THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghost Hardware  (Read 4634 times)

!!!CPAOI!!!

Ghost Hardware
« on: 18 Jun 2007, 21:19 »

I don't know if anyone else on this forum keeps up with dubstep or grime, but Burial just put out a new 12" called "Ghost Hardware" and it is rocking my world.  It's not too much of a musical progression from the last record, mostly streamlining the bass sound, but the A-side and "Exit Wounds" are great tracks.

Have you heard this shit Amok?

Stefan Autsa

Re: Ghost Hardware
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2007, 06:28 »

Yeah, most of the dubstep stuff does sound a little samey, mainly because of it being s genre defined by pretty strict rules and sounds, but Burial is one of the better ones for sure.  You've just reminded me that I had ordered the Distance and Boxcutter  albums, and that it has been a month since I did.  Those fuckers and their shoddy delivery times!!

iTAL tEK's 12" on Mu  is pretty fucking phenomenal too, one of the best of heard. 

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2007, 06:37 »

Most of the Planet Mu released stuff is tangential to either genre, which may be why it's more interesting to those who aren't convinced by dubstep or grime proper.  That Distance stuff is like half-metal, half-dubstep.  Bizarre.

I don't like any of it very much, but I keep track of dubstep because I keep thinking I really ought to like it - I love where it came from, UK garage, and so on, plus dub, plus moody electronica, but I just find the reality about as boring as possible.  The vein Hyperdub are pushing - Burial, Kode 9, et al - is by all accounts of friends in London also pretty tangential to what's being played in clubs.  Still, it's not bad.

Quite like the recent Soul Jazz Records comp, Box of Dub.  It's basically 90s style digi-dub for the most part, but features DMZ and Skream and so on.

There's supposed to be a remix album of (nerdy German dubbed out electronica producer) Pole's stuff in the works that's reworks by dubstep producers.

I think the only 2nd-gen dubstep tune I genuinely love is DMZ's Anti-War Dub.  Crikey.

Stefan Autsa

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2007, 06:55 »

Most of dubstep seems to be a competition as to how low they can get that dubby bass wobble, rather than make a tune.  Kind of how there are loads of people doing Venetian Snares style off-kilter timings without actually trying to put any semblance of a tune in. John Peel was playing proper dubstep way before anyone else cottoned on, or at least that's what I remember being told.  I'm not really clued in as to which genres these artists fit in. so if they're wrong please don't shoot me.

I  trust most of the Planet Mu, as I know that if Mike P thinks it's good enough, then it usually is, seeing as he seems to like the weirder artists in those genres (like me). I like Distance for that reason you mentioned; have you heard Traffic?  I rarely say the word wicked, but I am tempted to.

I'm no planet mu fanatic, but it does seem a lot of electronic artists that I end up liking or listening to are situated there.  If they had DJ Scotch Egg, it'd be my favourite label.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2007, 08:29 »

Who, me? I know absolutely nothing of 'dubstep,' no idea what it is. This CD seems as good a place to start as any then I spose :P

!!!CPAOI!!!

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2007, 11:32 »

Who, me? I know absolutely nothing of 'dubstep,' no idea what it is. This CD seems as good a place to start as any then I spose :P

Pick this up for sure but listen to Burial's self-titled from last year first.

Also keep in mind that while Burial is usually classified as dubstep, it's not really representative of the "genre" as a whole.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 11:53 by !!!CPAOI!!! »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2007, 14:55 »

That self-titled Burial record was alright, but I couldn't help feeling that there was something missing. It wasn't in the same league as the likes of Loefah, Benga and Skream for me. I'll probably check this new 12" out at some point though, if nothing else the spoken word on Spaceape was funny so if there's something like that again it'll be worth my while.

Talking of Dubstep, barefiles.com is back up. It has some really good dubstep and grime mixes, I really like the darkstep mix Trafo did I got from there a little while back. I have no idea exactly what darkstep is, but I do know I like it.
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2007, 16:10 by a pack of wolves »
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Stefan Autsa

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2007, 15:46 »

Talking of Dubstep, barefiles.com is back up. It has some really good dubstep and grime mixes, I really like the darkstep mix Trafo did I got from there a little while back. I have no idea exactly what darkstep is, but I do know I like it.

Man, this forum is giving me too much music, and for free as well!  I'll have a good rummage though that site tomorrow.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2007, 16:20 »

Just to give you a full overload of stuff then, here's a pretty tidy Skream mix from Radio 1 I found on another forum: http://www.gotdarker.com/?fileref=195a5 … fed23e8185
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!
Pages: [1]   Go Up