitar player is currently rockin' this little gem-

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=153&CollectionID=1

If you like bigsbys, this one's amazing.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #256 on: 22 Nov 2007, 14:01 »

Give me a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato system anyday. That's what I calll smooth.

Agreed, but have fun setting it up again every time you change strings.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #257 on: 22 Nov 2007, 21:01 »

http://eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/classic6/images/classic6-big/classic6white.jpg

I am buying you in the spring, guy.

I'm thinking of trading in my Lead II for one of these babies. Would this be a wise deal or should I save up money so I can keep both guitars?

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #258 on: 22 Nov 2007, 23:38 »

Doesn't affect it unless you change string gauge. Talking about string change hell, have you ever tried changing strings on a Bigsby equipped guitar?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #259 on: 23 Nov 2007, 06:58 »

http://eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/classic6/images/classic6-big/classic6white.jpg

I am buying you in the spring, guy.

I'm thinking of trading in my Lead II for one of these babies. Would this be a wise deal or should I save up money so I can keep both guitars?

Give ME the Lead. Easy enough.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #260 on: 23 Nov 2007, 08:23 »

No screw you dude you still have an electric that's intact. Be a pal, hand 'er to me.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #261 on: 23 Nov 2007, 12:02 »

Doesn't affect it unless you change string gauge. Talking about string change hell, have you ever tried changing strings on a Bigsby equipped guitar?

You people have obviously never owned a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar..

*waits for someone who used to own a Steinberger with the TransTrem system to come around and pwn me*

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #262 on: 25 Nov 2007, 10:22 »

Yeah I am a Floyd Rose fan when it comes to trem bridges. I feel like the PRS trem is the next best thing, but there's no other trem system that lets you do horrible, horrible things to your guitar like a Floyd. It has to be a well-made version though, preferably an actual Floyd Rose and not a "licensed" version- although I've heard good things about Ibanez's newer FR-style bridges.

I'm considering getting an Ibanez 7-string* sometime soon (probably the RG Prestige model) so I guess we'll see.

*I have a thing for owning guitars that used to be "cool" but are currently considered way gauche- I had a Jackson soloist back before all the new-generation metal bands re-popularized the brand. I feel like Ibanez, particularly their 7-strings, are post-hype (and more importantly post-shitty-bands-that-endorse-them) so they're probably a good buy nowadays.

Also that new 8-string guitar they're making is RIDICULOUS. You gotta admire any company willing to put THAT friggin' thing on the market.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #263 on: 25 Nov 2007, 10:32 »

Yeah I am a Floyd Rose fan when it comes to trem bridges. I feel like the PRS trem is the next best thing, but there's no other trem system that lets you do horrible, horrible things to your guitar like a Floyd. It has to be a well-made version though, preferably an actual Floyd Rose and not a "licensed" version- although I've heard good things about Ibanez's newer FR-style bridges.

I'm considering getting an Ibanez 7-string* sometime soon (probably the RG Prestige model) so I guess we'll see.

*I have a thing for owning guitars that used to be "cool" but are currently considered way gauche†- I had a Jackson soloist back before all the new-generation metal bands re-popularized the brand. I feel like Ibanez, particularly their 7-strings, are post-hype (and more importantly post-shitty-bands-that-endorse-them) so they're probably a good buy nowadays.

Also that new 8-string guitar they're making is RIDICULOUS. You gotta admire any company willing to put THAT friggin' thing on the market.

†See also PRS guitars right now- I STILL LOVE MY MCCARTY AND I DON'T CARE IF NICKELBACK PLAYS THEM TOO GODDAMNIT

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #264 on: 26 Nov 2007, 07:21 »

See, part of the reason I kinda want a PRS is because Chris from the Larry Arms used to play an SE EG, and I liked how they sounded Ghost Stories-ish.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #265 on: 26 Nov 2007, 08:04 »

I am going to steal my friend's Epiphone Sheraton if he's not careful. I have dreams about that guitar, man.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #266 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:17 »

See, part of the reason I kinda want a PRS is because Chris from the Larry Arms used to play an SE EG, and I liked how they sounded Ghost Stories-ish.

Thing is, PRS make incredible guitars. Their quality control puts literally every other big manufacturer to shame, and a lot of the one-shop hand-made guys too. They just oversaturated the market back in the nu-metal boom of the late 90s/early 00s. Now they're overpriced and have the stigma of god-awful bands swearing by them.

Even their import models are better than just about any other import I've seen outside of the ESP Japan shop (the fancy-pants non-LTD models).

If you can afford a PRS then by all means get one.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #267 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:18 »

I am going to steal my friend's Epiphone Sheraton if he's not careful. I have dreams about that guitar, man.

The Sheratons are their 335-style model, right? Those things are pretty sweet. The Broken Social Scene guys play them sometimes and they sound really good. Semihollows aren't really my thing but they seem like a really good buy for the money.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #268 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:22 »

have the stigma of god-awful bands swearing by them.

On the other hand, Opeth and Porcupine Tree swear by them as well.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #269 on: 26 Nov 2007, 19:26 »

I will keep my opinion of Porcupine Tree to myself.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #270 on: 26 Nov 2007, 21:15 »

Man, I really wish I could find a used Jazzmaster on Craig's List or something.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #271 on: 27 Nov 2007, 01:16 »

The Sheratons are their 335-style model, right? Those things are pretty sweet. The Broken Social Scene guys play them sometimes and they sound really good. Semihollows aren't really my thing but they seem like a really good buy for the money.

One of the many, yeah. Which albums do they play them on, do you know? I've only got their self-titled from '05.

I do know for a fact that Ted Leo has used his Sheraton (plural?) on numerous occasions, as did one John Lee Hooker. The thing that most appeals to me, though, is the fact that you can get warm, controllable feedback without having to blow out your windows.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #272 on: 27 Nov 2007, 02:29 »

*I have a thing for owning guitars that used to be "cool" but are currently considered way gauche- I had a Jackson soloist back before all the new-generation metal bands re-popularized the brand. I feel like Ibanez, particularly their 7-strings, are post-hype (and more importantly post-shitty-bands-that-endorse-them) so they're probably a good buy nowadays.

As for absolute abuse, a Kahler bridge works really well too. Kerry King swears by them...

Say what you will about the man's lead playing, but if it can stand up to his use I'm sure it can stand up to anything.

Oh, and if you're an eBayer, try and find an RG7620 or S7420. You'll thank me later.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #273 on: 27 Nov 2007, 05:07 »

And now for no apparent Reason, My 7-string:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #274 on: 27 Nov 2007, 06:26 »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #275 on: 27 Nov 2007, 06:58 »

That's fuckin' weird.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #276 on: 27 Nov 2007, 07:55 »

That doesn't seem like a bad idea? Good for people who want to practice a lot but live in apartments, or have small babies, or whatever. Unless it does something different to what I imagine it would.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #277 on: 27 Nov 2007, 08:31 »

That doesn't seem like a bad idea? Good for people who want to practice a lot but live in apartments, or have small babies, or whatever. Unless it does something different to what I imagine it would.

Honestly, when there are things like the Line 6 POD series on the market, it seems like an extraordinarily daft idea, to me at least.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #278 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:13 »

No way man POD is a shitty band

lol see wut i did there????????

Spinless

« Reply #279 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:53 »

Yes, now don't do it again.
I keep trying to understand you guys and your guitar obsessions, but it' always been alien to me. Rather like people who can name more than three cars.
However, recently I have started to become more aware about the subtleties in the sound that each little difference on your guitar can make. Maybe, some day, I will finally be able to understand people who have a favourite car?

I'm under the impression that once you know enough about guitars, and their sounds, that playing guitar becomes a very expensive habit, with people buying guitars like drugs in order to satisfy their craving for each flavour. Can anybody confirm this for me?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2007, 11:02 by Spinless »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #280 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:59 »

I can speak for three people AND myself when I say yes. It's like cocaine, man.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #281 on: 27 Nov 2007, 11:33 »

I own seven electric guitars, and have no intention of stopping at that.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #282 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:38 »

guitars guitars guitars guitars

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #283 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:55 »

No it's not like cocaine, because guitars are value for money whereas cocaine isn't.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #284 on: 27 Nov 2007, 12:58 »

No it's not like cocaine, because guitars are value for money whereas cocaine isn't.

I love you.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #285 on: 27 Nov 2007, 13:57 »

I can speak for three people AND myself when I say yes. It's like cocaine, man.

Dude it is worse than cocaine. I think. I've not done cocaine, but guitars, yes.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #286 on: 27 Nov 2007, 15:29 »

Man, I don't even want to know how many different guitars I've played over the years. I seriously added like 17 to my list when I hit up Guitar Center for an hour and a half in Reno this September.

Those stores are fucking dangerous, man. I didn't leave until I'd spent over $700 on gear. Fortunately the high lasts SO MUCH LONGER than any recorded drug high I've ever heard of, but playing the SG that I finally made mine was something akin to shagging Scarlett Johannson while enjoying an excellent 18-year scotch and a fine Dominican cigar.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #287 on: 27 Nov 2007, 17:17 »

:-D - it is tricky balancing both the ashtray and the highball glass on her asscheeks while you ram her

Incidentally, got my RG Prestige 7-string today. Fucker is THICK. Time to start learning some Pig Destroyer riffs.

Jasper

« Reply #288 on: 27 Nov 2007, 22:52 »

1988 Yamaha RGX312. It's my dad's old one since he bought a new Tele, so I'm thinking of swapping out for my own. But that's a different topic. :laugh:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #289 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:00 »

Those stores are fucking dangerous, man.

I'll go in to my local just to buy strings, and half an hour later I'm still there, strings unpurchased. It's horrid, fucking horrid.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #290 on: 28 Nov 2007, 08:15 »

:-D - it is tricky balancing both the ashtray and the highball glass on her asscheeks while you ram her

Incidentally, got my RG Prestige 7-string today. Fucker is THICK. Time to start learning some Pig Destroyer riffs.

:laugh: I'm so proud of you Jeph!

Which model is it? Pics, or it didn't happen!

imapiratearg

« Reply #291 on: 28 Nov 2007, 09:34 »

Okay, I must pose a question.  I want a new guitar, I like single coil sounds with lots of distortion and the clean Strat sounds a la Built to Spill, Yo La Tengo, Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth.  BUT!  I also really like The Weakerthans and want to start a band that sounds like them.  I really want a Jazzmaster, because (I think) it can give me all those sounds as I mentioned before, but I'm not so sure about sounding like The Weakerthans.  I was thinking a semi-hollow would work well for folk rock or folk punk.

I guess I'm going to pose two questions here: Jazzmaster or '59 Dano? (I plan to use a Voodoo Labs Superfuzz with whichever one.  I'm leaning more towards the Jazzmaster because of the warmer soap bar pickups.)

and

Would a semi-hollow allow me to sound similar to the guitarists in The Weakerthans?

I would appreciate some help, because I can never make up my mind.  :|

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #292 on: 28 Nov 2007, 09:38 »

Maybe an HSS strat?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #293 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:32 »

If you want Yo La Tengo,  :-D Jr. or Sonic Youth sounds, get a Jag. Seriously, the guitarists from EVERY ONE OF THOSE BANDS uses a Jaguar. Too bad the damn things are a grand and a half.

My suggestion if you don't feel like spending a butt-ton of money on a guitar thaht is a bitch and a half to set up: get a Strat and remove the string trees from the headstock. I hate those damn things anyway and I'm probably going to do it on my '06 Squier Bullet (fuck yeah, discontinued!) just so I can kill some sustain. Need a place to store your string trees when you're done taking them off, but want to keep them around just in case? Just Scotch tape them to the inside of the pickguard.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #294 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:49 »

J Mascis just got a signature Jazzmaster.

Jazzmaster, Pat.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #295 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:57 »

That SON OF A BITCH. I don't even have my own NON-signature Jazz or Jag.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #296 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:58 »

No. Buy something else and dick around with it until you find a sound that's all you instead.

PS: Fender sucks.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #297 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:02 »

The Mustang is a good cheaper alternative to the jag, but it's not as warm and vintage sounding.

But I agree with Lummer, Fender does suck.

If you're really looking to achieve all those sounds, but still want your own tones too, you should consider the DiPinto Galaxie 4... 4 pickups means that virtually anything is possible.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #298 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:57 »

I doubt it's as versatile as it could be. Give me an on-off switch and a vol and tone pot for every pickup and then we'll talk.

imapiratearg

« Reply #299 on: 28 Nov 2007, 13:09 »

I like Fender guitars.  I like the Squire Strat I have now, but the neck is too thin for me.  I really want something more professional.  I read up on Jazzmasters and decided that I want one because it can do a good clean and you can get really warm distortion out of it.  I'll check out this DePinto, though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 86   Go Up