THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1960642 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #600 on: 20 Dec 2007, 18:23 »

It's definitely Tele-inspired, and yes, the TC probably stands for "Telecaster", but it's definitely a different piece. For example, she appears to have a set neck.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

InitiateFailure

« Reply #601 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:02 »

It's definitely Tele-inspired, and yes, the TC probably stands for "Telecaster", but it's definitely a different piece. For example, she appears to have a set neck.

Yeah it is set, and the neck's much flatter than any of the tele's I've played which is one of the reasons I loved it.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #602 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:11 »

I would very much like to have intercourse with that TC.

It is THAT awesome.

I want a Reverend Manta Ray. Besides, with that name, I can only think of an priest gunslinger bible in one hand, six-shooter in the other, and I want to play something like that.

Really.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #603 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:01 »

That TC-90 is indeed gorgeous.  I kind of wish they made them in different finishes though.

EDIT: Nvm, I just looked it up on Musiciansfriend and it comes in white and is even more gorgeous.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2007, 20:04 by greenMonkey »

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #604 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:12 »

Oh my god...are those soap bar pickups?  I think I might have to get a guitar like that...It is a beautiful instrument.

>.<  Damnit!

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #605 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:23 »

They're Seymour Duncan P-90s.

InitiateFailure

« Reply #606 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:24 »

I want a Reverend Manta Ray. Besides, with that name, I can only think of an priest gunslinger bible in one hand, six-shooter in the other, and I want to play something like that.

Haha, it helps that the manta ray looks pretty cool too.

Oh my god...are those soap bar pickups?  I think I might have to get a guitar like that...It is a beautiful instrument.

>.<  Damnit!

And it has great tone, at least for everything I've tried to play on it, so it's pretty damn versatile for me. I feel lucky 'cause I haven't seen another one (in my area at least) before or after getting this one.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #607 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:26 »

Yeah it is set, and the neck's much flatter than any of the tele's I've played which is one of the reasons I loved it.

I have mixed feelings about flat necks. While I adore being able to play stupid-fast riffs, the muscles in my thumb start to get really sore after a long day of bar/barre/whatever chords. Either way though, HOLY SHIT SEMI-HOLLOW FENDER WITH GOOD FRET REACH.

On Monday I finally sent my SG back to Gibson to get her repaired or replaced. They said the typical return time is 2 weeks, but this time a year it gets bumped to 3 or so. Either way, I won't see her again until I'm back in CA in March.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #608 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:37 »

I am afraid I will have to buy this in the coming year..

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #609 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:44 »

How's that? 
Every time I've played a Firebird I've thought it just about the best balanced instrument I've ever held.  Is yours reverse or Fender styled?

I know it's pretty much a completely different beast, but Thunderbird basses are notorious for their ridiculous neck dive.
I had one, and it was awful.
That's kind of always turned me away from buying a Firebird because I figured it was a body shape thing.
Then again, I can't stand my mates SG because I constantly need to hold the neck up.
With these new testimonials from both Beastmouth and Jeph, I may look into a Firebird, because I've always loved the shape and sound.

Yeah, one thing y'll have to remember is that the Thunderbird was Gibson's first long-scale bass, so they probably did put a little too much weight on the neck end. 

Also, on that thing above me, why?
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #610 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:55 »

Also, on that thing above me, why?

Mainly because of the specs on it. Also, it is the first decent Ibanez 7-string with a fixed bridge to be produced in AGES!
It is a mahogany body with a maple top, neck-thru walnut/mahogany neck and comes with a set of decent DiMarzios. Sounds cool to me!

The shape also lends itself well to some of the music I play.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #611 on: 21 Dec 2007, 15:24 »

Why the hell are they using maple, mahogany, and walnut if they're putting an opaque finish on there? Those woods are too beautiful to justify covering them up.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #612 on: 21 Dec 2007, 17:00 »

I am afraid I will have to buy this in the coming year..

I'll have to borrow it from you so I can gouge out my eyes with the headstock.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

« Reply #613 on: 21 Dec 2007, 17:44 »

The other end would work better.  I mean, damn,  look at that upper bout at the tail.  You could probably cut down a tree with that axe.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 19:27 by imapiratearg »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #614 on: 21 Dec 2007, 17:57 »

I see what you did there.

Edit: Oh what the fuck, I passed 4000? Weird.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 18:44 by KimJongSick »

Beastmouth

« Reply #615 on: 21 Dec 2007, 18:17 »

Yes, it's an odd body.  The reversre headstock I like, tho; I find tuning a touch easier on a reverse headstock.  What I just can't understand is those inlays.  What on earth?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #616 on: 22 Dec 2007, 05:25 »

Why the hell are they using maple, mahogany, and walnut if they're putting an opaque finish on there? Those woods are too beautiful to justify covering them up.

My thought exactly. I can't decide whether I like that colour-changing finish or not. It does look at LOT better in real life, though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #617 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:08 »

The only problem I have with my Firebird is that it's prone to diving down neckwards because of the headstock. Oh wells.
How's that? 
Every time I've played a Firebird I've thought it just about the best balanced instrument I've ever held.  Is yours reverse or Fender styled?

Epiphone! Bolt-on neck.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #618 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:35 »

lummer, isn't that the artist guitar for one of the guys in Necrophagist?

Yes and no. He is the posterboy for it, but it isn't a signature model as such.

hellion

« Reply #619 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:58 »

DO want.

Jposh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #620 on: 22 Dec 2007, 15:43 »

Well, because of being verbally beat senseless after my first post, I've been avoiding posting, but this is a special case.

I've wanted to play Guitar for a long time, and have finally sat down with my mom's acoustic, to learn a few notes and chords. I've kind of realized that I could use some lessons but, because of the incredibly shitty economy, at least locally, if not elsewhere, there is a lack of money in my household, and I can't afford them. I can afford music books though, so does anybody have any suggestions for a good one? Does anybody have an idea as to what else I could do to try and teach myself?

Also, I plan on eventually going to electric to, and I was looking at 7 strings, any ideas as to what I should get? I know it will be kind of expensive, but I can save some money, and I might be able to get my mom to match it

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #621 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:22 »

Just get any book with a good explanation (with pictures/diagrams) of open and barre chords and scales. From there, you'll be able to teach yourself just fine.

When I originally started playing, mine came with a DVD which I found pretty helpful since I mainly taught myself.

P.S. I promised pictures of the onboard wah guitar we have at my work. I didn't wanna bring a camera in to work (kinda weird) so I just checked the manufacturer and found it online.

This in a teal finish.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 19:32 by Ballard »
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #622 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:36 »

I like how they pretty much just jacked the Fender headstock shape and put a notch in the little ball end.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #623 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:54 »

Dude so did like half the guitar companies in the world.

Also that was snarky and useless as a post. What are you, Zerodrone?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #624 on: 22 Dec 2007, 20:00 »

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW EUGENE

Why yes, this is in fact the same photo as in the photo thread. And yeah I took that McDonald's sticker off 'cause of you whiny whiners.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #625 on: 22 Dec 2007, 20:41 »

I played one of these (a Gretsch G5135 Electromatic Corvettee) at a Sam Ash in NYC, and I think I'm in love.

And for only $525, too. If you played one, you'd never believe that it was this cheap.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #626 on: 22 Dec 2007, 20:42 »

Dang, that Gretsch is sexy shit (as always with Gretsch)

What is the deal with the f-hole on that wah guitar? Weeird.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

imapiratearg

« Reply #627 on: 22 Dec 2007, 20:51 »

That's a sweet looking Gretch.  I played one today at Guitar Sam in Montpelier.  I didn't really like the pickups...I also played a Gibson SG Gothic, and I didn't really like the pickups on that either.  I don't know what it is, I just don't like humbuckers very much.  :\

I played this custom Squire Strat with all stacked pickups, though.  That sounded pretty bitchin'.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 21:50 by imapiratearg »

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #628 on: 22 Dec 2007, 21:05 »

holy crap, i want that Gretsch (but without the trem)!

what colours does it come in?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #629 on: 22 Dec 2007, 22:45 »

Faded cherry and faded brown I think.

The F-hole makes the wah guitar all the more cool.

Yeah, Gretsch's Electromatic series has some really cool shit for pretty decent prices.

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #630 on: 23 Dec 2007, 05:02 »

I'm pretty sure this is the best guitar I've ever seen...

For anyone who remembers my bass quest, I finally bought one, and have been playing around with it. Whatever I learnt about playing the guitar when I was 13, I've either completely forgotten or found that it's not applicable to bass, lolz. But I'm having fun anyway! Also the test results on my buggered wrist have all been inconclusive, so eh, I'll just keep playing 'til my hand drops off, or something.

Beastmouth

« Reply #631 on: 23 Dec 2007, 05:07 »

I like how they pretty much just jacked the Fender headstock shape and put a notch in the little ball end.
You mean Paul Bigsby's headstock shape that Leo Fender jacked?

InitiateFailure

« Reply #632 on: 23 Dec 2007, 16:35 »

Dang, that Gretsch is sexy shit (as always with Gretsch)

What is the deal with the f-hole on that wah guitar? Weeird.

I thought it was a pretty bitchin' f-hole on the wah guitar.

Although, I feel like I may be too stupid to figure out where the control for the wah is? I like the channel select-knob at top-left though (unless that's wah control. In that case I like the wah control)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #633 on: 24 Dec 2007, 00:16 »

Although, I feel like I may be too stupid to figure out where the control for the wah is? I like the channel select-knob at top-left though (unless that's wah control. In that case I like the wah control)

No you're right- the black "chicken feet" style knob is a tone knob. Different stages of overdrive. The bottom tone and volume knobs are push-pull and pushing both of them turns on the wah, which is under the pickguard. You use it by moving your fingers around, lkind of ike a theremin.
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2007, 02:08 by Ballard »

dalconnsuch

« Reply #634 on: 24 Dec 2007, 00:51 »

Hi I'm new so I'm not too sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes anyway.

My dad just gave me his Squier strat as he just bought a new guitar. I have been teaching myself for the past week or so, scales and strumming patterns.
So i was wondering if any of you could suggest any easy songs to start me off.

thanks in advance for any help, and if I have posted this in the wrong thread i apologise.

i HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend not learning songs yet, learn some basic music theory (including WHAT a scale is and how it matters) and learn a bunch of chords, includin gall of your open chords both majors and minors, and the two main barre chord formations, don't make the mistake of "learning by playing songs" that doesn't get you anywhere really but once your confident that you know enough about the guitar to consider yourself some level of a guitar player learn some folk songs, i highly recommend anything old-age bob dylan for chord strumming fun! and stay away from drop-D tuned songs! 9 out of 10 times they're just doing it to "cheat a bar"

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #635 on: 24 Dec 2007, 02:12 »

I disagree almost entirely with dalconnsuch.

It's better to learn your chords and scales first before moving on to songs but if you take either method too seriously, you'll wind up burning out. Learn a couple of major chords, and then learn a song with those chords in it. Or better yet, find a song made up entirely of open chords and learn it, making sure to learn what each chord is and not just the song.

Also drop D is a cool tuning if you use it properly, just like any other tuning. There's a stigma surrounding it because it's used for a lot of shred metal, but that doesn't make it any better or worse.

alfrogy

« Reply #636 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:07 »

Thanks for the advice, I have memorised most of the major chords and some of the minor ones. I really struggle with th barre chords right now though I can't seem to keep my finger pressed down firmly enough on all the strings there are always a few that are muted.

Oh and can anyone give me a few good websites I can check out, most of the ones I've tried so far have been really vague.

Thanks for everything so far though.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #637 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:32 »

Struggling with barre chords is totally normal. I could play open chords fairly well in a number of weeks to a month, but it took me 3 or 4 months to really play barre chords cleanly, and even longer to learn to switch to/between them quickly and accurately.

Websites..

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/
If you need song tabs. You've probably found a tab site already but you basically can't find anything anywhere else that you won't find here. It's the definitive source. If you use 911 Tabs, it's an aggregator rather than a provider. Most of their results come from Ultimate Guitar and the ones that don't are the same tabs that do.

http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/
Cool, easy to follow lessons starting from the very basics and ending with difficult fingerstyle and music theory lessons. You have to sign up to access 'em but they're worth it and the people on the forums are nice, if mostly old fogeys and jazz/rhythm & blues snobs.

http://www.tunemybass.com/
Guitar/bass tuner. There's a ton of presets (standard, drop D, open tunings) but you can set it to any strange tuning you want string by string. Pretty useful until you learn to tune by ear and/or get a tuner. (it's still important to get used to the tuner because it's an integral part of playing any live show. doing it by ear just won't cut it, or shouldn't IMHO)

Good luck! Most importantly enjoy yourself. Never get caught up on scales or any dumb shit someone might tell you to learn. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #638 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:50 »

Why learn chords if you're not going to learn the scales that fit them?  :-o

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #639 on: 24 Dec 2007, 06:07 »

And yeah I took that McDonald's sticker off 'cause of you whiny whiners.

FUCKING SELLOUT.

On the subject of inexpensive Gretsches: the G5120 is beautiful (clear pickguard aside).
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2007, 07:30 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #640 on: 24 Dec 2007, 09:27 »

Why learn chords if you're not going to learn the scales that fit them?  :-o

Because you can write a solo without knowing the scales. These days I mostly ignore them anyway.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #641 on: 24 Dec 2007, 10:14 »

Also drop D is a cool tuning if you use it properly

The guy from Billy Talent uses it religiously. That guy's got some -epic- riffs, despite the band being hellishly emo.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #642 on: 24 Dec 2007, 10:43 »

I am buying a Danelectro 59, I decided this a few minutes ago. It will help me do stuff that isn't wallowing in apathy. Now i need to find a place that sells them here.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #643 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:05 »

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #644 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:46 »

Quote from: musiciansfriend

International orders
     Question

Can I ship my order outside of the US?
     Answer

We are currently able to ship the following brands Internationally if you call 800-391-8762. We cannot ship Internationally via our website.

* Axman
    * Black Label
    * Digital Reference
    * DR Pro
    * Giardinelli
    * Livewire
    * Mitchell
    * Musician's Gear
    * Musician's Friend
    * Proline
    * Pulse
    * Roadrunner
    * Rogue
    * Silver Creek
    * Simmons
    * Sound Percussion
    * Sterling Audio
    * Williams

[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #645 on: 24 Dec 2007, 16:09 »

I've got a black Mexican Fender Telecaster Custom, the one with the humbucker at the neck. Its a really sweet guitar, wouldn't trade it for anything, except one of them fully digital Gibson Les Pauls mmmmm  :lol:
Get off my land

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #646 on: 24 Dec 2007, 16:54 »

Also drop D is a cool tuning if you use it properly

The guy from Billy Talent uses it religiously. That guy's got some -epic- riffs, despite the band being hellishly emo.

Not to forget Tool and Porcupine Tree.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #647 on: 24 Dec 2007, 17:32 »

Ah, Ian D'Sa is one of the biggest influences on my guitar playing. The chordal parts that don't stay in one place, the conscious effort to do rhythm and lead at the same time. And is tone is great too, chiming but jagged.

InitiateFailure

« Reply #648 on: 24 Dec 2007, 19:12 »

No you're right- the black "chicken feet" style knob is a tone knob. Different stages of overdrive. The bottom tone and volume knobs are push-pull and pushing both of them turns on the wah, which is under the pickguard. You use it by moving your fingers around, lkind of ike a theremin.

Sounds like a pretty sweet design. I wish someplace around here had something with onboard effects so I could check it out

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #649 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:03 »

Because you can write a solo without knowing the scales. These days I mostly ignore them anyway.

You can write solos - good solos - without knowing scales. The chances that they won't clash with a chord progression when you know nothing about the scales is very very slim, however, and it distortion only makes it worse.

Anyone who learns chords should know at least the notes that make those chords and a few basic guidelines of composition and scale theory at some point. Hell, knowing scale theory can mean you never have to learn a scale on its own again.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 86   Go Up