THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 00:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Books I should have read.  (Read 11386 times)

CmonMiracle

Books I should have read.
« on: 22 Jun 2007, 21:56 »

Talking with some gabblers, it occurred to me that the only good books/literature I ever read where the ones that were required to me in grade (1-12) school. I never really ventured outside of that to read books that would be considered good, because I never had anyone to recommend me anything.

So this is where you guys come in. What were some books you read as a youth that is considered essential reading for me? Remember, I've only read books like Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby...seriously, just books on the required reading list. HELP!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Books I should have read.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2007, 22:02 »

Lolita, The Sun Also Rises, Catch-22, Of Mice And Men (and, if you think that was good, The Winter Of Our Discontent), and I know there are more I'm forgetting.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2007, 22:12 »

Al lot of these are going to be sci-fi/fantasy, because thats how I roll. By no means all though.

Iain Banks - The Bridge
Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
Iain M Banks - Against a Dark Background
Iain M Banks - Feersum Endjinn
Iain M Banks - The Use of Weapons
Alfred Bester - The Demolished Man
John Crowley - The Deep
John Crowley - Engine Summer
Philip Jose Farmer - The Riverworld Saga
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
Frank Herbert - Dune
D H Lawrence - Lady Chatterleys Lover
Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu - Carmilla
Ursula K LeGuin - The Earthsea Trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea/The Tombs of Atuan/The Farthest Shore)
Ursula K Leguin - The Left Hand of Darkness
Ursula K LeGuin - The Word For World is Forest
Mervyn Peake - The Gormenghast trilogy (Titus Groan/Gormenghast/Titus Alone)
Kim Stanley Robinson - The Years of Rice and Salt
Dorothy L Sayers - Clouds of Witness
Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson - The Illuminatus! Trilogy (The Eye in the Pyramid/The Golden Apple/Leviathan. Normally sold together).
Gene Wolf - The Book of the New Sun (The Shadow of the Torturer/The Claw of the Conciliator/The Sword of the Lictor/The Citadel of the Autarch)
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jun 2007, 03:21 »

Stephan Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (All 6 books) - only good if you don't mind protagonists who are completely unlikeable.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2007, 05:28 »

Johnathan Safron Foer - Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and Everything's Illuminated.

Toni Morrison - Beloved.
Hate, rain on me

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2007, 08:55 »

David Eggers - A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius
Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime
Johnathan Franzen - The Corrections
Jonathan Lethem - Fortress Of Solitude
Jonathan Lethem - Motherless Brooklyn
Italo Calvino - If on a winter's night a traveller
Leo Tolstoy - The Death Of Ivan Ilyich
DBC Pierre - Vernon God Little
Michael Chabon - The Amazing Adventures Of Kavalier & Clay
Mordecai Richler - Barney's Version
Truman Capote - In Cold Blood
(and, if you liked that last one, Murder In Coweta County by Margaret Anne Barnes - lesser known, but really powerful)
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2007, 08:57 by Johnny C »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2007, 19:36 »

Upton Sinclair - The Jungle.

Wikipedia link!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2007, 19:40 »

Terry Pratchett - The Color Of Magic. If you like this you'll probably end up reading the other ~25 books in the Discworld series, which is no bad thing, but everyone should at least read the first one.

Ursula K LeGuin - The Earthsea Trilogy (A Wizard of Earthsea/The Tombs of Atuan/The Farthest Shore)

Fuckin' A right, I loved this and re-read it to death when I was younger. Brilliant.

Good call on the Banks too, The Bridge might well be my favourite one. (Although really there's no bad ones, I'm a total fanboy.)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2007, 00:22 »

Oh man I love Discworld. Faves are the Rincewind series and Carpe Jugulum. (Maskerade and The Truth are also pretty fun.)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2007, 01:33 »

Rincewind is badass. I also really, really like any of the books that prominently figure the city watch (Guards Guards, the Fifth Elephant etc)

ToxicScarecrow

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:09 »

Of the stuff that I've read recently I would recommend:

Miss Lonelyhearts by Nathanael West and Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor.

And then of course Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. A classic in my mind but probably not on any school's reading list.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:44 »

Graham Greene - The Quiet American
Graham Greene - The Power And The Glory

There are other Greene novels you should read but those are my favourites.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2007, 13:54 »

John Kennedy Toole - A Confederacy Of Dunces
Ian McEwan - Amsterdam
John Updike - Rabbit, Run
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
Frank Herbert - Dune

edgyswingsetacid

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2007, 15:30 »

here are a few shorter ones that strongly influenced me and led me to further reading.

notes from underground, by fyodor dostoyevsky
hunger, by knut hamsun
nausea, by jean-paul sartre
the stranger, by albert camus
florville and courval, by the marquis de sade
on the road, by jack kerouac
howl, by allen ginsberg
play the piano drunk like a percussion instrument until the fingers begin to bleed a bit, by charles bukowksi
sorrows of young werther, by johann wolfgang von goethe
lafcadio's adventures, by andre gide
season in hell, by arthur rimbaud

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2007, 17:44 »

Books I read in school that I really liked:
The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingslover
Ordinary People - Judith Guest
Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
The Blues Eye - Toni Morrison
All The Kings Men - Robert Penn Warren
Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond Rostand
The Moon is Down - John Steinbeck
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

I'll think of more later.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Spalove

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:13 »

The Catcher In The Rye

best book ever

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:38 »

The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie.  Yes, that Hugh Laurie.
Oh, and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:24 »

Slaughterhouse-5 and Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.
The Unbearable Lightness Of Being by Milan Kundera
The Giver by Lois Lowry
All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

just a few off the top of my head that I didn't see when scanning through this thread.

-edit-
Read "Howl" by Ginsberg first, but if you enjoy that one, also check out "Kaddish" from his collection. It is also quite good.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Will

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:28 »

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime
Johnny, have you checked out his book of poetry, "The Talking Horse, The Sad Girl, and The City Under The Sea?" It's really good.
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:33 »

I haven't, and nor have I checked out his new novel, but I've heard it's quite good as well.

Also, with Bukowski, there are definitely Bukowski readers (i.e. snippets of collected works, sort of thing) out there that I'd recommend looking at first. Then I'd read Post Office or Ham On Rye.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:37 »

The Giver by Lois Lowry

I've read that book because it was required reading on my 8th grade english speakers class. I remember finding it kitschy and kind of boring. I have it lying around somewhere, maybe I should give it another read.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:11 »

I loved The Giver. (I read it well before I had to read it in class and my teacher thought I was weird because I had my own copy.) Another good book, though I think it's junior high level as well, is If I Should Die Before I Wake by Han Nolan.

Ally

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2007, 18:53 »

People of Paper

Also I read the Giver in fourth grade and it made me sooooob.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2007, 20:16 »

Here is a list of the books that affected me in one way or another, and that I'd highly recommend. In no particular order, with running personal commentary, sorta.

Dune - Frank Herbert (mentioned before, it's good enough to mention again)
The Elenium Trilogy - David Eddings (my first "serious" fantasy series I ever read. deeply affected my world view and completely reshaped my imagination)
The Mars Trilogy - Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars - Kim Stanley Robinson (my all-time favourite sci-fi novels ever. incredibly written, immaculately detailed, phenomenal story - it has depth, it has texture, it's political, it's religious, it's commentary on human-kind... Blue Mars just might be my favourite book ever.)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and the four subsequent novels) - Douglas Adams (surprised nobody's mentioned this one yet. brilliantly witty, smart and meaningful. short enough to read in an afternoon, but wonderful enough to reread a thousand times.)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (another brilliant sci-fi novel. well-known in popular culture, too (xkcd recently did a strip on it). i've tried to read the other books in the series, but they go off on weird religious tangents (kinda like the other Dune books). stick to this one.)
Starship Troopers - Robert A. Heinlein (great book. way different than the movie. definite American Cold War under- (and over-) tones.)
Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks (the only Banks book I've read. it's not really a happy book, but some great technology and super-future sci-fi writing.)
1984 - George Orwell (i read this for the first time on the beaches of Dubai this April. one of those books i always intended to read but never got around to it. i get into reading moods where i feel i should read books that i should have read and this was one of my selections)
Neuromancer - William Gibson (another sci-fi book, revolutionized the genre, etc. & etc.)
Naked - David Sedaris (amazingly hilarious book. pick up anything that Sedaris has written - you won't be disappointed. semi-autobiographical.)
The Human Stain and American Pastoral - Philip Roth (two amazing books by an incredible writer. difficult reads, but deserving of all the praise they got.)
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (i'll admit i read this book (and the next) only because Rob Gordon says that he's read them. however, it is an incredible tale that my feeble grasp of the english language can't do justice)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera (see above)
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - David Eggers (a style reminiscent of David Sedaris but a story wholly his own - mostly autobiographical, exceptionally funny and altogether a great read)
The Zombie Survival Guide - Max Brooks (READ THIS BOOK TO SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. DON'T BITCH TO ME WHEN YOUR SAFE HOUSE IS OVERRUN.)
Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life - Jon Lee Anderson (i was never into the whole revolutionary thing, that whole faux-scene or whatever you want to call it, but i've always been interested in Che and who he was. this is de facto the greatest biography of him ever written. impeccably researched, it portrays him as non-biased as possible. he lead an incredible life, whether you agree with who he was or not.)
House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski (this book mindfucks you. entertaining, scary as hell, like no book you've ever read. if you want to experience something literary that's indescribable, read this book.)

There's my list. Enjoy, please.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

rayechu

« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2007, 23:41 »

Last year I read and loved The Count of Monte Cristo. Don't be intimidated by the size, as it is a rather fast read. That edition is the only one I liked, so pay the extra dollar or two for it. 

Will

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:19 »

House of Leaves is indeed mindfuckery at its finest. I've read it three times now, and I still feel like I'm missing things. I'm still trying to plough through Danielewski's latest, "Only Revolutions," but it's not nearly as engaging.

Adding to Matt's list, Ender's Shadow is another good one to grab, in the Ender's Game series.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:42 »

You really really should read 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's amazing. The aforementioned Confederacy of Dunces is also an essential read as is Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon (brace yourself for that one though. It's not easy.) and another David Eggers book, You Shall Know Our Velocity, which I flat out loved. A relatively new book that hasn't gotten much press that I'm aware of, entitled Giraffe, is easily one of the most beautiful books I've read. The imagery is astounding and often more poetic than prose. That's by JM Ledgard and anyone reading this thread should stop and read that book instead.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2007, 08:16 »

I've read through part 3 of Gravity's Rainbow and had to put it down. I just didn't get it. It was way too complicated for me. I'll pick it up again, eventually.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Felix_

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:26 »

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2007, 04:29 »

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and the four subsequent novels) - Douglas Adams (surprised nobody's mentioned this one yet. brilliantly witty, smart and meaningful. short enough to read in an afternoon, but wonderful enough to reread a thousand times.)

I fully endorse this recommendation.

There's even a version of all five novels together in one big hard cover book. I got it some time ago in english, because I read them all in hebrew, and I'm just waiting to finish the two books I'm reading now to start it.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Will

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2007, 07:33 »

I have that book! It's definitely a worthwhile acquisition.

ToxicScarecrow

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2007, 12:33 »

House of Leaves is indeed mindfuckery at its finest.

I third the recommendation for House of Leaves. It's just a really, really entertaining book, and it reads surprisingly fast for its length.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2007, 00:08 »

The Aenead because that Aeneas is one cold blooded motherfuck.

Also, I'm waiting for the first person to suggest Robert Jordan.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2007, 08:27 »

I suggest you avoid Robert Jordan like the plague.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Mr. Pink

« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2007, 18:48 »

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
Dispatches by Michael Herr
Down and Out In Paris and London by George Orwell
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys by Chris Furhman
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matherson

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2007, 11:10 »

The beach - Alex Garland

Do it.

HellPuppi

« Reply #36 on: 03 Jul 2007, 16:42 »

mberan42- Just wanted to let you know the guy who did Zombie survival guide has another book, World War Z. It's about the zombie apocalypse. Pretty awesome sauce.

Seconded-Hitchhiker's Guide and Dune. Also some Kurt Vonnegut (sp?).

Some suggestions:

Plauge Dogs or Watership Down by Richard Adams

Fight Club. Chuck Palink, I think? The guy's writing style is very unique.

Battle Royale- the book, thought there is a manga and a movie out there.

Mnementh

« Reply #37 on: 03 Jul 2007, 18:15 »

Any Don Delillo you can get your hands on.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #38 on: 03 Jul 2007, 19:17 »

Chuck Palahniuk is a good writer if you like really unsettling books. Fight Club, Haunted, and Diary are pretty good.

Also, I loved Watership Down. Is the sequel good? It's one of those books I've been meaning to read, but never did.

HellPuppi

« Reply #39 on: 03 Jul 2007, 20:54 »

Tales from Watership Down is a sequel of sorts. It tells some more stories about Hazel's warren and what happens to...oh man I forgot the bad guy's name *smacks head*, but what happens to the rabbits from the other warren. It also gives some more tales of El-hrairrah (sp?). It's a really good read. Not as good as the original, but defiantly worth a read if you  enjoyed Watership. Sorry about the names and things. Most of my library is packed away otherwise I would have looked it up real quick.
I can't really recommend some of Richard Adam's other stuff, mostly because it's quite wordy, but Plague Dogs and Watership are AMAZING. If you liked Watership down I would actually suggest reading Plague Dogs before Tales from Watership Down.

Chuck Palahniuk- He has a new book out that I read a few pages of that I really really want to get. I borrowed one of his others but after a chapter into it I got so depressed I had to stop. I'm sure it's one of the ones you mentioned, but I love the guy's style.

CookedHaggis

« Reply #40 on: 04 Jul 2007, 08:55 »

So this is where you guys come in. What were some books you read as a youth that is considered essential reading for me? Remember, I've only read books like Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby...seriously, just books on the required reading list. HELP!

A little more information about what styles/genres/authors you (dis)like would be nice if possible.  It's kinda hard just to recommend books otherwise.  I mean, just go out and buy a bunch of the Oxford world's classics if you want to read a lot of literary stuff of the sort that people should (and claim to) read but don't.  I mean, are you asking for books that you think you should read (the canon) or books you think we think you'd like to read (anything from The Da Vinci Code upwards really)?

But just to back track and give a list of personal favourite anyway despite not knowing any of the above:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" (Though personally I'd avoid Mostly Harmless, the fifth book, due to its general rubbishness)

Hamlet (I thought it was incredibly boring the first time I read it at 19, but it's just one of those that gets better every time you pick it up.  And if nothing else, it's a good thing to have read given how ubiquitous elements of it are now)

Catch-22 (Someone has already mentioned this, but it's really, really good.  I don't know anyone, even avid non-readers, who hasn't enjoyed it)

On the Road (Cars!  Booze!  Drugs!  Sex!  All connected with an ecstatically incessant rhythm any band would envy)

Money (Lots of people dislike Martin Amis's writing, up to and including his own father.  Those people are wrong, up to and including Kingsley, even if Lucky Jim is great)

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #41 on: 04 Jul 2007, 10:55 »

On the Road (Cars!  Booze!  Drugs!  Sex!  All connected with an ecstatically incessant rhythm any band would envy)

If we're recommending Kerouac, then I'd like to throw The Subterraneans in too. Basically, a dipiction of the San Farnsisco beat scene through the love affair of a writer and a black beatnik woman.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.
Pages: [1]   Go Up