THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 11:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Reccomend me a MMORPG  (Read 35541 times)

Scytale

Reccomend me a MMORPG
« on: 17 Jun 2007, 00:34 »

Ok I've finished exams now I've got a load of time\money to burn and am looking for a good online RPG to play. The Last one I played was Ultima Online and that was years ago (from '99-02). I know what a major time vacuum these things can be but I'm pretty prepared to waste my vacation (and possibly beyond). Anyway I'm after some recommendations.

I'm not really interested in World of Warcraft, I've seen people playing it doesn't really look like my thing. I think I'd prefer a Sci-Fi based game rather then fantasy (but if you know a decent fantasy based MMORPG, you can recommend that too).

Two games I've been thinking about are either Anarchy online or Eve online, I think theres some people on these forums who play Eve, does anyone want to share there experiences of either of these with me, what are the good / bad things about them etc.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Re: Reccomend me a MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2007, 01:56 »

Does AO still exist?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Scytale

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2007, 02:31 »

Apparently

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2007, 10:50 »

It does.  You can play completely for free.  You have to pay for the expansions though.  I would totally recommend it, but it starts to get boring since quests are literally generated from little booths in the game.

I've heard Face of Mankind is really good.  I've never played it though.

I'll think of more, eventually.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2007, 16:21 »

My favorite MMORPG is the QC forums, where I play a level 20 Smartass.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jun 2007, 19:24 »

Guys, Eve online is pretty awesome. I played it for a week and then quit because I was horrifying of how much time it would consume. It's a space based, and you basically can do whatever you want in the game as long as it doesn't involve hacking game code.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jun 2007, 19:56 »

I play eve, but I'm kinda bummed out at it right now. I haven't checked the most recent patch notes but the way the game is headed is a little meh. Maybe after my exams when I get back into it after exams but it's pretty much just softening up right now.

Scytale

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:26 »

I just downloaded and signed up for the free 14 day trial of eve, I was kind of bummed they didn't have a Linux client but I downloaded the .exe and it installed and ran fine through WINE, really smooth and no noticeable bugs, which was a pleasant and quite welcome experience.

So far I've sat through the tutorial, which was fucking long but I think I've got the jist of it now, my characters name is Norwood Franskly and I'm a Minimatar (sp?) Engineer type character. I've just been introduced to an agent so I'll probably be doing mission for him for a while.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:30 »

Is there conversation in the newbie corp chat? If not, re-roll. The game is kinda shitboring on your own.

Scytale

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2007, 06:22 »

yeah everyone seems pretty friendly in the chats, at the moment I'm mining trying to make some money so I can buy a frigate when I get the skills for it.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jun 2007, 11:48 »

Yeah, EVE is a great game although starting out with Minmatar is going to be a bit tough, given that their ships need more SPs if you want to fly them decently than the rest. But in return, you get to fly the Vagabond eventually without crosstraining.
And find a decent corp fast, the game gets boring real fast if you just fly on your own. A decent corp will make things a lot easier for you. They should provide you with basic ships and equipment, skills and maybe a couple million as well. And most importantly: Help from other, more experienced players.

Also, prepare for lots of drama-faggotry and please, please don't join Band of Brothers or a related corp.

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jun 2007, 15:12 »

My favorite MMORPG is the QC forums, where I play a level 20 Smartass.

Oh really? I'm a lvl 35 Forum Junkie!
*sneezes* Sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit.

TheBoredOne

• Curry sauce
  • Boop.
    • The Church of Boredom Forums!
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jun 2007, 15:25 »

City of Heroes is a decent alternative to fantasy and medieval stuff.
Boredom Makes You Cool.

rasufelle

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2007, 19:10 »

Honestly, about the closest thing to an MMO that I tend to play would be Kingdom of Loathing.  Free, EXTREMELY low system specs required, and some of the best humor you'll find on the web.  Or, you could always MUDD.  That's still popular, right?

imapiratearg

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2007, 13:09 »

Guys, A Tale In the Desert.  Seriously.  If you haven't already played it, do so.  Download the 24 hour (gameplay time) trial.  It's the most fun I've had on an MMORPG that involved no combat whatsoever.  It's all community and job based and stuff.  The amount of things you can do is practically limitless.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2007, 13:35 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2007, 13:38 »

Honestly, about the closest thing to an MMO that I tend to play would be Kingdom of Loathing.  Free, EXTREMELY low system specs required, and some of the best humor you'll find on the web.  Or, you could always MUDD.  That's still popular, right?

While I've not played it myself, I've heard nothing but good things about this one.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

imapiratearg

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jun 2007, 17:20 »

It's amusing.  But seriously: A Tale In the Desert.

I tried EVE today.  It's fucking complicated.  I started a Gallente Industrialist, went through the tutorial and started on my first mission.  I like the idea of being able to do whatever I want, but there's just so much to the game that it's hard to figure how to do shit.  Travel seems to take forever, with almost nothing to get side tracked (like I do on Morrowind, another game that travel takes notoriously long) by.

I like the character appearance creator thing. I made my chick doing this playful smirk with her head cocked slightly.  I chuckled when I made it.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2007, 18:25 by imapiratearg »

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #18 on: 22 Jun 2007, 23:59 »

Calling EVE fucking complicated would be an understatement, I think. I've only been playing for like 2 months and people who have been playing for way over a year tell me they constantly discover and learn new things.
But it becomes manageable rather fast, after about two weeks or so, depending on the corp you're in and how much they help you.
Traveling is boring, yes. If you're in empire space, set an auto-pilot and go watch a movie or something.

Other than that, though, it's an awesome game. And the character creator is tons of fun indeed.

Scytale

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2007, 20:27 »

I'm really enjoying EVE actually. Just finished training Destroyers, I'm pulling in a decent amount of cash pretty easily and I've joined a pretty good corp I think. I've decided I'll keep playing after the trial runs out.

I've found the Agent missions are pretty good I make a lot of money doing those so of them are pretty boring (fly from A to B) type things, but the combat ones net you a decent amount of cash.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2007, 21:53 »

Guys, what's the new patch like? Did it further beat small independent pvp corps into the ground? Where there more silly buff tanking changes? Is the passive tanked Myrmidon still fucking rediculous?

Should I reactivate?

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2007, 22:26 »

EVE is the ultimate badassery if you can find a corp to roll with and get involved in a war. Moreso because an established corp probably has people who can loan you a few isk towards that next upgrade, and help you figure out the difference between the seven million different rocket launchers you can fit on your space wagon.

Cruising around with 30 bigger, meaner ships and some fellow newbs looking to pick a fight with any pirates or wardecced enemies unlucky enough to stray through a gate into your system = awesome. Not to mention the nerdy but enthralling politics/meta-game/spies/etc surrounding the big corp fights.

I could never start EVE 'from scratch' mining crappy rocks for shiny pennies in 1.0 space after playing zero-sec for a month, it just seems pointless.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2007, 00:08 »

McT, small independant pvp corps will always play a role. Some join major alliances, others go roaming about in empire wardeccing unsuspecting corpses and beeing all evil (aka, Privateers)

Currently, im flying with the Interstellar Alcohol Coglonomerate, after having spent a yearandahalf in empire. Its a total different game! :D

*note, I already got my firs battleship blown up, yesterday I joined a gang to blow up a carrier (altough i was to late, and it was already poof) and I have gotten some awesome loots from the belt rats.
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2007, 03:20 »

Guys, what's the new patch like? Did it further beat small independent pvp corps into the ground? Where there more silly buff tanking changes? Is the passive tanked Myrmidon still fucking rediculous?

Should I reactivate?
I'm not Gallente, but as far as I know, the passive tank hasn't been changed that much (there was a small nerf to shield regen if I recall correctly, but nothing major). I know the Drakes are still pretty ridiculous.

The major changes were to large-scale gang warfare and a huge nerf to Titans (BoB already lost one to RA and Goonfleet, the first one lost in a real fight). They also introduced bombing, though I haven't tried that so I can't really tell you much about it. And CCP sped things up a bit, so there's less lag.

Scytale

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jun 2007, 06:52 »

They also introduced something with heat and thermodynamics I think, though that could be something old I'm just a 7 day old empire space n00b after all :) lowest I've been in is 0.6 :(

I got my Destroyer now a nice Thrasher, I love it, all decked out with mass 200mm autocannons, people are always telling me autocannons suck go artillery and missiles but hell I love charging point blank  (using afterburner to get massive top speed) and *bam* unleashing hell on the pirates. Rockets are pretty nice as well... Blowing em away from a distance is so boring...

I also love the way the ecconomy/market works, reminds me a lot of the game Privateer. I have a nice ship done out for mining and I love that if your patient and study the market screens you can make a lot more money by selling where the demand is, sure the travel time sucks but it's worth it when you triple your return for a minimum of effort I've basically taken on the industrial role in the corp, people give me blueprints and I build shit for em, works out pretty well, though I've hit the point now where skills are taking longer and longer to raIse...

Yeah I'm getting pretty addicted to this game :)

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #25 on: 24 Jun 2007, 07:12 »

Damn, I really want to play EVE again now.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2007, 07:19 »

Reading the patch notes has made me think 'eh'. I like the way bcs don't have cruiser shield recharge anymore. I like the eanm nerf. I like the pulse laser boost. I'll like heat if it means I can overload the rack of arties on my thrasher and reliably pop ceptors and afs in one volley again (or if my 'cane can now reliably pop cruisers). I'll like the level 5 missions if it draws the pirates away from where I run level threes. Unfortunately now I might have to trade in my drake for a ship I'm half skilled in to run them (the drake was so, so broken) but that's not bad. I've forgotten the rest of the patch notes but. I think I'll reactivate, at very least it'll let me get another two months training in.

Incidently, scrapheap challenge seems to have gone to hell; anyone know what the new good forum is?

imapiratearg

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2007, 11:07 »

I haven't been able to play much, but I just bought meself a new frigate, and equipped it with a mining laser.  I had just accepted a mission when I got kicked off my brother's computer.  I don't really know what to do in the game.  There's a lot to it, and I'm used to playing simple MMOs, so I'm a little bit overwhelmed by EVE.  So you guys got any tips for a noob?

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2007, 13:58 »

Uhm, well, first of all, find a corp. Its both needed for amusement, and learning things (either production, pvp, mining, whatever you want). Try a smaller one, and sorta do various things, to figure out what you like most to do.

Also, appearantly, today, we blew up another carrier, and just now a gang was forming up to go shoot at another one! Unfortunately, again, I cant be there! This is the 3rd carrierkilling im missing in 2 days! SCANDALICIOUS!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Postino

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2007, 14:14 »

I havn't played in forever, although if someone wanted to make a QC corp, I can say that I would be interested.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2007, 15:47 »

A QC corp would probably not be a good idea as I doubt that we have players able to pilot a carrier or anything bigger. I don't think we could manage to create a corp that could survive on its own in 0.0 space. I would simply ask for a QC forum poster to sponsor you.
If you're interested, I'm fairly sure I could sponsor you, for example. I am in pretty chill corp, too. No mandatory ops and we reside in 0.0 space, so there's lots of rats and good missions from level 1 to level 5. And we help out newbies too, with ISK, ships and skillbooks. But it's a fairly small corp.
Verergoca is in IAC, so if you're interested in a bigger corp which also takes part in some alliance warfare, ask him.

imapiratearg

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2007, 18:49 »

What's the name of the corp you're in?  I may or may not join it.  Most likely I'll use it as a last resort, if I can't decide on anywhere else.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #32 on: 24 Jun 2007, 20:12 »

A QC corp would probably not be a good idea as I doubt that we have players able to pilot a carrier or anything bigger.

Damn you. I was inches from reactivating but then I realised this and remembered how much I fucking hate capitals.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #33 on: 24 Jun 2007, 21:40 »

So, guys...I was recently accepted into the Tabula Rasa beta.  Problem is, I can't fucking play it.  Even worse, I have no location to report the bug to without breaking the NDA.  Which I just did anyways.  So I can't recommend it to you.

If any of the devs happen to read this, my video card (a Chaintech SA 6800) will not play fullscreen Bink Videos.  My card will jack up to 999 fps and overheat, artifact, crash, and reboot.  Pressing Alt+Enter as soon as the intros load usually fixes this.  In this case, it wuuld artifact, black out, come back and play a little more of the intro, repeat several times, until it stopped playing the intro and simply blacked out and back on again every 10 seconds or so.  The task manager listed it as still running, but there was no obvious progress, so I killed it, restarted, and uninstalled.  Thanks for nearly breaking my computer, NCSoft.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scytale

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:21 »

Heh when I logged in today it had a news report about some corp that had there titan destroyed, that would have been so cool to blow up. I'm still training a lot of my skills and doing agent missions.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #35 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:27 »

Have you tried emailing them? Emailing someone else in the beta?

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jun 2007, 07:48 »

What's the name of the corp you're in?  I may or may not join it.  Most likely I'll use it as a last resort, if I can't decide on anywhere else.
The Greater Goon. We live in Syndicate (yes, I know) and are part of The OSS. It's an SA corp, so if you have an account there, you're all set. If not, you could just reference me and you're good to go as well.
It's sort of like Goonfleet without the drama and the buttsex.

Scytale: Here's a video of the attack. It's pretty much a Powerpoint slideshow of the attack because of lag, but Teamspeak is fucking comedy gold.

imapiratearg

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:08 »

Layman's terms on all that stuff plz?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:22 »

Is QUOTSA still pretending not to be playing the territory game up in synd?

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jun 2007, 10:03 »

Have you tried emailing them? Emailing someone else in the beta?

I couldn't find contact information on the playtr website, and I don't know anyone else involved in the beta, since they're supposed to be under NDA.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #40 on: 25 Jun 2007, 10:59 »

The Greater Goon. We live in Syndicate (yes, I know) and are part of The OSS. It's an SA corp, so if you have an account there, you're all set. If not, you could just reference me and you're good to go as well.
It's sort of like Goonfleet without the drama and the buttsex.

Scytale: Here's a video of the attack. It's pretty much a Powerpoint slideshow of the attack because of lag, but Teamspeak is fucking comedy gold.

Didn't know you guys took over Syndicate after we left, what's the weather like up there these days?

I played in regular Goonfleet for a month or so before I cancelled due to internet issues, but might get back into it soon. Fleet battles are awesome, unless they're so massive that you just lag out for 5 minutes and wake up dead. Although I did once partake in a shuttle operation with 40 other newbs in starter ships with names like LAG WARRIOR and USS LAG to suicidally charge and distract a fleet camping our station while the real ships blew the fuck out of them ;) fear my level 1 mining laser, motherbitches!

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:42 »

Didn't know you guys took over Syndicate after we left, what's the weather like up there these days?
We had some issues with The OSS, but I think they were sorted out. I bet there's some new shit on the horizon though. There always is. But I've only been a member for a bit more than a month, so I'm not that well-informed. And we didn't really take over Synd as a whole, we mostly hang out in Y9G and now A-Z, I think.
I've never met QUOTSA in Synd, right now we're mostly fighting Free Traders and BRUCE.

Layman's terms on all that stuff plz?
Syndicate is a region with a 0.0 security rating right next to Gallente empire space. and The OSS is simply the name of the alliance our corp is in. SA means SomethingAwful.com, the corp was started for members of the forum, but other people can join too, if they're sponsored.
The drama and buttsex ... well, it just means drama and buttsex, really.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:59 »

Sounds pretty cool, do GROON see a lot of PVP action round those parts? I quite want to get back into EVE at some point but I'm not sure I have the attention span for FULL SCALE WAR against BOB, plus I probably won't play long enough to train very big ships so I'm pretty useless in cap ship battles. Might come chill with you guys in Synd if there's pew pew to be had.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #43 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:13 »

There has been comparatively little pew pew lately, I must say. We had some organizational issues when half a couple of experienced guys left so we were sort of in limbo for a while when it came to ops. But in the last weeks, we've had a couple of ops again and I think the number should rise now.
Plus OSS almost always has a pvp op running, and I suppose they would be happy to see a few Groons participating as well. If you want pew pew, I suppose you can get it. And usually, the biggest ships you see around here are the size of a Domi and large scale fleet battles are rather rare. The biggest op I've participated in was about 40 ships against about 40 ships.

From what I gathered, some are also organizing PvE pew pew in the form of gang missions, but I can't take part in those because the best thing I can fly right now is a fucking Moa.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #44 on: 25 Jun 2007, 12:19 »

I've totally forgotten what the hell a Moa is. I seem to remember that right as my account expired, I could fly the class of ships one bigger than frigates - destroyers or something. Loads of guns on a frigate-scale hull? That shit, anyway.

I want to get into inties and maybe force recon if I have the patience to spend a year levelling up. Small ships with shitloads of pew pew are way cooler than hulking behemoths.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #45 on: 25 Jun 2007, 13:37 »

While I've not played it myself, I've heard nothing but good things about this one.

I put a call out on these fine QC forums a while ago trying to gauge interest in a QC clan in KoL, but not enough people responded for me to consider it worth bothering. I wonder if I should necro my old thread.

NS13 has taken up almost my entire day today. Whee!
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

imapiratearg

« Reply #46 on: 25 Jun 2007, 18:27 »

Well, I did some missions for the first agent i got, besides the tutorial guy.  I put a particle laser on my frigate, as well as an afterburner.  I don't know what it's for or when to use it though.  I applied to a corp.  I also got some blueprints and a bunch of ISK.  I'm stuck though on some damn mission in which I have to build this "Perpetual Motion Unit".  It's ridiculous.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #47 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:58 »

I'll reactivate for a QC Corp.   8-)

Scytale

« Reply #48 on: 27 Jun 2007, 07:57 »

Sounds like your getting owned by the dreaded villard wheel :)

Did a misison with my corp last night, must have been about 10 or 15 of us (which is pretty small for a fleet in eve I think) it was so sweet I love the way theres so much tactics in every battle. You really need to listen to the fleet commander so you make sure your targeting whatever he paints for you. You've got to watch for enemy frigates comming in and keep them away from the large ships. Need to make sure your all formed up before warping in, so many subtle things. I love the way each ship has it's own role in the battlefield. The large ships pound the hell out of the capitals, support ships start distributing out the shield chargers, salavagers hang back to grab the wrecks, Destroyers train in on the enemy frigates, seems so organized, when your flying with a fleet it's like your in a crack millitary unit or something.

first week or so I thought combat was just close to range and bring as many guns to bear as you were equiped with but it much more subtle then that, I'm still trying to figure it all out, definately glad I joined the corp, they really give you a leg up. Got 21 hours till I can fly a mining barge, should be raking in the ISK then...

imapiratearg

« Reply #49 on: 27 Jun 2007, 08:07 »

I am!  And that sounds awesome.

Fucking wheel thing...Every time I try the Invention screen, it gives me no installations.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up