THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 86   Go Down

Author Topic: The Guitar Topic  (Read 1960679 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Re: The Guitar Topic
« Reply #650 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:49 »

Composing solos is kindof lame anyway. It's way better to do spur-of-the-moment improvisation.

I hellof got a Duncan soundhole pickup for my Kay for Atheist Kids Get Cool Shit Day, as well as a Boss DD-20. I'm jazzed as fuck.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

dalconnsuch

« Reply #651 on: 25 Dec 2007, 21:57 »

Composing solos is kindof lame anyway. It's way better to do spur-of-the-moment improvisation.

I hellof got a Duncan soundhole pickup for my Kay for Atheist Kids Get Cool Shit Day, as well as a Boss DD-20. I'm jazzed as fuck.

i don't agree with that statement at all, composing solos is just like composing songs if you want to compose a solo well then fuck, artistic freedom too ya! you can go ahead and do the spur of the moment stuff (i do it too) but some of the best solos are composed versus spur of the moment improvs, case in point, the stairway to heaven solo, eruption by van halen, just about every solo by dragonforce, yngwie malmsteen, steve vai, jeff bec, clapton, the list goes on, there is nothing wrong with it at all, its all on what the artist wants to do

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #652 on: 26 Dec 2007, 03:44 »

Because you can write a solo without knowing the scales. These days I mostly ignore them anyway.

You can write solos - good solos - without knowing scales. The chances that they won't clash with a chord progression when you know nothing about the scales is very very slim, however, and it distortion only makes it worse.

Anyone who learns chords should know at least the notes that make those chords and a few basic guidelines of composition and scale theory at some point. Hell, knowing scale theory can mean you never have to learn a scale on its own again.

Yup.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #653 on: 26 Dec 2007, 04:36 »

Learning the scales opens up so many different doors. If you just learn the different shapes for the minor pentatonic scales its really easy to use them in any key and in any way you want. I mostly play the blues and they are just perfect for it. I hardly ever learn songs anymore i just make up my own licks and jam with other guys. Nothing like soloing.
Get off my land

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #654 on: 26 Dec 2007, 05:09 »

Yeah this is probably what I neglected to say, is that while I ignore the scales, I had to learn them first to ignore them. When I write I just deliberately to write stuff with non-diatonic notes and chords in it, but I wouldn't be able to do that very well without knowing the theory first.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #655 on: 26 Dec 2007, 09:20 »

One complaint about my delay pedal: doesn't switch delay times fast enough to get that trippy-ass flutter effect.

dalconnsuch

« Reply #656 on: 26 Dec 2007, 12:00 »

Yeah this is probably what I neglected to say, is that while I ignore the scales, I had to learn them first to ignore them. When I write I just deliberately to write stuff with non-diatonic notes and chords in it, but I wouldn't be able to do that very well without knowing the theory first.

i still recommend you learning theory, the more you know the more music knowledge you have in your composing tool box, i respect your artistic views on that but i can't stress enough about the importants of learning music theory even if your not gonna use it lol

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #657 on: 26 Dec 2007, 13:42 »

Both theory and scales are useful but necessarily required basic material. I learned rhythm guitar for the first 6 or 7 months and practically ignored scales. While I admit that this decision bit me in the ass a bit when I finally decided to learn lead, it only took me a week or so to catch up and it was more productive and less frustrating than if I had tried to learn them around the same time as chords.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #658 on: 26 Dec 2007, 15:24 »

Yeah this is probably what I neglected to say, is that [size=20]while I ignore the scales, I had to learn them first to ignore them.[/size] When I write I just deliberately to write stuff with non-diatonic notes and chords in it, but I wouldn't be able to do that very well without knowing the theory first.

i still recommend you learning theory, the more you know the more music knowledge you have in your composing tool box, i respect your artistic views on that but i can't stress enough about the importants of learning music theory even if your not gonna use it lol

...dude, are you actually READING my post?

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #659 on: 27 Dec 2007, 10:16 »

Yeah this is probably what I neglected to say, is that [size=20]while I ignore the scales, I had to learn them first to ignore them.[/size] When I write I just deliberately to write stuff with non-diatonic notes and chords in it, but I wouldn't be able to do that very well without knowing the theory first.

...dude, are you actually READING my post?

POST NUMBER 666 IN THIS THREAD!

JackyL

« Reply #660 on: 27 Dec 2007, 11:00 »

[img width= height=]http://www.nantelmusique.qc.ca/upload/Speciaux/b4fl.jpg[/img]

I thought I would bring some bass action before you guys completely rape my eyes (literally) with your guitar/penis pics....

This is my bass, and my first post :lol: I also have an upright.. and an acoustic.. and an ashbury.. I need to buy fewer basses >.<

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #661 on: 27 Dec 2007, 11:56 »

I also have an upright..

I thought you were talking about an upright piano at first.  But then I remembered there were upright basses too.

Man, I want a piano.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #662 on: 27 Dec 2007, 12:06 »

Oooh, fretless <3

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #663 on: 27 Dec 2007, 12:17 »

I have to say, I have been rather impressed with Cort's most recent efforts.  I liked the Curbow, I loved the Elrick, and the GB series jazz basses are great. 

JackyL

« Reply #664 on: 27 Dec 2007, 12:49 »

When I went to look for a fretless my good buddy showed me a custom he had built that is almost identical to the court. Swamp ash body, wegie wood neck (which sounds amazing with flatwounds), Bartolini mk 1 picks, and solid on board electronics. My next conquest is 6 sting Warwick to satisfy my metal obsessions.

dalconnsuch

« Reply #665 on: 27 Dec 2007, 13:39 »

ooooh basses, this is where i work been playin bass since i was 6, well before my guitar days

i have a fretless rickenbacker, its my baby, plkayin fretless is hard man, study up on yer theory! i ain' tkiddin around

JackyL

« Reply #666 on: 27 Dec 2007, 13:54 »

I'm going to college on a string bass scholarship and I'm taking AP theory in high school as we speak and loving it so theory is not a huge problem for me. :lol: It's good to know that someone else out there isn't afraid of that beautiful fretless sound, it's well worth the practice! Sometimes its hard for me to play fretted instruments because I feel really limited as far as pitch control and slides and whatnot. I wish I had a Rick, classic sound like that is not easy to come by.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #667 on: 28 Dec 2007, 07:51 »

I'd love to get an upright bass someday.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #668 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:12 »

I play an upright in my school's string orchestra.

It's beginner string orchestra and I got suckered into doing it so it's rather boring.

imapiratearg

« Reply #669 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:14 »

I'd love to get an upright bass someday.

I'd love to get an upright piano.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #670 on: 28 Dec 2007, 15:22 »

I need a new bass. With my back issues, my current one is killing me. It's so heavy, man, it's ridiculous. I'm going to trade it in for another one.

thermodynamics

« Reply #671 on: 28 Dec 2007, 16:49 »

i love my black 1978 fender musicmaster bass to death. of course, it has the single coil traded for a seymour-duncan musicman alnico-5 humbucking pickup, but the ease of playing a short scale bass makes it a joy on stage. that and it is so fucking light. i throw it around :) mine was only $275 in a pawnshop.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #672 on: 31 Dec 2007, 09:57 »

I have a question for you guys. This is the current object of my affections (sorry Eastwood)

It plays like a beast, and is absolutely gorgeous. Also I usually prefer maple necks. But shit, tell me this guitar wouldn't look better with a rosewood fretboard?

Is there any way to keep the maple fretboard but dye it black or something? I'm not attached enough to the maple tone to never trade it up for real rosewood, but new necks are hells of expensive.

Maybe if I got it aged it'd look nicer. But brand new and sparkling clean it looks really ehhh.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #673 on: 31 Dec 2007, 10:04 »

Dude just buy that guitar and treat it like a newborn. They sound so great.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #674 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:02 »

Is there any way to keep the maple fretboard but dye it black or something? I'm not attached enough to the maple tone to never trade it up for real rosewood, but new necks are hells of expensive.

There's no great way to dye a finsihed neck.  You'd have to strip out the frets and take out the nut and remove the clear coat.  And then, you'd never get it dyed to match how you want it.  It's just not worth it.

You're right, though.  I had thought you were going for the George Harrison all-rosewood guitar look, and checked Warmoth for an all rosewood replacement neck- $899-$999.  No frets, no nut, just a neck.  Yikes. 

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #675 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:27 »

Just play it with sweaty hands nonstop for about 12 years and you will get a nice grime buildup on there.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #676 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:36 »

Way to be like every stereotypical sensei in every kung fu movie of the last 40 years Pat.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #677 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:41 »

Yngwie fucking Malmsteen, man.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #678 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:48 »

Have there really been any true fung fu movies in the last ten years? I vote NO.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #679 on: 31 Dec 2007, 13:11 »

What the fuck are you talking about, Scribbles?

Afro Samurai. 'nuff said.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #680 on: 31 Dec 2007, 13:21 »

JET FUCKING LI, MAN

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #681 on: 01 Jan 2008, 14:22 »

So guys, I'm taking my Dano in for a setup soon, and I'm wondering what kind/guage strings to put on it.  I have no idea what kind are on there now.  Advice?

FUBAR

« Reply #682 on: 01 Jan 2008, 14:33 »

Have there really been any true fung fu movies in the last ten years? I vote NO.

Did you not watch Fearless?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #683 on: 01 Jan 2008, 15:22 »

So guys, I'm taking my Dano in for a setup soon, and I'm wondering what kind/guage strings to put on it.  I have no idea what kind are on there now.  Advice?

.10s. There're probably .09s on there now. .10s sound better.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #684 on: 01 Jan 2008, 16:20 »

WHAT'S THAT, JEPH? DID I HEAR YOU SAY ".10"? PUSSING OUT FOR LIGHTER GAUGE STRINGS, I TAKE IT?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #685 on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:27 »

BITCH I'MA CUT YOU
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #686 on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:43 »

I have a question for you guys. This is the current object of my affections (sorry Eastwood)

It plays like a beast, and is absolutely gorgeous. Also I usually prefer maple necks. But shit, tell me this guitar wouldn't look better with a rosewood fretboard?

Maybe if I got it aged it'd look nicer. But brand new and sparkling clean it looks really ehhh.

I have one of those. Amazing guitar, it is.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #687 on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:46 »

BITCH I'MA CUT YOU

LET ME GUESS, YOU'RE GONNA USE .10-.46 STRINGS AREN'T YOU

PUSSY

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #688 on: 02 Jan 2008, 06:21 »

BITCHES, I ALSO REQUIRE BRAND ADVICE

Thanks for the tips!

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #689 on: 02 Jan 2008, 12:45 »

BITCHES, I ALSO REQUIRE BRAND ADVICE

Thanks for the tips!
Strings?  Don't waste money on Elixirs or any of that fancy junk.  I've had good luck with D'Addario XLs, for me, they sound good and last.  Most importantly, play 11s.  Anything less is just asking to break a string every other week.
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

imapiratearg

« Reply #690 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:15 »

break a string every other week.

:oops:  I guess I should play something heavier.

...Or get better at guitar.  One or the other.

Ryder

« Reply #691 on: 02 Jan 2008, 20:39 »

I just got an old Danelectro Baritone. I've started using instead of bass, and I'm loving it.

My other guitars are an SG 101, a Tele, a Les Paul, a Collings acoustic/electric, and this custom, but unnamed brand acoustic. Some nice variations.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #692 on: 03 Jan 2008, 01:53 »

My dads started collecting old acoustic guitars from the 1930's off of ebay. Some of them sound really really sweet. I got this little thing that you put on the tone pot of the guitar called black ice which turns the tone pot into an on guitar overdrive system. It's pretty cool but i miss my tone.
Get off my land

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #693 on: 03 Jan 2008, 02:01 »

That would drive me nuts, having to trade one of my tone knobs with an overdrive knob. I'll stick with putting stompboxes (sans springs) on top of my amp.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #694 on: 03 Jan 2008, 02:12 »

Yeah it's not that brilliant for just practicing, my dad bought it on a whim. It would be cool if you were in a band and were playing quite a quiet song then you could rip into and awesome solo. Unfortunately me equals no band. :|
Get off my land

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #695 on: 03 Jan 2008, 02:45 »

I just got an old Danelectro Baritone. I've started using instead of bass, and I'm loving it.

I would love to do this.  I would play Evens songs constantly.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #696 on: 03 Jan 2008, 19:57 »

Been catchin' some John Mayer licks by ear. Guy knows his blues. Mostly pentatonic jollying around, but these days what isn't*?

Other than that, been spoiling my '79 Pro Reverb, and been wiggling around in Open Tunings with my Fender acoustic.

What are -YOU- guys up to?

* - In the mainstream music. Don't get all indie on me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #697 on: 04 Jan 2008, 00:01 »

Lufthansa finally found all my shit again, so I have my cables and my delay pedal back. I need to get my Marshall back from my friend. When I do, it's Ted Leo cover time.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #698 on: 04 Jan 2008, 07:08 »

Keep it and tell him it got lost. *nods*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #699 on: 04 Jan 2008, 09:07 »

I hate you, Gretsch.

HATE YOU.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 86   Go Up