THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 14:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Safari now for Windows too  (Read 3411 times)

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
Safari now for Windows too
« on: 14 Jun 2007, 09:00 »

Apple has released a public beta version of Safari for Windows.

I'm using it now, it's pretty cool.  I think Firefox is still faster for me though.

Scytale

Re: Safari now for Windows too
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2007, 09:25 »

Actually I think Safari is one of the fastest browsers around since it uses the KHTML rendering engine (Slightly modified from whats used by KDE I think)...

Yep http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KHTML wikpedia confirms it, from the article:

KHTML is faster than the Gecko layout engine, its main open source rival and core of the Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox browsers, among others.

I use Safari in OS X (using version 2.0.4 (419.3) at the moment). It missing a lot of features I like in firefox (Tabbed windows and spell checking are the two major ones), It also has a new habbit of being awkward to extract the url from objects your viewing (eg if you right click a picture you have to open it in a new window to get the pics url, though it does have an option to copy url to clipboard which sort of makes up for this)

edit: Performance may be slowing down for the original poster because of computer resource issues (lack of ram)  or similar, i'd be interested to see what it's memory foot print load time etc is compared to firefox.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 09:29 by Scytale »

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:12 »

I miss Adblock.  I think that might be one of the reasons Firefox is faster for me, as it does not load many ads at all, while Safari does load all ads.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2007, 14:39 »

It missing a lot of features I like in firefox (Tabbed windows and spell checking are the two major ones)

Safari does have tabbed windows, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. You might have to turn them on in the preferences, but they're there.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Scytale

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2007, 15:12 »

Wow, must be buried somewhere I've been using Safari on my laptop for a while haven't noticed the setting It could be like the popup blocker, which is pretty un-intuitive to enable. I was kind of getting sick of having to press FN F9 every time I had a heap of browser windows open. I'll have a look for it next time I fire up my laptop.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2007, 16:10 »

Funnily enough, It won't even load up on my computer. I'm very curious about it though.

Does it have anything equivalent to Ad-Blocker? If it does it has a good chance of replacing Firefox for me.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2007, 08:12 »

It could be like the popup blocker, which is pretty un-intuitive to enable.
I know right? Going under the main "Safari" menu and selecting "Block Popup Windows," HOW BIZARRE

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2007, 08:15 »

Actually, that seems fairly intuitive to me, Joe. Weird.

flippant

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2007, 16:31 »

apple probably released the window's version in preparation for the iphone coming out june 29, it is loaded with safari also, so people who want to sync up their phone browser to their pc will need it.

Scytale

« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2007, 00:24 »

It could be like the popup blocker, which is pretty un-intuitive to enable.
I know right? Going under the main "Safari" menu and selecting "Block Popup Windows," HOW BIZARRE

It took me months to notice it but it's probably because I'm not used to Apple's world and  go looking for stuff like that under the "File" or "edit" menu. It's pretty funny I've been using Safari for almost a year and I'd never clicked that "safari" menu. By un-intuitive I was referring to it's the short cut (apple key + k, in Firefox which I'm used to that a shortcut to the search box...)
Pages: [1]   Go Up