THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What, in your opinion, is the scariest film ever made?  (Read 24906 times)

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
Re: What, in your opinion, is the scariest film ever made?
« Reply #50 on: 19 Jun 2007, 10:58 »

Kazaam-  Still haunts my nightmares... The Big Aristotle Acting...

I've seen most of the American and European horror movies listed here, and they were rather bland...  It was delicious.  Alien was a suspence movie, not a horror one.  The Ring was a frikken comedy fest.  I loved it.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Lazer

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • PIZZA TIME
« Reply #51 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:49 »

28 Days Later is probably my favorite horror movie. It didn't really cheap scare me much, but it made me very very depressed and I really didn't want to be by myself after watching it for a very long time because it was fukken creepy. :<

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #52 on: 19 Jun 2007, 18:24 »

Alien was a suspence movie, not a horror one.

I would argue that a good horror film has a heavy element of suspense.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #53 on: 19 Jun 2007, 18:43 »

I agree with Inlander. And Dissy, did you just ignore my posts completely?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jun 2007, 20:03 »

Yes, they do.

I just saw The Hills Have Eyes tonight.  It left a lot to be desired.

fish across face

• Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #55 on: 19 Jun 2007, 23:52 »

The remake?

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2007, 07:12 »

I really, really wish that Silent Hill hadn't been made as a video game-to-movie port. I thought that the movie itself, as a standalone, was not all that bad. It had some really cool visual moments - the scenes where the ash is falling like snow is, in my opinion, quite beautiful - and the acting wasn't all that bad. If it had JUST been a movie, or even a movie inspired by the game, I think it would have worked. Instead, it tried to be a movie adaptation of the game, and of course did not succeed.
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #57 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:31 »

I never played Silent Hill, but I really enjoyed the effects in the movie. I wasn't scared while watching, more like intrigued by how awesome the creepy things were, especially the guy with the triangular helmet head with the chain. He was awesome.

But then again, I guess I have problems with scary movies. I usually end up really liking them. Slashers are pretty sucky, though, I was never a fan of those. I prefer good ghost stories, thrillers, and religious-type horror movies.

Favorites are: Alien and Aliens (not so much the other two, but these two are amazing), The Shining (omg AWESOME), Silence of the Lambs (probably on my top 10 favorite movies of all time), Se7en, The Exorcist (for the time period, the effects are pretty sweet), IT (probably why I think clowns are creepy and this was the first movie that ever really did scare me, because I saw it when I was around 7 or 8?), and Rosemary's Baby (classic). I own all of those except The Exorcist and IT and watch them several times throughout the year. But yes, scary movies are good movies when made very well.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ravenbomb

« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2007, 10:52 »

Scariest in general: Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills

Scariest horror movie: Audition nowadays, but the time I've been most scared by a movie was when I first saw Halloween.

imapiratearg

« Reply #59 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:44 »

The remake?

It's a remake?  I know it's based on the Wes Craven novel.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jun 2007, 13:03 »

Fish meant the one that came out recently is a remake of the 1977 film that Wes Craven directed. As far as I know, Craven doesn't write novels, but he does write movies.

And Last House on the Left is a good scary movie, too.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2007, 13:07 by Linds »

imapiratearg

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jun 2007, 13:05 »

Really?  In which case, yes, the remake.

fish across face

« Reply #62 on: 20 Jun 2007, 16:36 »

Yeah, friends who are horror fans swear by most of those early Craven flicks, which is why I wanted to check.  They get a lot of props for their unmitigated brutality (see Khar's comments re: The Last House On The Left, which is chiefly just one big torture scene), so I've never had the urge to watch any of them.

Dissy

« Reply #63 on: 20 Jun 2007, 16:44 »

Alien was a suspence movie, not a horror one.

I would argue that a good horror film has a heavy element of suspense.

And I would argue that there is a big difference between suspence and horror suspence.  

For Example:  The Sixth Sense (It bulds, and builds, and builds, then Bruce Willis is a ghost!) compared to any generic horror movie (it's quiet... too quiet... Blargh!  Monster attacks)

I agree with Inlander. And Dissy, did you just ignore my posts completely?

I read 'em...  I haven't seen many Asian horror movies.  28 Days Later and the Blair Witch Project were rather bland.  And I will admit to never seeing The Evil Dead movies.
I fuck at typos

sparl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #64 on: 20 Jun 2007, 17:22 »

David Cronenberg has created quite a few spin tingling moments.
A big What the Fuck was always in my head when I saw Videodrome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CNK4IH4hNwk

also, I think "The Thing" ranks about even with Alien as the best creature feature.

spoilers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8X-HUqjS3YU&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_TEbr7IGU&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=a7Q-5VSqzEk&mode=related&search=
« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2007, 17:33 by sparl »

fish across face

« Reply #65 on: 20 Jun 2007, 17:39 »

For Example:  The Sixth Sense (It bulds, and builds, and builds, then Bruce Willis is a ghost!) compared to any generic horror movie (it's quiet... too quiet... Blargh!  Monster attacks)
So which of these examples do you think Alien is closer to?

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #66 on: 20 Jun 2007, 18:10 »

BLAARRRGGH.
Hate, rain on me

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #67 on: 20 Jun 2007, 18:57 »

I remember watching House on Haunted Hill when I was 12 or so and it scared the crap out of me. I had nightmares for weeks after that.

Otherwise, I haven't been truly scared by a horror movie since then. All they do in that type of movie now is make it really, really gruesome and call it horror. That stuff doesn't scare me, it grosses me out. All I want is a good, non-gory movie that messes with your mind and makes you afraid to sleep at night. Is that too much to ask for?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #68 on: 20 Jun 2007, 22:42 »

Oh man, the original House on Haunted Hill was the best. I loved that movie. I still quote it to this day.

Dissy, why don't you give us some other examples, and list a few other movies you like, and why?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jun 2007, 04:58 »

There's Something About Mary - The zipper scene is cinematic terror in its purist form
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

imapiratearg

« Reply #70 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:53 »

You know, the movies that messed with my head the most haven't been horror movies.  But stuff like The Matrix, for example, that make you question reality.  Or movies that my paranoias and fears are portrayed.  But isn't that the intent of a good horror/suspense movie?

Mikagon

• Emoticontraindication
  • Toes!
« Reply #71 on: 21 Jun 2007, 12:17 »

I really, really wish that Silent Hill hadn't been made as a video game-to-movie port. I thought that the movie itself, as a standalone, was not all that bad. It had some really cool visual moments - the scenes where the ash is falling like snow is, in my opinion, quite beautiful - and the acting wasn't all that bad. If it had JUST been a movie, or even a movie inspired by the game, I think it would have worked. Instead, it tried to be a movie adaptation of the game, and of course did not succeed.
I never played Silent Hill, but I really enjoyed the effects in the movie. I wasn't scared while watching, more like intrigued by how awesome the creepy things were, especially the guy with the triangular helmet head with the chain. He was awesome.

The movie scared me/disturbed me because of the visual effects. I can't get the scene out of my head where she's running through the area with all the chain fences and she comes upon a person on a cross but they're still alive and they have these horrific eyes. Then all the weird children creatures start chasing her, she falls, and wakes up in silent hill (the creepy version of it). Those eyes just creep me out. A lot. As well as other various things in the movie. Although I did find it funny when the man who was tangled up in all the barbed wire started trying to come after her. It was just too ridiculous to take seriously.
I'm a girl! I have a vagina for god's sake!

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #72 on: 21 Jun 2007, 22:06 »

David Lynch is pretty much the best "horror" director out there.

I second that motion.

All the ones that emptied my bowells have been pretty much mentioned- the shining, night of the living dead, don't look now etc.

I'm a big fan of Edward D Wood Jr.'s films- i've seen all his classics. I find them pretty creepy.

It's not a horror but the orignal Vanishing (not the American remake piece of shite) has given me consistant nightmares for years.

And Korean film's... wheher horror or not are FUCKED UP.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #73 on: 23 Jun 2007, 21:24 »

Kazaam

When I was seven, this movie made me cry.  I thought Shaquille O'Neal died, and broke down.  Have never cried for any other movie.  True story.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Motherfirefly

« Reply #74 on: 26 Jun 2007, 08:42 »

The first movie that made me cry was Mighty Joe Young when the Gorilla "dies".

Also the movies that scared me the most are The Shining, The Original Omen, and Nightmare on Elm Street. My mother didn't want to let me see the new remake of the Texas Chainsaw massacre when it came out (I think I was like, 12). So she was like..."you want scary, watch these!".

Needless to say after seeing Nightmare on Elm Street I was afraid to sleep for weeks.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #75 on: 26 Jun 2007, 18:06 »

And I would argue that there is a big difference between suspence and horror suspence. 

You thought Alien and Aliens were suspense movies? Well there is the whole "where'd it go" thing and who's chest will it pop out next, but then, bam, there is a tail popping out of your chest, which then tears you in half, or one of them rips your face off. It's more horror action sci-fi then horror suspense. Besides, Aliens is the proud owner of the greatest cat fight ever.

And I forgot to mention the original The Omen earlier. Good good good movie. Have not seen the remake, though, and probably won't.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #76 on: 26 Jun 2007, 19:48 »

it's "suspense" god damn it
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Dissy

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jun 2007, 18:22 »

You thought Alien and Aliens were suspense movies? Well there is the whole "where'd it go" thing and who's chest will it pop out next, but then, bam, there is a tail popping out of your chest, which then tears you in half, or one of them rips your face off. It's more horror action sci-fi then horror suspense. Besides, Aliens is the proud owner of the greatest cat fight ever.

And I forgot to mention the original The Omen earlier. Good good good movie. Have not seen the remake, though, and probably won't.

No, Aliens was a sci-fi horror action flick.  Alien was a sci-fi suspence action flick. 

Alien wasn't scary at all.  Much like Independence Day wasn't scary.  I will admit to jumping the first few times I saw the chest popping thing, much like the "suit" opening in ID4.

For Example:  The Sixth Sense (It bulds, and builds, and builds, then Bruce Willis is a ghost!) compared to any generic horror movie (it's quiet... too quiet... Blargh!  Monster attacks)
So which of these examples do you think Alien is closer to?

6th Sense-ish, but personally I would say closer to ID4.

This being said, I have realized I haven't seen Alien in over a decade.  I'll rent it this weekend, or the next and re-evaluate my assesment.
I fuck at typos

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #78 on: 27 Jun 2007, 18:35 »

Man, alien scared the shit out of me. I thought aliens was complete shit.

Cabinet of dr. Caligari, there is a scary ass movie- i always find the old silent movies creepy, the orignal Nosferatu, or at least the first half hour is fucked up.

Felix_

« Reply #79 on: 28 Jun 2007, 02:23 »

Honorable mention for John Carpenter's 'The Thing'.

HellPuppi

« Reply #80 on: 02 Jul 2007, 22:02 »

Well 'best' has an odd qualification.
The Ring scared the crap out of me, but my mom was laughing next to me, so I guess it depends on what disturbs you.

I liked Silent Hill because some of the things really disturbed me, not so much scared me, but just kinda followed  me. What happened to the little girl, for instance. I also liked the notion of being in hell and not really knowing it. Would I recommend it to people? No, prolly not. I would recommend the games, however.

Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and several others, awesome!

Films I've been wanting to see: Tale of Two Sisters, The Devil's Backbone and most of the masters of horror. I know someone mentioned the tale of two sisters earlier, but has anyone else seen the others?

I don't think Old Boy counts as horror....

Well damn I really don't know what the best would be.

xero

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #81 on: 04 Jul 2007, 14:46 »

Thirteen.

I know that sounds like a joke, but hear me out: I had a teenage sister. I will have one again in two years. The movie hits too close to home for it to not bring shivers and bad memories. And then there's the Holly Hunter nude scene. :shudder:

CookedHaggis

« Reply #82 on: 04 Jul 2007, 15:14 »

Inland Empire scared the living shit out of me, even in the cinema.

I doubt I could have watched it alone for the first time.

So it's not just me, phew.  I love Lynch, but he just has this knack of making every single freakin' scene trip-wire tense even though there's no especially obvious reason for it.  I shat myself at a door opening.  And it wasn't even a scary door; we're talking bog-standard suburban painted-wood and handle effort here.  Moment of Mulholland Dr. had the same effect (behind the diner anyone) the first time around.  This all reminds me: I've really gotta see Inland Empire again.  Then again.  Then perhaps read about it on the internet before watching it once more.  Lynch is like an abusive partner you can't live without.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #83 on: 05 Jul 2007, 08:57 »

This weekend I saw pretty much one of the greatest horror films ever. Well, it wasn't that good. But it is something I am going to force all of my friends to watch. I present to you....

Sleepaway Camp!!!

This movie freaking rocks. It's not really scary until the end which did freak me out(because it is so incredibly fucked), but it's very cheesy. It was made in freaking 1983. That says it all right there.

Spoiler alert! I'm pretty much going to detail much of the movie here. Scroll past my post if you don't want to read them.

Ok, so this movie is about this girl, Angela. During a tragic boating accident, her family is killed. She goes to live with her cousin's family. His mom sends them both off to sleepaway camp, where she talks to no one and becomes an outcast. Finally, her cousin's friend starts talking to her, and the two become a couple. They are pretty much the greatest teenage/pre-teen couple ever. He's always trying to feel her up, and she's always pushing him off. It's hilarious.

Anyway, everyone else(kids, and counselors) at camp is mean to her. They throw her in the water, throw water balloons at her, and pretty much make her camp life hell, but she gets revenge, as soon all her tormentors end up dying. A chef is pushed into a boiling pot of water, a counselor is stabbed while showering, a camper is stung to death by bees while shitting, a girl has her hot curling iron stuffed up her vag. The deaths are great, however no one knows who is doing it. The head counselor is sure it's her cousin. We soon learn he is wrong when he struggles with the cousin, knocking him unconscious, and is then killed while the boy remains asleep.

Around this time, Angela asks her boyfriend to meet her on the beach for a little peer-pressure induced sex(he calls her a prude, and then makes out with another girl). He meets her there, and she has him take off his clothes. We a cut to a different scene before we get to see anything happen. In this scene everyone is running around, gathering campers, because the killer is on a killing spree that night(I believe 4 people were killed that night, as opposed to the one a day). Two counselors run to the beach where the discover a naked Angela sitting with her back turned to us, and her boyfriend laying on the ground in front of her, his head in her lap. They call to her, and she stands up. Her boyfriend's bloodied severed head rolls from her lapon on to the ground. Angela turns around, growling, and we discover her secret. Angela is a boy! A strange, creepy, sharped tooth, monkey boy.

philosopherqueen

« Reply #84 on: 05 Jul 2007, 11:08 »

wtf? that is the most bizarre thing I have ever heard.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #85 on: 05 Jul 2007, 11:18 »

Hot curling iron stuffed up the vag.
Hate, rain on me
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up