Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Krug or Boeckner?

Krug
Boeckner

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handsome Furs  (Read 4116 times)

Chill

Handsome Furs
« on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:12 »

The new band, Handsome Furs, with their CD titled "Plague Park" is amazing and if you have not listened to them, you are in fact a moron.Dan Boeckner(Wolf Parade, Swan Lake et al.) knows how to write a song, and make it sound really good. I can't stop listening to this CD, Canadian bands are so great :D
Look into this CD, it is a must hear for any fan of Canadian indie/indie in general.

WOO this is my first post

ScrambledGregs

Re: Handsome Furs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2007, 07:50 »

Insert 'Spencer Krug Is Better' argument here.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2007, 08:38 »

are the Handsome Furs like the Jefferson Starship of the Psychedelic Furs?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:35 »

The Handsome Furs album is my favourite of the year so far, and I actually prefer it to Spencer Krug's work with/as Sunset Rubdown.  Having said that, I've always found Krug's songs as a member of Wolf Parade to be much stronger to Dan Boeckner's, and the Swan Lake album last year (which Krug was a part of, not Boeckner) was at least as strong as Plague Park.

Saying Canadian bands are so great is kind of a silly statement.  There just happens to be a rather thriving independent music scene in various parts of Canada (mainly Vancouver and Montreal) at the moment, but there is a load of poor stuff coming out as well.  Nickelback, Sum 41, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Three Days Grace, Simple Plan, they all seem to still be releasing albums.  There are certainly wonderful Canadian bands, and I could list them for a while, but let's not over-generalize.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:45 »

Nickelback, Sum 41, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Three Days Grace, Simple Plan
Nickelback still win awards in Canada somehow, Sum 41 at least did that whole Darfur thing so I'll give them credit for social awareness even if their last two records were really bad, Celine Dion and Bryan Adams don't even live here anymore I think so they're about as Canadian as Jim Carrey, Three Days Grace are just awful, and ever since Simple Plan lost their French accents they've been totally boring but regrettably Canadian.

These are what I think of all those bands.

You also missed Hedley. Hedley are fucking disastrous.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2007, 10:51 »

Fuck you Johnny.  I'd driven Hedley from my mind.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:08 »

My friend had to review their live DVD. He will never be able to drive them out.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:13 »

To turn this topic from Hedley.

Have any of you heard Dan Boeckner's pre-Wolf Parade band, Atlas Strategic?  They had two albums I believe, though I think they're both out of print at the moment.  The sound was a lot more similar to Dan's work in Wolf Parade than with Handsome Furs, but a decent bit sloppier, without any of Spencer's crazy keyboard lines.  Well worth listening to.  I may put them up in the Sendspace thread a bit later.

Chill

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2007, 11:38 »

Oh no, I haven't heard any of them, but I knew there was another band(I totally thought Dan helped out on Swan Lake,,,,fuuuuck).I'm pumped for the 7th of september b/c Wolf parade is coming to Vancouver and I'm totally going:D:D:D:D, i've only ever seen them with the Arcade Fire(which happened to be a life changing experience) so I wonder what it'll be like with just them.

SeanBateman

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2007, 12:40 »

I saw them open for Modest Mouse.

It was their first live show.

I enjoyed them.

I have never listened to wolf parade.

But I liked this band before you knew who they are.

kablaaamo

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2007, 15:46 »

It's a little harsh to call everyone morons who haven't found this album and given it a spin....

I have to ask: exactly how much of 'Canadian indie' have you listened to/explored? Handsome Furs are hot shit right now, in certain circles, but (here it comes guys) Spencer Krug, in my opinion, is a hell of a lot better. And other bands are better than Krug. You should dig a little deeper, maybe.

Re: the album--I downloaded the leak of Plague Park a few months back and got bored of it quickly; to my ears, most of it is watered down Wolf Parade and what's left is not quite as good as that. A certain energy is missing on most of the album; listlessly going through some neat electronic sounds is not really that entertaining after a couple of listens. 'Cannot Get It Started' is good song in and of itself, and I like 'Handsome Furs Hate This City' but two good songs do not a make a great album. I won't say it's bad, but I will say it is pretty dull.

I wanted to like this, because for the longest time I tended to like the Boeckner Wolf Parade songs more...but Sunset Rubdown is great enough, and this, boring enough, to slowly change my mind. Krug's voice is also easier to take large doses of; less whiny.

As a parting note...the cover art of Plague Park tickles me, regardless of the music. For whatever reason, I like it a lot.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2007, 17:29 »

PLague park is justa damn fine record. It's less accessable than wolf parade, but therre is so much more in it to discover. Why do we have to compare Krug and Boekner, they're both great musicians and they're both giving us consistantly good albums.

Chill

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jun 2007, 19:27 »

I love the whiney voice, it's almost like yodeling. so original, i can't get enough. I agree with the previous post, they both rock, and I don't see any reason to compare the two

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jun 2007, 09:10 »

Krug sounds more whiny/David Bowie-esque to me and I love his voice. I've always thought that Boeckner sounds more gruff and almost Beck-esque at points. But I come up with weird comparisons for voices.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2007, 06:42 »

Man, I've been trying to get into Swan Lake's Beast Moans for a good two months... now I'm blaring it through my headphones and suddenly it all makes sense. WHAT A FUCKING RECORD...

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2007, 10:49 »

That album needs headphones as badly as Broken Social Scene's self-titled.  So much happening in it.  I'll have to put it on again later today.

Chill

« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2007, 11:32 »

Same thing happened to me with Swan Lake, I bought it, listened to it a few times, didn't like it, got pissed off cause i love the band members and the hype was so huge, then I forced myself to listen to it at least once a day only to find out that everything people were(are) saying was true.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2007, 16:18 »

My problem with getting into the Swan Lake album is that I wasn't expecting it to sound so Frog Eyes-y. By that I mean how the production of it sounds. There is reverb up on the ass on everything, and it sounds so chaotic at times. But then it slowly starts to make sense.

Chill

« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2007, 21:01 »

Music like that makes me angry that I don't enjoy it right away, after I do get into a CD that's so phenomenal I have difficulty stopping and I don't understand how I didn't like it sooner. On the other hand it's nice because you're totally familiar with all the songs already so since the learning curve is abolished the music is more accessible than an album that sounds fantastic right away. I dunno, I guess there's work involved in listening to music now...lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up