THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 16:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Resident Evil 4 - Wii  (Read 39267 times)

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
Resident Evil 4 - Wii
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 02:07 »

I know it's out in the US already, and it's coming to the UK this Friday, and I don't know whether to get it or not.

For someone who has and loves the GC version, is it worth getting?
Do the controls add/detract from the game at all?  And are there any other differences?
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Resident Evil 4 - Wii
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:42 »

I, unfortunately, don't have the cash to get it yet. From everything I've heard, though, the control scheme was quite well executed.

Aside from the controls, the only other difference is that they added the PS2 extras in (Seperate Ways minigame, etc...). Plus, it's only $30, so it's likely worth the trouble.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2007, 08:16 »

I bought the GC version when it was $20 and once I get a Wii I'll spring for this version. I love RE4 to death even though I suck too much to finish any of the bonus stuff.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2007, 09:26 »

I'm not going to lie to you guys, the controls are a bit of a pain in the ass, especially the knife controls. Also, and this was probably a trouble with the GC game but I never played it so I wouldn't know, your perspective is almost insanely limited and it's tough to rectify with the control system. On the other hand maybe the fact that I have mono sound is part of the trouble.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:36 »

Part of what made the gamecube version so powerful were the crappy controls and the lack of freedom. It helped make sure you never really got completely comfortable.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:40 »

On the other hand I have goddamn destroyed some of those chainsaw dudes.

ackblom12

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2007, 12:04 »

Just got my copy today. So far I think the controls are a HELL of an improvement over both the PS2 and the GC. I haven't noticed any real change in the perspective (I owned the GC version), though from what I remember the limited perspective felt like a very purposeful design to keep some of the survival horror feel of the older games.

Either way, I seem to have gained the ability to actually utilize the kicks this time through. I never really got the hang of them when I had it for GC, and dear god are they awesome.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2007, 17:23 »

Yeah man. When a horde of angry Spanish zombie dudes are running up to you and shouting and four of them reach you at the same time, shooting all of them and kicking one means like two heads explode. It's great.

simplename9

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2007, 17:33 »

If you played it for the gamecube or ps2 and you liked it and you have some extra cash lying around then I'd say its a good buy. I haven't had any major control problems.

However if you've never played it before God requires you to go buy it before he smites your pathetic Resident Evil hating ass [edit] With an exclusive upgrade handcannon [/edit].
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2007, 17:36 by simplename9 »

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2007, 23:08 »

Man, what really sucked (aka, rocked) about my first play through for the GC, was I decided to do a no sniper run. I cannot possibly tell you how much more unnerving Regenerators are when you aren't using a thermal scoped Rifle.

I got quite good at using that damn laser scope for the pistol at really fucking long distance though.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jun 2007, 02:01 »

If the argument about the perspective is just a game design issue rather than a control one, I'm good with it.
I read an interview with one of the developers where they said that they had originally included the ability to move and strafe while firing, but it just destroyed the gameplay and made it too easy.  They removed it so you'd have a clear distinction between 'fight or flight'.

Another control question:  What are the 'button-press events' like?  I know some of them have you waving the remote instead of pounding a button, are they all like that?
'Cause I've gotta say, if I actually have to use accurate gestures to get through the knife fight with Krauser, I'm going to get my throat cut a lot more often...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 27 Jun 2007, 05:27 »

Accuracy doesn't really enter it, it's basically "WIGGLE" or "A+B."

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jun 2007, 06:27 »

Thank Christ. I didn't even think of the Krauser fight until he brought it up. That was, for me, the far and away hardest part of my original playthrough. Utterly bitchin' and badass scene, but fucking difficult.
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:05 »

Man, what really sucked (aka, rocked) about my first play through for the GC, was I decided to do a no sniper run. I cannot possibly tell you how much more unnerving Regenerators are when you aren't using a thermal scoped Rifle.

I got quite good at using that damn laser scope for the pistol at really fucking long distance though.

That's funny, the first time I played through the game I didn't want to waste money on a sniper rifle. Then I got to that ski lift part before you go to the boss fight with the Mayor guy, and I regretted it. It was one of those "hopeless situation" scenarios like you get in PC shooters with autosave where you round a corner and you've forgotten to reload your gun and suddenly the game pauses to auto-save and the next thing you know, three guys run at you and shoot you in the face. So you keep playing this one part of the game over and over until your muscle memory is able to get through it. That's kind of what happened to me at the RE4 ski lift part, only the pacing was more deliberate because I knew when/where they were coming and what to aim for, but yet I would still keep failing. So now everytime I play through the game without using the New Game+ option, I buy the sniper rifle right away.

So what's everybody's favorite part of the game?? I think the cabin part with Luis was a note perfect zombie movie moment. If you haven't tried it already, shoot Luis during this part. Or keep shooting the water before the fight with the giant crocodile. I love little touches like that.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:22 »

I had a bitch of a time with the lift part my first time, but I never use the rifle, way too slow.

I switched consistently between the shotgun and the rifle. Blast the oncoming lifts with the shotfun and it'll knock most of them out and blast the jumpers in the knee and they tumble right down.

My favorite part was probably the Krauser knight fight and the following fight with him. Those two scenes just feel so epicly and utterly badass.

Honorable mentions go to the cabin, the helicopter blitzkrieg on the island and chainsaw sisters (Not for the fun of it, but because I god damn near shit myself when those freaks jumped out at me).
JON MADE ME GAY

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2007, 11:49 »

Both Krauser fights get yay pluses in my book.

I also love Capcom's cheesy one-liners.
"Your right hand comes off?"
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2007, 13:50 »

I'm gonna be perfectly honest with you: It's absolutely nothing like Resident Evil 2. Seriously, about all it has in common is the frightening atmosphere and the fact Leon's in it (Someone else too, but I don't want to spoil anything).

That said, it's still far and away the best game in the entire fucking series. That's saying a lot, considering I love the Resident Evil series. It's more action horror than survival horror. It tends to focus more on action, as opposed to the puzzles and fleeing in the earlier games.

I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys fun things like puppies, sunshine or sex, but don't go in expecting it to be anything like the other games in the series.
JON MADE ME GAY

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2007, 14:13 »

I rented RE4 for the PS2 (I had sold my Gamecube before Resident Evil made its debut), and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I wish I had the cash for a Wii, since I've been meaning to play RE4 again and I desperately want to play it with a Wiimote.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2007, 15:46 »

I am looking forward to this!

I haven't played any of the games in this series since RE2. If it's anything like that, should be rad.

Tommy, this game is the first I've played since RE2 and it's superior to an almost infinite degree.

The voice acting alone renders RE2 unplayable.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2007, 16:16 »

Bullshit!

The awful voice acting in the early games is what makes them fun to this day!

"Jill! A giant snake! Ouch!"

"I hope that's not...Chris's blood..."

Shit, it goes as far as the remake. This right here is a work of beauty: Resident Evil Pr0n
JON MADE ME GAY

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jun 2007, 16:41 »

It's actually "I hope this isn't....Chris's blood." And I only know that because it's something that I always say.

It's pretty much the best line in the whole RE series. He pretty much grunts the word "Chris's."
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #21 on: 27 Jun 2007, 16:54 »

I still think Richard's "Ouch!" is the best.
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jun 2007, 17:42 »

The voice acting in RE2 really isn't THAT bad. I would hardly call RE2 unplayable, even with all the years it has put behind it by now. It's just that RE4 is such a quantum fucking leap for the series you nearly expect Scott Bakula to make an appearance.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #23 on: 27 Jun 2007, 19:13 »

Just got a chance to clock some time in on the game before Rescue Me and I will say, it is absolutely the fucking tits.
JON MADE ME GAY

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:30 »

If you think about it, the controls in RE4 aren't changed much from the earlier games.  They just changed the viewpoint and let you aim.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jun 2007, 08:40 »

Wait, what? That's why it's pretty much a complete departure from what the controls were.

I mean, yeah, you still move in the same dimension, but that's a common control scheme used in damn near every action or adventure game. It plays a lot more like a first person shooter now than any prior entry into the series.
JON MADE ME GAY

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jul 2007, 21:01 »

I couldn't help but giggle that from the beginning it seems that they have replaced Zombies with Europeans.

Not just any Europeans.

Spaniards.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #27 on: 05 Jul 2007, 04:35 »

I still find it funny that the US Government sent one super-agent to Spain.

Who doesn't speak Spanish.

They didn't think this might be helpful?

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #28 on: 05 Jul 2007, 16:24 »

I can't decide if I like the re-occuring merchant. On the one hand, I like the fact I can tune up and customise my weapons. I also like the fact I can buy and, importantly, sell anything I want. However, the fact that he appears every few rooms really ruins the atmosphere. You just want to go up to him and shout 'Who the shitting fuck are you?' and 'Why don't you get killed by all these fucking things that are killing me?' I also get annoyed by the screen where you talk to your helper lady. The dialogue is shitty and it's painful to sit through. I'm going to assume that since she's one of three characters in the whole game that she is the aforementioned traitor. Don't tell me if I'm right, I want to see what happens.

I think it might be a club of merchants who are scattered throughout the area. Y'know, they all dress and talk exactly alike. It's pretty funny to kill them, too: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/01/14

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jul 2007, 03:11 »

I never really got into the Mine Thrower.
By then I'd gotten used to fighting everything with either the handgun, shotgun or rifle, and I didn't want to lose valuable grenade space.

I'll have to go back and give it a go once I've finished the game.  I'm only at the part where you lose Ashley for the first time (is it wrong that I sighed with relief?  It's so much easier when I don't have to look after her, I look forward to her getting kidnapped.), but this is a lot more fun with the Wii controls.

On another note, have they tweaked the bosses since the GC version?  I had way more trouble with the Village Chief this time around.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jul 2007, 06:45 »

I don't think the bosses are any harder or tweaked, I think the problem is complacency. I did my first run through a year and a half ago and died in excess of twenty times. Then on the repeat run-throughs, you've got a better selection of guns and lose track of how hard this game can be without the vest and maxed out weapons.

The only real big difference is the drops. Enemies drop a shit-ton more money and a shit-ton less ammo.

In terms of weaponry, I recommend the following in particular:

I agree in terms of the TMP, it's 90% useless. The further along you go, the less useful it is for bosses. It's nice for Chief Mendez, just for the sake of knocking him off of the rafters, but from there on out, it's almost entirely useless. Just sell it so you get minimal ammo drops for it (And more shotgun ammo) and sell what little ammo you find for it otherwise.

For a handgun, stick with the Red9 or go for the Blacktail. I personally prefer the Blacktail as it takes up much less room in your inventory and is almost as powerful, but faster. The Red9 is definitely stronger, but I find the space tradeoff is useful.

Don't bother with the riot gun. Just upgrade the shit out of the original shotgun until the striker shotgun is available. The original shotty is almost as strong as the riot gun and cheaper to upgrade, plus it's better for longer distances than the riot gun once fully upgraded.

The semi-auto rifle is a Godsend and absolutely necessary later in the game when you run across a certain kind of enemy. It's also extremely useful in an upcoming part where you'll need to snipe quickly. I wouldn't recommend picking up the bolt action to begin with, it's not really necessary to have a rifle until you get to the point where you can get the SAR.

Stick with the Broken Butterfly for a magnum. It's much stronger than the Killer7.

Use your yellow herbs for Leon more than Ashley. The enemies don't typically attack her all that much, but Leon needs to be able to tank it once in a while.

Buy the treasure maps in every area. I can't stress how useful those are. It seems like you're dropping a lot of peseta on them, but the money you'll make using them easily balances it out. Attache cases are very useful and the vest you get later is a must for late levels.

If something has sockets, wait to sell it. The price goes up exponentially if you plug in corresponding jewels.

As is common knowledge, blind people can't see,  but their hearing is typically acute to the point where a really loud noise is very distracting. Remember that coming up.

If you're being attacked by one guy at a time, shoot 'em in the head, get up and do your A button attack, then knife the everliving fuck out of them on the ground. This saves ammo very nicely.

Edit: Almost forgot: Hold onto some flash grenades. Dunno if you've noted yet, but there's a reason the los plagas didn't stop popping out of the heads until after it got dark. They're weak to extremely bright lights and a flash grenade'll one hit kill them once they pop out. Go for headshots on groups of ganados (Your basic guys) and once a couple pop out, flash grenade 'em.
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2007, 06:47 by 0bsessions »
JON MADE ME GAY

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #31 on: 06 Jul 2007, 07:15 »

BOSS SPOLIERSSSSSSSSS

When you fight Krauser, during the part where you fight him hand-to-hand to get the last piece you need to open the door, use the knife against him. Sure, you can stick to your guns, but the knife does just as much damage if not more during this part and saves you important ammo.

END BOSS SPOLIERSSSSSSS

ackblom12

« Reply #32 on: 07 Jul 2007, 20:38 »

*sniffles of joy*

My fiance is playing Resident Evil 4.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #33 on: 08 Jul 2007, 18:45 »

I bought this a couple of days ago in New York and now that I am home I will hopefully start it tonight. I never played the Gamecube version so a budget-priced remake with the PS2 additions sounded great to me.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #34 on: 09 Jul 2007, 03:09 »

My wrist is killing me :(. As much as I love the wii, shitjesus my wrists just aren't what they used to.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #35 on: 09 Jul 2007, 03:10 »

Obligatory masturbation joke.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jul 2007, 22:24 »

Quote from: 0bsessions

Don't bother with the riot gun. Just upgrade the shit out of the original shotgun until the striker shotgun is available. The original shotty is almost as strong as the riot gun and cheaper to upgrade, plus it's better for longer distances than the riot gun once fully upgraded.

Stick with the Broken Butterfly for a magnum. It's much stronger than the Killer7.

I do plan on doing all the things that i have deleted from your post, but have you actually experimented on those  2 things? I'm just asking out of the want for a more efficient Spaniard zombie killing arsenal.
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:46 »

I'm stuck on the part where you have to defend the cabin with Luis from the huge swarm of ganados. I think it's because I play a lot of RPGs, so I instinctively hoard everything. I refuse using grenades and health items unless I absolutely have to, so I keep getting down to almost dead but saying to myself "I can make it a bit longer". But then some asshole attacks me from behind and I die. Anybody got any tips for this part?

ackblom12

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:07 »

First off, the pistol is almost completely useless in the house. Don't bother with anything but the shotgun and grenades. Immediately block 2 of the windows with furniture and blast the shit out of zombies in the one remaining window and continue that until the other windows are broken. If you see a plagas emerge, don't waste any time and just flash the son of a bitch. You'll find a ridiculous number of flash grenades, you're not wasting them. Also, Incendiary grenades are great when you finally need to head upstairs.

Mainly though, Just ignore the handgun's existence entirely.

Hunter

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:40 »

If it gets to hot down stairs, go up stairs.  I disagree with mr/ms ackbloom on the pistol agenda.  Aim for the knees and then shoot the heads until they come off.  This will work in the beginning when there is only a few zombies.  When there are zombies everywhere, toss flash grenades and work the shotgun.  If you need a few seconds to collect yourself, run upstairs and collect the ammo/health/grenades and then return to the top of the stair case.  The zombies will be funneled up leaving you to use the pistol or shotgun, depending on your ammo.  Luis will be behind you shooting at the zombies coming in through the windows so take time to spin around and knock them down with a few shot gun rounds.

So actually, using grenades does work.  When your health is in the yellow you may just want to use one green herb/plant.

Also: Who hates going into the hospital? Every time I go in there, I'm low on all ammo and the gurgling from those things make me jumpy.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2007, 13:43 by Hunter »
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:43 »

Well, I got through it but I've only got 2 green herbs and a first aid spray left, so hopefully I won't need a lot of health real soon.

Hunter

« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:44 »

You do.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:44 »

Well, fuck.

ackblom12

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2007, 13:44 »

That's a slight understatement.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2007, 14:18 »

Alright, so which of the two routes is less likely to kill me? It would help if one of them had more healing items.

Hunter

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2007, 14:22 »

The left would have a lot of drops from the zomiards but there are a lot of them and two very lovely ladies.  The right is just the big guy. So take the left and make sure you have lots of shot gun ammo.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2007, 14:45 »

To the right it is, then.

ackblom12

« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2007, 15:00 »

Actually, if you wanna save ammo against El Gigante, run up to him when he kneels and slash the shit out of the Plagas. Twice with furious waggling should work.

Also, just a note, when I said ignore handguns earlier, I meant for the house only. Ignoring the handguns through the rest of the game would be suicide, or a knife run. Both of which I don't have the patience for.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2007, 16:05 »

I killed El Gigante with a minor wound and almost no ammunition loss, and now I'm right before Chief Mendez or whatever the fuck his name is. It looks like there are herbs inside where I'm fighting him, so my dismal lack of healing items isn't too much of an issue. Any strategies I should be aware of?

ackblom12

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2007, 16:16 »

If you have the TMP, save it for his second form. It knocks his ass right off of the rafter's he's got ahold of. Otherwise, just blast his torso with your most powerful weapon and keep your distance.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up