THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 11:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help find a song...please?  (Read 4296 times)

MalMal

Help find a song...please?
« on: 20 Jun 2007, 23:56 »

Ok... so I haven't been her long, so I don't know if I've earnt the right to bother you with my own threads, but this has been annoying me for a little while now...and so I thought to myself, if anyone knows, it'll be the massed readers of QC.

So anyway, it's a (quite possibly british) indie-rock band, quite poppy. The song was used on adverts in the UK, and we think they were either for Channel 4, E4, or some sort of mobile phone..

The defining characteristic of the song is that it begins with a very catchy, upbeat synth riff, with the synth sounding like it's taken straight out of a gameboy/nes game. (Sounding most like Super Mario i think!) Then the drums come in with a fill, and the riff continues...etc..etc..

It's in 6/8, and the riff is based heavily around a D major triad (Not ENTIRELY sure if that's the right key, but I think it is...)

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

MalMal

Re: Help find a song...please?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:00 »

I've tried that.. i got nothing.

Doesn't really help that I can only remember the opening riff....not even the product properly!

It's a lost cause!!!

Stefan Autsa

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:11 »

Heh, I was bothering this place with threads since I started!

Also, check out this site: http://www.commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk/index.asp

Maybe it could help.

Stefan Autsa

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:17 »

Not sure if this is the song you mean, but I had always wondered what this song was called.  Now I'm going to get a copy!

MalMal

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2007, 02:29 »

No, it isn't... but that's pretty cool!

well... even if i never find out the track... at least i've discovered that one.

Thanks for the site too...though can't find it on there. The channel 4 bits haven't been updated since about 2002.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2007, 04:45 »

Sing the riff and upload it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:09 »

Nooooo idea what song or ad you're talking about, but the description could match A.M.180 by Grandaddy, which is a pretty popular song and has appeared in at least one movie soundtrack.

MalMal

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2007, 05:53 »

That's IT! thank you!!!!!

Best forum EVAAAAA!

I owe you a drink or something!

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:01 »

Holy shit!  Inlander, I'm trying to find the lottery numbers for next Saturday's draw... any suggestions?

MalMal

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:03 »

I'm now doubting my advert hypothesis too..... maybe i just heard it on 28 Days Later... if so...he did it on eronous information!

Inlander... what number am I thinking of?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:44 »

I have a midi version of that riff as my mobile 'phone ringtone. Fine song.

EDIT: I guess maybe we could turn this into a Grandaddy thread? Under the Western Freeway is my favourite album of theirs. Umm . . .that's about it. Okay, good threading everyone!
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2007, 06:46 by Inlander »

MalMal

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:53 »

I bet everyone round you HATES that: If I heard that, it'd be in my head for WEEKS!

Thanks again!
fine FINE song.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:56 »

Summer Here Kids, off the above album, rocks my socks off.  I'm a real sucker for garden path-ing songs - you know where you think you can parse a sentence one way and then the next word is something you weren't expecting?

Generally I don't like Grandaddy very much, though, because all the mellow, warbly business reminds me too much of Neil Young.  I really don't like Neil Young at all.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jun 2007, 06:59 »

I bet everyone round you HATES that: If I heard that, it'd be in my head for WEEKS!

You greatly overestimate the number of telephone calls I receive.

And, you're welcome. For the record: Grandaddy's album Sumday was briefly available here in Australia (and elsewhere, probably) with a bonus disc, the majority of which consisted of a live recording from the 2003 Glastonbury Festival. Included on that disc is an excellent rendition of the song in question.

MalMal

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jun 2007, 07:43 »

Cheers... I shall scour the woefully inadequet record shops in my home town, and then buy it off the internet as always!

What's the album like? I know a bit of granddaddy aside from that track, and quite like them, so I'm fairly tempted to buy it anyway, but thought I'd inquire first.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 21 Jun 2007, 17:20 »

It's a Grandaddy album, which means it's all right, has a few good songs on it and one really ace one ("Now It's On"), but overall isn't very exciting to listen to, so you put it on the shelf and forget about it for several months, and then you see it again one day and go "Oh yeah, forgot I had that. I think I'll put it on. It's all right."
Pages: [1]   Go Up